Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All this has been answered previously, so it is obvious you are simply ignoring the responses.
They had a strong kinship to Rome because
  • They were culturally Roman
  • Rome was where Paul had been writing from before his martyrdom. They already had established lines of communication with the Church in Rome.
  • They had a strong kinship and respect for Clement, who had been a close companion of Paul's.
There is nothing which suggests their going to Rome for advice had anything to do with Peter having been there. That is something that has been made up by Catholic apologists.

With regards to your last question, no one thought to call a council until after the persecution had ended, and then it was Emperor Constantine who called it and provided the means for it to occur.
this.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
IF the POPE allowed it under the Franks, the Nocks, the Lunes, the Moons, the toots or tats... the POPE allowed it and was given the keys to do so.

Jesus did NOT say, Peter those keys are only contingent upon a council and The Father In Heaven and Myself need a council too.
:sorry:
You know, I thought only the Protestants were the ones who made up History buy seeing your post made me change my mind.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,538.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
in its time, the breach of communion between the Patriarchates was understood as one of many scuffles which would have some sort of resolution.
here we are, almost 1000 years hence, and rather than healing as wound does, the scabs have been picked and irritated ever since; the body ecclesiastic too proud to allow the unsightly, but essential scar tissue to heal the rift.

Now, I never expect (though I may hope) for unity in my life, but I can't help but wonder what the state of the church will be on the millenium of this unfortunate divorce. 2054, any plans? It already seems too late to prepare anything, but a council in Rome or Constantinople would be nice, or maybe somewhere neutral...the moon maybe?
A conclave could be a way of doing it. Lock all the bishops in a room and don't let them out till they have reached a decision. Could be a long time though :sweatsmile:

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,538.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
found this interesting thread on the topic of what it may take for reunification in 2054

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I believe any valid reunion would have to be a miracle. For this to be though, how would we be able to know for sure? I believe the most any Christian can do is put their trust in Jesus Christ and live by the Gospel as best as possible.

The Holy Spirit, I believe, works among all Christians ( John 15:26-27, John 16:1-15 etc.). If we strive to keep the Lord’s commandments ( John 14:15-18), the Lord will send the Holy Spirit.

It is usually not possible for the non Orthodox Christians and non Christians to be Orthodox. I believe the Lord will come to those He knows better than we do ( John 3:19-21, John 14:18).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I believe any valid reunion would have to be a miracle.
yep, the stuff always in the news isn’t ever what will lead to actual unity. although, I personally do have hope for our non-Chalcedonian brothers.

Upvote 0