May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have questions about the "rules" and the "law" given in order to fulfill the word of the new covenant. Here are some verses I'm pondering:

Romans 3:27

What is the difference between the "law of works" and the "law of faith"? What are the "laws" of each, and how does the latter "exclude boasting"?

Romans 7:25

As above, what is the difference between the "law of God" and the "law of sin"?

Romans 8:2

The same question: what is the difference between the "law of the Spirt of life in Christ Jesus" and the "law of sin and death"; and how does the former "liberate" from the latter?

James 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

What is the "law of liberty"? Does it have "rules"? How do rules liberate? Are rules not, restrictive? Chains?

When answering, please be as specific as possible so that one might know what "rules" they are under and if they are obligated to perform these rules, and the consequence of not doing so. If one has placed themselves under a set of rules to follow, how is boasting "excluded" from one's ability to perform these rules?

Bonus question: if there is no consensus given in the thread as to the "rules" of the new covenant; how can a man be sure he is following the right rules?

This is a really good bunch of questions. I'm not a theologian, but while studying the NT alongside Orthodox Judaism, I've concluded that our works in Christ and how closely and sacrificially obey Him as opposed to obeying our flesh, desires, ambitions, culture, or society's norms has a huge impact on where we end up after death. This would probably negate any kind of sola fide view, unless your definitions are stretchy like putty.

Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
And later in Acts he testifies in court that he believes and has kept the Law. Did he lie?

Acts 24:14 I firmly believe the Jewish law and everything written in the prophets.

Acts 25:8 Then Paul made his defense: "I have done nothing wrong against the Jewish law or against the temple"

Who is right, Acts or Paul?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do you personally reconcile Acts 24:14, yeshuaslavejeff?
I don't .

Why should I or anyone try to ? Do you have unbelief about God's Word ?

God's Word is Truth, and this never changes. Our faith is in God, through Jesus, (or should be).

Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Do you have unbelief about God's Word ?

God's Word is Truth, and this never changes. Our faith is in God, through Jesus, (or should be).

Nope, I don't. Jesus is our One Shepherd. "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of Eternal Life."

What I cannot reconcile, I set aside for a time when my understanding may change. I have grown through many things. I have come a 360 on at least one thing. I follow the One Shepherd called Jesus, and let Him be my yardstick against which all others are measured.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Nope, I don't. Jesus is our One Shepherd. "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of Eternal Life."

What I cannot reconcile, I set aside for a time when my understanding may change. I have grown through many things. I have come a 360 on at least one thing. I follow the One Shepherd called Jesus, and let Him be my yardstick against which all others are measured.
Good then, I think.
The apparent need you saw to reconcile something will easily be resolved once it is understood as Yahweh grants understanding, knowledge and wisdom in Jesus Messiah Savior. (as I think you are saying)

"Contradictions" abound due to so many false teachers (like in another thread(s) about Elihu),
but in truth there is no contradiction in God's Word ---- only men make a mess of it many times.

• Agree
Reactions: gomerian
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Paul is the most suspect becasue he doesn't treat people
as he would wish people to treat him. At least that how
he writes. Assuming he did write what we think he did.
Do we have his permission to read his letters?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have questions about the "rules" and the "law" given in order to fulfill the word of the new covenant. Here are some verses I'm pondering:

Romans 3:27

What is the difference between the "law of works" and the "law of faith"? What are the "laws" of each, and how does the latter "exclude boasting"?

Romans 7:25

As above, what is the difference between the "law of God" and the "law of sin"?

Romans 8:2

The same question: what is the difference between the "law of the Spirt of life in Christ Jesus" and the "law of sin and death"; and how does the former "liberate" from the latter?

James 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

What is the "law of liberty"? Does it have "rules"? How do rules liberate? Are rules not, restrictive? Chains?

When answering, please be as specific as possible so that one might know what "rules" they are under and if they are obligated to perform these rules, and the consequence of not doing so. If one has placed themselves under a set of rules to follow, how is boasting "excluded" from one's ability to perform these rules?

Bonus question: if there is no consensus given in the thread as to the "rules" of the new covenant; how can a man be sure he is following the right rules?

The Holy Spirit provides the laws to write in your heart.
You sin if you go against those laws.
Only you can correctly identify sin in your life.
Others may have clues or theories for your actions
but they are in no position to judge your alleged sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no contradiction. Clearly Paul believed that Jewish believers should keep their Jewish identity and continue observing Torah -- he certainly did (I have already quoted the verses to support this). And he taught that Gentiles do not need to become Jews -- they are not obligated to become circumcised and follow Jewish law (virtually all his letters contain this topic).

For the record, I don't think Paul meant this as an absolute. I think there are Gentiles that are unusually drawn to Torah and Israel. If they wish to voluntarily take on observance, more power to them, so long as they aren't following the Law to earn salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think there are Gentiles that are unusually drawn to Torah and Israel. If they wish to voluntarily take on observance, more power to them, so long as they aren't following the Law to earn salvation.

Jesus says that no man comes to the Father but by Him, and that the Father Himself draws us. Jesus says that the men that the Father gave Him were the Father's men. I can see no way for that to be true if they hadn't been already learning of the Father from the Law of Moses. It's said that John's parents were blameless, which explains what Jesus says about John. And they followed the Law.

Jesus says that the Holy Spirit is given to those who love Him and keep His Commandments. The Law written on our heart Commands that we keep His word... just as the Law written on stone Commanded that we keep the 10. Revelation proves that these things are true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Good idea, for sure.

The Law which Jesus has come to strengthen is written in stone. Since those who quote Jesus also say that the Law is gone, they have trapped themselves. At some point, they will either have do to the work to reconcile what Jesus says with the letters which teach anomia, or they will have to deny Jesus. God will not allow them to forever straddle the fence.

Upvote 0