White Gunman Attacks Non-Whites at California Pool

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I would say there are certain liberals who generalize, but others do not. And, likewise, humans who are conservative can generalize, but not all conservatives do.

So, it is clear it is silly and inaccurate to make one-size-fits-all statements.
And yet there is no protest of this generalization when a government agency is made to highlight crimes committed by immigrants (despite them committing less crime than people born in the United States). It's cool to say, "let's not generalize," but the generalization of one group leads actual policy and practices that demonizes and denigrates specific groups, so the claim of universal wrong is quite laughable.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tell me when they make a division to focus on white crime, then we'll talk.

Things have to go that far for you to have a talk about it? Lol, good luck with succeeding with your goals having that mindset..

Another problem with your argument, toxic masculinity does not mean white.

I think you've completely missed my point. Of course toxic masculinity doesn't mean white, I never applied it did. I was saying that similar thinking used to justify fear of men in general is also used by racists for fear of black people.

Many feminists say that men are bad because of their extra testosterone, many racists say black men are bad because of their extra testosterone. What do you think is going to happen when a culture of fear over lower pitched sounding people will fare for people who often have even lower pitched voices?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A Christian guy shot up an abortion clinic because Planned Parenthood "sells baby parts," yet the entire ideology of Christianity isn't attacked, so let's can the argument of false equivalence. The only reason people see nuance with people closely related to them, while they see other people as being something entirely different is because of their own prejudices. Those prejudices are wrong, they are not based on some objective standard.

I understand it's an emotionally charged issue for you, but again, you're ignoring the key differences that lead to the double standard. I openly said the double standard was wrong, however, to pretend that it's strictly based on bigotry is just as inaccurate.

If Christian guys shot up 20 abortion clinics in the last 10 years, and shot up 50 people at a gay night club not long after setting off bombs at a marathon in a major city...and if there were documented video footage of Christian extremists tossing gays off of rooftops, stoning women for adultery, and beheading apostates in view of a massive cheering crowd, then you can believe that people would be just as outraged and start having the same judgmental biases about Christianity.

People (mostly on the left) blame bigotry because it's the convenient answer. People don't want to lose their "PC street cred" by acknowledging the fact that there are some very big differences within the world religions in present time.

Look, I agreed with you, judging individuals (or their motives) based on "group identities" is wrong...I openly said that in my post. However, attributing that strictly to bigotry is lazy and intellectually dishonest. The harsh reality is, the reason why Muslims are are getting the more negative perception as a opposed to Christians, is because the barbarism in the name of Islam is happening with greater frequency and severity than barbarism in the name of Christianity. That's just a fact... again, I'm not saying that justifies any sort of prejudice against Muslims as individuals, just merely stating why one ideology has a bigger negative stigma than the other at the present time.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if that is just a public position to keep things cool.
Past attacks from black on white have usually started with similar public statements.

In my opinion, not much is random.
It seems as if that's the first thing they memorize to say whenever things like this happen regardless of any indications to the contrary.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the generalization of one group leads actual policy and practices that demonizes and denigrates specific groups
If politicians have the nature to be ok with killing unborn Americans, they can also be capable of not taking good care of other groups, including of their own selves.

I can't make other people do what is right, if they are not right and do not know how to love. The problem is, basically along with how ones are fallen in sin, that they do not know how to love. Without love, they can not do what is right. Just reforming or trying to reform things does not change our character of selfishness.

Jesus says, "if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" in Matthew 5:46. There are people who only can love those they think they can use. And I have not been so great, myself; so I need how God corrects me.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can we please drop the notation that all religions are equal? They are not, some religions are clearly more violent then other religions.

Yep, that's exactly what I was touching on in both of my posts as well.

Far too many people on the (typically on the far left) seem to fear that they'll lose their "PC Card" in the eyes of their peers if they don't take the even-handed "all religions are equally bad" stance.

I wish I could directly link the video here (but alas I can't, Bill drops one F bomb in the video), but there's a great 10 minute segment where this is being discussed:
If people search on youtube for "Ben Affleck, Sam Harris and Bill Maher Debate Radical Islam | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)", it should be the first result.

...and it's not coming from a place of conservative bias, Ben, Sam, and Bill are all left-wing. However, Sam takes the realistic "look at the data" approach, as to where Ben immediately jumps to the emotional response of accusing everyone else of bigotry for daring to even bring up the polls and data.

As Sam says in the video...the lie being told isn't that all religions have their extremists, because they do...nobody is denying that, the lie being told is that "the extremists are just a fraction of a fraction, the rest are all moderates".

Sam does a great job explaining it using the concept of concentric circles.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The generalization is purposeful. There is no reason to generalize; however, when the perpetrator is African American, a Hispanic immigrant, or Muslim, there is always talk of "bad culture" and the responsibility of communities. When someone points out this hypocrisy with stories like these, these same people miss that point and argue that there is hypocrisy due to generalizations. It's fairly evident that no one blames the "white community" for crimes committed by individuals. No one creates a division to highlight crimes carried out by white people, yet they wish to do the same to highlight crimes by immigrants (with Latin American immigrants being their main focus). Where was your voice to speak to that wrongful generalization? The notion of "the left think [it's] okay to generalize" is utterly false, it was always brought up to show the subjective nature of pointing out crimes by minority groups... it appears some people missed this point.

You're kidding me here, right?

There's no generalization of whites as serial killers(other specific criminals) in various minority communities?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can we please drop the notation that all religions are equal? They are not, some religions are clearly more violent then other religions.

If an Aztec priest were about to do cold-blooded heart surgery on them I am more than certain that they would not consider all religions as equally good.

• Agree
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The generalization is purposeful. There is no reason to generalize; however, when the perpetrator is African American, a Hispanic immigrant, or Muslim, there is always talk of "bad culture" and the responsibility of communities.

Again, you can't keep lumping in racial issues with religious ones...

For one thing, it weakens your argument because one is a circumstance of birth, the other is a circumstance of choice. What's happening to the black & Hispanic communities is grossly more unfair than what's happening with regards to Muslims.

I'll lay out the case again with what's happening with Muslim communities (and again, to preface, judging individuals based on group identities is wrong, I agree with you on that).

The violence being carried out in the name of Islam is happening with greater severity, frequency, and magnitude then what we see out of the Christian world. Sure, you can search the web and find the cases of a radical Christian targeting an abortion clinic...however, show me an instance of where they targeted one and racked up more than 3 casualties...show me the news reports of 4 abortion clinic attacks happening in a 2 month time window, show me the statistics where 68% of Christians say they endorse the attacks?

The reality is,
If "Group A" is responsible for 17 high profile attacks racking up a body count in the thousands over the last 15 years, and
if "Group B" is responsible for a body count between 30-40 across the span of 1982-Present, and the rest is just property damage...

Are you honestly questioning why "Group A" would have a bigger societal stigma than "Group B"? Or do you already, deep-down, know the answer, but wish to blame it purely on bigotry?

For it to be a double standard, both sides being examined need to have equitable numbers... What's wrong with simply telling the truth and saying "Islam has more cultural issues at the moment than Christianity does"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Any African American represents the whole group? Isn't that a bit irrational? I mean, there are nut cases in mental hospitals who are Chinese. Do they represent the whole Chinese group? All Muslims aren't terrorists-you know? Neither are all white people racists.
As a minority, the above is a viewpoint we commonly encounter.

Many whites feel that the action of "some blacks" justifies how "all blacks" are treated. Conversely, many feel that all blacks think and feel a certain way and are surprised to discover that we don't all think like Al Sharpton...

Bill O'Riely was king of this mindset...

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As a minority, the above is a viewpoint we commonly encounter.

Many whites feel that the action of "some blacks" justifies how "all blacks" are treated. Conversely, many feel that all blacks think and feel a certain way and are surprised to discover that we don't all think like Al Sharpton...

Bill O'Riely was king of this mindset...
But the person who is making that logic mistake on this forum isn't white.

Upvote 0