Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Spiders and scorpions evolved after a whole genome duplication event in arachnids. This discovery joins evidence for WGD events in horseshoe crabs (2), jawless fish (2), telost fish (1) and even rainbow trout (1).

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-rare-genome-duplication-spider-evolution.html
Analysis of these genomes revealed that spiders and scorpions evolved from a shared ancestor more than 400 million years ago, which made new copies of all of the genes in its genome, a process called whole genome duplication. Such an event is one of the largest evolutionary changes that can happen to a genome and is relatively rare during animal evolution.​

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟244,528.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
No matter how silky smooth the argument is, creationists will likely claim scientists are just spinning lies, building up a web of deceit. They'll claim the hypothesis just doesn't fly.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Points.png

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Spiders and scorpions evolved after a whole genome duplication event in arachnids. This discovery joins evidence for WGD events in horseshoe crabs (2), jawless fish (2), telost fish (1) and even rainbow trout (1).

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-rare-genome-duplication-spider-evolution.html
Analysis of these genomes revealed that spiders and scorpions evolved from a shared ancestor more than 400 million years ago, which made new copies of all of the genes in its genome, a process called whole genome duplication. Such an event is one of the largest evolutionary changes that can happen to a genome and is relatively rare during animal evolution.​

The human genome bears the scars of large-scale segmental duplications.

They happen, but it is all "assumptions" and "stories", remember... Evidence shmevidence.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟244,528.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Such an event is one of the largest evolutionary changes that can happen to a genome and is relatively rare during animal evolution.
It is probably worth making explicit what you have stated implicitly: such duplication is relatively common in plants, where it is more usually reffered to as polyploidy.

tas88431 mentions partial genome duplication in humans. It has been suggested that two whole genome duplications are responsible for the size and complexity of the vertebrate genome. A pertinent paper in this regard is Dehal and Boore, in PLoS Biology, 2005. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in trying to retrieve it via Google Scholar. The link appears, but is reported as faulty. Anyone out there have a copy?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is probably worth making explicit what you have stated implicitly: such duplication is relatively common in plants, where it is more usually reffered to as polyploidy.

tas88431 mentions partial genome duplication in humans. It has been suggested that two whole genome duplications are responsible for the size and complexity of the vertebrate genome. A pertinent paper in this regard is Dehal and Boore, in PLoS Biology, 2005. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in trying to retrieve it via Google Scholar. The link appears, but is reported as faulty. Anyone out there have a copy?
There are four different papers discussing the whole genome duplication events in basal agnathans/stem vertebrates. I have links for all of them on my work computer.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟244,528.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
There are four different papers discussing the whole genome duplication events in basal agnathans/stem vertebrates. I have links for all of them on my work computer.
Cheers. I look forward to seeing them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums