Who's Your Historical Hero?

T

Thursday

My historical hero is Tecumseh the Shawnee chief and leader of the Red Stick Confederacy. He was *this* close to uniting the Indians against the American settlers. This united front would have probably prevented Indian culture from being destroyed and despised. Unfortunately the warring tribes could not see ahead into the future, and the alliance was broken, then Tecumseh was betrayed by the British as well. But he is a hero. He did all he could and he got farther than anyone else did in his "line of work."

Upvote 0

Barry1948

Sep 28, 2004
Broomfield, CO
✟179.00
Faith
Christian
My favorite hero is Robert E. Lee. He's gotten a lot of bad press, but he was a very devoted Chrisitian man. He is up there at the top of the list as one of the greatest strategists of all time. Even though he had a very legalist look at religion, he always wanted to do the right thing in God's eyes, and he was one of the most caring Generals in history. He played by the rules of war when his opponents refused so as to try and get the upper hand.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2004
✟137.00
Faith
Christian
Palatka44 said:
You raise a good question. I thought that he was born in Normandy but of saxon desent. He is also known as William the Ba*tard with an 's'.
He was the first Norman (French) King. The Saxons were the Germanic people who were already there (Together with the Angles and Jutes [Anglelond= England]). Off topic but the Angle-Saxons pushed the Celtic Scots, Welsh, and Cornish into the lands that now bear their names (as well as the Bretons in France who came back with William t.b.).

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2004
✟137.00
Faith
Christian
My favorite historical people are:

Lao Zi:
Because he wrote with great wisdom and understanding.

Qin ShiHuang Di:
First true emperor of China. Brutal, but he united the nation (see the Jet Li move Hero for details)

Sun Yat-Sen, Mao ZeDung, and Dung XiaoPing:
Modernizer, liberator, and modern liberators of China. Again, all have bad (or brutal) histories, but played important roles in what is now modern China.

Matteo Ricci:
First long term Christian missionary to China.

Guess it's obvious that my interests go toward China, but I'll name two Western:

Richard Nixon:
Began the process to open relations with China.

Ronald Reagan:
Unfortunately he is now a part of our history. He was personally a great inspiration to me, and to many others. Whatever anyone thinks of his politics, he moved the nation. He was the last of the conservatives (we're in the neo-conservative era now, in case you didn't know)

bd

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see you have a few Chinese heros. Ever read Sun Tzu? I don't know if I listed him as one of mine or not, but i should have. Guan Yu was a great man as well, and I hear they made him a taoist diety after his exploits during the war of the three kingdoms. Was Hero good? I've been wanting to see that, but wanted to hear secondary opinions first.

Upvote 0

crazy4Christ007

Lithander
Jul 16, 2004
USA
✟6,845.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Barry1948 said:
My favorite hero is Robert E. Lee. He's gotten a lot of bad press, but he was a very devoted Chrisitian man. He is up there at the top of the list as one of the greatest strategists of all time. Even though he had a very legalist look at religion, he always wanted to do the right thing in God's eyes, and he was one of the most caring Generals in history. He played by the rules of war when his opponents refused so as to try and get the upper hand.
YEA! :amen:

Upvote 0

Yamialpha

Celeritas
Oct 5, 2004
✟2,914.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would have to say that my favorite hero from history is Albert Einstein, not only for the General & Special theories of relativity, but also because of the fact that he encouraged the American government to make an atomic bomb. He also was compassionate and spiritual.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
The Emperor Constantine may have had a greater influence on Christianity than any other individual since the 1stC. He rescued Christianity from centuries of Roman persecution and tried to save the Church from its internal theological devisiveness (Arianism). He established the first great ecumenical council which produced the Nicene Creed. It is that creed which still serves as the statement of faith when defining a Christian for this forum.
Some forums on this website are provided for Christian discussion only as indicated in the Category Title. If we're going to have Christian-only forums, then we need to define who can post there. For that to happen, we need to define who we consider is a Christian for the purposes of posting in the Christian-only forums. This is not for any other reason. We make no aspersions on the person's salvation, faith or beliefs. It's only to ensure that posts in the Christian-only forums are of a particular type that conform to the contents of the Nicene Creed, which we use as it has been used for millenia by the church to define the boundaries of orthodoxy within Christianity. The contents of the Nicene Creed conveniently summarizes the main doctrines held by Evangelical Protestant & Catholic Christianity since the beginning of church history to battle heresy. It summarizes issues like the Trinitarian nature of God, the Divinity of Christ and other basic doctrines of orthodox Christianity that are agreed upon by all major Christian denominations and churches. We do not expect Christian members to accept the actual Creed - we expect them to agree to its contents only. These doctrines are listed below:
As the Emperor, Constantine was also considered the be the symbolic head of Rome's traditional pagan religions. Ironically, there is some question as to whether Constantine was ever a true Christian. :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Sir Winston Churchill, without whom I would now be speaking German.

Alaxander Bell and Thomas Edison - probably created the first building blocks towards us being online today.

That Russian linesman in the 1966 world cup final

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Recently I did a project outside of class for one of my history teachers, concerning the 95 theses--I wrote my own--about the school--and ever since that experience (which, by the way turned out EXTREMELY WELL) I have had a great admiration for Martin Luther.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Palatka44 said:
You raise a good question. I thought that he was born in Normandy but of saxon desent. He is also known as William the Ba*tard with an 's'.
Hi

Im also descended from him. His ancestor was Rolf Hrothgar (AKA Rollo the Viking) who came from the Scandanavian city of Vyborg via the Scottish islands. He got lands in normandy by kidnapping and holding a bishop to ransom.
You can check him out here:
http://www.milsom100.freeserve.co.uk/rollo/rollo1.htm

:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HunterJon

The trees of today, are the stumps of tomorrow
May 4, 2004
Thurmont, MD but currently at Virginia Tech
✟15,472.00
Faith
Protestant
I posted in this thread a few months ago, and since then I've come up with another historical figure that I believe is a hero.

Sir Ernest Shackleton, he was an Antarctic explorer who led the failed expedition on the ship Endurance. The ship was destroyed and his crew was forced to row their lifeboats to Elephant Island. Shackleton and a few of his crew then took one of the lifeboats, and modified it so they could make a voyage of several hundred miles across the storm ridden South Atlantic to South Georgia Island.

Miraculously they made it but landed on the wrong side of the island, and were then forced to climb over the uncharted, rugged, glacier covered, interior to get to the whaling station of Grytviken. They then made the voyage to Elephant Island to rescue the crew. Throughtout this entire ordeal of several years not a single crewman died. He was one of the greatest leader of all time and one of the bravest men that ever lived.

Upvote 0

Saruman

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2004
USA-Kentucky
Visit site
✟17,800.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am pretty sure that it was St. Catherine's sword she wielded. She found it by an alter in an abandoned church she passed on the way to Chinon. God supposedly told her that the sword she was to use could be found there. No one believed her, of course, but sure enough, the sword was there. I have heard that she wielded Charlemagne's sword, but only from a computer game.

Upvote 0