Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that in the Orthodox Churches they refer to the feast of the resurrection, which we call Easter, as Pascha, meaning Passover, and that is the more ancient usage? In fact, the Greeks and others eat lamb ceremonially on Pascha Sunday.

Also, Pentecost is a Jewish holiday which the Christian Church still celebrates. Indeed Eastern Orthodox churches and Jewish synagogues are decorated with massive amounts of greenery on that feast.

Oh, there's nothing ceremonial about eating lamb! We're breaking a roughly 50 day fast from being vegetarian.
upload_2021-8-5_12-26-58.jpeg

FYI, Orthodox still celebrate the Maccabees youths as martyrs on August 1.

Kontakion of 7 Maccabean Youths, Solomone and Eleazar
Second Tone
The Wisdom of God's own seven pillars are ye all, a seven-branched lamp that shineth with the Light Divine, ye Great Martyrs that were before the Martyrs, O all-wise Maccabees, with them pray ye the God of all that we who now sing your praises may be saved.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know you may not recognize it, but there are elements and formula to be considered sacraments.

In whose eyes?

I guess what you're missing is that, if you profess to be a member of any club, you have to go by that club's rules, otherwise, you're not really a member.

No, I'm well aware of that and any church, charity or organisation that has members who had agreed to abide by the rules/teachings but don't, could ask them to leave.

What I'm asking is; what does God think about all this?
If believers attend a church service in which the bread and wine are given by an ordained member of the clergy, that is said to be "valid". If they sit in someone's home, read the accounts of the Lord's Supper, John 6 or some other passage, pass round bread and wine and believe that Jesus is present by his Spirit, the church would say that that was not communion, or "invalid". If a person goes to Mass in a Catholic church, from what I've read on these forums some would say that that person was receiving "valid" sacraments. And those in the church down the road who were receiving communion in a non Catholic church, were not.
What does God say?
Does he refuse to send his Spirit to believers because he requires that an ordained person be present before he can bless them? Or that believers HAVE to accept Catholic doctrine before they can share in a "valid" celebration of Lord's Supper?

Regarding baptism; I was christened as a child and later baptised as an adult. It wasn't that I believed my childhood baptism had been "invalid", it was just that I didn't remember it and wanted folk to know that I was choosing to be baptised. Some evangelicals might say that only my adult baptism was "valid"; others would say that it was "invalid" because I had already been baptised as a baby.
What does/did God say?
When I stood before the church to give my testimony and say I was requesting adult baptism, was that unnecessary or a "wasted" witness? Was the peace and happiness that I felt at my baptism, real?

Does God refuse to save, bless, fill with his Spirit etc if the sacrament is "invalid"?
And if the answer to that is '"no", if believers sitting in a home group and sharing bread and wine can feel just as close to Jesus and just as blessed by him/filled with his Spirit as those sitting 'in church' with all the formal liturgy and rites; is the latter that important?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In whose eyes?

No, I'm well aware of that and any church, charity or organisation that has members who had agreed to abide by the rules/teachings but don't, could ask them to leave.

If believers attend a church service in which the bread and wine are given by an ordained member of the clergy, that is said to be "valid". If they sit in someone's home, read the accounts of the Lord's Supper, John 6 or some other passage, pass round bread and wine and believe that Jesus is present by his Spirit, the church would say that that was not communion, or "invalid". If a person goes to Mass in a Catholic church, from what I've read on these forums some would say that that person was receiving "valid" sacraments. And those in the church down the road who were receiving communion in a non Catholic church, were not.
What does God say?
Does he refuse to send his Spirit to believers because he requires that an ordained person be present before he can bless them? Or that believers HAVE to accept Catholic doctrine before they can share in a "valid" celebration of Lord's Supper?

Regarding baptism; I was christened as a child and later baptised as an adult. It wasn't that I believed my childhood baptism had been "invalid", it was just that I didn't remember it and wanted folk to know that I was choosing to be baptised. Some evangelicals might say that only my adult baptism was "valid"; others would say that it was "invalid" because I had already been baptised as a baby.
What does/did God say?
When I stood before the church to give my testimony and say I was requesting adult baptism, was that unnecessary or a "wasted" witness? Was the peace and happiness that I felt at my baptism, real?

Does God refuse to save, bless, fill with his Spirit etc if the sacrament is "invalid"?
And if the answer to that is '"no", if believers sitting in a home group and sharing bread and wine can feel just as close to Jesus and just as blessed by him/filled with his Spirit as those sitting 'in church' with all the formal liturgy and rites; is the latter that important?

No, those sitting 'in church' with all the formal liturgy and rites are no more important than those believers sitting in a home group and sharing bread and wine. The sharing of bread and wine was instituted by Jesus at a Passover dinner, not in a synagogue (there were no churches).

Luke 22:14-20, "When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”

After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."

There is no formal communion ritual as practiced in today's churches anywhere in Scripture. If you stretch the point, remember that 1 Corinthians 11 describes a meal, not a thimble of wine and a cracker.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no formal communion ritual as practiced in today's churches anywhere in Scripture. If you stretch the point, remember that 1 Corinthians 11 describes a meal, not a thimble of wine and a cracker.

That's what I believe too.
But I am still sure that any clergy who heard of believers sharing bread and wine without a Minister present would say that that was not communion.

I go to a Methodist/UR Church.
During lockdown, we have been having services on "Zoom", together with other UR churches in the area. In the URC, a Minister is allowed to hold a communion service on line; in the Methodist church, they aren't. When there's been an online communion service, our Minister has said, "this is not a Methodist practice so, if you are Methodist, you may wish not to take part in this". Of course, I have done so, because this is the Lord's supper and I don't believe that anyone other than God should say who can take part in it.
My Methodist Minister has been part of a service where the bread and wine are taken in a way that he does not recognise, (or at least, whatever he thinks, he has to abide by church rules.)

This is behind my question of "to whom/in whose eyes are the sacraments valid?"
Personally I found that online service to be very moving. I considered it to be communion just as much as if I had received the bread and wine in a Methodist church. And I am pretty sure that God felt the same - we, his children, saved by his Son - were eating and drinking in memory of Jesus, just as he asked us to. I don't believe he withheld his blessing just because the way in which we received the elements was not considered "valid" by the Methodist church.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In whose eyes?
Jesus's. The sacraments are all demonstrated or commanded in Sacred Scripture.

That's a question of Jesus' commands, too. Did Jesus leave us a rule of faith? And Did Jesus give teaching authority to his apostles? The answer is yes. Jesus told His apostles "Go out into all the world and teach", "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven, whose sins you retain are retained." The teaching authority of the Church and the apostles is the rule of faith Christ commanded. Christ conveyed this in his ORAL teaching to the apostles, and they to their successors. Paul talks about the tradition I received from the Lord I hand on to you.
What does God say?
I don't believe that God refuses anyone who asks. But you also notice that Jesus doesn't give a special formula to anyone. When the rich young man asked "What must I do to be saved?" Jesus tells him, effectively, "You already know what to do." But the young man wants a formula, Jesus tells him to sell all he has and follow Him.
Catholics believe you only can receive communion if you're adherent to the teaching of the Catholic Church, because when you are presented with the sacred Host, you say AMEN when you receive it. I believe that non-Catholic (nor many Catholics, honestly) do not validly receive the Eucharist, but it's not for me to judge. So I don't.
What does/did God say?
Well, that is a personal choice. But regarding infant baptism, do we let the baby choose what he should eat or drink, or when to sleep or what to wear? No, we make decisions for the child. Also, we believe that Baptism is saving, so when we do it, we are removing the stain of original sin from the child. Confirmation is how we affirm to the Church that we are moving forward into our faith. I was baptized as an infant in an Evangelical Church, but the records were destroyed, so when I became Catholic, I was conditionally baptized (just in case...).
I don't know if it was unnecessary or wasted. And I'm sure your peace and happiness were real, just as mine were being conditionally baptized, then confirmed, then given first Eucharist, and married all in a matter of two days.
The grace is there, but the effectiveness is what is in question. If one receives a sacrament in a state of mortal sin, the grace won't work in the person. Once that sin is rejected and confessed, the grace is there for you.
It is a basic precept of the Catholic Church that Catholics who are able must attend Mass on Sunday. Or it is a sin. During the pandemic, millions of Catholics watched Mass on television. I believe it was about as effective as Zoom learning. Personally, my rituals to attend Mass start Saturday evening. Sunday morning when I wake, there's no music, idle chit chat, etc. I read the Sacred Scriptures for the day, eat a small meal, and think of what God is saying to me in those readings. Quiet in the car going to Mass.
That is not to say that whatever your tradition of worship is isn't effective. Is it 'just as effective'? Only God knows.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, those sitting 'in church' with all the formal liturgy and rites are no more important than those believers sitting in a home group and sharing bread and wine. The sharing of bread and wine was instituted by Jesus at a Passover dinner, not in a synagogue (there were no churches).

Luke 22:14-20, "When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”

After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."

It is not true that 1 Corinthians 11 describes a meal. It says they were eating a meal, and carrying on like it was not the Lord's Supper. Then it goes on to talk about the bread and wine and eating and drinking it in an unworthy manner. And yeah, we don't use thimbles. Or crackers.
It's funny also that you mention the Passover meal at the Last Supper. I notice there's no mention of lamb at that Passover meal. And I believe that's because Jesus was the sacrificial lamb, which had to be consumed completely for the Passover anamnesis to be considered valid. That was God's instructions to the Hebrews.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's what I believe too.
But I am still sure that any clergy who heard of believers sharing bread and wine without a Minister present would say that that was not communion.
Yeah, I'd believe it was a meal, just saying.
I go to a Methodist/UR Church.
During lockdown, we have been having services on "Zoom", together with other UR churches in the area. In the URC, a Minister is allowed to hold a communion service on line; in the Methodist church, they aren't. When there's been an online communion service, our Minister has said, "this is not a Methodist practice so, if you are Methodist, you may wish not to take part in this". Of course, I have done so, because this is the Lord's supper and I don't believe that anyone other than God should say who can take part in it.
This is why the Catholic Church has rubrics and instructions how the sacraments are to be executed.
My Methodist Minister has been part of a service where the bread and wine are taken in a way that he does not recognise, (or at least, whatever he thinks, he has to abide by church rules.)

This is behind my question of "to whom/in whose eyes are the sacraments valid?"
Personally I found that online service to be very moving. I considered it to be communion just as much as if I had received the bread and wine in a Methodist church. And I am pretty sure that God felt the same - we, his children, saved by his Son - were eating and drinking in memory of Jesus, just as he asked us to. I don't believe he withheld his blessing just because the way in which we received the elements was not considered "valid" by the Methodist church.
We also believe that those who examine their consciences and find themselves unable to validly receive the Eucharist, or those who are physically unable, can observe in spiritual communion.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is why the Catholic Church has rubrics and instructions how the sacraments are to be executed.

I wasn't talking about the Catholic church.
I asked, "if someone decrees that a sacrament is "invalid", what does God say about that and does it affect how he might speak to/encourage/bless us through it; or not?"
Is God prevented from acting because men decide that his sacraments may be "invalid"?
I believe not.

We also believe that those who examine their consciences and find themselves unable to validly receive the Eucharist, or those who are physically unable, can observe in spiritual communion.

Really?
All this insistence that Christ's body and blood are exactly that, and you don't even think that these elements are needed for communion?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That was my entire question; if people say that sacraments are "invalid", what does God think about that?
If they are valid in his eyes; what's the problem?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I asked, "if someone decrees that a sacrament is "invalid", what does God say about that and does it affect how he might speak to/encourage/bless us through it; or not?"
Is God prevented from acting because men decide that his sacraments may be "invalid"?
I believe not.
You have a point. But you are thinking of certain examples. For instance, there's a baptismal ceremony that is perfectly normal but some other church says your ministers don't count. I can sympathize with your thinking if that's the example.

But what if Communion were celebrated using pizza and Coca-cola with a nice tossed salad? Of course, plenty of fellowship would be experienced also.

And that's not just a hypothetical example. So does God approve of every unusual ritual that someone thinks is good enough and bears hardly any resemblance to the Scriptural examples? We'd probably have to say "no," wouldn't we?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You have a point. But you are thinking of certain examples. For instance, there's a baptismal ceremony that is perfectly normal but some other church says your ministers don't count. I can sympathize with your thinking if that's the example.

But what if Communion were celebrated using pizza and Coca-cola with a nice tossed salad? Of course, plenty of fellowship would be experienced also.

And that's not just a hypothetical example. So does God approve of every unusual ritual that someone thinks is good enough and bears hardly any resemblance to the Scriptural examples? We'd probably have to say "no," wouldn't we?

This is a great example of reductio ad absurdem. Nobody has ever said that Communion should be celebrated using pizza and Coca-cola with a nice tossed salad. Also, nobody ever said that Communion should be a cracker and a thimble of wine (or grape juice). Both are unscriptural. Scripturally, "communion" should be a meal shared with others.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wasn't talking about the Catholic church.
well, who else decrees whether sacraments are valid?
I believe not.
God can save whoever he wants to.
Really?
All this insistence that Christ's body and blood are exactly that, and you don't even think that these elements are needed for communion?
I believe they are. I don't insist that you agree. But I was talking about Catholics in that situation. But it isn't the same.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That was my entire question; if people say that sacraments are "invalid", what does God think about that?
If they are valid in his eyes; what's the problem?
The sacraments are valid because He instituted them.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is a great example of reductio ad absurdem. Nobody has ever said that Communion should be celebrated using pizza and Coca-cola with a nice tossed salad.
Sorry, no. I said that it wasn't hypothetical, and I was thinking of an actual ceremony in some church that used a soft drink and spice cake.

And I've been to a few worship services that were verrrry unconventional in other ways. Those are rare events, it's true, but it's also fair to ask if there isn't some point at which an "unconventional" Communion service or Baptism would become more than just unconventional and actually be invalid in God's eyes. I think there must be.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry, no. I said that it wasn't hypothetical, and I was thinking of an actual ceremony in some church that used a soft drink and spice cake.

And I've been to a few worship services that were verrrry unconventional in other ways. Those are rare events, it's true, but it's also fair to ask if there isn't some point at which an "unconventional" Communion service or Baptism would become more than just unconventional and actually be invalid in God's eyes. I think there must be.
I knew of one parish who had a secret recipe for communion wafers. Included sugar and egg. And I've heard of baptism of one cardinal in the name of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This is a great example of reductio ad absurdem. Nobody has ever said that Communion should be celebrated using pizza and Coca-cola with a nice tossed salad. Also, nobody ever said that Communion should be a cracker and a thimble of wine (or grape juice). Both are unscriptural. Scripturally, "communion" should be a meal shared with others.

Actually you are in error on that point, to a degree. Since the early church there have been instances of people attempting the sacraments with invalid matter, contrary to the example of our Lord. One ancient group was catalogued as heretical by Epiphanius of Salamis for celebrating the eucharist with bread and water, something the Mormons do at present. Additionally, there were other groups who incorporated fish or milk and honey into the ritual, and we find in the canons of the ancient ecumenical councils canons specifically prohibiting this conduct.

And in more recent years, in 1990, I think, there was an infamous “Reimagining” conference of liberal Protestants who among other things celebrated a bizarre sort of “feminist eucharist” with, once again, milk and honey.

So its not really a reductio ad absurdum if the thing being talked about has actually happened, which indeed, as Albion stated, and I strongly believe him, actually did occur? And why, if one is to discard all formal rules of the liturgy in the name of Pietistic accomodation, should one not attempt communion with pizza and soda? Or be, and this is reductio ad absurdum on my part, pure hyperbole I hope, but I would not be surprised if some random person tried this, be baptized in beer?

Well, there is a very good scriptural answer which provides the basis for liturgical authority and following the patterns of worship we see in the New Testament as interpreted by the early Church, and that is the Pauline imperative that everything in the church be done decently and in order. We see the establishment of episkopoi, presbyters and deacons to conduct the affairs of the church. From the very New Testament on, we see a fairly formal pattern based on reverence.

It is my belief that sacramental validity is a thing, because among other things, in my youth, I naively attempted to consecrate the Eucharist without success, and I have experienced true sacramental grace and also the celebration of liturgies where that grace was absent.

The question is not from whence this grace comes, because we know it to be from God, in a process involving the entire economy of salvation - the will of the Father, the ordinance and passion of the Son, and the action in the present of the Holy Spirit to facilitate anamnesis, a word we rather poorly translate as remembrance when the actual meaning is more akin to recapitulation, because in the sacrament of Baptism we are with Jesus in the Jordan, and in the sacrament of Holy Communion we are present at the Last Supper, in communion with our Lord, his disciples and all the faithful.

I like the Orthodox term mystery to describe the sacraments, and I to some extent wished that @HTacianas had used that term in the OP, but I can understand why for reasons of ease of comprehension he did not.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Could you get me more information on the blasphemous pizza and coke liturgy and where it happened?

I am trying to compile a list of the most defective liberal parishes in the US or the English speaking world, which presently is topped by herchurch (Ebeneezer Lutheran Church, ELCA), the Cathedral of Hope in Dallas, formerly a part or the homosexual denomination known as the Metropolitan Community Church , but now part of the UCC, and St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church in San Francisco. But whoever did the liturgy with pizza and coke definitely belongs on that list.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I knew of one parish who had a secret recipe for communion wafers. Included sugar and egg. And I've heard of baptism of one cardinal in the name of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Wait a second, are you saying a Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church baptized someone in the name of Jesus, Mary and Joseph? Wouldn’t that automatically defrock and excommunicate him under the canon law? Because while I have serious gripes about liturgical abuses in the RCC, I have never heard of anything that shocking. I mean, that’s literally baptizing someone in the name of God and two humans, instead of in the names of the three divine persons of the Trinity. It is objectively worse than Creator/Redeemer/Sustainer, as bad as that is. As you know I am not anti-Catholic; I loved Pope Benedict XVI and were he still in power or replaced by someone like him I probably would have converted.

Upvote 0