Which televised Preachers are okay to watch?

Bear.Fr00t

Fruit Inspector
May 5, 2010
✟16,022.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Every sermon I've heard has been biblical. What do you have against him?

Ok so I went to Creflo's web site and see that he preaches prosperity, so I assume this is what you are referencing. Every time I saw Creflo on TV he preached a very nice message, not prosperity. But I see where you are coming from.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,753,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Every sermon I've heard has been biblical. What do you have against him?
Using the bible and being biblical are not the same thing.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,753,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]CREFLO DOLLAR[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Creflo A. Dollar is the founder of the nearly 24,000-member World Changers Church International in College Park, Georgia.3 The Trinity Broadcasting Network airs his Changing Your World television program worldwide. Dollar holds no degree in theology, and much of his prosperity message is based on the teachings of spiritual mentor Kenneth Copeland.4[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]It is common for teachers of false doctrine to redefine the nature of God. For example, a Jehovah’s Witness denies the three-personed nature of the Godhead, considering Jesus to be the archangel Michael incarnate. A Mormon considers Jesus to be one of many gods and the spirit brother of Lucifer. It becomes painfully apparent that without a correct understanding of the nature of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, people find themselves worshipping a false god.[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Creflo Dollar is typical of many Word of Faith teachers who redefine and re-create God in man’s image. He teaches that “Jesus didn’t come as God, He came as a man, and He did not come perfect.”5 Realizing how controversial this statement is, he then adds: “How many of you know the Bible says God never sleeps nor slumbers? And yet in the Book of Mark we see Jesus asleep in the back of the boat. This ain’t no heresy. I’m not some false prophet. I’m just reading this thing to you out of the Bible.”6[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]This teaching flatly contradicts John 1:14, which says “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.”7 The Word—God in Jesus Christ—became flesh, not the other way around, and to claim that God was anything less than perfect is heresy. Jesus was the God-Man and as such He had human limitations, such as having to eat and sleep like the rest of us. Carrying Dollar’s teaching to its logical conclusion, Jesus must have been a sinner, given the fact that anything less than perfection involves sin. Such a Savior, however, would have been unable to rescue us from our sins.[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Dollar’s next strategy is to elevate man to the status of godhood. “I’m gonna say to you right now that you are gods, little ‘g.’ You are gods because you came from God and you are gods.”8 Isaiah rejects Dollar’s claim when he writes, “’You are my witnesses,’ declares the Lord, ‘and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me’” (Isa. 43:10).[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Dollar attempted to prove while in conversation with Kenneth Copeland that we have equality with God:[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]In Philippians chapter 2, I want you to look at verse 5…. ‘Let this mind, let this attitude be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.’ So now, what mind, what attitude is it that you want me to make sure that this same attitude is in me?… ‘Who being in the form of God thought it not robbery to be equal with God.’…Now, if I’m to take what he said here and put it on, then my whole attitude now should be I have equality with God….Now somebody says, well it’s hard to think that way. Well, keep saying it….Talk yourself into it.’”9[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]God responds, “‘To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?’ says the Holy One. Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name” (Isa. 40:25–26b). It is nothing less than blasphemy to try and claim that we have equality with God.[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Philippians 2:5-11, in context, tells us that just as Christ, who is greater than us, humbled Himself, so we are to humble ourselves in relation to each other. This is just the opposite of Dollar’s explanation. He is asking his followers to exalt themselves, while Jesus makes it clear that “whoever exalts himself will be humbled” (Matt. 23:12).[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Psalm 111:10a states, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” By treating God as an equal, however, Dollar doesn’t appear to exhibit any reverential fear of Him whatsoever. Having led his followers to believe that they are little gods who have equality with God, it follows that they should have everything their hearts desire. They thus believe that they simply can’t be happy without money. “See, there are some people that believe not in prosperity….They don’t want to hear about that God is a God that wants to put money in your hand….Well, you need to hear about money, because you ain’t gonna have no love and joy and peace until you get some money!”10[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]This teaching inevitably leads to a different gospel than the one in the Bible. Dollar questions: “What’s the Gospel to those who are poor? Prosperity! What’s the Gospel to those who lack? Prosperity! And if you don’t preach it, then you won’t be able to do anything about the poverty situation.”11[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Jesus often healed the blind and the lame, but the Gospels fail to give us a single example of Jesus bestowing riches on the poor. Dollar maintains that material possessions are important for preaching the gospel “because you have a world of people out there that don’t know your Jesus, but when they start seeing you with their stuff, they’re going to want to know how you got it and they’ll want you to introduce them to the Jesus that’s able to open doors up without the college degree.”12 Dollar’s gospel has people coming to Jesus for material gain instead of forgiveness of sins.[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Scripture clearly teaches us not to labor for earthly goods. Matthew 6:19–20 says, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Scripture promises that trials will come “so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed” (1 Pet. 1:7). The church ignores Christ’s words at its own peril.[/FONT]

Christianity Still in Crisis?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TravisD

Happy Child
Nov 3, 2009
Korea
✟11,733.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am weary of televised Preachers because I'm always afraid they might be false prophets. Also, having a small understanding of the Bible myself, I know I wouldn't always be able to know if what they are telling me is all true according to scripture. Which ones do you all watch? I have seen Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Paula White, Joel Osteen, etc. but I don't know who to trust..​

False prophets are everywhere... on TV and in local churches. I've watched some televised evangelists and really enjoyed what they had to say. You can even learn from the false ones. This one guy who really sticks in my mind...Murdock I think... goes on talking about money and how he was poor and struggling his whole life until he put his faith in God... The majority of what he was preaching was straight out of the Bible. Then he got to a point where he was calling other Christians dumb because they were afraid to give more of what they had to God. He even created his own little parody of "How Great Thou Art" and sang "How dumb thou art" referring to those Christians. Towards the end of the broadcast he had everyone praying in the audience with checkbooks and wallets in the air and he was asking for a $1,000 donation.. or seed.

False prophets always have a way of revealing themselves. It is our responsibility as Christians to search the scriptures and study. God knows our hearts and if we desire the truth all we have to do is ask him and we will receive it(not necessarily without effort) Matthew 7:7.

I recommend giving all televangelists a chance. Just know ahead of time that they may have a hidden agenda. When they say something that doesn't make sense you can study and find the truth. Online Concordances are the best!!

Plenty of good websites... two of my favorite are:
biblegateway.org - a lot of different translations with concordance.
bible.cc - Breaks down a scripture... explains the origins and does a parallel search with a bunch of different bibles to help you get insight. This is great if you have difficulty with a specific verse.

Upvote 0

sheina

Born Crucified
Mar 30, 2007
Mississippi
✟17,014.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
None of the above. Find a good church in your local community and get plugged in. There is nothing that any TV preacher will offer you that you will not get in abundance from a good local church.
I heartily agree! Most of the TV preachers are Word of Faith/Name it Claim it. Adrian Rodgers was on TV before he passed away, but not anymore.

There are alot of good sermons on the internet...but one needs to be discerning there. Sermonaudio.com and OnePlace.com have some excellent sermons. Also you might find some good preaching on youtube.

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am weary of televised Preachers because I'm always afraid they might be false prophets. Also, having a small understanding of the Bible myself, I know I wouldn't always be able to know if what they are telling me is all true according to scripture. Which ones do you all watch? I have seen Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Paula White, Joel Osteen, etc. but I don't know who to trust..

If you want to know the bible I suggest that you go here;
Grace to You Just about every book in the bible is explained and it is all free to listen to and or download. This man is one of the most dedicated bible teachers in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am weary of televised Preachers because I'm always afraid they might be false prophets. Also, having a small understanding of the Bible myself, I know I wouldn't always be able to know if what they are telling me is all true according to scripture. Which ones do you all watch? I have seen Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Paula White, Joel Osteen, etc. but I don't know who to trust..
I didn't take time to read all the post, but you are in the wrong denomination, overall most baptist don't believe in prophets for today's church

Upvote 0

MbiaJc

Veteran
Jul 9, 2004
Bowdon, Ga.
✟2,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I am weary of televised Preachers because I'm always afraid they might be false prophets. Also, having a small understanding of the Bible myself, I know I wouldn't always be able to know if what they are telling me is all true according to scripture. Which ones do you all watch? I have seen Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Paula White, Joel Osteen, etc. but I don't know who to trust..​

Do not watch any of these guys you listed. Study your bible first then you will know whether these dudes are teaching the truth.

Upvote 0