Who are the 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4?

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 4:4 and 7:11-14 do not specifically identify these leaders of the immortal "church"

John may have seen himself there as one because of the question asked and the answer

It would seem fitting that the 12 apostles are a part of the 24

The others 12 may be the 12 patriarchs of Israel
But there were only three patriarch of Israel. Okay, four. Moses, Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. David? Elijah, Elisha? John the Baptist? That's only eight. Can you point to a verse/verses where this "patriarchs" might be found in the bible, or is this opinion?

Upvote 0

Straightshot

Feb 13, 2015
✟16,234.00
Faith
Christian
"But there were only three patriarch of Israel. Okay, four. Moses, Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. David? Elijah, Elisha? John the Baptist? That's only eight. Can you point to a verse/verses where this "patriarchs" might be found in the bible, or is this opinion?"

I would suggest adding the antediluvian [pre-flood] patriarchs to your list

Those who walked with the Lord

Adam, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Shem, Ham, Japheth, Abraham, Moses, Issac, Jacob, David

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the 24 elders are created beings just as the 4 beasts.

Almost always the elders are mentioned in the company of the four beasts. Who are they? I believe they are created heavenly beings such as angels. In short I believe the 24 elders are heavenly beings as well. In Rev. 4:4 we find the elders around the throne, clothed in white raiment and wearing crowns of gold. Many say that here crowns and white raiment proves they are either raptured saints or the spirits of whoever . Not so fast, angels wear white raiment Matt. 28 2-3, Jesus is depicted as wearing white raiment Matt.17:2. Do crowns prove they are beings from this earth? I don’t believe that is enough to hang your hat on. Both the elders and the four beasts worship Him that sat on the throne Rev. 4:8-11. Rev. 5: 8 both beasts and elders have harps, and golden vials with the prayers of the saints.

Rev 5:9 KJV

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

So some would say verse 9 says “redeemed us to God by thy blood” so that proves it they are raptured believers, also verse 10 says “made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.”

Case closed its all settled. Not yet. Verse 9 says “they sung” look back at verse 8 both the beasts and the elders sung a new song. Were the 4 beasts redeemed by his blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation. No doubt the 4 beast are created beings and cannot be redeemed by His blood. Very likely the 24 elders are created beings as well. If not we have a problem with the KJV translation of this passge.

Look at these same verses out of the ASV

9 And they sing a new song, saying, Worthy art thou to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou was slain, and didst purchase unto God with thy blood men of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation,

10 and madest them to be unto our God a kingdom and priests; and they reign upon earth.

There are other versions that translate the same way as well. No contradictions in the ASV version.

Upvote 0

Straightshot

Feb 13, 2015
✟16,234.00
Faith
Christian
The 4 cherubs are angelic .... angels are never referred to as "elders" in scripture

All of the 24 are immortal humans .... John the apostle even saw himself as one of the 12 apostles [Revelation 7:13-14]

And so are the multitudes seen as humans made immortal just before the tribulation period begins

The Lord's angels need no redemption like humans do

So your case is off of the road .... a ploy to deny the Lord's pre-tribulaion call

Who is teaching you this rant?

Notice that Revelation 7 first lists the 144000 sealed of Israel .... just before the tribulation begins

Then the view switches to heaven and gives the 24 and the multitudes already there .... just before the tribulation begins

Chapter 8 is the beginning of the events tribulation period on the earth

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The 4 cherubs are angelic .... angels are never referred to as "elders" in scripture

All of the 24 are immortal humans .... John the apostle even saw himself as one of the 12 apostles [Revelation 7:13-14]

And so are the multitudes seen as humans made immortal just before the tribulation period begins

The Lord's angels need no redemption like humans do

So you case is off the road
Maybe you should read the post slowly you missed the point I agree angels need no redemption. KJV implies the 4 beasts are redeemed by His blood, I agree they are not.

Nothing says John saw himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"KJV implies the 4 beasts are redeemed by His blood"

No .... you have implied what you say

Those redeemed are the 24

Not the angelic cherubs

Context, Context, Context

Rev 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

4 beasts & elders together.

7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

4 Beasts and elders together worshiping the Lamb, they all had harps and golden vials.

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

“They” does not separate out the elders from the beasts. “They” is the elders and the 4 beasts.

10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

“Us” Is the beast and elders nothing in the text separates the two.

11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and

The beasts and the elders together

You have no basis in the text to separate the beasts from the elders. Neither or both are redeemed and I believe it neither and the ASV appears to be the correct translation. You only assume the elders are immortal humans there is no evidence in the text that they are.

Nothing here even hints John saw himself.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The timing of Revelation 5 excludes the apostles from being included in the 24 elders.

Revelation 5:1 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

God the Father holding the book with seven seals.

2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

The angel looking for one worthy to open the book and loose the seals.

3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.

No “man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth” is yet present in this scene in heaven, worthy to open the book and loose the seals.

4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.

Verse 3 and 4 tells us Jesus was not yet present in this scene in heaven. That places the timing of this just before His ascension after His resurrection.

5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

One of the elders announce Jesus has prevailed and is worthy to open the book.

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Jesus is now present in this heavenly scene.

7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

Jesus takes the book from the hand of God the Father.

8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

The 4 beasts and the 24 elders fell before the Lamb. All 28 of them had harps and golden vial.

All 28 sang the new song.

ASV 9 And they sing a new song, saying, Worthy art thou to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou was slain, and didst purchase unto God with thy blood men of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation,

This translation offers no contradictions. All 28 beasts and elders could truthfully sing this song in worship as the scripture says they did.

ASV 10 and madest them to be unto our God a kingdom and priests; and they reign upon earth.

In the ASV neither the beasts or the elders claim to be the redeemed

11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

No resurrected immortal humans identified in this verse, all are heavenly beings. Beasts, elders and many angels. Based on the fact that the above scene (vs 1-4) is just before and the moment of the Lamb’s arrival in heaven the 24 could not include the 12 apostles, they were still alive on the earth, there had been no rapture of the saints, the seals were not yet open. John did not see himself among the group. To simply declare the 24 elders are resurrected humans because of the word elders, with no evidence shows no discernment, regard for the text or common sense.

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

All of those mentioned in verse 11 were praising the Lamb.

13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Once again the 4 beasts are included with the 24 elders all worshiping “him that liveth for ever and ever”

There are many created beings in heaven. Some have different functions and responsibilities.

Genesis 1:26

Genesis 3:22

Genesis 11:7

Psalm 82:1

Job 1:6

Daniel 4:13

Daniel 4:23

Daniel 10:20-21

Revelation 12:7-10

I have made my case reasoned from scripture, if anyone disagrees, no problem, make your case and let’s discuss it. If all one can do is name call and toss out disparaging comments they may be suspect in their approach, conclusions and motives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ug.

Did you even read the link?
I don't click on links. I understand you couldn't have realized that, but is it necessary for you to be so disparaging? I know NOTHING about the end times, and for good reason, too. Because of people who act just like this towards my "ignorance". Okay?

It does make no sense to me how Jesus could judge erroneously. It wasn't meant as a personal slam against you either.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My comment

The seals have not been removed from the scroll of the coming judgment events

John sees the "things hereafter" still pending as we speak [Revelation 1:19; 4:1]

Straightshot : My comment

The seals have not been removed from the scroll of the coming judgment events

Some of the seals have been removed. Many believe the first 5 have already been removed. I agree that is a likely possibility.

John sees the "things hereafter" still pending as we speak [Revelation 1:19; 4:1]

Revelation 1:19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

John wrote of three categories:

1. Things which thou hast seen, anything shown to him not in the other two categories.

Example chapters 4 &5 which was shown to John in his vision which took place at the time of Jesus’s arrival in heaven after His resurrection and ascension. John’s real time past.

2. Things which are, things that were happening in the day in which John lived at the time of his revelation.

Example chapters 2&3 the letters to the churches of John’s day.

3. Things which shall be hereafter; hereafter John’s day.

Everything else that happened or will happen after the time of John’s Revelation.

Upvote 0