White nationalist group tries to march in Philadelphia; gets chased out by locals

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
White supremacist group marches through Philadelphia before Fourth of July celebrations

Usually I just post the first paragraph, but I'll skip straight to the punchline here...

Police said some of the angry onlookers scared off the white supremacists.

"They started engaging with citizens of Philadelphia, who were none too happy about what they were saying. These males felt threatened, and, at one point, somebody in their crowd threw a type of smoke bomb to cover their retreat, and they literally ran away from the people of Philadelphia," said Philadelphia Police Officer Michael Crum.

Gotta love Philly...

Thoughts?

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
White supremacist group marches through Philadelphia before Fourth of July celebrations

Usually I just post the first paragraph, but I'll skip straight to the punchline here...

Gotta love Philly...

Thoughts?

Never felt the racial divide more acutely than when I was in Philadelphia. Second thought would be the city carries a huge chip on it's shoulder about almost being the capital, third would be that a few hundred years ago some guy named Penn bought a block of land and called it Pennsylvania, and no-one has a problem with that, yet when ever I refer to my home as tanjopolis people laugh at me, and finally I'm pretty sure it's called Philadelphia because a city by that name appears in the Book of Revelations.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Never felt the racial divide more acutely than when I was in Philadelphia. Second thought would be the city carries a huge chip on it's shoulder about almost being the capital, third would be that a few hundred years ago some guy named Penn bought a block of land and called it Pennsylvania, and no-one has a problem with that, yet when ever I refer to my home as tanjopolis people laugh at me, and finally I'm pretty sure it's called Philadelphia because a city by that name appears in the Book of Revelations.

All I've heard is that it's psychologically impossible to insult someone from Philly -- they either take it as a compliment, or as a challenge for a fight... which they also take as a compliment.

I also remember after the Philly election results came in, costing Donald thestate and subsequently the country, Lou Dobbs tried to call on Conservatives to "surround" Philadelphia and put pressure on the city...

Philly responded via Social Media.... and how.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't think that's why it's named Philadelphia. It has more to do with an homage to classical civilization and neo-classical aesthetics. It also is a reference to Enlightenment ideals, the notion of fraternity. That's how many Americans understand the city's name, in fact, "The City of Brotherly Love".

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never felt the racial divide more acutely than when I was in Philadelphia. Second thought would be the city carries a huge chip on it's shoulder about almost being the capital,

The real reason we have a chip on our shoulder is because you know how when getting on a major highway, they'll have a major city in the sign to tell you what direction the highway goes? Well, outside of Philadelphia on I-95, a highway that runs right through the city, there's signs that indicate NYC, Washington, Wilmington, Trenton, and Camden. But not Philadelphia.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The real reason we have a chip on our shoulder is because you know how when getting on a major highway, they'll have a major city in the sign to tell you what direction the highway goes? Well, outside of Philadelphia on I-95, a highway that runs right through the city, there's signs that indicate NYC, Washington, Wilmington, Trenton, and Camden. But not Philadelphia.

It's motivational. Philly is the city that Baltimore could be. The Federal Highway Administration wants us to shoot higher.

ETA: Gun-violence-related pun not intended, but I'm gonna leave it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's motivational. Philly is the city that Baltimore could be. The Federal Highway Administration wants us to shoot higher.
Baltimore started downhill when the Colts left.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

And as a NJ resident, I can attest living next to Camden would set anyone on edge.. ;)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And as a NJ resident, I can attest living next to Camden would set anyone on edge.. ;)

My wife is from a town in PA just across the river from Trenton. She tells people she's from "outside Philly" despite Philly being something like 5x farther away, because if she says "outside Trenton," they'll get the wrong idea and think she's from Jersey. Which... no.

Upvote 0