Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah. I believe that God parted the 'Red Sea,' but I've never been concerned about its exact name.
What do you think of those who are, and go out of their way to let us know the Bible has it wrong?
While the possible archaeological discovery of its actual location is of interest to me, it's name isn't so much.
It should be.

What if you swam across the Nile River, then journalists said you swam across the Atbara (one of its tributaries) instead?
AV, you might want to stop using the word 'academia' in a wholesale fashion since there are Christian academics who think the Sea was parted and crossed by Moses and the early Israelites who followed him out of Egypt (according to the text).
You're good with words.

Do you have a suggestion I could use instead?

One that would evince the dark side of academia?
On a side note, I find it interesting that your pastor thinks that the bed of the Red Sea was raised up to the level of the Israelites. How did he arrive at this perspective?
For one thing, Pharaoh and his army went right in after them without hesitation

For another, the Red Sea has an average depth of 1640 feet.

Try scaling those cliffs in chariots!
Which Christian scholars (academics) did he consult to think about his interpretation in this way?
My pastor has a PhD and ThD in Theology and [something else] from some college somewhere.

I can't remember now which one it is.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You have absolutely no idea, yet you claim perfect knowledge.

Hubris is an understatement.
Speaking of perfect knowledge and hubris, tell me what the Red Sea is here?

Acts 7:36 He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years.

Hebrews 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

Did God's scribes make the same mistake in the New Testament, as they did in the Old and write "Red Sea," instead of "Sea of Reeds"?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Did God's scribes make the same mistake in the New Testament, as they did in the Old and write "Red Sea," instead of "Sea of Reeds"?
Why would you care, since only English rules?

• Agree
Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would you care, since only English rules?
Then why are we having this conversation?

Is it because some academians are trying to erase a MAJOR miracle in the Bible and re-write the Jews' history?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Then why are we having this conversation?

I tried to help you out in post 25, but you bit the hand that feeds you information.

Is it because some academians are trying to erase a MAJOR miracle in the Bible and re-write the Jews' history?
Not that I've seen. Which academicians? Where?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of perfect knowledge and hubris, tell me what the Red Sea is here?

Acts 7:36 He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years.

Hebrews 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

You do know that Hebrew and Greek are different languages, right?

The Hebrew yam suph used in the Old Testament means "lake of reeds". The Greek κόκκινη θάλασσα used in the New Testament means Red Sea. Different languages, different contexts, different meanings. It's really not that hard a concept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You do know that Hebrew and Greek are different languages, right?

The Hebrew yam suph used in the Old Testament means "lake of reeds". The Greek κόκκινη θάλασσα used in the New Testament means Red Sea. Different languages, different contexts, different meanings. It's really not that hard a concept.
Bible says Red Sea -- end of discussion.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think of those who are, and go out of their way to let us know the Bible has it wrong?
I'd think those persons who go out of their way to let us "know" the Bible is wrong ... are free to do so. But then, with that freedom comes the accountability of being ready to provide me their sources for me to scrutinize. Otherwise, I'll just think that they're belching forth yet another form of flatulence. :mask:

What if you swam across the Nile River, then journalists said you swam across the Atbara (one of its tributaries) instead?
Then I'd suggest they have their heads, and maybe their eyes, examined. Unless, of course, they're followers of Foucault, then I'd expect this kind of relabeling. I wouldn't accept it, but I'd expect it. :mask:
You're good with words.

Do you have a suggestion I could use instead?

One that would evince the dark side of academia?

Being that this is CF, I suppose we should attempt to be more or less gracious in the attributions we express about other people, even when they're directed at those on the 'dark side of academia.'

Yes, from what we read in the text, I can see that.

I'll have to see what geological info my 'academics' give on this and get back with you on it.
My pastor has a PhD and ThD in Theology and [something else] from some college somewhere.
Ok. If your pastor has that kind of education, I'd say that's respectable. For me, though, his viewpoint won't be enough since I usually like to gather the insights and perspectives of more than several PhD scholars on any one topic. Still, I'm glad you have such a pastor........"even" if he is Independant Baptist. :grinning:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Before I look at any other interesting and relevant info about the Red Sea, there is this one fact that I found on Wikipedia, in addition to your statement on its depth:

• Approximately 40% of the Red Sea is quite shallow (under 100 m/330 ft), and about 25% is under 50 m (164 ft) deep.
I'm going to suppose that Moses and the Israelites, if they crossed the Red Sea between two walls of water as the biblical texts tells us, then they did so while being led by a smart God who led them to cross where it's more naturally passable for the average human being.

And I could be wrong, but helping folks across a shallow area sounds more reasonable than raising the sea floor [the latter of which the text doesn't actually tell us. But, being that I wasn't there, I guess almost anything is possible.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok. If your pastor has that kind of education, I'd say that's respectable. For me, though, his viewpoint won't be enough since I usually like to gather the insights and perspectives of more than several PhD scholars on any one topic. Still, I'm glad you have such a pastor........"even" if he is Independant Baptist. :grinning:
You're an easy person to get along with! :)

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0