Why all the flesh at graduation ceremonies?

• Thread starter Servant of Jesus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Servant of Jesus

So, there should be some data that shows how families that wear less modest clothes are somehow more susceptible to risky behavior that puts families at risk for divorce and dysfunction and substance abuse that also is not biased data. But, there is not; this is simply as assumption you have constructed yourself.

Due to a lack of time to research this issue, I was expressing an opinion- but I am sure there are in fact statistics out there that show that people who engage in risky and risque behavior do in fact have higher divorce rates and family problems.

So, how does me looking at a Playboy go out of control? Can I fall into the toilet? Sure, a man should be spending time at home with his wife instead of going to the strip club every day, and men should never compare their wives/girlfriends to other women; but its not like immodesty, inappropriate content, or risque dress causes these things. We men are simply creatures of primal instinct and perennial desire. Its not a sin to simply want to be sexually desired or attractive.

Just because a woman is "hot" doesn't mean people look at her as if thats the only thing she has going for her. Men don't assess intrinsic value to women who are physically attractive simply based on looks. A person's intrinsic value goes way beyond her outward appearance.

I have too much respect for my wife to want to go to a strip club, read men's magazines, etc. If nothing else, I know that she wouldn't want me to do those things, so, again, out of respect, I don't. And being a Christian, I rely on God's guidance to keep me away from temptation if I am traveling; for example, on a business trip.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Due to a lack of time to research this issue, I was expressing an opinion- but I am sure there are in fact statistics out there that show that people who engage in risky and risque behavior do in fact have higher divorce rates and family problems.

I have too much respect for my wife to want to go to a strip club, read men's magazines, etc. If nothing else, I know that she wouldn't want me to do those things, so, again, out of respect, I don't. And being a Christian, I rely on God's guidance to keep me away from temptation if I am traveling; for example, on a business trip.

My parents were hard-core baptist and divorce after 12 years of marriage. I don't think my mother ever showed more than her ankles. And we were in church 3 times a week.

My brother who is also a hard core baptist, was divorced after only 5 years of marriage.

Most of the kids I grew up with in that chruch have been married and divorced--some of them are working on thier 3rd marriage.

I'm the evil athiest, and I don't have a probelm with someone showing a bit of flesh, and I've been happily married for going on 15 years now.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
As soon as those statistics are on the table we can begin considering them in our discussion. Until then, nope.
"I´m sure there are in fact statistics" is a statement that requires to be ignored.

Upvote 0
S

Servant of Jesus

My parents were hard-core baptist and divorce after 12 years of marriage. I don't think my mother ever showed more than her ankles. And we were in church 3 times a week.

My brother who is also a hard core baptist, was divorced after only 5 years of marriage.

Most of the kids I grew up with in that chruch have been married and divorced--some of them are working on thier 3rd marriage.

I'm the evil athiest, and I don't have a probelm with someone showing a bit of flesh, and I've been happily married for going on 15 years now.

Well, my wife and I have been married for 31 years and are just as much in love now as we ever were- we totally give the credit to God. I would say that our Christian faith is the most fundamental reason for that happiness- it was responsible for bringing us together (she was praying for a husband, I was just lucky that God took pity on me) and guides us through life every single day. My favorite activity is still to go to church with her and stand and hold hands during the musical part of the service.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, my wife and I have been married for 31 years and are just as much in love now as we ever were- we totally give the credit to God. I would say that our Christian faith is the most fundamental reason for that happiness- it was responsible for bringing us together (she was praying for a husband, I was just lucky that God took pity on me) and guides us through life every single day. My favorite activity is still to go to church with her and stand and hold hands during the musical part of the service.

So, it seems obvious that relationships succeed -- and fail -- for a wide variety of reasons.

Upvote 0
S

Servant of Jesus

As soon as those statistics are on the table we can begin considering them in our discussion. Until then, nope.
"I´m sure there are in fact statistics" is a statement that requires to be ignored.

Oh? That might be your opinion- but where is the factual basis for you deciding that some comments can be ignored?

Back to go back to the topic- check out this Australian study for starters that found that infidelity and drug and alcohol abuse were two of the leading causes of divorce. I would suggest that infidelity is an example of risque behavior, and drug and alcohol abuse, an example of risky behavior.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Oh? That might be your opinion- but where is the factual basis for you deciding that some comments can be ignored?

Back to go back to the topic- check out this Australian study for starters that found that infidelity and drug and alcohol abuse were two of the leading causes of divorce. I would suggest that infidelity is an example of risque behavior, and drug and alcohol abuse, an example of risky behavior.

Adultery is having sex with someone not your spouse.

Drug abuse is pretty self explanatory.

Neither of these have anything to do with the style of dress a person wears.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
The factual basis for that is that the allegedly existing studies have not been presented, and are thus, for purposes of our conversation, non-existent. Just like mere assumptions that there are studies saying the opposite can simply be ignored.
Studies that are presented can be discussed. Studies that are assumed to exist don´t deserve being discussed. Assumptions aren´t a factual basis.

Climbing mountains is risky behaviour, as well. The "risky behaviour" part that with some stretch can possibly be considered integral part of drug and alcohol abuse is not necessarily that which causes the high divorce rates, and certainly it would be logically fallacious to conclude that because some behaviours that can be said to be risky often lead to divorce means that risky behaviours cause high divorce rates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't had very many direct answers to my questions/comments in this thread, so maybe I've been too vague. So let me ask some blunt questions.

What is that bugs you about current grade 12 events and graduation ceremonies?

a) That students who have passed their coursework but have not yet gotten their provincial exam marks back are allowed to walk down in grad ceremonies? (or US equivalent)
b) That there are proms for 11th and 12th grade students (and whoever's their date, if any) and also special end-of-year school-sanctioned events for those who are in grade 12, and that they allow non-graduating students to attend?
c) That women aren't legally bound to be covered from head to toe, or collar bone to knee, or whatever?
d) That students in alternative highschool programs with different school years are allowed to attend district-wide events or attend as dates? (ie, self-paced programs, International Baccalaureate programs, etc?)
e) That science has not shown that wearing scanty clothing, like some prom dresses, leads to more sexual assaults?
f) That men have to use self-control and can't just be like a puppy running after a hotdog?
g) That science has not shown that scanty clothing, like some prom dresses, leads to more unwanted pregnancies or to adultery? (which has existed and exists in countries with very strict dress codes anyways for thousands of years?)

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Can't speak for others- but my OP concerned my observation that the overall graduation festivities seem to have strayed from honoring academic success to being an event too much focussed on seeing who can wear the most revealing prom dress.

Have we corrected you in the sense that prom and graduation are two separate events?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Can't speak for others- but my OP concerned my observation that the overall graduation festivities seem to have strayed from honoring academic success to being an event too much focussed on seeing who can wear the most revealing prom dress.
I still wonder what graduations you are attending. My graduation was casual clothes, with the option of renting a cloak and mortar board. There wasn't any gratuitous flesh (unless you count women showing their bare faces in front of men :swoon:).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow. What a thread. I don't know where to start.

The days of virginal 21 year olds. . . . past
The days of virginal 18 year olds . . . . improbable
The days of virginal 16 year olds . . . 50/50
The days of virginal 14 year olds. . . well that is who I was "doing it" with when I was 12.

The world ain't right, the world ain't pure. . . . bloody monkey . . . . the world is very far from what it should be and it ain't any worse than the day Adam stepped out of Eden. Sin is sin, always has been always will be. . . ain't no sense in wringing hands. Grow up! If it disturbs you do something about it, if it doesn't disturb you enough to go from words to action . . .. then . . . keep it under your bloody monkey farce ridden hat! Action! If you don't DO, I got no interest in what you have to SAY. What makes you think that kids who don't consider you a Sibbling in Christ will think more of you?

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The days of virginal 21 year olds. . . . past
The days of virginal 18 year olds . . . . improbable
The days of virginal 16 year olds . . . 50/50
The days of virginal 14 year olds. . . well that is who I was "doing it" with when I was 12.

Ehhhhh......not exactly.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Its the celebration of becoming and man or a women and leaving the house (in some cases). its not an academic success. (in high school at least)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.