• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Who am I?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Hermit76, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Hermit76

Hermit76 You can call me Paisios Supporter

+947
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Living in the modern West I was raised in a society that valued individuality. Even in the brand of oppressive fundamentalism that we practiced there were certain incentives for being your own person. Now in my third year of Orthodoxy I find myself at somewhat of a strange place. I have found such freedom in the church that my Western-self ideas have found their way into the driver's seat and have led me to a place that does not seem very Orthodox.
    Is the Orthodox life truly compatible with the Western ideas of self, success, life? If salvation in found in the church, is that to be my identity? How does one walk away from the pursuit of self to blend into the Body of Christ?

I hope that this makes sense. I would rather like it if input was limited to Orthodox believers.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Stranger36147

Stranger36147 Member

+278
    Christian
    A hermit apparently.

3. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,228
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    And that, unorthodox.

4. Hermit76

+947
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Please respect my request for Orthodox input. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. LessThanPerfect2016

LessThanPerfect2016 Catechumen Supporter

+501
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I'll answer as best that I can though only a catechumen (shooting for an Oct 12th baptism!) Yes I do believe that it is as compatible here in the west as it is anywhere really, and is timeless in that it's been that way through the centuries in different places in the world. I think we can blend the pursuit of self with that of the Church itself. As we make ourselves better in our everyday lives whether that be through success in our careers, or practicing our talents we can offer those things to the community, and our local churches.

Also, regarding the identity portion it would stand to reason that it would be the case as we acquire the mind of the Church by living a sacramental life, no?

Please correct me if I've said something incorrect here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,278
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    if what you do is done to build up the Body of Christ, and you realize that any success is from Christ, then certain Western values are compatible.

it depends on why.

7. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+2,782
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    As a catechumen, I would say that Western Culture can be pretty complicated for Orthodoxy (especially since it is influenced by Romanism, Protestantism, and secularism).

There are good things about individualism but also bad things about it, so it would be better to give a more especially output.

8. Hermit76

+947
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    It's not building up the body. That's the problem. I don't think I was prepared for the spiritual work that comes with Orthodoxy. I thought I was. Coming from a rule based religious background to a true spiritual lifestyle isn't easy.

It may just be time to grow up

9. ArmyMatt

+11,278
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    if it's not, then talk to your confessor and try to get it back on track. God will see and honor your struggle.

and I know it ain't easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Hermit76

+947
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    We're meeting next week. I really think it's part of the journey. I'm a bit dramatic about it all, but it's no surprise I guess. Lol, when you've bounced in your search as much as I have it's tough to stop.

11. Hermit76

+947
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Thanks. A very good post!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. ArmyMatt

+11,278
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yep, it's something a lot of us who came from the West need to deal with.