Which historical period will you like to visit?

GlobalWolf2010 said:
If I have to pick one time period, then Rome during the middle of the 4th century. I would have to pack plenty of gold solidi so that I could travel, because I would want to hit all of the major areas. The city of Rome (including a visit to Old St. Peter's), Constantinople, the grain belts of Africa, the wine producing villas of France, etc. If I got lucky enough, I could even discuss theology with some of the greatest theologians of all time while I was visiting the East.

If I get to pick more than one time period (and assuming that "historical" means "in the past" rather than actually historical), then I would want to see ice age Europe and the Cambrian era. I don't really have a desire to see most ancient societies other than Rome, which is ironic considering that I'm actually going to be graduating with a history degree in December, but very ancient Israel could be interesting (say, around the time period discussed by the Book of Judges).

your sincere consideration will definitely be appreciated by me.

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would like to see North America (preferably Southern Appalachian or Smoky Mtn. area, but North America in general o.k.) before 1492, when the American Indian ruled the roost, the land and water was pristine, the forests were for the most part (except where the Indians cleared it) were all virgin forests, the tulip poplar trees towering 200 or more feet higher, not a great deal smaller than the Sequoia trees of California are now (well still smaller, but way bigger than you have anywhere now east of Mississippi) and chestnuts not blighted yet, animals and birds (including passenger pigeons and Carolina parakeets) were everywhere, elk (not the re-introduced ones, although I also like them) were as much a part of the Eastern Forests as the Rocky Mtns., and you could drink out of virtually ANY stream without getting the "runs".

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’d like to go to America, and live all the way through the period from 1945 until about 1975. It’d be really interesting to see (first-hand) the changes that took place, as well as how the cold war affected the mentality of the people.

An evil part of me would also like to be an aristocrat in Louis XIV’s France, just to enjoy the debauchery and blissful ignorance.
I would love to have met both Cassanova and The Marquis de Sade. (no wonder old Benjamin Franklin liked being America's first ambassador to France!).^_^;):D

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd also like to go back to 2 specific times, and then return to the present:

1) December, 1967. I'd scrounge up a little over $4,000 and bring it with me. I'd buy 200 shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock, which was then selling for $20.50/share. It's now > $150,000/share. On my return, my 4K investment would be worth > $30,000,000.

2) April, 2003. First, I'd sell enough Berkshire Hathaway to buy 100,000 shares of Apple, which was then just over $6.50. Even with its big decline from last summer, my investment is now worth $42,000,000.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the American Revolution, more specifically for me, I'd love to be in Philadelphia in 1787 to be at the Constitutional Convention and see the framers in action as they work out the details of our great nation's central government. Aside from that, probably the 80's in America, just seems like a simpler time back then.

The idea of a language translator is genius! In almost any time before recent, you'd probably be killed if you couldn't communicate properly.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd also like to go back to 2 specific times, and then return to the present:

1) December, 1967. I'd scrounge up a little over $4,000 and bring it with me. I'd buy 200 shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock, which was then selling for $20.50/share. It's now > $150,000/share. On my return, my 4K investment would be worth > $30,000,000.

2) April, 2003. First, I'd sell enough Berkshire Hathaway to buy 100,000 shares of Apple, which was then just over $6.50. Even with its big decline from last summer, my investment is now worth $42,000,000.
This too is pure genius:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good choise Crudo. I'd also go back to the Civil War Era to fight alongside general Robert E. Lee, and then go fight the Israel Independance war. Also meeting Hitler would be pretty nice.
The first two (Robert E. Lee and Isreal Independence) would be o.k., but I don't really think I would want to personally meet Hitler, unless he was on the receiving end of an M-1 rifle or .45 Thompson sub-machine gun that I was holding.

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The first two (Robert E. Lee and Isreal Independence) would be o.k., but I don't really think I would want to personally meet Hitler, unless he was on the receiving end of an M-1 rifle or .45 Thompson sub-machine gun that I was holding.

He's a great public speaker. I could learn a lot from him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, there is one in Washington D.C. that is a great public speaker, especially with a teleprompter, that one could watch and learn a lot from (then again, maybe not).

Oh you mean the drone president or the food stamps president? xD. "uuuh ummm"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm having difficulty picking just one thing, so I'll go with my current interest:

1914-1924: I'd like to see how things were at the outbreak of WWI, and then see WWI, and the rise of the Soviet Union through the death of Lenin. This is assuming my time machine also had the ability to jump around from place to place.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you have a time machine, and can travel to the past, which historical period will you prefer to visit? And why?

(Let's assume at the same time, you have a language translator that will allow you to communicate with the people in the past.)
Truthfully,

I'd do what used to happen with shows like Super-Bool
Didn't know that. I guess the Avengers would win.

Truthfully, I'd do a review of history travels throughout the entire Bible - from Genesis to the Early Church (around 1,000 yrs total) - and I'd investigate the setting for all the Biblical stories ...from Abraham to Joseph to Moses....David...Daniel...and all the way to Christ :)

And as it concerns history in general, I'd think the Renaissance era would be pretty amazing to investigate. I'd consider the Dark Ages as a spot to drop in on briefly just to see what it was like - and have a better appreciation for how things improved.

Another point in time historically I would've loved would be seeing Native American culture prior to the people from the Old World coming over to colonize - and I would've loved to see what empires were present in the Native American world (or African or Chinese) since I'd have better understanding of what parts of history were left out.

Some days I wish I had the power of time-travel so that I could not be limited in access/discovery of time review - and from a humorous standpoint, I've often thought of how cool it'd be to be one of the people in comic book history who did that - known as Kang the Conqueror---the Master of Time...The foremost time traveler in the Marvel Universe and arguably the Avengers greatest foe, one who has amassed an empire with a citizenry of millions/terrorized for ages. ...

1257.jpg

kang.gif

Kang%20the%20Conqueror.jpg

detail.jpg

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'd like to visit Arabia hundreds of years ago and get video proof for some angry black folks to show them that White people weren't the ones who had black slaves, so they can go complain to someone else for a change.

Upvote 0