Which Service Do You Attend?

Which service do you attend most often?

• Book of Common Prayer

• Book of Alternative Services

• Mattins

• I get a good mix of each of them.

• I don't currently attend any services.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChasingADream

Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Niagara Falls, Ontario
✟22,349.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was surprised to hear that since BAS is the main service at most parishes up here in Canada (though we still have BCP services at most parishes as well), so I did a little research...

What I gather from the link below, is the American (Episcopalian) 1979 BCP is the same as the Canadian, English, Australian etc. BAS. For some reason it was called the 1979 BCP in America only. I guess you learn something new every day. :thumbsup:

http://www.prayerbook.ca/library/responses/crisis/crisis15.htm

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I was surprised to hear that since BAS is the main service at most parishes up here in Canada (though we still have BCP services at most parishes as well), so I did a little research...

What I gather from the link below, is the American (Episcopalian) 1979 BCP is the same as the Canadian, English, Australian etc. BAS.
I've never encountered it (under any name) in either England or Australia.

Down here most liturgical services are from APBA (A Prayer Book for Australia) or, if you are in Sydney or a Syndey-like diocese the older AAPB (An Australian Prayerbook). Just to be different though, my church uses Common Worship (under special dispensation from the bishop).

So I guess the answer to the poll is None of the Above.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
None of the Above. Common Worship, Order One. Hopefully we'll be Prayer H this sunday! That's my favourite so far...

Timothy
Same here! CW, Order One, and either Prayer A or Prayer H.

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Prayer D is nice, but the interactiveness of Prayer H is quite a change, and thus I find it quite challenging for our congregation which has for many years been a people-in-the-pew-watching-the-priest congregation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Prayer D is nice, but the interactiveness of Prayer H is quite a change, and thus I find it quite challenging for our congregation which has for many years been a people-in-the-pew-watching-the-priest congregation.
The only time I've encountered D I found it rather sickly.

In England we used H for the Family Service, but you can't use it with the proper prefaces, so it doesn't sit well when you want to emphasis the seasons.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
The main service of the day, whatever it happens to be.

I don't have to like it. I don't. I want my nice old 1662 prayer book. I want my Merbecke chant. I want Morning Prayer. I want the rubrics followed; a fine linen cloth on the table; and the Bible, flowers, and candlesticks OFF the table. I want the lectionary followed and I want University-lecture-quality sermons.

But I want to be there when the Church gathers, imperfect and liturgically-misguided though the Church happens to be. And our liturgically-misguided church uses a hacked-together liturgy from the H.O.P.* with a praise band. Oddly enough, God (who has all the choice imaginable) also attends that service. Either He has terrible taste, or He's willing to put up with a lot to be present with the Church, too.

*Holy Overhead Projector

Reactions: ebia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
What are Missal Prayers?

I attend CW, but we do not use a physical book. The relevent parts of the service are reproduced on the screen and in handouts for those behind pillars.

Darned pillars!

The Missal is the liturgy used in the Roman Catholic Church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.