✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

Well, "know", because I was not there, I just know who is supposed to be the author.
Then it’s safe to say he was interested in Jewish issues.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,481.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then it’s safe to say he was interested in Jewish issues.
His book ends in Rome. He records the movement of Christianity from Jerusalem to Rome.

Not exactly the interest needed for the epistle of Hebrews. Apollo is much better candidate, I think. Apollo was the "missionary" of Jews and was very good at it.

Luke was never recorded as somebody active, as a teacher. Only as a historian/observer/companion. It would be quite a jump from this role to such involvement in teaching Jews from their Scriptures that Jesus is more than Moses etc.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
His book ends in Rome. He records the movement of Christianity from Jerusalem to Rome.

Not exactly the interest needed for the epistle of Hebrews. Apollo is much better candidate, I think. Apollo was the "missionary" of Jews and was very good at it.

Luke was never recorded as somebody active, as a teacher. Only as a historian/observer/companion. It would be quite a jump from this role to such involvement in teaching Jews from their Scriptures that Jesus is more than Moses etc.
Unless he was recording what he heard Paul preach over and over.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,481.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unless he was recording what he heard Paul preach over and over.
If we will say its a record of Paul's preaching, then anybody can be the author. From Barnabas, Timotheus to some unknown individual from some local church where Paul preached. Not just Luke.

I think that Apollo is the only one having the proper and biblically recoreded interest in the field of the epistle of Hebrews. Its not a proof, of course. But its the most natural direction, I think.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If we will say its a record of Paul's preaching, then anybody can be the author. From Barnabas, Timotheus to some unknown individual from some local church where Paul preached. Not just Luke.

I think that Apollo is the only one having the proper and biblically recoreded interest in the field of the epistle of Hebrews. Its not a proof, of course. But its the most natural direction, I think.
Two reasons I go with Luke. One, folks have done studies comparing writing styles, and Hebrews matches up well with Luke. Two, since Luke travelled with Paul, he would have heard this message over and over.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,481.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Two reasons I go with Luke. One, folks have done studies comparing writing styles, and Hebrews matches up well with Luke. Two, since Luke travelled with Paul, he would have heard this message over and over.
Do you have a source saying that the style matches with Luke?

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,481.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? I don't see that at all.
Yeah, me neither, it all seems to be quite different. But if there are some more subtle Greek similarities in style, I would like to see it...

Even the genre is totally different (preaching instead of historical accounts).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But if there are some more subtle Greek similarities in style .

There are subtle Greek differences. Luke makes heavy use of the phrase "ὁ δέ" ("but the"), for example. The writer to the Hebrews only uses it 11 times.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The book of Hebrews does not give its writer’s name. Although its authorship has been debated; it, nevertheless, is widely credited to the apostle Paul.

This Bible book was accepted by early Christians as written by this apostle. The style is consistent with his other know writings. And, it was in Rome that Paul was first imprisoned. Timothy was with Paul. (Philippians 1:1; 2:19; Colossians 1:1, 2; Philemon 1) This circumstance fits the remark at Hebrews 13:23 about Timothy’s release from prison and of Paul’s desire to visit Jerusalem soon.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I seriously doubt Paul was the writer, as linguistically it doesn't match up with other books ascribed to him. Bottom line though, there isn't anything solid to suggest one author over another. That being said, a fascinating theory is that Priscilla was the author and the logic of that argument makes a great deal of sense... but there isn't hard evidence, or at least not yet, that such was the case.

Yes, I have heard some reputable scholars mention that as a plausible hyopthesis... if it were true, it would be the only book in the Bible written by a woman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This topic is kind of interesting a lot of Scholars say that they do not hold Paul accountable for writing the book of Hebrews but I was reading it again and I came across this verse Hebrews 10:34

Ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. (KJV)

Now, that's KJV. Just about ever other version says " you had compassion on prisoners"

Hebrews 10:34 You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, knowing that you yourselves had a better and permanent possession.

I just found that interesting. I believed that Paul wrote Hebrews before reading that passage again with new eyes, but this verse kinda settles the matter. What do you think?

Hi and see 2 reasons that Paul it !!

Read Heb 13:22 and 23 !!

Timothy was Paul's helper !!

Who was in 2 Peter 3:15 and Paul wrote to the Jews , and that was Paul !!

dan p

Upvote 0