SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
White Singers in Hungary Claim to Be African-American, for an Opera
In January 2018, the Hungarian State Opera in Budapest was widely criticized for staging the George Gershwin opera Porgy and Bess — whose story wrestles with racism, drug abuse and poverty — with a predominantly white cast, despite the fact that the Gershwin estate requires performances to feature an all-black cast.

Now, the Hungarian production is back for another series of performances of Porgy this month — and its nearly all-white cast was reportedly asked to sign testimonials saying that they were African-American.

The Hungarian news website Index said that it had obtained the statement, and published it last Friday. According to Index, it reads: "African-American origin and consciousness are an integral part of my identity. That's why I am especially pleased to be able to play George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess." The Hungarian television network ATV reported that a majority of the cast — 15 out 28 performers— signed the statement.

I mean, they are a Hungarian production, so I think getting an all-black cast is certainly a tall order. Although I can understand the estate's request for an American production, if a foreign group can show true reverence and respect for the source material, then they should put on a production without restriction. Nonetheless, signing an affidavit claiming to be African American when you know full well you were born in Hungary does not show that respect or reverence... in fact, it's quite hilarious.