White Nationalist 'Unite the Right' rally speaker arrested on kidnapping, domestic violence charges

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
. . . ^^^^ none of which excuses "a fringe Libertarian/Republican politician who occasionally drinks goat blood and speaks at white nationalist rallies." Yeah, America needs to be alerted and also be aware as well when such is disguised behind the excuse of "oaded speech, labels, epithets, sweeping generalizations, other fallacious reasoning methods and rhetorical devices."
There was hardly a person in the US who didn't watch this story unfold 100s of times when it occurred.

So again we have a false premise that people were not alerted.

But what occurred in the mainstream media and cable news was cherry-picking, followed by sweeping generalizations, followed by guilt by association, followed by social media amplification ... Which is the central basis of my complaint.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The false premise is that the people should not have been alerted.

No, it is not cherry picking in the slightest. Guilt by association is done by the GOP on the Dems on events that happened sixty and more years ago while denying the racists in the South moved into the Republican Party.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No, it is not cherry picking in the slightest. Guilt by association is done by the GOP on the Dems on events that happened sixty and more years ago while denying the racists in the South moved into the Republican Party.

Indeed. Have you heard the one about how the KKK was started by the Democrats?

Prager U has. :D

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't help it if white nationalists have tarnished the name of white nationalists.
Fair enough.

I was protesting KKK in Columbus Ohio in 1980. 500 KKK members led a peaceful rally, as 5000 or so anti-NAZIs surrounded them. It was peaceful due to a couple hundred police officers including dozens of mounted police.

Charlettesville could have been avoided by policing properly, as the post mortem report showed.

Unite The Right could have exercised their 1st amendment rights without violence, just as they did in Columbus in 1980, when Improtested against them, had the police arrested the protesters in riot gear, and shields and clubs, on the alt right and alt left.

There were bad people on both sides, and their were fine people on both sides such as the clergy who protested the event, and the non-violent citizens of Charlottesville who hated the absurd anachronism of tearing down statues of people who had played historic roles in their states past, no matter how wrong slavery was.

We should investigate and charge all who were perpetrators of violence.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Indeed. Have you heard the one about how the KKK was started by the Democrats?

Prager U has. :D
Not sure if your post is trying to be sarcastic. Or that you are ignorant of the fact that from the three fifths compromise, to the civil war, to forming of the KKK to kill Republicans and Republican sympathizers after the civil war, or the Jim Crow laws, or the fight against civil rights in the 1960s was all the work of democrats! In fact not just the southern Dems but also the northern Dems in lock step with southern Dems. These facts aren't the least controversial. There is hardly a U.S. History book that doesn't contain those facts.

However, we shouldn't label Democrats as the party of racism despite their history of same due to the fact that it would be a sweeping generalization, an ad hominem attack potentially causing people to discount Democrats ideas rather than engaging them based on their merit, it would also be anachronistic since civil rights have been the mantra of the Dems since 1964 at least (we will not go into the fact of LBJ's motives since he was one of the worst racists we have ever seen in the White Hoise in modern times).

No labeling, no fallacious reasoning, no rhetorical flourish, just discussing the various issues based on their merits. That way you need to falsify U.S. History to argue your point, just argue the merits.

BTW here is a site for those who liked dzheremi's post, it has a similar account to most 10th-grade textbooks, namely that the KKK was formed by confederates who were white supremacists trying to destroy the Repulican party in the south!

Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia

Although wiki is a horrible resource and I don't let any of my students ever use it as a reference it demonstrates that even Wikipedia isn't ignorant of Democratic party's post Civil War role developing the hate group known as the KKK.

Who knew PreagerU got it right after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am fixing a comment from above to make it accurate: "In fact not just the southern Dems but also [some] northern Dems and GOP in lock step with southern Dems."

But all that is immaterial, for the last fifty years it has been white nationalists and racists in the southern GOP that have attempted to restrain a better society.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
. . . ^^^^ none of which excuses "a fringe Libertarian/Republican politician who occasionally drinks goat blood and speaks at white nationalist rallies." Yeah, America needs to be alerted and also be aware as well when such is disguised behind the excuse of "loaded speech, labels, epithets, sweeping generalizations, other fallacious reasoning methods and rhetorical devices."

I don't think you can call him a politician when he didn't win his bid.. if no one will vote for you it does not a politician make.

You should more accurately say "Once a political hopeful that no one voted for"

Or just call him an idiot and be done with it..

You know what I find weird, the only people in America that know the name of every white supremacist in this country and hang on their every word are democrats..

I couldn't tell you the name of the first white supremacist outside if Duke something or other.. I don't go to their rallys I don't listen to their rhetoric and I live a lovely peaceful life and no one bothers me..

I don't know why democrats are so focused on hate all the time. I swear there's probably so many democrats listening to these idiots that they comprise the majority of their listeners. The rest of the world is completely unassailed and unmolested by their views.

Maybe if the dems stopped listening to them so much there wouldn't be an audience left to hear them so these people would shut up.

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if your post is trying to be sarcastic. Or that you are ignorant of the fact that from the three fifths compromise, to the civil war, to forming of the KKK to kill Republicans and Republican sympathizers after the civil war, or the Jim Crow laws, or the fight against civil rights in the 1960s was all the work of democrats! In fact not just the southern Dems but also the northern Dems in lock step with southern Dems. These facts aren't the least controversial. There is hardly a U.S. History book that doesn't contain those facts.

However, we shouldn't label Democrats as the party of racism despite their history of same due to the fact that it would be a sweeping generalization, an ad hominem attack potentially causing people to discount Democrats ideas rather than engaging them based on their merit, it would also be anachronistic since civil rights have been the mantra of the Dems since 1964 at least (we will not go into the fact of LBJ's motives since he was one of the worst racists we have ever seen in the White Hoise in modern times).

No labeling, no fallacious reasoning, no rhetorical flourish, just discussing the various issues based on their merits. That way you need to falsify U.S. History to argue your point, just argue the merits.

BTW here is a site for those who liked dzheremi's post, it has a similar account to most 10th-grade textbooks, namely that the KKK was formed by confederates who were white supremacists trying to destroy the Repulican party in the south!

Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia

Although wiki is a horrible resource and I don't let any of my students ever use it as a reference it demonstrates that even Wikipedia isn't ignorant of Democratic party's post Civil War role developing the hate group known as the KKK.

Prager U got it wrong.

Southern conservatives started the KKK.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The origin of the charges is still a bit unclear:

The warrant listed charges for kidnapping, domestic violence and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence but offered no explanation of the circumstances. Invictus appeared in court on New Year’s Day.

White supremacist Augustus Sol Invictus allegedly kidnapped his wife at gunpoint in front of their children and forced her to travel across state lines, according to police records.

Invictus, who legally changed his name from Austin Gillespie, was arrested Monday in Florida on counts of kidnapping, aggravated domestic violence, and possession of a firearm during a crime. The incident began in Rock Hill, South Carolina, on Dec. 12, when he allegedly put a gun to his wife’s head and forced her to travel to Florida with him. She was later able to escape back to South Carolina, where she spoke with police.

White Supremacist Augustus Invictus Kidnapped Wife at Gunpoint: Cops

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia

The problem with this whole post is that it tries to explain things in terms of political party as opposed to geography. Racism in the United States is not relegated to one region, but it was concentrated the most in the South. The key is that southern racism was a problem and continues to be a problem in the United States as it is the region where such attitudes are the most concentrated. In the past, these racists supported the Democratic Party, and now many of them support the Republican Party. "Universities" that attempt to paint the Democratic Party of today as being strongly associated with the party of the past are dishonest and also think people are too stupid to look at where racists currently reside. They want to call "the left" racist, so they use an ignorant approach to US history to push that narrative.

However, in the modern era, the worst racism comes from the person who labeled a group as rapists, said a person can't do their job due to their ethnic origin, puts people in cages, praises white supremacists, and threatened to bomb the cultural sites of a particular ethnic/religious group. History will not be kind to those who support these destructive and racist attitudes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
…. You know what I find weird, the only people in America that know the name of every white supremacist in this country and hang on their every word are democrats..."

Oh, I don't believe that all, and I bet you don't either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, I don't believe that all, and I bet you don't either.

If I didn't honestly hold that belief I wouldn't have posted it...

You don't see republicans running around posting the latest information on every fringe weirdo white supremacist and everything they say - only democrats.

I'd say if the dems stopped listening there wouldn't be enough of a listening audience left for them to continue speaking..

Upvote 0