✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Origin of synagogue
1125–75; Middle English synagoge < Late Latin synagōga < Greek synagōgḗ assembly, meeting, equivalent to syn- syn- + agōgḗ, noun use of feminine of agōgós (adj.) gathering, derivative of ágein to bring, lead; akin to Latin agere to drive

Definition of synagogue | Dictionary.com

Origin of ecclesia
1570–80; < Latin < Greek ekklēsía assembly, equivalent to ékklēt(os) summoned (ek- ec- + klē-, variant of kal-, stem of kaleîn to call, + -tos past participle suffix) + -ia -ia

Definition of ecclesia | Dictionary.com

(CLV) Ac 13:42
Now, at their being out, they entreated that these declarations be spoken to them on the intervening sabbath.

(CLV) Ac 13:43
Now the synagogue having broken up, many of the Jews and the reverent proselytes follow Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to remain in the grace of God.

proselyte noun

pros·e·lyte | \ ˈprä-sə-ˌlīt
Definition of proselyte

: a new convert (as to a faith or cause)

Definition of PROSELYTE

Converts. They would be the Ger Tzedek

Could it include anyone else?

The biblical term "proselyte" is an anglicization of the Koine Greek term προσήλυτος (proselytos), as used in the Septuagint (Greek Old Testament) for "stranger", i.e. a "newcomer to Israel";[1] a "sojourner in the land",[2] and in the Greek New Testament[3] for a first-century convert to Judaism, generally from Ancient Greek religion. It is a translation of the Biblical Hebrew phrase גר תושב (ger toshav).[3]

Proselyte - Wikipedia

Ahh! The Ger Toshav, the sojourner in the land.

James gave this mandate to the Ger Toshav, not from anything in scripture that we have Yahshua repeating; it comes straight from the Torah:

(CLV) Ac 15:20
but to write an epistle to them to be abstaining from ceremonial pollution with idols, and prostitution, and what is strangled, and blood.

Leviticus 17
7 No longer shall they sacrifice their sacrifices to hairy goat-demons after whom they have been prostituting. An eonian statute shall this become for them throughout their generations. 8 To them you shall say:Any man from the house of Israel or from the sojourners who sojourn in your midst who should offer an ascent offering or a sacrifice 9 and not bring it to the opening of the tent of appointment to offer it to Yahweh, that man will be cut off from his kinsmen. 10 As for any man from the house of Israel and from the sojourners sojourning in your midst who should eat any blood, I will set My face against the soul eating blood, and I will cut him off from among his people, 11 for the soul of the flesh, it is in the blood, and I Myself have assigned it to you to make a propitiatory shelter over your souls on the altar; for the blood, in the soul it makes a propitiatory shelter. 12 Therefore I say to the sons of Israel:No soul at all of you shall eat blood; nor shall the sojourner sojourning in your midst eat blood. 13 Any man from the sons of Israel and from the sojourners sojourning in your midst who hunt a game animal or a flyer which may be eaten will pour out its blood and cover it with soil, 14 for the soul of all flesh is its blood; as its soul is it. So I said to the sons of Israel:The blood of any flesh you shall not eat, for the soul of all flesh, it is its blood. Everyone eating it shall be cut off.

James qualified this mandate to the Ger Toshav that they were listening to the Torah every Sabbath in the Synagogues.

(CLV) Ac 15:21
For Moses, from ancient generations, city by city, has those who are heralding him, being read on every sabbath in the synagogues."

(CLV) Ac 18:4
Now he argued in the synagogue on every sabbath and persuaded both Jews and Greeks

Last edited:

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I noticed that not in anything you have written was it a church.

Yes, here is the etymology for church:

church (n.)
Old English cirice, circe "place of assemblage set aside for Christian worship; the body of Christian believers, Christians collectively; ecclesiastical authority or power," from Proto-Germanic *kirika (source also of Old Saxon kirika, Old Norse kirkja, Old Frisian zerke, Middle Dutch kerke, Dutch kerk, Old High German kirihha, German Kirche).

church | Origin and meaning of church by Online Etymology Dictionary

Right, OK....So how does this trace back to the assembly of Yahudim? Let's dig a little deeper.

Circe
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Circe (/ˈsɜːrsiː/; Greek: Κίρκη Kírkē pronounced [kírkɛː]) is a enchantress or sorceress in Greek mythology.[1] She is a daughter of the god Helios and either the Oceanid nymph Perse or the goddess Hecate. Circe was renowned for her vast knowledge of potions and herbs; one of her Homeric epithets is polypharmakos ("knowing many drugs or charms").[2] Through the use of these and a magic wand or staff, she would transform her enemies, or those who offended her, into animals.

Circe - Wikipedia

Got it! Syncretism!

(CLV) Ex 23:13
You shall beware in all that I say to you. And the name of other elohim you shall not mention; let it not be heard coming out of your mouth.

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(CLV) Ac 18:4
Now he argued in the synagogue on every sabbath and persuaded both Jews and Greeks
The ubiquitous out-of-context proof text.
When this verse is quoted without context it may seem to imply that uncircumcised gentile Christians were attending synagogues with Jews. So let us review the context.

Acts of the apostles 18:4-6
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.
6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.
The Jews in that synagogue opposed Paul, a Jew, and blasphemed him so he went instead to the gentiles.
If the Jews were opposed to Paul, a Jew, and blasphemed him does anyone honestly think they are going to allow uncircumcised gentile Christians who believed what Paul taught meet with them in the synagogue?

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right, OK....So how does this trace back to the assembly of Yahudim? Let's dig a little deeper.
Circe
Circe (/ˈsɜːrsiː/; Greek: Κίρκη Kírkē pronounced [kírkɛː]) is a enchantress or sorceress in Greek mythology.[1] She is a daughter of the god Helios and either the Oceanid nymph Perse or the goddess Hecate. Circe was renowned for her vast knowledge of potions and herbs; one of her Homeric epithets is polypharmakos ("knowing many drugs or charms").[2] Through the use of these and a magic wand or staff, she would transform her enemies, or those who offended her, into animals
Rubbish! Has nothing to do with the word "church."

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The ubiquitous out-of-context proof text.
When this verse is quoted without context it may seem to imply that uncircumcised gentile Christians were attending synagogues with Jews. So let us review the context.
Acts of the apostles 18:4-6
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
5 And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.
6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

Keep reading...

(CLV) Ac 18:7
And, -proceeding thence, he entered io the house of a certain one named Titus Justus, who is revering God, whose house was adjacent to the synagogue.

(CLV) Ac 18:8
Now Crispus, the chief of the synagogue, believes the Lord, together with his whole household. And many of the Corinthians, hearing, believed and were baptized.

Now neither the Greek word ecclesia, nor the Hebrew word synagogue appear in the TaNaK; The word synagogues originated during the Babylonian captivity. So what word was used for assembly in the TaNaK?

The assembly
הַקָּהָ֕ל (haq·qā·hāl)
Article | Noun - masculine singular
Strong's Hebrew 6951: Assembly, convocation, congregation

(CLV) Num 15:15
As for the assembly, there shall be one statute for you and for the sojourner sojourning with you. It shall be an eonian statute (FOREVER) throughout your generations. Like you so shall the sojourner be before Yahweh.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Rubbish! Has nothing to do with the word "church."

Facts are facts.

Now I need to get back to cutting down May poles.

(CLV) Ex 34:13
For their altars shall you break down, and their monuments shall you break, and their Asherah poles shall you cut down.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Keep reading...
And, -proceeding thence, he entered io the house of a certain one named Titus Justus, who is revering God, whose house was adjacent to the synagogue.
Now Crispus, the chief of the synagogue, believes the Lord, together with his whole household. And many of the Corinthians, hearing, believed and were baptized.
Now neither the Greek word ecclesia, nor the Hebrew word synagogue appear in the TaNaK; The word synagogues originated during the Babylonian captivity. So what word was used for assembly in the TaNaK?
The assembly
הַקָּהָ֕ל (haq·qā·hāl)
Article | Noun - masculine singular
Strong's Hebrew 6951: Assembly, convocation, congregation
(CLV) Num 15:15
As for the assembly, there shall be one statute for you and for the sojourner sojourning with you. It shall be an eonian statute (FOREVER) throughout your generations. Like you so shall the sojourner be before Yahweh.
What is your point? Crispus became a Christians so he would of course allow Christians to attend his synagogue. "Corinthians" does not necessarily mean gentile. Anyone residing in Corinth, including Jews, would be a Corinthian.
What is the point of Num 15:15? I'm a Christian living in the US of A not a sojourner among Israel.
You are making my argument that "olam" is defined as "eternal" in this verse. The generations of Israel will never cease ergo "olam" means "eternal."

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Facts are facts.
Now I need to get back to cutting down May poles.
(CLV) Ex 34:13
For their altars shall you break down, and their monuments shall you break, and their Asherah poles shall you cut down
You have not presented any facts. Only UR assumptions/presuppositions. This verse has nothing to do with anything I posted.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What is your point? Crispus became a Christians so he would of course allow Christians to attend his synagogue. "Corinthians" does not necessarily mean gentile. Anyone residing in Corinth, including Jews, would be a Corinthian.

I bolded the really juicy part: the chief of the synagogue

I guess you missed it.

What is the point of Num 15:15? I'm a Christian living in the US of A not a sojourner among Israel.

(CLV) Hb 8:10
"For this is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with the house of Israel after those days," the Lord is saying: "Imparting My laws to their comprehension, On their hearts, also, shall I be inscribing them, And I shall be to them for a God, And they shall be to Me for a people.

(CLV) Mt 15:24
Now He, [Yahshua] answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

You are making my argument that "olam" is defined as "eternal" in this verse. The generations of Israel will never cease ergo "olam" means "eternal."

Thanks for breaking it down in Hebrew for those who are challenged with English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You have not presented any facts. Only UR assumptions/presuppositions.

Tell me which part of this post makes the assumption?

church (n.)
Old English cirice, circe "place of assemblage set aside for Christian worship; the body of Christian believers, Christians collectively; ecclesiastical authority or power," from Proto-Germanic *kirika (source also of Old Saxon kirika, Old Norse kirkja, Old Frisian zerke, Middle Dutch kerke, Dutch kerk, Old High German kirihha, German Kirche).

Circe

Circe (/ˈsɜːrsiː/; Greek: Κίρκη Kírkē pronounced [kírkɛː]) is a enchantress or sorceress in Greek mythology.[1] She is a daughter of the god Helios and either the Oceanid nymph Perse or the goddess Hecate. Circe was renowned for her vast knowledge of potions and herbs; one of her Homeric epithets is polypharmakos ("knowing many drugs or charms").[2] Through the use of these and a magic wand or staff, she would transform her enemies, or those who offended her, into animals.

Circe - Wikipedia

Got it! Syncretism!

You shall beware in all that I say to you. And the name of other elohim you shall not mention; let it not be heard coming out of your mouth.

No facts? Really?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Keep false accusations out of this thread take it to people to whom it applies.

It's not a false accusation. It applies to the purpose of this thread. It falls under prostitution.

Syncretism is playing the harlot.

Upvote 0

a-lily-of-peace

Apr 21, 2020
Australia
✟28,113.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

church (n.)

Circe

Circe - Wikipedia

Got it! Syncretism!

No facts? Really?
The link you posted says it most likely comes from the Greek word for Lord.

This is probably [see extensive note in OED] borrowed via an unrecorded Gothic word from Greek kyriake (oikia), kyriakon doma "the Lord's (house)," from kyrios "ruler, lord," from PIE root *keue- "to swell" ("swollen," hence "strong, powerful").

Greek kyriakon (adj.) "of the Lord" was used of houses of Christian worship since c. 300, especially in the East, though it was less common in this sense than ekklesia or basilike. An example of the direct Greek-to-Germanic transmission of many Christian words, via the Goths; probably it was used by West Germanic people in their pre-Christian period.

The word also was picked up by the Slavic tongues, probably via Germanic (Old Church Slavonic criky, Russian cerkov). Finnish kirkko, Estonian kirrik are from Scandinavian. Romance and Celtic languages use variants of Latin ecclesia (such as French église, 11c.).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

church (n.)
Old English cirice, circe "place of assemblage se
It's not a false accusation. It applies to the purpose of this thread. It falls under prostitution.

Syncretism is playing the harlot.
t aside for Christian worship; the body of Christian believers, Christians collectively; ecclesiastical authority or power," from Proto-Germanic *kirika (source also of Old Saxon kirika, Old Norse kirkja, Old Frisian zerke, Middle Dutch kerke, Dutch kerk, Old High German kirihha, German Kirche).

Circe

Circe - Wikipedia
Got it! Syncretism!
No facts? Really?
What's the game here? Keep throwing mud at the wall hoping some of it will stick.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The link you posted says it most likely comes from the Greek word for Lord.

How deep does this bunny hole go?

Baal (/ˈbeɪəl, ˈbɑːəl/),[1][a] properly Baʿal,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal#cite_note-7 was a title and honorific meaning "owner", "lord" in the Northwest Semitic languages spoken in the Levant during antiquity. From its use among people, it came to be applied to gods.[6] Scholars previously associated the theonym with solar cults and with a variety of unrelated patron deities, but inscriptions have shown that the name Baʿal was particularly associated with the storm and fertility god Hadad and his local manifestations.[7]

The Hebrew Bible includes use of the term in reference to various Levantine deities, often with application towards Hadad, who was decried as a false god. That use was taken over into Christianity and Islam, sometimes under the opprobrious form Beelzebub in demonology.

Baal - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

What are you driving at?
I responded in a different thread, then stopped when I saw that it was a faith community that was not my own, yes the Apostle Paul would go to the synagogue first. If they received the message of Christ, then he stayed there. If not, he'd establish a house church nearby, in some cases next door.
That is the historical view of the Church and it seems clear in history and as you read through he book of Acts that the Jews, by and large, rejected Christ. The Church sprang up from within Judaism but the Jews rejected Christ, so believing "Christians" established their own churches/ekklesia.

Is there some other point you are trying to make that I'm missing?

Upvote 0

a-lily-of-peace

Apr 21, 2020
Australia
✟28,113.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How deep does this bunny hole go?

Baal (/ˈbeɪəl, ˈbɑːəl/),[1][a] properly Baʿal, was a title and honorific meaning "owner", "lord" in the Northwest Semitic languages spoken in the Levant during antiquity. From its use among people, it came to be applied to gods.[6] Scholars previously associated the theonym with solar cults and with a variety of unrelated patron deities, but inscriptions have shown that the name Baʿal was particularly associated with the storm and fertility god Hadad and his local manifestations.[7]

The Hebrew Bible includes use of the term in reference to various Levantine deities, often with application towards Hadad, who was decried as a false god. That use was taken over into Christianity and Islam, sometimes under the opprobrious form Beelzebub in demonology.

Baal - Wikipedia
Then I will ask if you wanted to translate the word Adonai into English, what word would you use?

Upvote 0