✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Doctrine and Covenants 88
21 And they who are not sanctified through the law which I have given unto you, even the law of Christ, must inherit another kingdom, even that of a terrestrial kingdom, or that of a telestial kingdom.
22 For he who is not able to abide the law of a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory.

Mormons posting to CF, are you forgiven?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Doctrine and Covenants 82
7 And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Doctrine and Covenants 82
7 And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.

Wow, that turns God into a spiteful jerk 'I forgive you this time but do it again and I'll throw all back it in your face'. Unbelievable that this line is actual scripture to millions, I feel really bad for those that actually believe this.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that turns God into a spiteful jerk 'I forgive you this time but do it again and I'll throw all back it in your face'. Unbelievable that this line is actual scripture to millions, I feel really bad for those that actually believe this.

The idea is that if you're doing it again, did you really learn your lesson from the last time?

• Informative
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The idea is that if you're doing it again, did you really learn your lesson from the last time?
If you are forgiven for something then you are forgiven. You have a clean slate to start from, I'm sure God is not that petty. I can understand a man saying something like this, but not God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
To enter the celestial and obtain exaltation it is necessary that the whole law be kept. The word of the Lord is that they of the celestial world are those sanctified from all unrighteousness. (D.C. 88:21, cf. verse 18.) To become sanctified there are certain definite covenants we must keep in faithfulness, living by "every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God." "They are they who received the testimony of Jesus, and believed on his name and were baptized after the manner of his burial, * * * That by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins, and
receive the Holy Spirit by the laying on of the hands of him who is ordained and sealed unto the power." These are they "who overcome by faith and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true." (D.C. 76:51-53. See also verses 54-60.) And they who are not sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise and who are not just and true, need not expect their great blessings.
(Joseph Fielding Smith, The Way to Perfection, p.206)

Repentance requires both turning away from evil and turning to God. (See Deut. 4:30; see also Bible Dictionary, s.v. “Repentance.”) When “a mighty change” is required, full repentance involves a 180-degree turn, and without looking back! (Alma 5:12–13.) Initially, this turning reflects progress from telestial to terrestrial behavior, and later on to celestial behavior. As the sins of the telestial world are left behind, the focus falls ever more steadily upon the sins of omission, which often keep us from full consecration. (Neal A. Maxwell, “Repentance,” Ensign, Nov. 1991, p. 30)
http://emp.byui.edu/jexj/new/talks/Quote/CelestialGlory.pdf

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
If you are forgiven for something then you are forgiven. You have a clean slate to start from, I'm sure God is not that petty. I can understand a man saying something like this, but not God.
If you have a clean slate, keep it that way.
Why wouldn't God say something like this?:

(New Testament | 2 Peter 2:20 - 22)

20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

(Old Testament | Psalms 85:8)

8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.

(New Testament | Hebrews 6:4 - 6)

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

(New Testament | John 5:14)

14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

This perhaps may be an oblique reference to the parable of the unmerciful servant, who was forgiven but then when he refused to forgive, had the full weight of debt placed back on him.

Though as a Lutheran, I don't believe in the theology presented, of meticulous repentance and law-keeping. People are justified by faith alone, so it's a little moot. But I can see where the inspiration may have come from, by over-literalizing a parable.

• Informative
Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you have a clean slate, keep it that way.
Why wouldn't God say something like this?:

(New Testament | 2 Peter 2:20 - 22)

20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

(Old Testament | Psalms 85:8)

8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.

(New Testament | Hebrews 6:4 - 6)

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

(New Testament | John 5:14)

14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Many people listened to the Gospel message, and then turned away. They knew God's word, but weren't born again.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A Christian has received the new birth. No one belongs to Christ without the new birth.

Romans 8
Control by the Spirit
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
A Christian has received the new birth. No one belongs to Christ without the new birth.

Romans 8
Control by the Spirit
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
The new birth is baptism for the remission of sins.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
All the Mormons can be forgiven same as all the gentiles -

few of any ever are , so ........ ? Yahweh knows which ones, and

has their names in a book in heaven. (Mormons and gentiles - Yahweh

is not prejudiced against any - He is no respecter of persons) .....

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The new birth is a spiritual birth initiated by the Holy Spirit.

Mormonism:
"Through baptism we have become adopted members of the royal family of Jesus Christ, and that is the basic reason we now call each other 'brother' or 'sister.' We have indeed become members of the Church, or family, of Jesus Christ."
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1985/09/to-be-born-again?lang=eng

"When people of the world speak of being 'saved,' they refer to being saved from death to rise in the resurrection. This is the first part of the atonement of Jesus Christ as he described it. It is a pure gift of grace which Jesus Christ gives to every person who has lived on the earth, and is independent of the works we do. But to be exalted to eternal life and to be able to live the kind of life that God the Eternal Father lives requires not only the gift of grace that Jesus gives to all mankind through his atonement, but that gift coupled with our own obedience and conformity to all the requirements of righteous living prescribed by the gospel of Jesus Christ. Exaltation, or the eternal life Jesus spoke about, comes from a partnership with Jesus Christ, which begins in the ordinance of baptism, by which we are reborn, and is developed through a lifetime of righteous living."
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1985/09/to-be-born-again?lang=eng

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
All the Mormons can be forgiven same as all the gentiles -

few of any ever are , so ........ ? Yahweh knows which ones, and

has their names in a book in heaven. (Mormons and gentiles - Yahweh

is not prejudiced against any - He is no respecter of persons) .....

I was asking Mormons according to their own beliefs. If they have reached perfection they are forgiven.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I was asking Mormons according to their own beliefs. If they have reached perfection they are forgiven.
In their own beliefs, any religion might say that.

Of course you and I know they are lost, not forgiven, right ?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In their own beliefs, any religion might say that.

Of course you and I know they are lost, not forgiven, right ?

i have never met every member of the Mormon church and even if I had, it wouldn't be my place to say who is saved and who is lost. Mormonism is false. Not all members believe it is true. Some members moved away and weren't excommunicated, but became Christians.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not many Mormons have responded to this. Perhaps they have to wait until they receive the Second Anointing or until Judgment Day.

From Wikipedia [as of March 9, 2011]: In the Latter Day Saint movement, the second anointing, also known historically and in Latter Day Saint scripture as the fullness of the priesthood, is an obscure and relatively rare ordinance usually conducted in temples as extension of the Nauvoo Endowment ceremony. Founder Joseph Smith, Jr. cited the "fullness of the priesthood" as one of the reasons for building the Nauvoo Temple (D&C 124:28). In the ordinance, a participant is anointed as a "priest and king" or a "priestess and queen", and is sealed to the highest degree of salvation available in Mormon theology. Those who participate in this ordinance are said to have their "calling and election made sure", and their celestial marriage "sealed by the holy spirit of promise". They are said to have received the "more sure word of prophecy".
http://www.mormonthink.com/glossary/secondendowment.htm

Book of Mormon
Alma 11:37: “And I say unto you again that he cannot save them in their sins; for I cannot deny his word, and he hath said that no unclean thing can inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore, how can ye be saved, except ye inherit the kingdom of heaven? Therefore, ye cannot be saved in your sins.”

How many Mormons become perfectly sinless?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Not many Mormons have responded to this. Perhaps they have to wait until they receive the Second Anointing or until Judgment Day.

From Wikipedia [as of March 9, 2011]: In the Latter Day Saint movement, the second anointing, also known historically and in Latter Day Saint scripture as the fullness of the priesthood, is an obscure and relatively rare ordinance usually conducted in temples as extension of the Nauvoo Endowment ceremony. Founder Joseph Smith, Jr. cited the "fullness of the priesthood" as one of the reasons for building the Nauvoo Temple (D&C 124:28). In the ordinance, a participant is anointed as a "priest and king" or a "priestess and queen", and is sealed to the highest degree of salvation available in Mormon theology. Those who participate in this ordinance are said to have their "calling and election made sure", and their celestial marriage "sealed by the holy spirit of promise". They are said to have received the "more sure word of prophecy".
http://www.mormonthink.com/glossary/secondendowment.htm

Book of Mormon
Alma 11:37: “And I say unto you again that he cannot save them in their sins; for I cannot deny his word, and he hath said that no unclean thing can inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore, how can ye be saved, except ye inherit the kingdom of heaven? Therefore, ye cannot be saved in your sins.”

How many Mormons become perfectly sinless?

The old article from Wikipedia and mormonthink is wrong. Neither of these sites are good places to look for actual LDS beliefs. LDS.ORG would be a good place. I don't know how many Mormons will become perfectly sinless. I do know that those who are under grace should not sin. I also know that those who love Jesus Christ are to keep the commandments:

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.