-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lots and lots of people profess to believe the bible and claim to have a belief in its words.

I think there are a lot of people that have not read it all the way thru and who read other books, watch tv, watch movies, play video games and do NOT actually read the bible ? Is this accurate ? How can we all do better ?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lots and lots of people profess to believe the bible and claim to have a belief in its words.

I think there are a lot of people that have not read it all the way thru and who read other books, watch tv, watch movies, play video games and do NOT actually read the bible ? Is this accurate ? How can we all do better ?
I am sure I could do better, but I have read the Bible all the way through in several translations. For a few years I would take a 1-year plan through the Bible, which was helpful. There are daily reading apps which will give you daily Scripture readings, which is what I am using now. I am trying to get into a daily habit of it, along with my morning prayer.

I have heard it said that the Bible is the “most sold and the least read of all books” (EDIT: at least one source of that comment is here), and while I think that might be an exaggeration, I have no doubt that most of us could do with more regular reading of the Holy Scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you. So much of what people believe is simply caught through the waves. People don't actually deliberate through why they believe what they believe and this is to their downfall.

Upvote 0

MMDave3

Apr 9, 2018
Western New York State
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I've read it twice, the KJV and NRSV translations. I'll read it again, I'm sure. I had read the KJV first, and I'm very glad I read the NRSV because it really opened up a lot for me and helped to clarify a lot as well. The KJV is beautiful and poetic but it's a challenging read, and I ultimately wound up preferring the NRSV.

Really I think to "do better" you first have to buckle down and read it from cover to cover. This is difficult for a lot of people due to the length - it's significantly longer than a really long novel like Tolstoy's "War and Peace", for example. But in my opinion, it's worth it. My advice to people is buy a contemporary translation. If a person is struggling, the KJV might not be the best translation to read on the first go. As you read it, certain parts will stand out to you, and other parts might be confusing. Write down those parts, and after you've finished, return to them and study them. That's what I did and am doing and will be doing the rest of my life, mostly likely.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
True. Many people have not read the Bible but have read other books. Reading the Bible is a great thing. As beneficial as it can be, knowledge of the Bible by itself though won't keep someone in faith.

I know someone who believes that St. Paul was basically a heretic. I'm sure that this person has read the Bible many times over, probably in more than one translation.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with you. So much of what people believe is simply caught through the waves. People don't actually deliberate through why they believe what they believe and this is to their downfall.
Well, something we can actually agree on. How about that! :cool:

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have read it cover to cover several times, and I believe every word of it, even genuine leather.

I agree, the more word you read, the more word that comes out of you.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, I'd say it's fairly accurate for a large number of people, even those who have made a profession of faith in Christ. But, as to their willingness to do better, that will depend on who they are and what God is leading them to do. For the most part, I'm under the impression that it isn't just how much of the Bible one has read, but how well one does in actually understanding it and in also doing what the Lord has told us all to do.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Once you develop a habit of reading alot at once, often, deeply, it becomes easier to compare Scripture with Scripture imo you can get this if you read it through each quarter.... and of course study stuff here y'all post and also from TBN preachers (checkin' em out, keepin' them straight in my mind)...

Push through the genealogies and wars stories etc.... and over and over they begin to give you those AH HA! moments... they all connect, they are all there for good reasons for our enlightenment.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I had a KJV and a LIVING BIBLE when I got saved at 19. Living Bible is just a paraphrase - but it had in the front a chart where you could X off every chapter in every book. Whether I read from KJV or Living Bible - I crossed off the chapters in the Living Bible until I had read every chapter in the Bible. I did that in no particular order.

Today I don't read the Bible 'in any particular order'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I suspect there are quite a few who haven't.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that if one considers the Bible in overview, it can help in reading and understandings. That is to say: we can divide the study as to Bible General; Redemption Way; Church Truth; Spiritual Life, which is the basis of Christianity, I have found.

Some readers just read straight through and fail to see the distinction between the OT and NT. The Old Testament ---beyond Creation, History of mankind with God's rule, and God's dealings with His covenant people of Israel, is essentially showing typology and fore-telling of that truth of redemption, which would come when God sent His "...beloved Son" to be the real sacrifice, and teacher of God for making saints of God in Christ as God's children.

God will have an earthly people in restored Israel after the Millennium time, and a heavenly people in the Church --"bride" of Christ. These are precious truths to see in God's Word. Let us keep reading our Bibles!

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a KJV and a LIVING BIBLE when I got saved at 19. Living Bible is just a paraphrase - but it had in the front a chart where you could X off every chapter in every book. Whether I read from KJV or Living Bible - I crossed off the chapters in the Living Bible until I had read every chapter in the Bible. I did that in no particular order.

Today I don't read the Bible 'in any particular order'.

The "Bible" as it currently is , is not as it was. It has been translated several times, many different versions of the bible, in my opinion it is important to choose the one that has the closest intent of the original. Also the books of the bible were NOT put together until, I later, and most likely not in the current order they are in.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My son is now Greek Orthodox -- I got THE ORTHODOX STUDY BIBLE -- some of the prophetic books are not in the same order as Protestant or Catholic Bibles, and the Psalms in Orthodox Study Bible have different numberings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm doing a bible reading plan that lets you read the whole bible in 3 months.

Wow! I would be very interested in that.

To the OP
I have read the Bible through a couple of times and this year started again. As well as that I also read a daily devotional that takes you through the gospels in a year.
I also like to read at least one Psalm before sleep.
I could always do better.

I remember two instances many years ago when I asked my then minister about something from Revelation and he said he never read it. It was "too complicated" and then one evening at a meeting about evangelism there was a bishop presiding and he told me he had never read the whole Bible! I was flabbergasted and left that denomination shortly after.:sigh:

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can we all do better ?

Some people like 'spelling bees', well an alternative to that is biblical verses memorised.
Start with your young people and extent the challenge to the rest of the church.
or
at church social have an obscure bible quiz, start with basic biblical questions and get harder and harder.

Start a biblical reading group, where you agree to read durring a month a set biblical book, a meeting and tea can be arranged to discuss the book afterwards.

Set a church bible reading plan, every service read thress old testiment and one new testiment chapters so the church will hear the bible being read through in a year.

Upvote 0

Spiritualized

God Loves YOU
Oct 15, 2010
Wales, UK
✟8,562.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I would agree with you also. I have also thought this from time to time. It often shocks me how many people who are regular church goers (and have been all of their lives) and haven't actually read the whole book. I'm still what I consider a "new Christian" having came to Christ in 2014. During my first 12 months of believing, I tried to read the Bible through a few different Bible in 1 year reading plans, but I couldn't get on with them. I felt they jumped too much from one book to the next and my brain couldn't follow it. I then gave up and just opened page 1 of Genesis and just started reading page by page. Some days it may have been as small as 5-10 minutes reading. But I am pleased to say after 3 years I had actually read the entire book (in NIV translation).

I don't think it's something you ever truly finish reading. What I have done since is re-visit certain books of the Bible as a standalone to study in more detail. I think I would like to read the KJV next. Much of the Bible confuses me and I find it hard to follow, especially the jump from the OT to the NT, feels like I'm reading about a totally different God! But nevertheless, I always enjoy reading it, combine it with prayer and ask God to help me along the way.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would agree with you also. I have also thought this from time to time. It often shocks me how many people who are regular church goers (and have been all of their lives) and haven't actually read the whole book. I'm still what I consider a "new Christian" having came to Christ in 2014. During my first 12 months of believing, I tried to read the Bible through a few different Bible in 1 year reading plans, but I couldn't get on with them. I felt they jumped too much from one book to the next and my brain couldn't follow it. I then gave up and just opened page 1 of Genesis and just started reading page by page. Some days it may have been as small as 5-10 minutes reading. But I am pleased to say after 3 years I had actually read the entire book (in NIV translation).

I don't think it's something you ever truly finish reading. What I have done since is re-visit certain books of the Bible as a standalone to study in more detail. I think I would like to read the KJV next. Much of the Bible confuses me and I find it hard to follow, especially the jump from the OT to the NT, feels like I'm reading about a totally different God! But nevertheless, I always enjoy reading it, combine it with prayer and ask God to help me along the way.

from my perspective The old testament basically testifies that Christ will be born and will be the Savior of mankind. The new testament is about his life the church he established and his ministry, they are a bit different but a bit similar. Pray for help to understand as you read.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow! I would be very interested in that.

To the OP
I have read the Bible through a couple of times and this year started again. As well as that I also read a daily devotional that takes you through the gospels in a year.
I also like to read at least one Psalm before sleep.
I could always do better.

I remember two instances many years ago when I asked my then minister about something from Revelation and he said he never read it. It was "too complicated" and then one evening at a meeting about evangelism there was a bishop presiding and he told me he had never read the whole Bible! I was flabbergasted and left that denomination shortly after.:sigh:
Regular, systematic reading of a balance of Old and New Testaments is really excellent!

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0