growth643

Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am a PK, and I am honored... There are some hard times and busy weeks and months, but I love it for what it is.
We lived in Belarus for 3 years while my father was a missionary and now have been pastoring a church in Florida for... 11 years? 10 years?

Anything specific you would like to know about?

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The only thing I regret about being one is that I was adopted and so didn't become one until I was a teenager. Yes, I did deal with stuff that other people didn't, and I did have stricter rules than my friends, but you know what? There are a lot of mistakes my friends have made that I didn't because of that. I had parents who believed in family dinners, who prayed with me a lot, who challenged me enough to help me develop a faith of my own, who took me to a lot of camps and revivals and gave me opportunities to work for the Lord. I don't regret becoming one for even one second.

Upvote 0

jeffwend

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
✟7,634.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I became a PK later in life. My dad always taught BSF to a group of over 200 men for many years and then one day the churches head pastor asked him to join the team. It is a very large church and they have adopted and revitalized 4 smaller failing churches in the area.

I like being a PK, but I imagine there would have been some more ups and downs if he was a pastor my whole life.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
✟7,697.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I love it.

As an aside, I'm trying to write a book about it actually.

I think it's interesting, though, how much we think we're different from everyone else. The more I've dug into this, the more I've realized that's not the case.

We have different circumstances for sure, but the fundamentals of who we are, what we want, and where we struggle are the same for most people. I think it just shows up differently on us, so we feel different.

Upvote 0

KoolKat

the crazy priest's kid from down the lane
Nov 28, 2006
my mind
✟21,858.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i like being a pk (i've been one all my life), but i think i would like it more if the church didn't make my family move 7 times...maybe if the church would've acted more hospitalble (like christians should), i would have liked being around people of the church more.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can't say I liked it. I can't say I hated it. I can say it served me well in my adulthood from the perspective of being comfortable being around all types of people and embracing tolerance.

I did not like the congregant's expectations that I should be some sort of a super-kid, any different than their own. I did not like all the eyes and judgment on everything I did or didn't do. I did not like the perception that my mother and I were also on the church's payroll as part of the package.

The people I liked best were the ones that just let me be a kid.

It seemed to me that nothing I did or didn't do was given credit as being of my own merit or lack of the same. It was always because I was the preacher's kid. Do a good deed, or live a Christian life? Well, of course, he had to do that he's the preacher's kid. Screw up? Well of course, you know how those preacher's kids are. What about me? Can I have my own strengths or human failing just because of the person that I am without regard to what my parent does for a living? Give ME some credit or even the blame.

I often said I became a Christian despite the fact that my father was a minister, not because of it. PKs can be exposed to the dark underbelly of the church, and see the most unchristian things done by persons claiming Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums