ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why do Christians bring up the 10 commandments when I say Mosaic Law? The Mosaic Law is 613 commandments. It has to do with incest being an abomination, the penalty for abortion, kindness to animals, care for the poor, and many other things.
God clearly gave 10 Commandments which were the main law. The other things were clarifications off of the 10

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Let me be sure I'm understanding you correctly. Before "coming to faith" we're under "instruction of Sin" - but after "coming to faith" we're no longer "in bondage" to "instruction of Sin": but after "coming to faith" we're still under the Torah of God. What happens if we "break the rules" after "coming into the faith"? If a Christian steals? What do you mean to not be "free from the Torah of God"? Is the Christian in bondage still, since he is not free?

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't say that the Law is temporary and passed away Jesus and the Bible say that.

Romans 7:6
6 But now, having died to what bound us, we have been released from the Law, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 8:2-3

For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the Law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man, as an offering for sin.

Hebrews 8:13
13 In speaking of a new covenant,” He has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Acts 15:10

The law is an unbearable yoke.

Romans 4:14

If the law worked then faith would be irrelevant.

Romans 5:20

The purpose of the law was to increase sin.

I just follow what the Bible tells me. It tells me the Law is in the past and now both Jew and Gentile are under the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You ARE aware, I'm sure, that the Apostles continued to make sacrifices after Christ ascended? (Acts 21, Paul goes to offer a sacrifice, stopped by force.)
Paul did not offer a sacrafice as in sacrifices.

Paul was going through ritual purification and that process and purification was what he offered.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A very thorough examination. Well done.

You conclude the Torah and instruction of Christ are the same thing. We agree Jesus taught the Torah. In Galatians 4:4-5 Paul explains how Jesus was born under law to redeem those under law. But Jesus taught so that the Jews would cry out for a better covenant. Galatians 3:24 explains how for Jews the Law is a tutor to lead them to Jesus, Who brings in the better covenant (Hebrews 7:22). It is not the same as the Torah, specifically the Mosaic covenant, it is New.

The laws in the Torah are good for unsaved Jews, that they will be brought to freedom in Christ. They are not for Gentiles, ever. Neither are they for saved Jews.

Upvote 0

Hawk Flint

דבון בן־אלהים
Aug 16, 2016
U. S.
✟11,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

If we break the rules, then we have forgiveness (I call it grace), provided that there is repentance. I don't know how much sin would place us back under under the Law of Sin and Death, but, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness. "

What do you mean to not be "free from the Torah of God"? Is the Christian in bondage still, since he is not free?

In bondage to God, slaves to righteousness. We present ourselves as slaves of righteousness to God, and His Law is what defines righteous living. He wants us to follow His Torah, to not sin; but to live righteous before Him. The Torah gives us freedom from God's wrath.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
God always created the Old Covenant and law to be temporary, just as the Levitical sacrifices by the high priests were temporary until the Messiah.
I believe I answered this elsewhere to you in this thread, but in case you didn't see it, I'll answer again.

You have no grounds to say this. In Matthew 5, Christ specifically says that the Law will not end until heaven and earth pass away. The disciples continued to offer sacrifices -- we see Paul preparing to offer a sacrifice in Acts 21, which was only prevented by force. It is only a matter of time before the Orthodox become the majority in Israel, rebuild the Temple, and resume sacrifices.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Surely if we have forgiveness then there's no way to be placed "back under the Law of Sin and Death" otherwise there isn't really forgiveness. I suppose my question is, what is the law actually for, in regards to the Christian? It doesn't seem the law is "to be obeyed, or else..." since no Christian keeps the law (or, none that I've met, anyway); and so the real focus is forgiveness. It's not "keeping the law" that does anything for the Christian, it's the forgiveness of God that does. Like the only thing that really matters is whether or not a person has forgiveness, regardless of whether or not he "obeys the written rules"

In other words, if a person can't keep the law, then what is the law actually for?

How do the rules give us freedom from wrath? Aren't the rules the very thing that causes wrath when we break them? Jesus went so far as to state that Moses is "the accuser": John 5:45. How can an "accuser" free us from wrath? Isn't an "accuser" the very one who intends to place us under wrath?

Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting the law isn't "good" and "holy": I don't think any Christian would dispute that the law is holy: but, what good is the law for "unholy" people who can't keep it? Except to "gender to wrath"? If God forgives the Christian when he breaks the rules, then what practical purpose does the law serve? I can understand the use of the law in convicting people of sin, but I'm not seeing how it has any other reason for being. It doesn't seem intended to be "obeyed" since no one fully obeys it by the letter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know of any Christians that are not interested in studying the Law.
Attend a class on the Torah at a synagogue and you will see a HUGE difference in the quality with the study of the Law with Christians. It's Day and Night.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it mean when it says "Law of sin and death" and why do you think it is the Mosaic covenant?

First I'd like to say that your reference to Matthew 5:18 is controversial among scholars. My understanding is that the law remained for Jesus to keep until He accomplished His purpose. He was making sure the Jews understood that He didn't come to change the law, but to fulfill its requirements and bring in a new covenant that is MUCH better.

Second the law of sin and death is mentioned in Romans 8:2. For context, Romans 8:1 says we are not condemned anymore (by the law). Romans 8:3 says the law was powerless to free us from sin. So It is in the midst of this Paul calls it the law of sin and death.

This notion is reiterated throughout Pauls writings. He calls it "the ministry of death engraved on stones" in 2 Corinthians 3:7 and says "The law was brought in that trespass might increase" in Romans 5:20. There are dozens of verses showing this, I've chosen the first two that come to mind.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
God clearly gave 10 Commandments which were the main law. The other things were clarifications off of the 10
Really? Which of the 10 commandments do the following fall under?
  • Sex with a menstruating wife is an abomination.
  • Tithe 10% for the levites and poor.
  • Abortion is a property crime.
  • One must shew away the mother bird before taking her eggs.
  • Leave the corners of your field unharvested for the poor.
  • Not to add to the Torah.
  • Bind Tefillin upon the arm.
  • Place a mezuzah upon the door.
  • Recite grace after meals.
  • Not to stand by idly when a life is in danger.
  • Not to take revenge.
  • Not to bear a grudge.
  • To love the Stranger.
  • Etc.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Again, what do you think the Law of sin and death is? And why do you think it is Mosaic Law?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Paul did not offer a sacrafice as in sacrifices.

Paul was going through ritual purification and that process and purification was what he offered.
Read the text. The ritual purification involved a sacrifice.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Law is obsolete in the fact that no one is held to the law after Jesus Christ. Jesus brought both sheep pens under Him. The High Priest.

There is no more Old Covenant, only the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, what do you think the Law of sin and death is? And why do you think it is Mosaic Law?
It is the law given to Moses, the covenant made between God and Moses on behalf of the Israelites. I think it is this law because of the multitude of passages written by Paul. Do you want me to list them? There are dozens.

Upvote 0