Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As with most GOP presidents, 146 million Americans have been able to enjoy a bit of relief the past 4 years of not having the fruits of their labor taken from them in as much as the previous administration. In my own personal case, it amounts to about $300/mo. Considering Biden promised to cancel the Trump tax cuts, and thus raise taxes on not just the wealthy, but the rest of us as well, are you making any financial changes or preparation in the losses that are to be expected from this incoming administration?

Rich New York State resident will be getting a federal tax cut not a tax hike when they are again allowed to deduct state taxes from their taxable income. The poor and middle class of NY state will have to help pay for that with the increased taxes.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to delve into this further when I'm off kid duty, but I must ask, how many people do you personally know that is on welfare assistance of some sort and has been for 2 years or more?
From what I've been able to tell, you should be paying little to nothing in taxes if you qualify for welfare. The most generous program is SNAP, which sets a limit of $2311/month gross for a family of three. That works out to $27,732 for the year. Married filing jointly, your standard deduction is $24,800, meaning that you'd have $2988 in taxable income, on which you'd owe $300 in income taxes. However, there's also a $2000 child tax credit, of which $1400 is refundable.

So someone making the maximum monthly income to qualify for SNAP with a family of three would actually owe zero taxes and would receive an additional $1400 on top of any tax refund from payroll deductions. At least in theory - I'm not a CPA or tax lawyer. If you have friends on welfare who are actually being crushed by taxes, then either they're not doing their taxes correctly or they're dealing with back taxes. Which is kind of their fault.

• Informative
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe not for every case, but I've got too many personal acquaintances/neighbors proving that's exactly how it is for many.
Are you saying you know people who are taxed so much their net income puts them below the poverty line? Or are you saying availing oneself of social programs locks one into a cycle of inescapable poverty? Either of these cases would require a much more detailed explanation than “I know someone who this is true for.”

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel like there's a lot of misconceptions about the "tax cuts"/"tax increases" conversation (regards to income tax) that stem from either

A) people not understanding the numbers, and just going off of what a pundit tells them
B) people telling anecdotes that are outright false (like the ones coming from people who try to make it sound like the republican tax plan just totally changed their life for the better, or claim that the democratic tax plan is somehow magically going to put them in the poor house, when you know they make $35k/year changing truck tires for a living)

First and foremost...here are the numbers:
upload_2021-1-20_18-35-15.png

I'm still waiting for a cogent explanation for how a person with an income of $40-50k (who complains about democrats wanting to raise the top tax rates)...somehow magically had their life transformed for the better by the republican tax plan, or how their world will be shattered if it goes back to the previous structure...

upload_2021-1-20_19-3-5.png

...and I'm definitely waiting to hear a good argument against the Biden tax plan from someone who's not even in the group that's going to be targeted by it.

As a general rule, I prefer lower taxes and less government spending, but when a person (who you know doesn't make nearly the amount that it would take to actually be impacted by it) is griping about it... it comes across looking silly. "How dare the democrats try to tax the hypothetical 400k/year that I don't make but hope to some day!"

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
We need to abandon this, "I got mine," attitude seen in so much of the GOP.
But that is literally how the American dream works. By making sure no one else has access to want you want.

Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Rich New York State resident will be getting a federal tax cut not a tax hike when they are again allowed to deduct state taxes from their taxable income. The poor and middle class of NY state will have to help pay for that with the increased taxes.

Wrong! Eliminating Trump's punitive SALT deduction cap will have no effect on anyone except those (like me) currently punished by the SALT deduction cap.

Trump enacted it solely to punish high tax (largely blue) states, not to help poor or middle class people anywhere. Middle class?!? I'm middle class! Trump hurt middle class homeowners with this change.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,930.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
As with most GOP presidents, 146 million Americans have been able to enjoy a bit of relief the past 4 years of not having the fruits of their labor taken from them in as much as the previous administration. In my own personal case, it amounts to about $300/mo. Considering Biden promised to cancel the Trump tax cuts, and thus raise taxes on not just the wealthy, but the rest of us as well, are you making any financial changes or preparation in the losses that are to be expected from this incoming administration?

Good. Maybe we can actually fund some of the massive ongoing expenses instead if burdening the next generations with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course not. trump increased (past tense) the US deficit by a huge amount, plunging not only us but future generations into extreme debt.

GOOD RIDDANCE!!
That is nothing compared to what the taxes are going to have to be to bail out the cities and states that have been poorly managed, provide free medical for all illegal aliens and everyone else, provide free college and all those other free things that help people get elected but have to be paid for by someone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to delve into this further when I'm off kid duty, but I must ask, how many people do you personally know that is on welfare assistance of some sort and has been for 2 years or more?

I was on welfare for 3 years, 2007 to 2010. Getting off of welfare is difficult because at a certain point, you lose benefits at a higher cost than the income to replace it. I once was to get a raise of say $500 a month. However, that put me in a new bracket and I would have lost my family's health care from the state. Since I worked for a small company, they had a pretty poor health insurance package which would have cost me $750 a month. Basically, I worked out that I couldnt get off welfare by ordinary raises, but had to make a leap of faith to a new job which paid significantly more. There was a lot of fear involved because once you go off welfare, it is very difficult to get back on it if things go south.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Anymore? I've fallen out of contact with probably the only one left as he had permanent injuries. Everyone else I know who used such programs it was temporary before they got new employment. None of the others remained on disability/unemployment/etc for more than a year.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was on welfare for 3 years, 2007 to 2010. Getting off of welfare is difficult because at a certain point, you lose benefits at a higher cost than the income to replace it. I once was to get a raise of say $500 a month. However, that put me in a new bracket and I would have lost my family's health care from the state. Since I worked for a small company, they had a pretty poor health insurance package which would have cost me $750 a month. Basically, I worked out that I couldnt get off welfare by ordinary raises, but had to make a leap of faith to a new job which paid significantly more. There was a lot of fear involved because once you go off welfare, it is very difficult to get back on it if things go south.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. It's that fear that keeps people from taking that leap. If I may pry a bit, what's your completed level of education (or was, at the time)?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe not for every case, but I've got too many personal acquaintances/neighbors proving that's exactly how it is for many.
I strongly doubt you have 146 million personal acquaintances, so the backtracking from your previous claim is noted.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Anymore? I've fallen out of contact with probably the only one left as he had permanent injuries. Everyone else I know who used such programs it was temporary before they got new employment. None of the others remained on disability/unemployment/etc for more than a year.

Our church has a program that has put me into relationship with several families (working, but severely underemployed) as well as a few neighbors who are receiving benefits. There is a common fear between them all that in the event they were to make more money via gainful employment, that they would lose said benefits. All but one example are unmarried, but with children. It's not that they are unable to work, but unwilling out of fear. That fear is created by the system that both supplies just enough to give a sense of satisfaction, but enough dependence to create that fear.

Private charity is better equipped, as it creates relationships and aims to get people out of poverty. Instead of the threat of loss if you improve, improvement is promoted via relationship building and setting realistic goals. Is it education the person lacks? That can be taken care of without taxing 146M Americans to do it.

Scripture tells us that charity should not be compulsory (2 Cor. 9:7), and thus I am convinced that it's charging the state to do the church's job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't believe I was. Hence my attempts to bring facts to the empty rhetoric.

Obviously I was referring to those whom I am acquainted with who receive welfare benefits; and not all tax payers.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The kinds of perverse incentives for not making too much that people have cited don't apply to the normal income tax. (I haven't looked t see how realistic those fears are, because it's not relevant to the topic of this thread.) Restoring the pre-Trump rates, particularly if it's only for upper income levels, will not have that kind of effect. The main reason for doing it is that we couldn't afford the cuts. They were justified as paying for themselves. But every Republican administration tries that, and it never works.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Our church has a program that has put me into relationship with several families (working, but severely underemployed) as well as a few neighbors who are receiving benefits. There is a common fear between them all that in the event they were to make more money via gainful employment, that they would lose said benefits. All but one example are unmarried, but with children. It's not that they are unable to work, but unwilling out of fear. That fear is created by the system that both supplies just enough to give a sense of satisfaction, but enough dependence to create that fear.

Private charity is better equipped, as it creates relationships and aims to get people out of poverty. Instead of the threat of loss if you improve, improvement is promoted via relationship building and setting realistic goals. Is it education the person lacks? That can be taken care of without taxing 146M Americans to do it.

Scripture tells us that charity should not be compulsory (2 Cor. 9:7), and thus I am convinced that it's charging the state to do the church's job.
This is something that can be solved through education if we would stop gutting it.

Upvote 0