Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
For years, Huntington Beach has tried to push back against its reputation as a magnet for extremist hate.

Those efforts weren’t helped last year when the city’s downtown and pier became a rallying spot for anti-mask activists and far-right supporters of then-President Trump.

Now, the city is bracing for a White Lives Matter rally Sunday. The event — which arrives after a smattering of Ku Klux Klan fliers were distributed in Huntington Beach and surrounding areas — is sparking new demands that the city take more profound steps to shake its association with right-wing extremism once and for all.

The rally, organized by the Loyal White Knights, is slated to take place at the Huntington Beach Pier. For days, community members have been planning counterprotests and pleading with public officials to intervene.

Lt. Brian Smith, a spokesman for the department, said Wednesday that the KKK event, while not sanctioned, is protected by the 1st Amendment, but added that police will take action if people encroach on civil liberties or incite violence.

Huntington Beach, a solidly Republican city of nearly 200,000, has been grappling with these issues for decades. In the 1980s and 1990s, racist skinheads roamed the city attacking minorities.

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For years, Huntington Beach has tried to push back against its reputation as a magnet for extremist hate.

Those efforts weren’t helped last year when the city’s downtown and pier became a rallying spot for anti-mask activists and far-right supporters of then-President Trump.

Now, the city is bracing for a White Lives Matter rally Sunday. The event — which arrives after a smattering of Ku Klux Klan fliers were distributed in Huntington Beach and surrounding areas — is sparking new demands that the city take more profound steps to shake its association with right-wing extremism once and for all.

The rally, organized by the Loyal White Knights, is slated to take place at the Huntington Beach Pier. For days, community members have been planning counterprotests and pleading with public officials to intervene.

Lt. Brian Smith, a spokesman for the department, said Wednesday that the KKK event, while not sanctioned, is protected by the 1st Amendment, but added that police will take action if people encroach on civil liberties or incite violence.

Huntington Beach, a solidly Republican city of nearly 200,000, has been grappling with these issues for decades. In the 1980s and 1990s, racist skinheads roamed the city attacking minorities.

I might actually go just to take photographs and post them here... I have nothing better to do this weekend.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But guy's, don't be fooled. HB, known as "Surf City USA", is a pretty awesome place. If you ever go there, make sure to stop in at the legendary Jack's Surf shop (...not sure if @jacks owns that place or if it's just a coincidence).

But, surf's up, dudes..!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Counterprotesters might want to avoid the area. :eek:
This is a area, that diverse people live and visit. Maybe these protester should go to a less diverse state. Instead of starting trouble.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a area, that diverse people live and visit. Maybe these protester should go to a less diverse state. Instead of starting trouble.
But diversity is our strength.

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a white male I would like someone to explain why I should even consider going to such a rally as "White Lives matter", after all, the colour of my skin gives me in some places privilege that I do not seek as does my being a Christian and I do not seek that privilege either. Yeshua asked us to humble ourselves to be servants of others of all peoples. So why should I join such a rally?
in Love
Jay Sea

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I'm not convinced this is a repeat of the 80s or 90s.

Not a repeat, exactly, no. But Orange County has been a hotbed of conservatism and racism for a long time.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
About an hour after the reported rally was scheduled to begin, the counter-protesters far outnumbered those displaying their support for Donald Trump and other white supremacy groups, including the Proud Boys.

Shortly before 3 p.m., police declared an unlawful assembly in the area of 5th Street and Walnut Avenue, in order to “disperse an unruly crowd.”

According to authorities, at least six people were arrested, mostly for using unlawful sound amplifiers, possession of pepper spray and interfering with arrests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums