May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If indeed it happened that way via God choosing to do it that way then he would have explained it that way very easily in Genesis by telling us that we are derived from the lower animals. Instead he clearly tells us that we are distinct because of being made in his image. Something he refuses to say about the other material creatures he created. Instead he places humanity over them.
That's another thing I hadn't mentioned yet. Are we literally made in God's image? I've heard even literalists say that "made in His image" refers to our ability to reason, or our ability to make moral decisions and the like. If it's literal, does that mean that God has ears, and a nose?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why shouldn't the details be significant? Surely, the writer of the Genesis account could have done as you did here and said, "God created and humans screwed up His creation." It would have saved a lot of time and effort. Instead, we have a fairly elaborate explanation of the events of Creation and of those that led up to the Fall of Man. Why? Well, we find in the details of Creation and the Fall facts that are fundamental to the doctrines of the Christian faith.
I remember it being pointed out that sin traces back to an individual, or a pair of individuals, as even Paul references it that way. And I remember the idea of a physical death being referenced as well. Am I forgetting something? Help me out if I am, we're onto nine pages here. I'll talk about the physical death bit in the next section of the post. Can you tell me why it's significant that sin traces back to one pair of humans and not a group of humans?
For example, the Genesis account describes the advent of death and corruption into Creation as a direct consequence of Adam's sin. But if we say that organisms lived and died long before Adam and Eve showed up, how do we understand death to be a consequence of human sin? We have to start layering on qualifications and explanations the text of Scripture doesn't make or even imply in order to make sense of the Genesis account of the Fall. As Occam's Razor suggests, this multiplication of explanations often indicates a departure from the truth.
I'm not convinced that physical death is what "entered the world". I see a spiritual death, as in a separation from God, for sure. But Adam and Eve didn't die that day that they ate the fruit. Someone else pointed out that as far as a physical death goes, there was no purpose for the Tree of Life if death wasn't already a natural thing in the Garden. What did the Tree of Life do if there was no such thing as physical death?
The bottom line is whether or not the Bible is trustworthy. Trust is directly related to truth. People don't trust liars; they don't put their faith in what has been shown to be dishonest and/or false. When believers start to say of Scripture, "This bit is wrong," they open the way for those who want to erode the authority and veracity of the Bible entirely to do so. If the Bible is false in one instance, how do we assert it isn't so in any other? Surely, science has shown that seas don't divide as the Red Sea did for Moses and the Israelites fleeing Egypt. And, of course, science makes it clear that miracles don't happen. The blind can't be made to see with some mud and spit; no one can walk on water; five loaves and two fishes cannot feed thousands; certainly, science is unequivocal about the impossibility of someone rising from the dead three days after their decease. When we say, "Science must confine and order the accounts of Scripture," we must immediately discount all supernatural events. And when we do that, the Bible is emptied of its authority and its truth and becomes nothing more than just another text of silly moralizing mythology.
If this argumentation is true, then we can't trust the Bible because the Earth, very clearly, is not flat. No matter how tall a mountain is, you cannot see every nation on Earth from it's peak. It is false in that instance, so you can't assert it isn't false in any other instance, right?

I would say that's wrong. We've been over this already with the heliocentric model that if science shows something to be allegory, that's okay, and it doesn't make the Bible untrustworthy. So your bottom line is wrong, or the Bible is untrustworthy already.

And no, if we say, "look at all the evidence of an old Earth and people living in it for a lot longer than 6000 years" that does not equate to "supernatural events are impossible". Science doesn't say "It's impossible for a God to exist and to create an Earth and its inhabitants in the manner described in Genesis". That's a straw man. All science claims to tell us is that it didn't happen in the manner described in Genesis. These are not the same thing. Science doesn't say, "It's impossible for a God to exist and create a world with a star that revolves around that world" it merely claims that is not what happens with stars and planets in our universe.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's another thing I hadn't mentioned yet. Are we literally made in God's image? I've heard even literalists say that "made in His image" refers to our ability to reason, or our ability to make moral decisions and the like. If it's literal, does that mean that God has ears, and a nose?

I have heard arguments stating that God exists in the human physical form but in an infinitely glorified way.
Such persons seem to forget that human physiology has the functional purpose of survival on the planet Earth with its gravitational pull, an atmosphere from which to derive oxygen via lungs, and that the human organs such as eyes are described to merge efficiently with our earth-bounded environments. Beyond that environment such as in the vacuum of space we immediately perish if unprotected. So their claim of God's being physically identical to us would need to include the supposition that his organs are perhaps designed for a heaven which mimics our Earth environment but in a glorified manner as well.

That view was new to me since I was taught that God as a spirit doesn't resemble any earthly creature and that neither do the angels. That heaven being a spirit realm design as a habitat for spirit creatures, has no need for human physiology and that the transformation from earth to heavenly life involves leaving our human form, behind for heavenly survival purposes. What exactly we would appear like in that transformed condition I have no idea. Angels are indeed compared to morning stars so some type of inherent luminance might be involved. Not the same luminance as God himself who dwells behind humanly unapproachable light but a luminance nevertheless.
Job 38:7
New International Version
while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

1 Timothy 6:16
who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

New Living Translation

Beyond that scripturally based assumption I can offer nothing more.

Actually, the Bible itself tells us that what is prepared is beyond human imagination.

1 Corinthians 2:9
However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him--

So that might disqualify both concepts right off the bat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

----image doesn't mean an exact replica, a clone. Ken and Barbie are made in our image--so are cartoons----no matter how realistic a doll may get--they are still not human. The bible does say He hears us, that He smells incense and sacrifices--He obviously sees, the bible talks about His hands---but not one of those would be exactly like ours. We'll have to wait and see!

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I have heard arguments stating that God exists in the human physical form but in an infinitely glorified way.
Such persons seem to forget that human physiology has the functional purpose of survival on the planet Earth with its gravitational pull, an atmosphere from which to derive oxygen via lungs, and that the human organs such as eyes are described to merge efficiently with our earth-bounded environments. Beyond that environment such as in the vacuum of space we immediately perish if unprotected. So their claim of God's being physically identical to us would need to include the supposition that his organs are perhaps designed for a heaven which mimics our Earth environment but in a glorified manner as well.

That view was new to me since I was taught that God as a spirit doesn't resemble any earthly creature and that neither do the angels. That heaven being a spirit realm design as a habitat for spirit creatures, has no need for human physiology and that the transformation from earth to heavenly life involves leaving our human form, behind for heavenly survival purposes. What exactly we would appear like in that transformed condition I have no idea. Angels are indeed compared to morning stars so some type of inherent luminance might be involved. Not the same luminance as God himself who dwells behind humanly unapproachable light but a luminance nevertheless.
Job 38:7
while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

1 Timothy 6:16
who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

New Living Translation

Beyond that scripturally based assumption I can offer nothing more.

Actually, the Bible itself tells us that what is prepared is beyond human imagination.

1 Corinthians 2:9
However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him--

So that might disqualify both concepts right off the bat.
I'm confused now. Are you saying that we look like God or not? Your first post seemed to say yes, this post seems to say no. The point was, do we take that part of Genesis literally or figuratively?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
----image doesn't mean an exact replica, a clone. Ken and Barbie are made in our image--so are cartoons----no matter how realistic a doll may get--they are still not human. The bible does say He hears us, that He smells incense and sacrifices--He obviously sees, the bible talks about His hands---but not one of those would be exactly like ours. We'll have to wait and see!
No, it wouldn't be an exact replica. If we're to imagine that it is important that we look similar to God though, it would seem as though He would be an enhanced version of us, in the way that we are an enhanced version of a cartoon. i.e. God would have a nose, but it would be the perfect nose. I could understand Him not having all the same features as us, but a face isn't really a face without eyes, nose, and mouth. Maybe not ears.

But He wouldn't need those things to sense things, they would just be part of the shape of Him. So if He decided to make us to look like Him, then He would have decided, "okay, that bump on their face that I have on my face will be for smelling". Anything's possible, but that seems exceedingly weird to me.

I've never thought of God as being defined by our three dimensions, even if He is capable of transcending them.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm confused now. Are you saying that we look like God or not? Your first post seemed to say yes, this post seems to say no. The point was, do we take that part of Genesis literally or figuratively?

I understood that you wanted a specific answer and I responded to the best of my ability by saying that their are two views and that one involves a Godlike glorified image of a human being while the other doesn't. In both cases however, we would still share God's faculties of Love, Justice, Wisdom and power so in that sense we can definitely claim to be in God's image regardless of our outward appearance whether it resembles his exact outward physical appearance or not.

Please note that literalness or concreteness of concepts varies in the Bible in accordance with the book's purpose and the style which was employed to write it. Some books, such as Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy Joshua, Judges Ruth, 1st Samuel 2nd Samuel, 1st Chronicles, 2nd Chronicles 1st Kings 2nd Kings are predominantly historical and make very little use of poetical devises such as metaphors, similes, hyperbole, irony, metonymy, etcetera. In the Book of Judges, Samson uses a bit of poetry when demolishing the Philistine temple of Dagon as he did when fooling the Philistines with his puzzle about the lion and the honey puzzle.

Genesis though primarily historical does have poetic expressions uttered by the patriarchs during prophesying or describing how strongly they felt about emotionally wrenching events. The deathbed prophesies of Joseph are a case on point when he calls Judah his Son a lion and uses a staff as a symbol representing his tribal importance in reference to the coming of the Messiah. His other sons are likewise described in poetic language. But the account of most of the rest of Genesis is literal history and the straightforward dry manner in which it is delivered makes absolutely room for no doubt in that.

In contrast books such as Psalms, Proverbs, ecclesiastics, Song of Solomon are replete with such literary devices as are the books of the Major and minor prophets although they also are predominantly historical. Daniel uses beasts to represent the rise of empires including the Persian, Macedonian and the Roman. The book mentions a statue representing the world governments in historical order according to differences in metal and has God's kingdom topple them all as represented by are rock falling from heaven. The night when Babylon is overthrown is also poetically prophesied on the same night that is about to occur. Yet the book is predominantly historical. But there is absolutely no confusion between the two modes of communication since they are totally distinct from one another.

In short, the usage of symbology in one area doesn't automatically nullify the use of literal language in another.

The Book of Revelation is predominantly symbolic butt it has letters written to churches which refers to their literal spiritual condition at the time revelation was written. The Gospels have Parables which are symbolic but also contain the literal history of Jesus' ministry death and resurrection.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Can you tell me why it's significant that sin traces back to one pair of humans and not a group of humans?

The apostle Paul explains:

Romans 5:14-19
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.
16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification.
17 For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous.

I'm not convinced that physical death is what "entered the world". I see a spiritual death, as in a separation from God, for sure. But Adam and Eve didn't die that day that they ate the fruit.

There is nothing in the Genesis account to suggest that the death that came upon Adam and Eve was primarily spiritual. In fact, in God's judgment upon Adam He clarifies exactly what sort of death is going to come to Adam (and Eve):

Genesis 3:19
19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return."

Adam and Eve didn't need to die the moment they sinned for the sentence of death to be upon them.

Someone else pointed out that as far as a physical death goes, there was no purpose for the Tree of Life if death wasn't already a natural thing in the Garden. What did the Tree of Life do if there was no such thing as physical death?

I have no idea what the Tree of Life did in Eden. Adam and Eve were not forbidden from eating of it, however. Does its existence in Eden prove death was a part of God's initial Creation before the sin of Adam and Eve? Not if we allow Scripture to explain itself.

Romans 5:12
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Romans 8:20-22
20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope
21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

These verses appear to indicate that both mankind and the physical Creation are afflicted by the corrupting and death-inducing consequences of sin. Whatever we want to say about the Tree of Life it must be in accord with the rest of Scripture which doesn't seem to agree with the idea that death existed before the sin of Adam and Eve. As Genesis 1:31 declares,

Genesis 1:31
31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

It's hard to imagine God's Creation could be good while the death and corruption - and the pain and sorrow they produce - was an integral part of what God had made.

If this argumentation is true, then we can't trust the Bible because the Earth, very clearly, is not flat.

Where does Scripture say, "The Earth is flat and not actually a sphere"?

No matter how tall a mountain is, you cannot see every nation on Earth from it's peak. It is false in that instance, so you can't assert it isn't false in any other instance, right?

Depends upon the literary context in which such statements are made. Scripture speaks of the "table of the heart" in a number of instances, but we all know when it does that it is speaking figuratively. Scripture also uses the phrase "the four corners of the Earth" but no one understands this to mean the Earth actually has four corners. Again, this is plainly figurative language. Are the instances of which you are thinking actually figurative ones?

I would say that's wrong. We've been over this already with the heliocentric model that if science shows something to be allegory, that's okay, and it doesn't make the Bible untrustworthy.

That's right. The Bible's use of figurative language, or its speaking from the limited point of view of the human observer, does not mean it is in error when its figurative language or perspective does not perfectly accord with science. I don't know how many atheists I've talked to over the years, however, who have asserted that it does.

And no, if we say, "look at all the evidence of an old Earth and people living in it for a lot longer than 6000 years" that does not equate to "supernatural events are impossible".

This is the contention of every atheist against whom I have had to defend the Christian faith. I agree with you, though, that science cannot rule out the supernatural.

Science doesn't say "It's impossible for a God to exist and to create an Earth and its inhabitants in the manner described in Genesis". That's a straw man.

Well, it is at least a non sequitur. But this is exactly the sort of thinking many atheists hold. Some very liberal "Christians" adopt a softer version of this sort of reasoning, suggesting that while the Bible is, in the light of modern science, obviously mythological it still has some good bits that may help us live better lives. The entire Story of Redemption that is at the core of biblical revelation, however, is gutted by this sort of thinking and the authority of Scripture to mandate behaviour and thinking is also dissolved. If the Bible contains genuine falsehood and error in any part, it cannot truly be the word of the perfect God it claims to reveal and from whom it claims to have come.

All science claims to tell us is that it didn't happen in the manner described in Genesis.

Science doesn't tell us anything; scientists do. Every bit of data that the empirical method uncovers is interpreted by scientists. They tell us what the data means. And if they have an atheistic worldview, they are not going to interpret what science uncovers as the signposts to God that they are.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where does it say Satan was in Eden in an unfallen state? I already showed how your verse doesn't say that.

Ez 28:13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering, sardius, topaz, and diamond, beryl, onyx, and jasper, sapphire, emerald, and carbuncle; and crafted in gold were your settings and your engravings. On the day that you were created they were prepared

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Or it's simply how the Bible phrased it. That's why I want to get deeper into the issue than just looking at the surface of Genesis and making a conclusion.

I don't know how to make it simpler...one way is written down, expresed in the bible....the other way isn't even written down yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps the students weren't ready at the time? You don't teach algebra to pre-schoolers.

Perhaps not...but one can perhaps their way around the block all they want. It's what the bible teaches and we shouldn't change what the bible says because of a perhaps.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ez 28:13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering, sardius, topaz, and diamond, beryl, onyx, and jasper, sapphire, emerald, and carbuncle; and crafted in gold were your settings and your engravings. On the day that you were created they were prepared
See post #101 that you replied to without reading.

Again, we learn from this verse:
1. Satan was in Eden
2. On the day Satan was created he was adorned with stones

Satan was not created in Eden because he was cast down to earth from heaven. He was cast down because of sin. He entered Eden as the tempter.

Where does it say Satan was sinless in Eden? Do you believe he fell while in Eden?

So I maintain there is no problem with my view, science, or the bible, science and the bible tell the same story. Satan was cast down BEFORE Adam and Eve were created. Cast down to earth. In the same way he works today, he influenced Gods creation as it was evolving. Adam and Eve were created to restore the earth, to bring Edens way of life across the whole globe. To cast the devil off the earth. When God says that it was very good He was prophesying over the dry bones like in Ezekiel. He sees the best in the worst. Salvation for the earth should have come through the first Adam. Instead the same job is given to the second Adam, Jesus. To bring heaven to earth. That's why Jesus preached The kingdom of God, heaven on earth.

The question I have is, what is wrong with this explanation?

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Satan was not created in Eden because he was cast down to earth from heaven. He was cast down because of sin. He entered Eden as the tempter.

I never suggested Satan was created in Eden.
Job 38:7 says the angels witnessed the creation.
I believe the bible teaches satan fell after Eden was created.
Where does it say Satan was sinless in Eden? Do you believe he fell while in Eden?
The bible describes Satan in an unfilled state while in Eden. The bible doesn't tell how much time passed after creation to when he fell.
Satan was cast down BEFORE Adam and Eve were created.
That is not what the bible teaches...or do you have scripture to show other wise...I'll listen...but so far I have shown Satan (Lucifer) was in Eden in an unfilled state,

In the same way he works today, he influenced Gods creation as it was evolving.
Where does the bible teach this? The bible speaks of special creation. Eve was formed from Adams rib which is not evolutionism.
Salvation for the earth should have come through the first Adam.
That would be incorrect. It is because of Adam fall salvation is required.
Instead the same job is given to the second Adam,
The second Adam Jesus purpose is to bring redemption due to the first Adams fall

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
@Nicholas Deka , here is my idea on the Garden of Eden story.

Free will is important in most variants of Judaism and Christianity. Adam is the prototypical human. Eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil is the human tendency to think we know good and evil instead of realizing that only God knows good and evil. The Lord's Prayers says "Thy will be done". We are supposed to learn through our own failings that our personal will needs to by synchronized to God's will. We must want the same things that God wants so that in expressing our individual free will we will also be following God's will. It is not about submitting to God's laws. We need to understand why following those laws makes us happier. Lately, I have been asking God each morning to help me learn something so my personal freedom will not be an expression of my foolishness. (Of course I am not claiming that any of this is orthodox Christian theology.)

(Sorry if others already covered similar ideas. This is a long thread, and I only read a little bit.)

Reactions: Moral Orel
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
See post #101 that you replied to without reading.

Again, we learn from this verse:
1. Satan was in Eden
2. On the day Satan was created he was adorned with stones

So I maintain there is no problem with my view, science, or the bible, science and the bible tell the same story. Satan was cast down BEFORE Adam and Eve were created. Cast down to earth. In the same way he works today, he influenced Gods creation as it was evolving. Adam and Eve were created to restore the earth, to bring Edens way of life across the whole globe. To cast the devil off the earth. When God says that it was very good He was prophesying over the dry bones like in Ezekiel. He sees the best in the worst. Salvation for the earth should have come through the first Adam. Instead the same job is given to the second Adam, Jesus. To bring heaven to earth. That's why Jesus preached The kingdom of God, heaven on earth.

The question I have is, what is wrong with this explanation?
His being cast down is spoken of as still being in the future in the book of Revelation when John received the vision and scheduled for the Lord's day. He still had access to heaven during Job's day. So did his demons who were also spoken of as scheduled to be cast down from heaven during the Lord's day in the book of Revelation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His being cast down is spoken of as still being in the future in the book of Revelation when John received the vision and scheduled for the Lord's day. He still had access to heaven during Job's day. So did his demons who were also spoken of as scheduled to be cast down from heaven during the Lord's day in the book of Revelation.
Did Satan tempt Adam and Eve to do evil while in the garden of Eden? Therefore he had fallen before Adam and Eve fell. And this is before Job. As for the time Satan fell, it is my hypothesis that he fell sometime during the evolution of life and influenced it to kill, thereby explaining part of the horrific evolutionary process.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Did Satan tempt Adam and Eve to do evil while in the garden of Eden? Therefore he had fallen before Adam and Eve fell. And this is before Job. As for the time Satan fell, it is my hypothesis that he fell sometime during the evolution of life and influenced it to kill, thereby explaining part of the horrific evolutionary process.

Fallen from God's grace and being thrown out of Heaven with absolutely no access are two different things. His restriction from heaven with absolutely no access is described in Revelation as scheduled for the Lord's Day. Since the Bible is the book a Christian is supposed to consider the final authority on such matters and I am a Christian I must place that clear scriptural prophetic statement above any opinions or conjectures.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fallen from God's grace and being thrown out of Heaven with absolutely no access are two different things. His restriction from heaven with absolutely no access is described in Revelation as scheduled for the Lord's Day. Since the Bible is the book a Christian is supposed to consider the final authority on such matters and I am a Christian I must place that clear scriptural prophetic statement above any opinions or conjectures.
I'm sorry, but I do not understand where the conflict lies? To what verse in revelation are you pointing that is in conflict with satan falling before Adam and Eve were created?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The apostle Paul explains:

Romans 5:14-19
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.
16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification.
17 For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous.
You're going to have to help me understand this one. From my perspective, which admittedly may be faulty, I see Paul asserting multiple times that sin entered through one man. From Paul's perspective, he had no reason to think it was any other way though. I'm not seeing the significance of it being one man that sin entered the world through. It's significant that one person redeemed us from sin, but a non-literal Genesis has nothing to do with changing that. And since it is multiple people that are redeemed by one man, I don't see the significance yet of sin entering through one man.

On a side note, that may or may not be related, didn't sin enter the world through two people? Or is this about the fact that Adam willfully sinned, and Eve was deceived?
There is nothing in the Genesis account to suggest that the death that came upon Adam and Eve was primarily spiritual. In fact, in God's judgment upon Adam He clarifies exactly what sort of death is going to come to Adam (and Eve):

Genesis 3:19
19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return."

Adam and Eve didn't need to die the moment they sinned for the sentence of death to be upon them.
When they are told that they will die that day, but they don't physically die until much, much later, but they do become separated from God that day, I see the threat of dying on that day only referring to a spiritual death.
I have no idea what the Tree of Life did in Eden. Adam and Eve were not forbidden from eating of it, however. Does its existence in Eden prove death was a part of God's initial Creation before the sin of Adam and Eve? Not if we allow Scripture to explain itself.
Well we know that eating from the Tree of Life granted eternal life. So what you seem to be saying is that even though there was no such thing as physical death for any creature, animal or man, God put a tree, aptly named the Tree of Life in the Garden, that would cure people of physically dying, even though there was never any intention of anyone or any creature ever physically dying.

As Genesis 1:31 declares,

Genesis 1:31
31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

It's hard to imagine God's Creation could be good while the death and corruption - and the pain and sorrow they produce - was an integral part of what God had made.

Well now we're getting into the territory of you saying what must be good in God's eyes and what must be bad. Consider His answer to Job about why He would allow suffering. God is sovereign. If He thinks natural, physical death for animals is a good part of the system He designed, it isn't up to you or me to decide it is or isn't. Remember, that from a theistic evolutionists perspective, we didn't become humans until God put a soul in us, so it was only animals that died up to that point. Now He probably did want to give us eternal physical life, but we thumbed our nose at Him, so He didn't.

Where does Scripture say, "The Earth is flat and not actually a sphere"?

Depends upon the literary context in which such statements are made. Scripture speaks of the "table of the heart" in a number of instances, but we all know when it does that it is speaking figuratively. Scripture also uses the phrase "the four corners of the Earth" but no one understands this to mean the Earth actually has four corners. Again, this is plainly figurative language. Are the instances of which you are thinking actually figurative ones?

I'm talking about Jesus being tempted by Satan in the wilderness in Matthew 4. That is a literal story, I assume, and not merely a vision Jesus had. In the story Satan takes Jesus up to an extremely tall mountain so that He can see every kingdom on Earth. That only works with a flat Earth.

That's right. The Bible's use of figurative language, or its speaking from the limited point of view of the human observer, does not mean it is in error when its figurative language or perspective does not perfectly accord with science. I don't know how many atheists I've talked to over the years, however, who have asserted that it does.
Bolding added by me for emphasis. That's a key point someone else brought up earlier as well. There were no human witnesses to creation. Moses wrote the story down thousands of years after it all happened. How did God reveal the story to Moses? By telling him word for word what to say, or via a vision Moses had that, no matter which way it went down (literal or figurative) was going to be confusing to him either way. Moses knew it was history, so he wrote it like he would any other history, as literal as possible. That doesn't mean he got everything exactly right, and I see no reason for God to nitpick the things that don't matter if Moses got them wrong.
Well, it is at least a non sequitur. But this is exactly the sort of thinking many atheists hold. Some very liberal "Christians" adopt a softer version of this sort of reasoning, suggesting that while the Bible is, in the light of modern science, obviously mythological it still has some good bits that may help us live better lives. The entire Story of Redemption that is at the core of biblical revelation, however, is gutted by this sort of thinking and the authority of Scripture to mandate behaviour and thinking is also dissolved. If the Bible contains genuine falsehood and error in any part, it cannot truly be the word of the perfect God it claims to reveal and from whom it claims to have come.
And if Genesis is merely the best job that Moses could do to explain something vastly, vastly over his head (you know, all of creation and thousands of years of human history) delivered through who-knows-what kind of medium (a vision, a dream?) then I don't consider that to be a genuine falsehood or error at all.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I see you there lurking, @2PhiloVoid , why not leave a comment about the discussion and join the party? You and I are usually only talking when we're at odds, wouldn't it be refreshing to agree with me for once? You know you want to...

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0