☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ya, I don't want to derail it so much it get's closed, but it's been so quiet anyways, I figured I'd branch out a little. So here's one that's in line with the thread itself. Look at these passages from Genesis:

The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.​

That happened on the third day. There were plants on the surface of the Earth, and trees with fruit in them, right? And later on the sixth day, after all these plants existed on the surface of the Earth, God created man. But then...

Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth and no plant had yet sprung up,for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground, but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground. Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.​

The other account says man was created while the surface of the Earth was still barren. Sure, there were seeds growing underground, but there certainly weren't trees with fruit in them yet. And while the Earth was in this state, God made humans.

These are the kinds of problems that pop up when the Bible tells the same story twice. Genesis 1 and 2 don't match up. Another one that I started a thread about here in the Apologetics section is Jesus' Moabite ancestry, which is a no-no.
Yeah interesting. I clearly haven't looked into all this enough. Just dabbled. Possibilities that run through my head:
1. Moses wrote down what he saw in vision, and in vision God showed Him snippets of the evolutionary process including the special creation of man. Following this Moses wrote down an amalgamation of stories passed down to him generation to generation with what he saw in the vision. Mixing the two together somewhat.
2. Maybe plants evolved at some point but became extinct until God brought them back in the "Garden of Eden".

How do you approach it?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah interesting. I clearly haven't looked into all this enough. Just dabbled. Possibilities that run through my head:
1. Moses wrote down what he saw in vision, and in vision God showed Him snippets of the evolutionary process including the special creation of man. Following this Moses wrote down an amalgamation of stories passed down to him generation to generation with what he saw in the vision. Mixing the two together somewhat.
2. Maybe plants evolved at some point but became extinct until God brought them back in the "Garden of Eden".

How do you approach it?
Two different myths from two different authors passed down for generations until someone wrote them both down. Moses never needed to have a vision about it at all.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two different myths from two different authors passed down for generations until someone wrote them both down. Moses never needed to have a vision about it at all.
Yeah that's another possibility.
Hmmm...
God interacted with Moses and the Israelite's in a special way. For example the Mosaic covenant was made between Moses and God, in Person. God led the Israelites around the desert as a cloud. God provided them with food etc. So if God did these supernatural things, it follows that He may also have instructed Moses in the writing of the Torah, maybe not word for word, but definitely some kind of supernatural guidance such as a vision or dream, don't you think?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that's another possibility.
Hmmm...
God interacted with Moses and the Israelite's in a special way. For example the Mosaic covenant was made between Moses and God, in Person. God led the Israelites around the desert as a cloud. God provided them with food etc. So if God did these supernatural things, it follows that He may also have instructed Moses in the writing of the Torah, maybe not word for word, but definitely some kind of supernatural guidance such as a vision or dream, don't you think?
Well, don't forget, Moses isn't the start of the religion, Abraham is. So it would actually be kind of strange, in my opinion, if Moses was the first time anyone heard a creation story. No matter how directly or indirectly inspired the account is, I seriously doubt Moses was the first one to hear it.

So I don't see a problem with Abraham and his descendants being aware that God created everything we see and humans screwed it all up, and writing their own stories to explain how He did so, even if God didn't give them any guidance whatsoever on the "how".

Everything else we look at about how God interacts with the world says that God enjoys a light touch. I don't know why we would assume God would take such an active role in telling such a tale at all.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, the way I separate them though is by thinking about just how the Bible is inspired. If it is a collection of books written by people who encountered the divine, wrote down those encounters along with the history (as well as the myths) of their people, then it's simply a matter of separating the history from the divine commands as well.
Then, the kind of separation you're talking about is a different conceptual entity than the separation that I am talking about. It seems you're talking about a separation you deem should be made within the hermeneutical interpretation of the Bible itself. However, the general approach that you've articulated in a dozen or so postings in your thread here still reflects some similarities in the way in which I handle the Bible on a hermenuetical and exegetical level. All this in turn reflects the way in which you and I conceptualize the possible "inspiration" of the Bible, which as I said, even if we are not identical in this, and I know we aren't, we still both handle it in a way that is atypical of the overall Christian community.

If you want an example of how I approach the literary and typological structure of Genesis, then I'd direct you to read someone like Conrad Hyers, Dennis O. Lamoureux, or maybe even Peter Enns. These are some of the formative sources in my thinking, among scholars in other associated fields like Philosophy of History and Historiography. Nevertheless, as you know, I am more willing to take on all those nasty, seemingly "un-democratic" events in the Old Testament literature, as well as whats in the Book of Revelation.

For instance, God told the Israelites where to go after they escaped Egypt. Once they were there, the Israelites decided to go on a rampage against the people that were already there. Over simplified, I know, but you get the gist.
Yeah...I get the gist, and on a basic level involving democratic ethical notions, I can very well understand where you're coming from.

Much in the same way God allowed them to keep their custom of divorce even though He disagreed with it, He likely had to allow them to keep their more barbaric tendencies as well, or use something more than a light touch.
Well, yeah! That kind of goes without saying, but in a certain kind of way. I do think we have to take passages like that of Chapter 9 of Deuteronomy (in full) very seriously when considering the directives of God through--and upon--the people of Israel in its full history. And there's many, many places in the Old Testament that reflect the Deuteronomy Chapter 9 type of judgement God has made upon the general, pre-existing disposition of the Hebrew people. Apparently, God doesn't really take a liking to "stiff-necked" people, no matter WHO they are.

I don't think our ideas of inspiration are close to "identical" though. That's what we were talking about a long time ago about those missing Mosaic laws. I could see God telling Moses to write laws, and then Moses making them up, but you didn't agree with my guess, at least not then.
Yeah, and I don't really want to retrace those steps here ... that could be done elsewhere at another time. Let's stick with how we should render the meaning of Genesis for now ... :rolleyes:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Let's stick with how we should render the meaning of Genesis for now ...
Okay, we haven't heard from many of those "theo-evos" of how to safely conceptualize how God inspired Genesis' authorship. What's your take? I would go so far as to say God would have been fine with letting the Hebrews keep completely man-made myths. Is this going too far?

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, we haven't heard from many of those "theo-evos" of how to safely conceptualize how God inspired Genesis' authorship. What's your take? I would go so far as to say God would have been fine with letting the Hebrews keep completely man-made myths. Is this going too far?
Well within my view at this point, there was a literal Garden of Eden, and God did literally impart to Adam His Image and walk with him in the Garden. Passing this story from generation to generation through to Noah and Abraham and Moses is possible. But that's a pretty long time and the story would not be the original.

What would be the point of God updating Abraham on the creation account who possibly didn't have the skills to write it down? Do you think it makes some sense that because Moses had the skills from his upbringing in Egypt to write down a canon, that God would give him an update on what really happened back at Eden, and a snapshot of the evolution beforehand?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well within my view at this point, there was a literal Garden of Eden, and God did literally impart to Adam His Image and walk with him in the Garden. Passing this story from generation to generation through to Noah and Abraham and Moses is possible. But that's a pretty long time and the story would not be the original.

What would be the point of God updating Abraham on the creation account who possibly didn't have the skills to write it down? Do you think it makes some sense that because Moses had the skills from his upbringing in Egypt to write down a canon, that God would give him an update on what really happened back at Eden, and a snapshot of the evolution beforehand?
When we're talking about just the creation account, there were no human witnesses to that. All that stuff happened long before humans were around to see it, and pass a story along. I don't think God told them the story at all. I think it's more likely that God told them things that are important, like resting once a week, and humans wrote myths to incorporate those lessons. Think Aesop's Fables.

When we're talking about things that involve human history, there's no reason to think humans faithfully transmitted the story of their first encounter with God and the moment they were elevated above the animals by Him. Again, God told people the lesson, that it was humans who rejected Him, and they wrote a myth to incorporate that lesson.

Now, I don't think you need to go as far as I do to accept both the ToE and other origins science, and the Bible, but that's my personal view.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think God told them the story at all.
It could go either way here. The Garden of Eden could have existed on the earth for a few hundred years or more, and God may have taught Adam during this time. We have a natural inclination to ask "Where did everything come from?" and I imagine Adam would have asked that to God pretty soon after being created. So it's reasonable to believe Adam had an account that he passed on. And then people like Methuselah lived for long enough to be able to transmit a story even though the time span was very long. The possibility is there I think, what actually happened is impossible to know of course, but the possibility and probability are helpful in choosing a particular direction of thought. Furthermore, I think this could explain Genesis somewhat. The combining of Moses' own vision with the stories passed down from the Garden of Eden.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

To tell you the truth, Nick, I don't think any of us have been given the divine data by which to construct a "safe conceptualization" about the nature or structure of divine inspiration, even as it may pertain to Genesis' authorship specifically. I say this for a couple of reasons. First, the idea of a "safe conceptualization" seems to me to infer that, if I had such a viewpoint about Genesis, that I could then share it in a convincing way, not only with you, but with numerous others. But, the problem is, I know very well that the conceptualization I have will be found wanting and be unlikely to avail itself for transference.

Secondly, I'm skeptical about the existence of a "safe conceptualization" about biblical inspiration. Such an idea would seem to infer that there is some kind of non-relative insight to which I'm privy. But, I'm privy to no such special insight, as far as I know. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that after various analyses could made of my perceptions and cognition, it probably would be clear that I just happen to have a particular collection of ideas residing in my head, ideas from which other concepts emerge and by which I "perceive" that the Bible is generally coherent and plausibly divine. What is in my head is by no means something my Foundationalistic friends will envy, nor be evaluated as an Evidentialist's Dream Come True. (But, I'm ok with that.)

So, there is no systematic explanation I can give you as to how I reach conclusions about the nature of Genesis' inspiration. Rather, I hold in my scrappy little brain simply an eclectic collection of motifs and inferences, all of which sit there and provide me various conceptual synergies. However...even with that being said, I can still share some general concepts through which we might conceive other principles or insights for us to consider.

The first concept I offer is this: None of us knows exactly what kind of literature the first few chapters of Genesis is, nor do we know the full intent of the writer in writing it, nor as to exactly what cultural or metaphysical issues he was trying to address. We don't know if the author intended for his narrative to be taken as literal history, symbolism, typology, metaphor, or myth; neither do we know exactly the composition of the cultural paradigm in which it was created and "encased."

The second concept is this: We know that whatever kind of writing Genesis was intended to be, it doesn't mesh with modern cosmology and/or the physical sciences.

The third concept is this: We don't know how we're supposed to interpret Genesis, for there is very little in the way of interpretive "instruction" within the entire corpus of the biblical books themselves; so we each have our own relative, personal, existential conceptualization(s) to form about Genesis and by which each of us will respond to the possibility of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

So, Nick, this is my starting point. And, as you've already shared in this thread, there's always more consider...

2PhiloVoid

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To tell you the truth, Nick, I don't think any of us have been given the divine data by which to construct a "safe conceptualization" about the nature or structure of divine inspiration, even as it may pertain to Genesis' authorship specifically. I say this for a couple of reasons. First, the idea of a "safe conceptualization" seems to me to infer that, if I had such a viewpoint about Genesis, that I could then share it in a convincing way, not only with you, but with numerous others. But, the problem is, I know very well that the conceptualization I have will be found wanting and be unlikely to avail itself for transference.

Secondly, I'm skeptical about the existence of a "safe conceptualization" about biblical inspiration. Such an idea would seem to infer that there is some kind of non-relative insight to which I'm privy. But, I'm privy to no such special insight, as far as I know. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that after various analyses could made of my perceptions and cognition, it probably would be clear that I just happen to have a particular collection of ideas residing in my head, ideas from which other concepts emerge and by which I "perceive" that the Bible is generally coherent and plausibly divine. What is in my head is by no means something my Foundationalistic friends will envy, nor be evaluated as an Evidentialist's Dream Come True. (But, I'm ok with that.)

So, there is no systematic explanation I can give you as to how I reach conclusions about the nature of Genesis' inspiration. Rather, I hold in my scrappy little brain simply an eclectic collection of motifs and inferences, all of which sit there and provide me various conceptual synergies. However...even with that being said, I can still share some general concepts through which we might conceive other principles or insights for us to consider.

The first concept I offer is this: None of us knows exactly what kind of literature the first few chapters of Genesis is, nor do we know the full intent of the writer in writing it, nor as to exactly what cultural or metaphysical issues he was trying to address. We don't know if the author intended for his narrative to be taken as literal history, symbolism, typology, metaphor, or myth; neither do we know exactly the composition of the cultural paradigm in which it was created and "encased."

The second concept is this: We know that whatever kind of writing Genesis was intended to be, it doesn't mesh with modern cosmology and/or the physical sciences.

The third concept is this: We don't know how we're supposed to interpret Genesis, for there is very little in the way of interpretive "instruction" within the entire corpus of the biblical books themselves; so we each have our own relative, personal, existential conceptualization(s) to form about Genesis and by which each of us will respond to the possibility of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

So, Nick, this is my starting point. And, as you've already shared in this thread, there's always more consider...

2PhiloVoid
Very well said.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm well aware that not all Christians ascribe to a literal interpretation of Genesis, but I'm curious why some feel it is important to retain the literal interpretation.

Basically, my thinking is that Jesus hid the truth in parables, so why wouldn't God? Not everything in the Bible is to be taken literally, so we have to make decisions on what is literal and what is allegorical. What harm results from taking an allegorical approach to Genesis? Or what evidence is there that it should be taken literally instead of allegorically? Basically, why pick the literal approach for Genesis as opposed to the allegorical approach?

This isn't a discussion on the merits of the Theory of Evolution, Big Bang Theory, or any other science discussion. It is strictly scriptural, and that's why I put it in the Apologetics section since it does not belong in the Physical Sciences sections of these boards.

ETA Also, people who take an allegorical approach to Genesis can feel free to share how they explain away potential problems with their interpretation.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As to the idea that God accommodated mythical thought(s) among the Israelites, I'd say you're right to some extent. Where I might differ is in that rather than viewing Genesis as a "myth," I more readily concede to Conrad Hyers' assertions that the opening chapters of Genesis be viewed as a form of Cosmogony [link to article], presenting a kind of narrative (historical?) account befitting the metaphysical paradigm(s) of the time in which it was written (or even compiled, if we want to go that far with it). In the case of Genesis, the caveat is that the cosmogony of Genesis was meant to not only provide Israel with its own creation account (or two, again depending on how far one wants to theoretically parse the literature), but also to act as a polemic against the mythical accounts of the surrounding nations and cultures.

What I think this means for us today is that our interpretations of Genesis' first chapters are open to some level of continuous investigation and discussion, and our conclusions as to its fullest meaning are perhaps tenuous due to fact that the creation account(s) is composed of ideas encased in ancient paradigms and given for ancient purposes. They also address different aspects of reality from those associated with today's scientifically literal study of the universe (i.e. through our modern Cosmology, as opposed to the old Cosmogony of yesteryear). Thus, even though on a literal level, Genesis obviously doesn't mesh with our present understanding of the Cosmos, it doesn't have to be equated with sheer contradiction.

So, what I'm saying here reflects some of the conceptual direction you've proposed in this thread, even if not identical. And, if this is the case, I think I can have my spiritual cake, and eat it too ... (Mmmm, Yummy!!!)

And still, there's more ... :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yes because it's deceptive. A lie. We know God abhors lying if you know the truth. God knows the truth, why would,he allow his chosen people to believe and,propagate a lie when he could tell them,the truth? Its counter to God's character.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal

2PhiloVoid

We do have interpretive instruction. Exodus gives it to us as well as Jesus and Paul. To ignore those ignores how God intended Genesis to be interpreted. Ignoring what Jesus had to say ignores God himself. Ignoring Paul ignores God's inspiration and ignoring Exodus ignores God's chosen prophet who speaks for God under his inspiration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
God knows the truth, why would,he allow his chosen people to believe and,propagate a lie when he could tell them,the truth? Its counter to God's character.
Probably for a reason pretty similar to why He told the Israelites how to go about getting a divorce even though He abhors divorce and how that goes against God's character.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Probably for a reason pretty similar to why He told the Israelites how to go about getting a divorce even though He abhors divorce and how that goes against God's character.
But that is a far cry from being deceptive and,lying. Allowing divorce is not against God's character. God doesn't like it, but he allowed it. Totally apples,and,oranges here.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But that is a far cry from being deceptive and,lying. Allowing divorce is not against God's character. God doesn't like it, but he allowed it. Totally apples,and,oranges here.
If he allowed them to perpetuate their own myths, then it isn't God lying simply because God didn't correct them. God didn't correct them about the Sun going around the Earth either, but the Bible talks about the Sun moving. And that pertains even better since it's really about how we perceive our natural universe.

I forget where it is, but there's a battle that the Israelites needed more time to win, so it says God stopped the Sun in the sky. Now that doesn't make any sense, since the Sun isn't moving. God probably stopped the Earth from moving, but let the author describe it inaccurately. That isn't a lie is it? It still got the point across that God intervened in miraculous ways, who cares if our perspective describes the "how" of it all wrong? He doesn't seem to mind.

All these accusations about "lying" stem from people having a different belief about how directly God inspired scriptures. It isn't 100% word for word God breathed. The various authors of the books in the Bible all have their own styles. And once we're under 100% it comes down to interpretation just how much God directly controlled the writing of scripture. That's what I think 2PhiloVoid has been talking about in his last few posts. We can't know exactly how directly God inspired scripture except to say it has inspiration in at least the most pertinent parts, but not as much as 100%.

If God lets people record things inaccurately when they don't have an impact on the message He is trying to get across it isn't lying. If it is, then by that standard, the Bible contains provable lies.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If he allowed them to perpetuate their own myths, then it isn't God lying simply because God didn't correct them. God didn't correct them about the Sun going around the Earth either, but the Bible talks about the Sun moving. And that pertains even better since it's really about how we perceive our natural universe.

I forget where it is, but there's a battle that the Israelites needed more time to win, so it says God stopped the Sun in the sky. Now that doesn't make any sense, since the Sun isn't moving. God probably stopped the Earth from moving, but let the author describe it inaccurately. That isn't a lie is it? It still got the point across that God intervened in miraculous ways, who cares if our perspective describes the "how" of it all wrong? He doesn't seem to mind.
And in my estimation, Nick, I think you're quite right in saying that God permits us our phenomenological perspectives about the ways in which He interacts and communicates with us in the world.

All these accusations about "lying" stem from people having a different belief about how directly God inspired scriptures. It isn't 100% word for word God breathed. The various authors of the books in the Bible all have their own styles. And once we're under 100% it comes down to interpretation just how much God directly controlled the writing of scripture. That's what I think 2PhiloVoid has been talking about in his last few posts. We can't know exactly how directly God inspired scripture except to say it has inspiration in at least the most pertinent parts, but not as much as 100%.
Yes, there's that. And then there's also my contention (with my more Fundamentalistic brethren) that the process of inspiration itself need not be seen as conforming to any one mode or method by necessity, but rather that God provided the impetus, whether internally or even externally, for various individuals among His people to feel the need to "construct" writings as a form of testimony for the benefit of the public of Israel and/or the Church. And the consideration as to the accuracy level, along with possible artistic license used in the production of the writings themselves, is another issue altogether ...

In the case of Genesis, we have to consider at the least that the entire book came before Moses' time, and we don't have much in the way of many clues that tell us he did or did not have access to various historical records from previous generations and eras. Fundamentalist like to think the whole book came from the mouth of God; I rather think that it came as a construct, an artful one at that, which was written by one (or ones) who wished to create an account that was seemingly coherent with the social identity of Israel and its relationship with this One God.

So, we don't know exactly the purpose of its writing, and we each (although corporately) have to glean this for ourselves from what remains of the vestiges of what can be gathered about the historical handling of the Bible. It's anything but purely objective. And things get even more interesting if we bring various considerations of historiography, the philosophy of history, and A.N.E. studies into the picture. However, I do think Conrad Hyers was on to something which brings some coherence to the ongoing project of investigation.

I also think it is pertinent to consider that Genesis, being a book of Jewish thought, may be better understood if we take into consideration the hermeneutical approaches of not just the Christian Church in its 2,000 years of diverse opinion, but also of some of the approaches applied by Rabbinical-Judaic interpreters. For instance, Jacob Neusner (2004), a Jewish philosopher and expert on the Talmud, has this to say about the general mode and approach that the Rabbis have taken in interpreting the Law and the Prophets (which would include Genesis, of course):

In this reading of the Torah, time and change signify nothing. In its normative statements Rabbinic Judaism is ahistorical because it is paradigmatic in its structure and sensibility. So, with the loss of the experience of memory in favor of a different kind of encounter with time past, present, and future, time as a concept in the measurement of things ceased to serve. Time simply is not a factor in thinking about what happens and what counts. Instead, transcendent and permanent paradigms for the formation of the social order govern, so that what was now is, and what will be is what was and is. Paradigmatic thinking treats the case not as a one-time event but as an example; it seeks the rules that cases [of investigation] adumbrate; it asks about the patterns that narratives realize in concrete instances. It is like a mathematical model, which translates the real world into abstract principles, and like social science in that it seeks to generalize about particularities. Both disciplines are able to account for local variation by defining the norm. (pp. 6-7)​

So, if Genesis does indeed represent a collection of various vignettes, written to represent paradigmatic truths (or morals to be applied), yet in a collective manner connected by way of Hebrew genealogies as a framework, then this would contribute to our understanding of why someone like Josephus would say the things he says in his preface to The Antiquities of the Jews:

But because almost all our constitution depends on the wisdom of Moses, or legislator, I cannot avoid saying somewhat concerning him beforehand, though I shall do it briefly; I mean, because otherwise those that read my book may wonder how it comes to pass that my discourse, which promises an account of laws and historical facts, contains so much philosophy (Preface 4:18)...for all things have here a reference to the nature of the universe; while our legislator speaks some things wisely, but enigmatically, and others under a decent allegory, but still explains such things as required a direct explication plainly and expressly (in Preface 4:24).​

In Josephus, we see some vestiges of the Rabbinical type of thinking, a kind of thinking that may also contribute to explaining why Paul says little about the life and times of Christ, but concentrates on what he sees as the "timeless" truth about Jesus as the Lord and Messiah of Israel. It may also help us understand why Paul references the importance of the Scriptures as being a foundation of sorts, although mysterious in its message, for understanding the work and will of God in the world. It also may help us have insight as to why Paul would say in Romans 15:4, "For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope." And then in 1 Cor. 10:6,11 "Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted...Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come."

If God lets people record things inaccurately when they don't have an impact on the message He is trying to get across it isn't lying. If it is, then by that standard, the Bible contains provable lies.
Yep!!

References

Neusner, Jacob. (2004). Judaism and the interpretation of scripture. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers.

The Works of Josephus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0