Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The arguments presented against the angelic interpretation are weak at best.

The fact that the New Testament calls human beings "sons of God" through Jesus Christ has virtually no bearing on how the phrase sons of God was used in the Old Testament. This is like saying that when George Washington used the word "intercourse" he was talking about sex, because that is how we use the word today (except worse actually).
Great Point!

The fact that Angels are not taken and given in marriage is irrelevant, because the whole point of the claim is that these angels deliberately sinned by "leaving their first estate" which means they deliberately went against their nature and left the mode of existence that they would normally carry on. Moreover, it is stated that the sin of the fallen angels was like that of Sodom, indicating, most likely that it had some kind of sexual component, specifically an aberrant, unnatural sexual component.
Again great point!

Angelic beings do not, by nature, have physical form or bodies. However, they are capable of appearing in physical form and manipulating a body, which the Bible makes clear they do.

As such an angelic being would not have it's own native DNA in the way a human being would. However, there is nothing to indicate that they would be incapable of either taking human genetic material and modifying it into DNA that they sort of make their own.
Another great point!

In my opinion, the motivation of these angels was procreation itself, not sexual lust. They recognized the unique power God gave to human beings of being able to produce offspring of their own, something the angels by their nature could not due. I think the point of what they did was essentially to co-opt the human gift of procreation to attempt to essentially make creations of their own, offspring they would essentially engineer into their own vision of what they wanted their offspring to be.
To that I would add their goal was to corrupt the seed of man to prevent Jesus from coming in human form.

Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 6:9
These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

In many passages in the OT God had the giant clans wiped out just for the reason stated above IMHO.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my opinion one of the driving factors for the strong opposing against the scriptural position that fallen angels cohabited with human females is the inability for many to get thier head around the supernatural aspect of this event.

The Sethite theory is taught in many theological seminaries and those denominations in many case also discount the Gifts of the Spirit as viable today. Again discounting the supernatural workings of the Spirit of God.

When a person or denominational group discounts the supernatural or tries to limit it to their own idea of how it should work actually limits the truth of scripture and the workings of God in the church today.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here is a suggestion -- listen to Jesus when it comes to Psalms 82

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are sons of the most High. NIV

John 10:
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

Your interpretation of this text is not demanded by the text.

"if he called them 'gods' to whom the word of God came,"

I suspect you are assuming that this means the Nation of Israel. That is not demanded by the text. I can just as easily mean the Divine Councilors mentioned in Psalm 82. The setting of the Psalm is that God comes into the Divine Council, and gives them a pronouncement... in other words, "the word of God came to them". It is also possible that Jesus, and the author of John are deliberately playing on the title "Word of God" as a divine reference, just as is done in the first chapter of this same gospel. In this case, Jesus would be saying that the "God" who is speaking in the Divine Council scene in Psalm 82 is actually the Word of God, the pre-incarnate Jesus.

In this context what Jesus is saying to the Jews in John 10 is basically this "Your own scriptures specifically state that there are gods. Further you know that one of the "gods" of the Divine Council was uniquely set aside by the Father as his own. So why do you accuse me of blasphemy?"

Keep in mind that the idea of a "second Yahweh" and the idea that there would be a divine "Son of Man" was already known by 2nd Temple era Jews from the Old Testament. Jesus is basically saying, you know that this person exists... I am that person.

To make Jesus interpret Psalm 82 as speaking to humans really makes little sense, and actually ruins Jesus' claim to be God. In this case what you have Jesus saying is this "Your own scriptures say that human beings can metaphorically be called gods. So why do you call me a blasphemer when I claim to be the son of God?"

This basically has Jesus saying "I'm not really claiming to be God, it's all a metaphor guys!" That does not work very well in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let proposition P1 = The sons of God in Gen 6:2 were angels having sexual intercourse with human females.

True?
In some sense, yes. The question would be how would and angel actually have sexual intercourse with a woman?

We all agree I'm sure that an angel can make use of a body. However, it would probably be wrong to think of this as being like the incarnation of Jesus. Jesus took human nature and joined it to his divine nature. Thus his human body was truly human, and was truly his.

With an angel, it would be more akin to using a body like a marionette. The body would not BE the angel in the way that Jesus' body is Jesus, or your body is you.

An angel does not have DNA. They could make DNA, or they could take human sperm, and modify it's DNA, but it would never truly be the angel's DNA. It would only be DNA that they modified to fit their ideas and desires.

Thus they would be trying to make a new type of being after their own image and likeness, but it would truly only be the image and likeness that they designed, and thus could almost be thought of as an idol of themselves.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 82:1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
Here is a suggestion -- listen to Jesus when it comes to Psalms 82

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are sons of the most High. NIV

John 10:
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”
Your interpretation of this text is not demanded by the text.

"if he called them 'gods' to whom the word of God came,"
ahhh yes "those TO WHOM the Word of God came" - as in Rom 3:2 "for theirs are the Oracles of God"

In fact the solution I presented is irrefutable given the audience and context.

The audience is Jews -- believers in the OT.
The false accusation they make against Christ is that He is guilty of blasphemy.
Christ points out that God Himself refers to Israel as "sons of the Most High" and given that fact - they are in no position to charge Him with blasphemy for using that term. in fact even expanding this to apply to all humans does not change the point of Christ's argument.

Ps 82
2 How long will you judge unjustly
And show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3 Vindicate the weak and fatherless;
Do justice to the afflicted and destitute.
4 Rescue the weak and needy;
Save them from the hand of the wicked.
5 They do not know nor do they understand;
They walk around in darkness;
All the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6 I said, “You are gods,
And all of you are sons of the Most High.
7 Nevertheless you will die like men,
And fall like one of the princes.”
8 Arise, God, judge the earth!
For You possess all the nations.

in John 10

What is more -- John 10 could never be construed as Jesus claiming that "just like the demons of the Old Testament in Gen 6 - so He is called the son of God - so why complain" -- such wild speculations show a certain paucity in logic

Neither can it be His argument that if God calls the sinless angels sons of God in Ps 82 then it must be ok for a good person in the days of John 10 to call Himself the son of God -- as if the Pharisees assumed Jesus was fully equal to a "sinless angel from heaven". That too would be nonsense.

It can only be "if He called those to whom scripture is written - the sons of God - in Ps 82 - then how do you condemn ME for cakkubg myself "son of God"?

This is inescapable.
I suspect you are assuming that this means the Nation of Israel.
The listeners would take is that way - this is irrefutable. In a more generous moment they would take it as addressed to all humans. But no instruction is given to fallen angels in the psalms nor does God command fallen angels to "judge justly" as though He had given them any such position after their fall.

They would take Ps 82 as a statement by God to their ancestors.

35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart

"those to whom the Word of God came" in the OT - is Israel as Rom 3:1-4 makes very clear - "theirs is the oracles of God"

my view is explicit -- in the text.

What is more -- John 10 could never be construed as Jesus claiming that "just like the demons of the Old Testament - he is called the son of God - so why complain?" -- such wild speculations show a certain paucity in logic
In this context what Jesus is saying to the Jews in John 10 is basically this "Your own scriptures specifically state that there are gods.
No true.

His point is that God "called them gods" TO WHOM The WORD of God was written in the Psalms.

Psalms was not written to fallen angels and the Jews of Christ's day knew it.
To make Jesus interpret Psalm 82 as speaking to humans really makes little sense, and actually ruins Jesus' claim to be God.
1. It makes perfect sense given the context both of Ps 82 and John 10 where we are speaking specifically of those to whom scripture was written in the Psalms. It is irrefutable.

2. In Luke 4:4 when demons cry out "YOU ARE THE SON OF GOD" - Jesus commands them to silence. Jesus was not making that claim to the unbelieving Jews until the time of the cross. He revealed it to His followers but not to the general public until later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
read more.
KJV –
John 1: 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his nam
Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
Luke 20:36 nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.
Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.
Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
1. Jesus said Angels do not even engage in the function that some speculate for Gen 6:1-6 in Matt 22. Let alone with other species.
2. Gen 6 says the giants were on Earth BEFORE the mixed marriages of Gen 6:1.
3. The Bible makes it clear that the people of God are the sons of God.

OT “Sons of God”
KJV - “
Hos 11:1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him, I called My son out of Egypt” NKJV, YLT, NIV

Ex 4:22 Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the Lord: “Israel is My son, My firstborn. 23 So I say to you, let My son go that he may serve Me. But if you refuse to let him go, indeed I will kill your son, your firstborn.” ’ ”

The fact that the New Testament calls human beings "sons of God" through Jesus Christ has virtually no bearing on how the phrase sons of God was used in the Old Testament. This is like saying that when George Washington used the word "intercourse" he was talking about sex, because that is how we use the word today (except worse actually).

The fact that Angels are not taken and given in marriage is irrelevant
Particularly since Gen 6 does not mention angels at all. ON that point you are correct.
Nor are angels mentioned at all in Ps 82 - rather you "infer them" into the text.

BTW - "ALL scripture inspired by God AND to be used for doctrine" 2 Tim 3:16 -- not "just the OT"
, because the whole point of the claim is that these angels deliberately sinned by "leaving their first estate"
But it would be a massive amount of inference to pour into that text - the idea of bending it to say "mating with other species" which is where you are left in your choice to infer into the phrase - "left their first estate" - the idea of "mating with other species"

The speculation of the form "Sinned by creating themselves such that they can mate and even more - mate with other species" is a wild departure from any actual text.

The speculation of the form "Sinned by creating themselves such that they can mate and even more - mate with other species" is a wild departure from any actual text.

What is more -- John 10 could never be construed as Jesus claiming that "just like the demons of the Old Testament in Gen 6 - so He is called the son of God - so why complain" -- such wild speculations show a certain paucity in logic

Neither can it be His argument that if God calls the sinless angels sons of God in Ps 82 then it must be ok for a good person in the days of John 10 to call Himself the son of God -- as if the Pharisees assumed Jesus was fully equal to a "sinless angel from heaven". That too would be nonsense.

It can only be "if He called those to whom scripture is written - the sons of God - in Ps 82 - then how do you condemn ME for cakkubg myself "son of God"?

This again - is irrefutable.
As such an angelic being would not have it's own native DNA in the way a human being would.
If they were divine God's they could just "create that feature out of thin air" but none of us thinks angels are God

Giants in the Bible

Goliath - was a legendary Philistine warrior
a Gittite. Killed by David. 1Chr 20:5 :"Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite", therefore Goliath was a son of "the giant in Gath". 2Sam 21:22 refers to 4 sons born to the giant in Gath, which were slain by David and his 4 servants thus makes (5) sons

A descendant of Rapha in a lineage of giants, he is most famous for his battle with David,

Rapha: Originally the name of one of the Philistines who was of the body "Rephaites" stood in the text. The plural of this word, or at least a plural of this stem, is REPHAIM (which see). (2) Raphah (the King James Version "Rapha"), a descendant of Saul ( 1 Chronicles 8:37 ). See REPHAIAH

The word Rephaim means "terrible ones" and they are described in the Bible as "giants" and "mighty men." The Rephaim (or Rephaites) appear first in a battle with king Chedorlaomer (Genesis 14:5). Chedorlaomer and his allies defeated the Rephaim, along with the Zuzim and Emim peoples. The Rephaim were similar to the Anakim (Deuteronomy 2:20–21). The Rephaim are mentioned again in Exodus when the Israelites were trying to enter the Promised Land.

Deut 2:10,11
Both the Anakim and the Emim are giants and are both regarded as Raphaim.
Numbers 13:33 We also saw the Nephilim there (the sons of Anak are part of the Nephilim); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.” NASB

Number 13:33 - and there we saw the Nephilim, sons of Anak, of the Nephilim; and we are in our own eyes as grasshoppers; and so we were in their eyes.' YLT

ALL other translations use ‘Giants” as the translation for Nephilim in Numbers 13

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In fact the solution I presented is irrefutable given the audience and context.

Nope. Irrefutable in your mind, and irrefutable in reality are two different things.

The audience is Jews -- believers in the OT.
The false accusation they make against Christ is that He is guilty of blasphemy.

Yes the audience Jesus is talking to is Jews who believe in the OT. This adds nothing at all to your case.
Yes the false accusation they made against him was blasphemy for claiming to be the Son of God, equal with God. Again, this is not in dispute and adds nothing to your case.

Christ points out that God Himself refers to Israel as "sons of the Most High" and given that fact - they are in no position to charge Him with blasphemy for using that term. in fact even expanding this to apply to all humans does not change the point of Christ's argument.

This is the logical fallacy known as begging the question. You are assuming your conclusion to be true in your premises. The question being debated is "does God refer to Israel as "sons of the Most High", thus you can't assume that he does as one of the premises of your argument.

The second portion of this is also very weak.
If I claim to be the unique Son of God who is co-equal with God, and you tell me I'm insane for claiming that, if I turn around and say "you can't say I'm insane for saying that, because God said we are all sons of God." I'm denying my own claim.
There is no point whatsoever in saying "I'm THE Son of God, but don't worry about it because we're all sons of God."

2 How long will you judge unjustly
And show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3 Vindicate the weak and fatherless;
Do justice to the afflicted and destitute.
4 Rescue the weak and needy;
Save them from the hand of the wicked.
5 They do not know nor do they understand;
They walk around in darkness;
All the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6 I said, “You are gods,
And all of you are sons of the Most High.
7 Nevertheless you will die like men,
And fall like one of the princes.”

You left off the first verse. Here it is the ESV translation

God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

The first verse makes it abundantly clear exactly what is going on, and who God is talking to. He is in the Divine Council, in heaven. He is talking to the elohim (gods) who we today would call angels.

Also... if I were to grant that he is talking to mere human beings here the next question would be... why is there punishment that they will die like.... human beings? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Regarding this point...

[/QUOTE]

This makes perfect sense when you consider that the Divine Council was given charge over the nations of the earth.

Consider Deuteronomy 32:8-9
When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance,
when he divided mankind,
he fixed the borders of the peoples
according to the number of the sons of God.
9 But the Lord's portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.

We know from Genesis 10 that this number was 70. There were specifically 70 elohim, sons of God, part of the Divine Council who were given charge over the nations.

We also see this in Daniel chapter 10 when the angel Gabriel tells Daniel that the Prince of Persia withstood Gabriel and prevented him from delivering his message for 20 days. He also mentions that the Prince of Greece is coming to fight with them.

What the Psalmist is saying with this...

[/QUOTE]

Is a prayer to God to rise up and judge the fallen gods that rule over the pagan nations. He is saying they rule now, but the nations belong to you, so arise and judge them.

This is inescapable.

No. Not only is it not inescapable, it's not even very convincing. I will admit that your interpretation is possible, it's not completely denied by the text. It has also been held by many intelligent people, and is still the dominant position. However, it is not the only possible interpretation that fits with the text, and in my opinion, I don't think it is convincing.

Before we move on I want to examine another point in Daniel, specifically chapter 7 because it bears on this conversation and on the Divine Council.

Daniel 7:9-10 and 13-14
9 “As I looked,

thrones were placed,
and the Ancient of Days took his seat;
his clothing was white as snow,
and the hair of his head like pure wool;
his throne was fiery flames;
its wheels were burning fire.
10 A stream of fire issued
and came out from before him;
a thousand thousands served him,
and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him;
the court sat in judgment,
and the books were opened.

13 “I saw in the night visions,

and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
and was presented before him.
14 And to him was given dominion
and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
which shall not pass away,
and his kingdom one
that shall not be destroyed.

One of the things that hinders understanding of many on this and similar topics is that they have a false image of what the Jews actually believed. In this passage from Daniel there is something that was shocking to the Jewish world and is a scandal to this very day.

The phrase "son of man" is a simple Hebrew idiom that just means "human". To say that someone is a son of man, means that person is human.
What Daniel says here is that he saw the Divine Council set up in heaven. Thrones were brought out for the members of the council and then God himself, the Ancient of Days comes and takes his seat. He renders judgement.

Then, a human being comes into the divine council, riding on the clouds! He comes before God and is presented to God. Then God gives him dominion, glory, all the nations will serve him, and he will reign forever.

Perhaps the most shocking thing here to the Jewish mind is that the son of man is described as riding on the clouds of heaven. This was a divine descriptor in the OT. This was how the Canaanites described Baal. This was how other Pagans described their sky god. The Israelites in turn took that image and said no, it is Yahweh who rides on the clouds of heaven.

So here, to the ancient Jewish mind this is essentially saying there is a human man here who is in heaven, and who is God.

We know that the Jews realized the shocking nature of this passage because there are writings from before the time of Jesus where the Jews are speculating about who this son of man could possibly be. Some thought Jacob, some thought various other patriarchs or prophets. But they knew, before the time of Jesus that there was a man who would be in the Divine Council, and who would be God.

This character the "Son of Man" also shows up in the Book of Enoch (written probably around 200 to 300 years before Jesus and well known among the Jews. In this book he is also explicitly identified as a divine person.

THIS is what Jesus was referring to. He was calling out the Jews because they knew very well that in their own scriptures and in their own speculations and literature, there would be a man who would be in the divine council, who would be God.

Psalm 82 is another example of the Divine Council meeting.

The listeners would take is that way - this is irrefutable. In a more generous moment they would take it as addressed to all humans. But no instruction is given to fallen angels in the psalms nor does God command fallen angels to "judge justly" as though He had given them any such position after their fall.

They would take Ps 82 as a statement by God to their ancestors.

No. This is how YOU would take it. This is not how a 1st century Jew would take it. You are reading this in a way that is based on how people hundreds of years after the fact understood it, after the previous interpretation had been deliberately changed because people were uncomfortable with it.

The Jews themselves changed how these passages were understood hundreds of years after the time of Christ. If you look at the Septuagint which was translated before the time of Christ, and look at the Masoretic texts which were compiled around 800 AD or the Talmud around 400 to 500 AD you will find that they text is actually different.

In Deuteronomy 32 the Septuagint has "according to the number of the angels of God", the Masoretic has "according to the number of the children of Israel"

Here is what the Septuagint has for Psalm 82:1 A Psalm for Asaph. God stands in the assembly of gods; and in the midst of them will judge gods.

This is how the Jews understood the text before the time of Christ.

35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart

"those to whom the Word of God came" in the OT - is Israel as Rom 3:1-4 makes very clear - "theirs is the oracles of God"

my view is explicit -- in the text.

No. It really isn't.

Again, I admit, it is possible to interpret "to whom the word of God came" to mean the Israelites. That isn't a wild leap or a crazy fancy. It is, not, however, the only possible interpretation.

The phrase "the word of the Lord came to..." is used repeatedly in the Old Testament and it is virtually always used of a specific message delivered to a specific person or group, and here is the kicker, BY A PERSON.

Many of us are conditioned to think of the phrase "the word of the Lord came to..." as simply a formal way of saying, I got a message, and that the "word" in question is the message.

However, if you look closely at the OT instances where this happens you will find that the "word of the Lord" is actually a person who is visibly present and who is talking to and interacting with the person being spoken to.

The "word of the Lord" in these contexts does not refer to the scriptures. It refers to a person who is sent with a message. This is undoubtedly the tradition that John is making use of when he identifies Jesus as "The Word" in the beginning of his gospel.

Thus it is entirely possible, and likely, that Jesus is not saying "he called them gods, who received the scriptures" but rather "he called them gods to whom the Word came and spoke.

No true.

His point is that God "called them gods" TO WHOM The WORD of God was written in the Psalms.

Again, no. This is not in the text. This is purely your own assumption and interpretation. What it says is "he called them gods to whom the Word of God came" You are then assuming that the "word of God" in question is the scriptures or more specifically the psalms. That is not a necessary conclusion or assumption.

Psalms was not written to fallen angels and the Jews of Christ's day knew it.

No one is arguing that. What we are talking about is not who the Psalm was written TO, but rather who the Psalm is ABOUT. Who is it describing, not who is it written to.

Moreover, another point is that we should ask the question... If the psalm is describing the Israelites, and God is angry with the Israelites and is judging them... why does the Psalm end with the Psalmist asking God to judge the nations? Kind of a switch isn't it... unless the whole Psalm is talking about the nations under the sway of the pagan fallen gods.

1. It makes perfect sense given the context both of Ps 82 and John 10 where we are speaking specifically of those to whom scripture was written in the Psalms. It is irrefutable.

No, it's not irrefutable. It is arguable, it is possible, not remotely irrefutable.

2. In Luke 4:4 when demons cry out "YOU ARE THE SON OF GOD" - Jesus commands them to silence. Jesus was not making that claim to the unbelieving Jews until the time of the cross. He revealed it to His followers but not to the general public until later.
Sure, Jesus did conceal his identity for a good portion of his ministry... but are you honestly suggesting that he would deliberately out himself, and then try to conceal it?

Saying to a demon "be quiet" because it wasn't the right time yet, is way different than Jesus himself saying "I'm the Son of God" and then being like "Ha, just kidding!"

Ok, I have a question for you...

Jude 6-7

6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day— 7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

What angels indulged in a sin like Sodom and Gomorrah, that involved sexual immorality?

Keep in mind that literally 7 verses later Jude quotes the Book of Enoch
It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones,...

The very same book that goes into great detail about the Angels known as the Watchers, producing offspring with human women.

Also we have 2nd Peter 2:4-5
4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell[a] and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;

I admit that you could argue that the angels sinning is separate from the judgement of the ancient world in Noah's day, but doesn't it seem like they are being connected? What angels sinned before and at the time of Noah?

Or also... we know that other fallen angels are not imprisoned and are still out doing things on earth... so who are these group that are imprisoned while the others are still free to roam the earth?

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
read more.

Pure arrogance and rudeness. Do better.

1. Jesus said Angels do not even engage in the function that some speculate for Gen 6:1-6 in Matt 22. Let alone with other species.

He doesn't explicitly say that, in fact. However, I already made that point and addressed it myself.

No, this is simply a common rhetorical device of saying "the situation was X" and then going on to explain in more detail how situation X came to be.

You are missing a lot here. The idea of Israel collectively as the son of God, and metaphorically as sons of God, existed in the Old Testament.

However, the phrase "the sons of God" "b'nai ha Elohim" or "b'nai ha El Elyon" etc is used repeatedly to refer to angels. It is used in cases to refer to angels where it CAN'T possibly refer to human beings.

The situation is we have several cases where the phrase unquestionable refers to angels because the context makes it impossible to refer to anything else. Then we have two cases where this is disputed. Those are the two cases we are arguing about.

However, the greater point is that you seem to be missing a crucial distinction between the OT and the NT. The idea of Divine Sonship that Jesus claimed, and the the subsequent NT writers claimed for all Christians through Christ as totally unique from the idea of divine sonship in the OT.

They are literally not talking about the same thing. The Sonship of Jesus, and the sonship we have through Jesus are not metaphorical, they are not generalized in the sense of we were created by God, therefore we are all his children. They are a true familial relationship. That is a totally different thing. The Jews and the Israelites never claimed that in the OT ever. That idea did not exist for them.

Particularly since Gen 6 does not mention angels at all. ON that point you are correct.

This is just being obtuse. Angels are often not referred to with the word "angel" in the OT. Particularly since the word translated "angel" just means "messenger" and it didn't become a catch-all term for all celestial beings until much later. In the OT the term "angel" is only used when the "angel" is actually acting as a messenger, and not even always then.

BTW - "ALL scripture inspired by God AND to be used for doctrine" 2 Tim 3:16 -- not "just the OT"

Again, deliberately missing the point. The point is not that the New Testament isn't inspired. The point is to try and understand what the precise language meant when it was written, in the culture and time that it was written. This is particularly true when even the theology involved was dramatically changed by the Advent of Jesus. Sons of God in the OT does not mean the same thing that it means in the NT. Two different ideas.

If they were divine God's they could just "create that feature out of thin air" but non of us thinks angels are God

This is what's known as strawman and not bothering to try and actually understand or take seriously what the other person is saying.

This kind of behavior makes the conversation not worth having.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes the audience Jesus is talking to is Jews who believe in the OT. This adds nothing at all to your case.
Yes the false accusation they made against him was blasphemy for claiming to be the Son of God, equal with God.
you are shooting your own case in the foot. Jesus is not appealing to the idea of calling non-humans sons of God. He is talking to humans about their own history in scripture.
This is the logical fallacy known as begging the question. You are assuming your conclusion to be true in your premises. The question being debated is "does God refer to Israel as "sons of the Most High",
OT “Sons of God”
KJV - “
Hos 11:1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him, I called My son out of Egypt” NKJV, YLT, NIV

Ex 4:22 Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the Lord: “Israel is My son, My firstborn. 23 So I say to you, let My son go that he may serve Me. But if you refuse to let him go, indeed I will kill your son, your firstborn.” ’ ”
thus you can't assume that he does
You are ignoring too many Bible details as already pointed out

the text says "TO WHOM the scripture was written" - Psalms 82 was written to the Jews.
As already pointed out Rom 3:1-4 regarding Jews "THEY were the ones with the ORACLES of God" vs 2 -- it was given to them. Written to them.
This is irrefutable and John 10 audience of Christ knew it.

And they also knew about Hos 11:1 and Ex 4

The second portion of this is also very weak.
If I claim to be the unique Son of God who is co-equal with God,
Which obviously is not the case in John 10.

The Jews do not argue "you said you are the unique Son of God co-equal with God - so that makes you claiming to be God so then we need to stone you"

Had they said such a thing -- Jesus would have to either say
1. "yep - that's right - let the stoning begin"
2. OR IF his solution was to find something in the OT where God said to a human all of what THEY were claiming He said -- only directed to a non-God being like themselves - THEN He could not quote Ps 82 - but rather a brand new made-up text from Psalms saying "I say you are the unique Son of God - co-equal with God" about some non-god person where the Jews would have to then be perfectly fine with it.
3. INSTEAD of either of those -- Jesus points to Ps 82 - where God is speaking to 'Those to whom scripture was directed' - those who were given "the oracles of God" Rom 3:2, and using very language Christ had used about Himself -- which would clear the way for the Jews to accept it EVEN though they did not accept Christ as God. That would be a logical, reasonable "solution".

What would NOT work is expecting them to accept the idea that Jesus was a teacher in Israel fully equal to a sinless angel or to God. Since that is the very point where they were not willing to go. So Jesus gives them what they CAN be reasonably expected to accept. Which is the 3rd and only viable option in my list above.

You keep pointing to the flaw in your own argument

All the while admitting that while NOT TEXT says angels can mate with themselves or with other species -- WE DO have scripture calling humans the sons of God.

KJV –
John 1: 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he the right to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his nam
Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
Luke 20:36 nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.
Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.
Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

It can only be "if He called those to whom scripture is written - the sons of God - in Ps 82 - then how do you condemn ME for making myself "son of God"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are missing a lot here. The idea of Israel collectively as the son of God, and metaphorically as sons of God, existed in the Old Testament.
which is not helping your case where you insist that it must be - fallen angels in Gen 6:1
However, the phrase "the sons of God" "b'nai ha Elohim" or "b'nai ha El Elyon" etc is used repeatedly to refer to angels.
not being questioned in my posts.
It is used in cases to refer to angels where it CAN'T possibly refer to human beings.
not contested by me
The situation is we have several cases where the phrase unquestionable refers to angels because the context makes it impossible to refer to anything else.
no doubt.
Then we have two cases where this is disputed. Those are the two cases we are arguing about.
So then your choice to infer them into Ps 82 as if "God wrote scripture to unfallen angels" is not at all upheld so far.
And your choice to omit them from the common place function of marriage among humans which Christ expressly states is not the function of angels in Matt 22 -- places your inference in very high doubt. (to say the least - since it is directly contradicted by Christ)

I don't see how this is even a little bit confusing.
However, the greater point is that you seem to be missing a crucial distinction between the OT and the NT. The idea of Divine Sonship that Jesus claimed,
You are skimming past a huge detail in John 10.

IN that chapter Jesus is NOT claiming to be the divine Son of God - because if He were it would be impossible for Him to make the case that others have that same unique one-and-only title. THEY were trying to make the case that He is claiming to be God and He is arguing against it in John 10 by showing the title used for those who are NOT the one and only almighty God.

Again I don't see how this is even a little bit confusing.
and the the subsequent NT writers claimed for all Christians through Christ as totally unique from the idea of divine sonship in the OT.
True but that is not the context for John 10 since Jesus is in the act of denying that charge made against Him by the Pharisees.

AND is why in Luke 4:4 when DEMONS shout out "YOU ARE THE Son of GOD" Christ does not respond "True THAT" but rather "SILENCE!" and would not permit them to speak. Context is everything.
They are literally not talking about the same thing.
False again.

They are having a conversation and by definition have to be talking about the same thing. One is arguing that Jesus's claim of the title makes Him out to be equal to God - and the other (Jesus) is arguing that it does NOT and proves it with Ps 82 a case where the term is used of those "TO WHOM SCRIPTURE was written" (A detail in the text you keep ignoring in your responses)
The Sonship of Jesus, and the sonship we have through Jesus are not metaphorical, they are not generalized in the sense of we were created by God, therefore we are all his children. They are a true familial relationship. That is a totally different thing. The Jews and the Israelites never claimed that in the OT ever. That idea did not exist for them.
Until you read it in the OT - NEW Covenant Jer 31:31-34 (quoted verbatim - unchanged in the NT Heb 8:6-12)
And Where God Himself calls them His Son.

1. NEW Birth, New Heart -- Jer 31:31-34 "I will write My Law on their heart"
2. Adoption Jer 31:31-34 "I will be their God they shall be My people".
3. All taught of God Jer 31:31-34
4. Full forgiveness of sins Jer 31:34 - such that Moses and Elijah stand in glory with Christ in Matt 17 - BEFORE the cross.

Angels are often not referred to with the word "angel" in the OT.
in such cases your choice to infer them into the text must be validated against the context -- not merely assumed.
Particularly since the word translated "angel" just means "messenger" and it didn't become a catch-all term for all celestial beings until much later. In the OT the term "angel" is only used when the "angel" is actually acting as a messenger, and not even always then.
Pointing to God calling someone an angel - who is merely human IN the OT would have been helpful just then.
But it is not helping your argument inferring that ANGELs are the intended audience of Ps 82 or the actors in Gen 6:1 even though the term is not there at all.
The point is to try and understand what the precise language meant when it was written, in the culture and time that it was written.
One God in both OT and NT - where God says "I do not change" -- in the OT and also the NT.

One Gospel in both OT and NT "preached to US just as it was to THEM ALSO" Heb 4:2. Gal 1:6-9
Gal 3:8 "The Gospel was preached to Abraham"
This is particularly true when even the theology involved was dramatically changed by the Advent of Jesus. Sons of God in the OT does not mean the same thing that it means in the NT.
not true.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
, because the whole point of the claim is that these angels deliberately sinned by "leaving their first estate"
But it would take a massive amount of inference to pour into that text - the idea of bending it to say "mating with other species" which is where you are left in your choice to infer into the phrase - "left their first estate" - the idea of "mating with other species"

It can only be "if He called those to whom scripture is written - the sons of God - in Ps 82 - then how do you condemn ME for making myself "son of God"?

This is what's known as strawman and not bothering to try and actually understand or take seriously what the other person is saying.
I find a certain paucity in your logic just then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But it would take a massive amount of inference to pour into that text - the idea of bending it to say "mating with other species" which is where you are left in your choice to infer into the phrase - "left their first estate" - the idea of "mating with other species"

I find a certain paucity in your logic just then.

Upvote 0

Reece4peace

Nov 12, 2023
Houston
✟2,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
No.

Rom 8:14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
John 1: 12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Matt 22 says angels do not form family arrangements within their own species let alone across other species.

4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.

So the Nephilim (large humans) where on the Earth BEFORE the mixed marriages between God's people and Cain's people, and also AFTER that mixed marriage age of man pre-flood.

So that means Noah was also himself "large human" so no wonder we find Nephilim on the Earth AFTER the flood -- Noah was Nephilim.
I saw the post that read...
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward when the sons of God came into the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.
So, the Nephilim (large humans) where on the Earth BEFORE the mixed marriages between God's people and Cain's people, and also AFTER that mixed marriage age of man pre-flood.
So that means Noah was also himself "large human" so no wonder we find Nephilim on the Earth AFTER the flood -- Noah was Nephilim.”
After I read this statement, the teacher came out of me, and I just had to address it. I will emphatically state that Noah was not a Nephilim. This is not an arbitrary statement that I make, but one that was done with diligent studying on the word and origin of Nephilim.
According to Wikipedia,
“the Nephilim are mysterious beings or people in the Hebrew Bible who are described as being large and strong. The Hebrew word Nephilim is sometimes translated as "giants", and sometimes as its literal meaning "the fallen ones".
This is where I agree with Wiki. In the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh), the Nephilim are described as being large and strong. However, this does not say who they were, but only how they looked (or how they were described). Then Wiki explains the translation of Nephilim as “giants” sometimes, and sometimes translated as its literal meaning, which is "the fallen ones". The root word scholars as a whole agree that the term “Nephilim” comes from the Hebrew word “naphal,” meaning “to fall”. Such as to fall in battle or fall from one’s original state or habitation. It signifies, fallen to a death with no salvation possible.
So, why was the word Nephilim, translated to giants? As the Hebrew scripture was translated into the Greek language (the Septuagint, also known as the Greek Old Testament, is the earliest surviving Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible from the original Hebrew language), the Greek scholars used the description of the Nephilim (being large and strong) and translated it to “Gigantes” (The Greek root is Gigas, with the plural form Gigantes). The same word is translated into the Latin version too. This Latin Vulgate Bible was used to translate the King James Bible of 1611, from which most of our modern scripture derives.
Now back to the Nephilim, and why Noah was not one. If Noah were a Nephilim, he would have never been saved from the Judgement of God, in the flood. Furthermore, God would not have declared him righteous in his generation, and he walked with God.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟30,481.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - You only have to read Job 1:6.
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to your point. There is no need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole paragraph.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: Apple Sky
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God would not have declared him righteous in his generation, and he walked with God.
That is a miss quote of the text.The text says he was "perfect in his generations" generations os plural and in this context was not referring to the period in which Noah lived.

Genesis 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Noah found grace in God's eyes.

9 These are the generations of Noah:

What are the "these" that are the generations of Noah? Verse 10 tells us.

Noah was a just man

As well as finding grace Noah was also found to be just.

and perfect in his generations,

No man who has walked the earth other than Jesus was or is perfect in a moral outstanding before God sense.

and Noah walked with God.

10 And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Noah and his offspring or blood line was "perfect" in that it had not been corrupted with nepilium blood.

Again Noah was not a perfect in the moral sense in his time period.

Strong's Concordance
toledoth: generations
Original Word: תּוֹלְדָה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: toledoth
Phonetic Spelling: (to-led-aw')
Definition: generations
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from yalad
Definition
generations
NASB Translation
account (1), birth (1), genealogical registration (12), genealogies (3), generations (21), order of their birth (1).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to your point. There is no need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole paragraph.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it.
[Act 4:13 NIV] When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

You are just an AI spin doctor, using the Bible. After a while, it becomes quite hollow.

Upvote 0