who are the seminary educated wof scholars?

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aug 22, 2018 — Steven Furtick has long been a bane to the Evangelical church on the basis of his own self-admission: he's unqualified for the pastorate.

"
Perhaps no diploma mill has been more successful than “Life Christian University,” which consists of a group of people with mostly phony degrees who have awarded “doctorates” to dignitaries such as “Dr.” Rodney Howard-Browne, “Dr.” Joyce Meyer, “Dr.” Kenneth Copeland, “Dr.” Norvel Hayes, “Dr.” Kevin McNulty, “Dr. Billye Brim, and “Dr.” Benny Hinn. Whether these “doctorates” are “earned” or honorary is not clear — though the difference would be little more than a technicality.

Some diploma mills for ministers make no pretense to legitimacy. American Fellowship Church sells an honorary “Doctorate of Divinity degree” for $50. The Universal Life Church offers a free “Doctorate of Divinity degree” for anyone who receives their rubber-stamp ordination. “Cambridge Theological Seminary,” also offers “free” doctorates” but if one wishes to have an actual diploma, fees will be assessed, including ones for “transcripted application,” “permanent records,” and “state-approved institutional registration.”

This mill casts aspersions on competing mills and titillates potential clients with the promise of the added prestige one will have using their phony title:

Fake It…

"
"Name it and Frame it" -- Phony Doctorates in the Church

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Revealed: This is why ‘pastors’ are obsessed with the fake ‘Dr’ title

"Butler is the head of Word of Faith International Christian Center, a far right Christian church in Detroit with 21,000 members. All of the signs of corruption are there, from the meaningless degrees (he claims two of them, both from completely unaccredited institutes, with an honorary doctorate from an obscure Canadian Bible school) to the fact that his church refuses to allow anyone to view their financial records."
Rev. Keith Butler Exposed | ScienceBlogs

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

Kenneth E Hagin, was ordained by the Assemblies of God.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It is not an accredited institution that calls or qualifies any preacher of God's Word. Rather only God Himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is not an accredited institution that calls or qualifies any preacher of God's Word. Rather only God Himself.

Yes The Holy Spirit guides us in all truth.
A seminary will reflect its doctrine, God Qualifies who He calls.
A fine degree may up your income but not your education of Gods kingdom.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

At this point, honestly, I'm not sure what your point is. I mean, all but one (to my knowledge) are pastors who are continuist, meaning that they believe the sign gifts (tongues, prophecy etc.) are for today and did not die off with the amen in Revelation. I'm not sure if any are considered WOF but at this point, it sounds like you're arguing against WOF without naming it specifically by discrediting these people who, regardless of the degrees they have, have all brought millions to a knowledge of Christ. That's just my opinion.

As far as MacArthur goes, I may not agree with a good chunk of his theology, but that man had spent over 50 years constructing his full commentary of every verse in the Bible before he released it. That feat, in and of itself, would lead an institution to give him an honorary doctorate for the sheer dedication he put into it. Honorary doctorates are given as recognition of achievement...hence why you don't see a ton of letters after their name whenever they write their name, all they get is the right to call themselves "Dr."

Regardless, there is no greater teacher to anyone than the Holy Spirit. There is nobody who calls anyone to ministry other than God and there is nobody who qualifies one for ministry other than God. One can go to college all they want to and still leave as dull and unqualified when they went in and still attain their degree. I had multiple classmates while I was in bible college who graduated...and then later decided that they no longer believed, that they were gay, that they were transgendered. A piece of paper from a school means absolutely nothing when it comes to ministry and biblical knowledge.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟705,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kenneth E Hagin, was ordained by the Assemblies of God.

He was originally ordained by the Baptist in the 30’s. Then came to the Assemblies of God in the 40’s after, as he put it, receiving the left foot of fellowship from the Baptist.

There was a break in fellowship between him and the Assemblies at some point, but he never spoke of it that I know of.

Both KHM and the AOG have a history with the writings of PC Nelson, who helped develop the Doctrinal stances. Brother Hagin often referred to him as Dad Nelson for many of the same reasons we call him Dad Hagin.

you’ll find the exact same doctrine in a book entitled “The Foundations of Pentecostal Theology” by Duff and vanCleaf.

This text is used in many of the Pentecostal Charismatic denominations.

Last edited:
Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Billy Graham was not seminary trained. I guess he is a false minister also.

Also, he did, at least, earn a degree from a bible institute in Florida that is now Trinity College of Florida. It didn't become accredited with the Association of Biblical Higher Education until 96 but is not accredited regionally with SACS. He also graduated from Wheaton with a degree in anthropology. However, he was ordained by a group of baptist clergy at a church in Florida as well.

Too bad he was unqualified for the pastorate since he didn't have an accredited degree...all those millions he brought to Christ means nothing I guess.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I cannot help to think of Reinhart Bonnike ,I know he attended a seminary at a young age.
To say the least His work in Africa was tremendous.
His Gift brought somewhere near 100 million confessions for Christ.
He was a humble man you could see the love of God in his life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟565,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have found that in spiritual matters, sometimes dumb people's opinions, when based on the word of God, are much better than smart people's opinions that are based on their own "intelligence."
Consider the world we live in today. Remember that it is being run by "smart" people.
Sometimes people have the common sense educated out of them.

"I would just as soon hear a donkey bray at midnight in a tin barn, as to listen to people like that talk."
Kenneth Hagin

Last edited:
Upvote 0