Who were the "sons of God" in Genesis 6?

Who were the "sons of God" in Genesis 6?

• Fallen angels

• Godly line of Seth

• Royalty

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
<snip>No human receives the title of Son of God until they are found worthy (accepting Christ's salvation, following Him, and lastly we have to die.)
There is only one Son of God native to God's forever family, Jesus the eternal Son of the Father. All other sons of God, both New Testament and Old are adopted. There are those adopted by means of creation, like Adam, and each of the angels, and there are those adopted by means of redemption or "new creation", those who trust Christ.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The ancients viewed this term to mean “angels”; and the oldest Jewish view of this verse, and those living closest to the time when these things were written, took sons of God to be angels, not humans. For example, the Septuagint, dated from about 250 B.C., translates this verse as angels of God. Josephus understood this as angels, and so do the Book of Enoch and the Dead Sea Scrolls documents of Qumran.33 Furthermore, in the Targum Pseudo-Jonathan, 6:1, 6:2, and 6:4 also make these angels. Also seven books in the Pseudopigrapha interpret this as a reference to angels (I Enoch 6:1–2; Jubilees 4:15, 5:6; II Enoch 18; II Baruch 56; and The Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs [Reuben 5:5–6 and Naphtali 3:3–5]). Philo and the Midrashim also adhere to this view. Finally, this was also the meaning in other Semitic languages.

Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum, Ariel's Bible Commentary: The Book of Genesis, 1st ed. (San Antonio, TX: Ariel Ministries, 2008), 146.
Good quote from Arnold.

He spoke a couple of times at our church. I highly recommend getting him to come if he still does that. ONe time he did his eschatology series (for me, no one touches Arnold in this arena), and the other time he did the Life of Christ, simply amazing.

Upvote 0

granpa

Noahide/Rationalist
Apr 23, 2007
California
✟3,072.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
see post 40

http://www.christianforums.com/t7592090-4/#post58563978

apparently in the days of Jared the Elohim came down to earth and took human form.
they were even able to have sex with the daughters of Adam.
they eventually evolved into the gibborim.

I have no doubt that this is an explanation of how Caucasians evolved.

We arent told who eth sons of god were only that they existed from the time of jared till at least the flood.

The Book of Enoch: Fragment of the Book of Noah: Chapter CVI

1. And after some days my son Methuselah took a wife for his son Lamech, and she became
p. 151
pregnant by him and bore a son. 2. And his body was white as snow and red as the blooming of a rose, and the hair of his head &#8224;and his long locks were white as wool, and his eyes beautiful&#8224;. And when he opened his eyes, he lighted up the whole house like the sun, and the whole house was very bright. 3. And thereupon he arose in the hands of the midwife, opened his mouth, and &#8224;conversed with&#8224; the Lord of righteousness. 4. And his father Lamech was afraid of him and fled, and came to his father Methuselah. 5. And he said unto him: 'I have begotten a strange son, diverse from and unlike man, and resembling the sons of the God of heaven; and his nature is different and he is not like us, and his eyes are as the rays of the sun, and his countenance is glorious. 6. And it seems to me that he is not sprung from me but from the angels, and I fear that in his days a wonder may be wrought on the earth. 7. And now, my father, I am here to petition thee and implore thee that thou mayest go to Enoch, our father, and learn from him the truth, for his dwelling-place is amongst the angels.' 8. And when Methuselah heard the words of his son, he came to me to the ends of the earth; for he had heard that I was there, and he cried aloud, and I heard his voice and I came to him. And 1 said unto him: 'Behold, here am I, my son, wherefore hast thou come to me?' 9. And he answered and said: 'Because of a great cause of anxiety have I come to thee, and because of a disturbing vision have I approached. 10. And now, my father, hear me: unto Lamech my son there hath been born a son, the like of whom there is none, and his nature is not like man's nature, and the colour of his body is whiter than snow and redder than the bloom of a rose, and the hair of his head is whiter than white wool, and his eyes are like the rays of the sun, and he opened his eyes and thereupon lighted up the whole house. 11. And he arose in the hands of the midwife, and opened his mouth and blessed the Lord of heaven. 12. And his father Lamech
p. 152
became afraid and fled to me, and did not believe that he was sprung from him, but that he was in the likeness of the angels of heaven; and behold I have come to thee that thou mayest make known to me the truth.' 13. And I, Enoch, answered and said unto him: 'The Lord will do a new thing on the earth, and this I have already seen in a vision, and make known to thee that in the generation of my father Jared some of the angels of heaven transgressed the word of the Lord. 14. And behold they commit sin and transgress the law, and have united themselves with women and commit sin with them, and have married some of them, and have begot children by them. 17. And they shall produce on the earth giants not according to the spirit, but according to the flesh, and there shall be a great punishment on the earth, and the earth shall be cleansed from all impurity. 15. Yea, there shall come a great destruction over the whole earth, and there shall be a deluge and a great destruction for one year. 16. And this son who has been born unto you shall be left on the earth, and his three children shall be saved with him: when all mankind that are on the earth shall die [he and his sons shall be saved]. 18. And now make known to thy son Lamech that he who has been born is in truth his son, and call his name Noah; for he shall be left to you, and he and his sons shall be saved from the destruction, which shall come upon the earth on account of all the sin and all the unrighteousness, which shall be consummated on the earth in his days. 19. And after that there shall be still more unrighteousness than that which was first consummated on the earth; for I know the mysteries of the holy ones; for He, the Lord, has showed me and informed me, and I have read (them) in the heavenly tablets.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, I saw post 40. That was the one I said was "out there", remember? Because Noah was born with some sort of shine on his face, (like Moses had in a later time, or Jesus on the Mount of Transifiguration), you gather that the Caucasians come from Watcher offspring? I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the connection. Besides, the whole point of the story is that Noah WAS NOT a Watcher offspring.

Upvote 0

NNSV

Feb 5, 2011
✟15,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is only one Son of God native to God's forever family, Jesus the eternal Son of the Father. All other sons of God, both New Testament and Old are adopted. There are those adopted by means of creation, like Adam, and each of the angels, and there are those adopted by means of redemption or "new creation", those who trust Christ.

O.K., but it still doesn't take the title of Son of God away from those that earned it. If you are given that title (by following Christ/Faith/dying once,) then you have earned it just like Christ. If you lose that title (like the fallen angels or Adam/Eve,) then you earn whatever title you get (Fallen angel, satan, man of perdition, devil, son of man, etc.) I think emphasizing "adoption" is problematic because it insinuates a separation of relationship between God and Christ, and God and man. Since 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the cosmological population was created (save Christ, of course), it is almost redundant to say "we" are adopted, and Christ is God's only eternal son. We know Christ is God, even as a consequence of being His only eternal son. He wasn't created, because He was with God in the beginning. This is like saying my son (who came from my loins) is me, especially if He willingly does everything I want from him. But, if I adopted a son, he wouldn't be less deserving of the title of "my son." He just wouldn't be me. Likewise, we may [strive to] be sons of God, but we aren't God: only Christ has that title and designation.

I understand the emphasis on "adaptation," but when Christ allows us to call Him our brother, the connotations of the word should drop.

While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.

Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Matthew 12:46-50

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
jpark....
the bad ones are spoken of in Jude...
demons and fallen angels are not the same thing.
some believe demons to be the disembodied spirits of the giants.
Impossible. Even the bad ones know morality. I'm inclined to say if these were angels, they were in a far worse and degenerate state than bad ones.
I only gave 2 choices...good or bad. Loyal or unloyal.

What's the difference then?
difference in what?

And that is why I oppose the book of Enoch and any derived teaching from it.
I dont think that the book of Enoch is inspired either,
and that is NOT where I am getting my info...all Bible.

I am sure He did not give them permission...but they did it anyway.
Impp-impossible!!!! :eek:
people do it every day....angels evidently do too...

The flood came after the adamic valley had been so corrupted by fallen angels seedline,
that God had no choice but to start over, with Noah.
No choice?!!!! :(

yep...but perhaps that is a poor choice of words....
for-ordained before the foundations of the world.

so, you now know God's will? His plan?
the bible is filled with trial...filled with people that do as they please.
Well, I did always have a desire to see things from God's perspective. ;)
lots of entities, both human and angelic, don't.

of course God is sovern...
that still does not mean that the bad angels can't have rebelled and done as they pleased.
True. But if you study their patterns, you can easily tell that they would not be interested in doing such a thing.
easily?
The pattern "biblically" is indeed angels mixing with humans.

That's why I suggested a different group. Satan walks like a prowling lion and takes advantage of things (Eph. 4:27) and is a thief (John 10:10) whereas these supposed angels sound vastly different (Gen. 6:2 and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose).
so...different than what? good angels and bad angels.
Satan is a bad one....and he is described in MANY ways, not JUST the two you mentioned.

it is his plan...WAS his plan I should say, to stop the PURE seedline from Adam to Jesus.

Basically, when Satan is described, he has role of prosecutors, resembling a snake or lion (and his demons scorpions (Luke 10:19), and military terms are employed when referring to him and his demons (Mark 5). And they sound like they are active in spiritual warfare (Mark 9:29, Dan. 9-10).
demons are not angels.

What does it mean by took and by chose? Is this a forcible wed or an agreement? Sounds like the former to me. If the sons of God were angels, they did rape then marriage rather than marriage. What fallen angel would do that when they have more important goals?
ummmm....that WAS their exact goal...
and married is married....
the "bad" angels came here and sired kids...real big ones.
prob. the basis for the greek and roman "gods".

prob. genetic manipulation...
As for the other posters who provided quotes that are supposed to tell me that angels had sex with women, I'm not going to address those as I already have several months ago. What I'm going to do in this thread is defend the goodness of fallen angels and separate them from the Gen. 6 account.
fallen angels...goodness...huh?

Good luck defending the Enoch doctrine,
who me? Enoch may not be inspired, and I never even mentioned the book with regards to my understanding.

hey, maybe some things in Enoch are real/true..even if the entire book is not inspired.

but there's no way I will allow fallen angels to receive blame for the events that transpired in Gen. 6 (on the other hand, I think I'll just move onto another thread).
you won't let? lol.
knock yourself out.

40And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise.
41And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.
42And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken.
43And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.

10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

5I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
6And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
7Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
8Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
9Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NNSV

Feb 5, 2011
✟15,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
jpark....

I only gave 2 choices...good or bad. Loyal or unloyal.

difference in what?

I dont think that the book of Enoch is inspired either,
and that is NOT where I am getting my info...all Bible.

people do it every day....angels evidently do too...

yep...but perhaps that is a poor choice of words....
for-ordained before the foundations of the world.

lots of entities, both human and angelic, don't.

easily?
The pattern "biblically" is indeed angels mixing with humans.

so...different than what? good angels and bad angels.
Satan is a bad one....and he is described in MANY ways, not JUST the two you mentioned.

it is his plan...WAS his plan I should say, to stop the PURE seedline from Adam to Jesus.

demons are not angels.

ummmm....that WAS their exact goal...
and married is married....
the "bad" angels came here and sired kids...real big ones.
prob. the basis for the greek and roman "gods".

prob. genetic manipulation...

fallen angels...goodness...huh?

who me? Enoch may not be inspired, and I never even mentioned the book with regards to my understanding.

hey, maybe some things in Enoch are real/true..even if the entire book is not inspired.

you won't let? lol.
knock yourself out.

40And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise.
41And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.
42And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken.
43And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.

10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

5I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
6And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
7Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
8Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
9Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

This entire post is erudite, and yes all of this information can be found by reading only the books in the biblical canon.

Upvote 0

NNSV

Feb 5, 2011
✟15,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe demons are NOT angels, and are most likely the left over spiritual remnant of the mingling of man and angelic spirit. I also think that, in addition to direct intercourse/marriage, there may have been some indirect marriage via genetic manipulation (since the same thing is happening today.) Marriage is sex: no license needed. When you have intercourse, you are married under the eyes of God.
Now under the eyes of the state... well that doesn't really matter spiritually does it? A marriage license with your wife (whom you have had intercourse with) means nothing to God if you are cheating on her with Peggy Sue. To God, you are married to Peggy Sue, and divorced from your previous wife (via adultery.)

Likewise, the angels took wives for all they chose as a consequence of mingling their seed with [the daughters of] men. Angels can "trans-substantiate" into human form (I assume with all parts and pieces, including penis) just as the angels that encountered Lot did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NNSV

Feb 5, 2011
✟15,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

gotquestions.org is good, but for an apologetic of this magnitude (in which the Church will [most likely] never agree on an answer,) I prefer search the bible myself, reading context, Hebrew, Greek, and original translation (as best as I can find them.)

For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

(For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)

The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished
2 Peter 2:4-9

The first verse says that the angels that sinned are kept in chains until Judgment. They are not running around spiritually tormenting. They are in spiritual jail.

And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling&#8212;these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.
Jude 1:6

Again, the fallen angels that sinned (whether it meant trying to usurp God, or polluting the bloodline of His children by mingling seed) are kept in darkness until judgment. That means they are not spiritually roaming around now as demons.

Now if the fallen angels (the fathers of the Gibborim/Rephaim/Anakim/Nephilim/etc.) have been kept in spiritual chains and will not be release until judgment and their doom, the deduction is that their offspring are these demons. Why?

If two humans (with dead spirits) mate, they produce a child with a dead spirit, which will eventually die in the flesh also. For example, Adam is the father of the human race, but his spirit died after he sinned (hence, "this day you will die"; Gen. 2:17.) Therefore, if Adam mates with any other human with a dead spirit, he will produce a child dead in the spirit.

Christ was born of woman, but His Father is God - The Eternal Holy Spirit. Therefore, even though Christ's body was human, His Spirit was immortal (and vindicated as per His perfect life.) As a special case per His perfect life, Christ can even resurrect His mortal body to life - He is completely immortal.

Fallen Angels = spiritual beings/Immortals
Humans (post-Adam) = human beings/Mortals

An immortal being directly procreating with a mortal being will produce a mortal vessel with the spirit of the father. In the case of the Gibborim/Nephilim/Rephaim/Anakim, their father was an angel/pure spirit. Therefore, though these hybrids had "human" bodies (with genetic abnormalities like Giantism and polydigitism) which die, they have spirits of their father - which don't die unless God kills it.

Now, notice there is a distinct difference between the Hebrew phrases "b'nai Elohiym" in Gen 6:2, "sa'iyr" in Lev 17:7, "satan" throughout the old testament, and "shed" in Deut 32:17, as well as the Hebrew word for a [good] angel:

B'nai Elohiym - Hebrew Phrase for Sons of God; colloquially called a Fallen Angel
Sa'iyr - Hebrew word for a Satyr, shaggy one, a he-goat, or devil ; colloquially called a devil
Satan - Hebrew word for an opponent, adversary, or arch-enemy of good; colloquially called satan
Shed - Hebrew word for daemon; a devil. Colloquially called a devil
*Malak* - Hebrew word for a dispatched deputy (of God,) or a messenger of God. Also used to describe a King, Teacher, Pastor, Ambassador, or Prophet (of God). Colloquially called an [Good] Angel

Demons in Hebrew is by definition NOT the same as any angel (b'nai Elohiym, Malak) - fallen or otherwise. We are given power by Christ as humans to cast out devils, or "daimonions" in Greek (in His name.)

Daimonion - Greek word for a daemonic being.

Yet, we won't haven anything to do with the [fallen] angels until judgment:

Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
1 Cor 6:1-3

So to bring it around, if the fallen angels are bound in spiritual chains until judgment, and the saints judge them at Judgment, then the angels are not the spirits existent as "satan," "shed," or "daimonion" on earth today.

Their offspring that die (but have spirits of their angelic fathers) are ethereally existent, and are described as "satan," and especially "shed or daimonion." These are the creatures we have power over, to cast out these creatures in other people. Christ did not give us power to judge the angels yet: that is reserved for Judgment Day. Moreover, there are no "[fallen] angels" to cast out or judge, because the sinful angels are all bound until Judgment Day.

That is my $0.02 from my own study. There is more detail from the book of Enoch that directly classifies daemons and fallen angels as separate entities, but of course the book of Enoch is close to blasphemy to some. Still, the bible canon provides enough detail to make the distinction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NNSV

Feb 5, 2011
✟15,396.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am open to what you think, Jig (from your own study.) We both have the foundation that fallen angels are the "sons of God" described in Genesis 6:2, but the "demon" classification has been a nebulous topic in the Church. For example, I believe demons are the spiritual product of an angel and human hybrid child. However, as more and more "nephilim" procreated with humans, the angelic spirit (genetics) is divided. So, that begs the question of whether the Alphas (first generation Hybrids) or Betas are demons (how far down the generations can it go?)

Moreover, if we say that demons are fallen angels, how do these fallen interact with us if they are bound in spiritual jail? Do they remotely project their spirit, or is there some other mechanism? How does possession work for them from jail? How can these spirits request to be put into swine if they are projecting their spirit from jail? Or, how can they walk through the dry land seeking rest (Matt 12:43) after being cast out if they are remotely projecting from jail? There are lots of questions on both ends...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Moreover, if we say that demons are fallen angels, how do these fallen interact with us if they are bound in spiritual jail? Do they remotely project their spirit, or is there some other mechanism? How does possession work for them from jail? How can these spirits request to be put into swine if they are projecting their spirit from jail? Or, how can they walk through the dry land seeking rest (Matt 12:43) after being cast out if they are remotely projecting from jail? There are lots of questions on both ends...

All these questions become irrelevant if your assumption - that all fallen angels are currently bound - is wrong.

Is Jude 6 talking about all fallen angels? 1 Peter 5:8 tells us that Satan - who is a fallen angel - is not currently bound. Why would God imprison the rest of the fallen angels, but allow the leader of the rebellion to remain free? Jude seems to be talking only about those few angels who in Genesis 6 "indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh."

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with Jig with a slight modification...

There are different varieties of fallen creatures in God's creation. There is man, there are angels, there are the unclean spirits or demons, and I believe Satan is another type. I believe Satan to be a fallen Cherub.

In addition, there are the Leviathan and the Behemoth. I don't know what to do with them yet. They seem to have been created bad from the start; would that still be considered "fallen?" Maybe not.

Now the demons, the disembodied spirits of the hybrid offspring of the angels, they seem to be bad from their beginning too, but one view of the etymology of the word Nephilim may signify their being cosnidered born "fallen".

And yes, the sinful angels that are bound in Jude are those who were judged prior to the flood, but not others that may have fallen since.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with Jig with a slight modification...

There are different varieties of fallen creatures in God's creation. There is man, there are angels, there are the unclean spirits or demons, and I believe Satan is another type. I believe Satan to be a fallen Cherub.

In addition, there are the Leviathan and the Behemoth. I don't know what to do with them yet. They seem to have been created bad from the start; would that still be considered "fallen?" Maybe not.

Now the demons, the disembodied spirits of the hybrid offspring of the angels, they seem to be bad from their beginning too, but one view of the etymology of the word Nephilim may signify their being cosnidered born "fallen".

And yes, the sinful angels that are bound in Jude are those who were judged prior to the flood, but not others that may have fallen since.

In what way is a cherub not an angel? Please provide Scriptural support.

Upvote 0

ElijahW

Jan 8, 2011
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe they were fallen angels. The term "sons of God" is an exclusive angelic reference in the OT.
Philo speaks around this area from a Hellenized Jewish perspective in his book “On the Giants” Both angels and demons are the intellectual entities that formed the universe, that philosophers put their mind towards. They aren’t fallen angels or unclean spirits in the traditional sense of a spiritual element that is mixed with matter... like you would find with an idol or art.
"And there were giants on the earth in those Days." Perhaps some one may here think, that the lawgiver is speaking enigmatically and alluding to the fables handed down by the poets about giants, though he is a man as far removed as possible from any invention of fables, and one who thinks fit only to walk in the paths of truth itself; in consequence of which principle, he has banished from the constitution, which he has established, those celebrated and beautiful arts of statuary and painting, because they, falsely imitating the nature of the truth, contrive deceits and snares, in order, through the medium of the eyes, to beguile the souls which are liable to be easily won over. Therefore he utters no fable whatever respecting the giants; but he wishes to set this fact before your eyes, that some men are born of the earth, and some are born of heaven, and some are born of God: those are born of the earth, who are hunters after the pleasures of the body, devoting themselves to the enjoyment and fruition of them, and being eager to provide themselves with all things that tend to each of them. Those again are born of heaven who are men of skill and science and devoted to learning; for the heavenly portion of us is our mind, and the mind of every one of those persons who are born of heaven studies the encyclical branches of education and every other art of every description, sharpening, and exercising, and practicing itself, and rendering itself acute in all those matters which are the objects of intellect
And in another part pointing out that demons and angels are the same.
“If, therefore, you consider that souls, and demons, and angels are things differing indeed in name, but not identical in reality, you will then be able to discard that most heavy burden, superstition.”

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In what way is a cherub not an angel? Please provide Scriptural support.
I realize medieval Christian writers classified cherubim as a sort of angel. I think that is unwarranted by the Scriptures.

Whenever the Bible uses the word angel for heavenly messengers come to earth they invariably have human features from head to toe. They are even called "men" from time to time. People have entertained angels unawares because of this. When Ezekiel describes the cherubim in chapter 1 of his book, they are awesome in appearance, and do not look human in the least. They have wings and animal faces. A cherub is a different sort of a heavenly creature than an angel.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I realize medieval Christian writers classified cherubim as a sort of angel. I think that is unwarranted by the Scriptures.

Whenever the Bible uses the word angel for heavenly messengers come to earth they invariably have human features from head to toe. They are even called "men" from time to time. People have entertained angels unawares because of this. When Ezekiel describes the cherubim in chapter 1 of his book, they are awesome in appearance, and do not look human in the least. They have wings and animal faces. A cherub is a different sort of a heavenly creature than an angel.

Do you believe that angels take on different appearances?

Upvote 0