Which flavor of operating system does everyone here use?

Your OS?

• Total voters

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When you install an operating system into VMware it will be called a Virtual Machine. The operating system itself will be installed into what is called a sand box, which means the OS is only operating in that box and nowhere else on your system. When you install a Virtual Machine you will be asked several questions like: how much RAM do you want to use, how much hard drive space do you want to give the Virtual Machine and so on. For example my Windows 98SE Virtual Machine uses 512 MB of RAM and 1 GB of hard drive space. In order to go in and out of the Virtual Machine, you only need to move the mouse outside of the window. Microsoft does not support or sell older operating systems, but there are web sites that offer them for free for personal use. winworld .com is the most popular one.

Here is an example of how VMware will look when you have several operating systems installed. Also below is a screenshot of Windows 98SE on my Windows 10 PC.

View attachment 296436

View attachment 296437
So its exactly as if you are loading a brand new OS and you need that license number, not the proper wording as I can't remember the name of the required license for use.
So that confuses me as legally you are supposed to be able to use an OS only once and it won't accept your using the number twice.

Upvote 0

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So its exactly as if you are loading a brand new OS and you need that license number, not the proper wording as I can't remember the name of the required license for use.
So that confuses me as legally you are supposed to be able to use an OS only once and it won't accept your using the number twice.

Yes you will need a license key for the OS.

I'm not sure how the Microsoft licensing works in the U.S., but here in Germany you can resell your operating system and the license key, as long as the key is only used on one PC at a time. I'm also not sure about the legality of using the same key for Windows 98 on multiple PCs. It is an operating system that is not being sold anymore and Microsoft does not track the installation of those keys. Those keys can be used on multiple PCs because there is no activation needed. Regarding the legality, that's something that you might have to research on the web, or you can purchase a Windows 98/XP copy and key on Ebay. I checked on the prices and for Windows 98, it costs between $50 and $80. Not sure why the price is so high in the U.S., you can get an original, sealed copy of Windows 98 here on Ebay for as little as 20 Euros. Fortunately I have never had this issue because I still have all of my original Windows software versions and keys. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Some flavor of the Linux kernel. I've been into Linux and BSD since 2002.

My machines are temperamental, hardly work with any peripheral devices, aren't good for much other than browsing the Internet in text mode and streaming bad digital music.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes you will need a license key for the OS.

I'm not sure how the Microsoft licensing works in the U.S., but here in Germany you can resell your operating system and the license key, as long as the key is only used on one PC at a time. I'm also not sure about the legality of using the same key for Windows 98 on multiple PCs. It is an operating system that is not being sold anymore and Microsoft does not track the installation of those keys. Those keys can be used on multiple PCs because there is no activation needed. Regarding the legality, that's something that you might have to research on the web, or you can purchase a Windows 98/XP copy and key on Ebay. I checked on the prices and for Windows 98, it costs between $50 and $80. Not sure why the price is so high in the U.S., you can get an original, sealed copy of Windows 98 here on Ebay for as little as 20 Euros. Fortunately I have never had this issue because I still have all of my original Windows software versions and keys. :D
Thanks for getting back with me and I am sorry it took so long to respond. I have had my head in trying to find an answer to the hamster virus that hit my computer. I will be posting about it here and hope for an answer.
Your country is lenient. There is definitely many restraints here. I have a win7 with key that never has been used and I am getting obstacles from the powers that be. I am planning on trying to use it again and I know I will be met with objections. Its a timely process. It has never came to fruition but still there are watch dogs on a persons use. Maybe I should live in Germany:)
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I am an official convert to the ubuntu distrobution called WindowsFx. It allows windows programs to be installed. Best of all, its Linux and it looks and feels like Windows 10 but has everything one would need preinstalled! Its awesome! Check it out: http://www.linuxfx.org

Upvote 0

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I am an official convert to the ubuntu distrobution called WindowsFx. It allows windows programs to be installed. Best of all, its Linux and it looks and feels like Windows 10 but has everything one would need preinstalled! Its awesome! Check it out: http://www.linuxfx.org

If it looks and feel like Windows 10, why not just use Windows 10?

If it's because of the Windows 10 menu, there are apps for that...such as Start10.

Upvote 0

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not like Windows 10. Way too bloated. Not to mention this system is Linux.

Not trying to sound cocky...but if you think Windows 10 is bloated, then get rid of the bloat...it's not that difficult.

If you are using Linux because you think it is more stable or secure, then you are mistaken. The operating system is only as stable and secure as the user allows it to be. I have been using Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8 and 10 from conception and have never experienced a crash or have I ever had any virus. I have many software applications and games installed...and no problems what-so-ever. I'll admit that some OS updates caused some problems, but those were easily corrected.

I also agree that earlier versions of Windows (98 first edition and ME) were buggy, but for me I haven't had any problems with Windows after the Windows 2000 version.

I'm not saying I don't like Linux or any other open source OS...I think most of them are fantastic alternatives. But, in my opinion, I still think Windows is a much better operating system.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟423,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@Dreams65 ,
While I respect your opinion, I disagree on the security of Linux. Linux has very little issues with crashing, viruses, spyware, etc. Yeah sure sometimes a virus or malware comes onto a Linux system, but that is few and far between. With Windows you need security software on the machine. With Linux you don't. I also love Linux because of its customizational abilities. Its a personal choice for me to use Linux and I will stand by the ever ongoing work of individuals who stick it to corperations like Microsoft.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Linux is many more times stable and secure than any version of Windows. There are no viruses, malware, or spyware on Linux unlike Windows. The update problems were not easily corrected always and bugs still exist the Microsoft has never fixed. When Linux has a problem because so many eyes are on it, the problem gets fixed in a matter of hours not days or weeks like in Windows.

There may be reason to use Windows like some games but Windows in itself is inherently buggy because of the closed nature, combined with the fact that you can not completely prevent Windows from calling home which can be a potential Security risk.

Windows will not let you do what you want to your computer nor do you own any of the software or Windows, with Linux it is yours to do as you like and you own it lock, stock, and barrel

This guy talks about why he switched from Windows to Linux and makes a good case. Now I know this is his reasons but he makes some great points and even I switched 24 years ago for some of the same reasons. Hopefully you'll give it a watch and not dismiss it outright:

Upvote 0

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no viruses, malware, or spyware on Linux unlike Windows.

That is patently false.

1. Malware exists for Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Symbian, Gaming Consoles, hard drives, and bios.

2. Linux is an extremely popular operating system for hackers. There are two main reasons behind this. First off, Linux’s source code is freely available because it is an open source operating system. This means that Linux is very easy to modify or customize. Second, there are countless Linux security distros available that can double as Linux hacking software.

Generally speaking, there are two types of Linux hacking: hacking done by hobbyists and hacking done by malicious actors. Hobbyists are often hackers looking for new solutions to software problems or tinkerers looking for new uses for their software/hardware. Malicious actors use Linux hacking tools to exploit vulnerabilities in Linux applications, software, and networks. This type of Linux hacking is done in order to gain unauthorized access to systems and steal data.

3. Linux isn't really more secure than Windows. It's really more a matter of scope than anything. No matter what malware, exploits, and bad users exist EVERYWHERE. One being more secure than the other is nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

No operating system is more secure than any other, the difference is in the number of attacks and scope of attacks. As a point you should look at the number of viruses for Linux and for Windows. You'll see a trend in that Windows has FAR more viruses for it than Linux does and that's purely because it's more lucrative to hack for Windows since you have a greater chance of getting the thing you want.

4. Really however OS security comes down to usage, habits, behaviour, and users just as much as it does software, hardware, security, and passwords.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is patently false.

It is not false. There are no viruses for Linux in the wild, nor is there malware or spyware. On Windows there are many. What is false is the lunacy that Windows is better than secure Linux and customizable. What is false is the lunacy that Windows keeps your info private. Windows will never be as good as Linux

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is not false. There are no viruses for Linux in the wild, nor is there malware or spyware. On Windows there are many. What is false is the lunacy that Windows is better than secure Linux and customizable. What is false is the lunacy that Windows keeps your info private. Windows will never be as good as Linux
There have been some nasty rootkits that have gotten out from time to time. Regular security patches are quite necessary for a reason. Fortunately, the preferred way of installing and updating software on Linux makes obtaining these updates very easy, once those updates come out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟423,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all,
Well I am proud of myself. I learned something new yesterday! I have an early 2006 imac and I installed the mac osx lion onto it first. Then I used Boot Camp and successfully installed Windows 7 with the boot camp program onto the imac. Windows 7 is on its own partition and mac osx is on the other. I like this. I did not know how easy this process is! So I am glad I learned something new ;)

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I am a diehard Fedora fan (Red Hat's community distribution) and have been using it for many years. I use the default Workstation version which has recently been upgraded! Enjoying the benefits of Wayland, Pipewire, BTRFS, good flatpak support and the latest Gnome 40 desktop.

Still safer than windows
I agree with you. Although Linux is not completely impenetrable to malicious code, malware and viruses, the risks are far better controlled. The access control security policies are very tight and robust. There is a streamlined method of installing and updating software packages, which is only made available in the repos after undergoing rigorous security and quality screening. And being open source, there is a culture of transparency where code can be shared and scrutinised. The sheer diversity of Linux systems helps to limit the proliferation and spread of viruses and malware, since a software package on one system is often binary incompatible with another.

Ultimately any computer system is only as secure as the user wants it to be. Installing software from an unknown source is a bit like handing the keys of your car to a complete stranger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
@Dreams65 ,
While I respect your opinion, I disagree on the security of Linux. Linux has very little issues with crashing, viruses, spyware, etc. Yeah sure sometimes a virus or malware comes onto a Linux system, but that is few and far between. With Windows you need security software on the machine. With Linux you don't. I also love Linux because of its customizational abilities. Its a personal choice for me to use Linux and I will stand by the ever ongoing work of individuals who stick it to corperations like Microsoft.

God bless.
I agree with you. No computer is totally crash proof but Linux is very impressive when it comes to stability and reliability. It should definitely be the first choice for people who need to carry out mission critical tasks without downtime. It's not surprising that most of the world's supercomputers use it - even the International Space Station!

Unlike Mac or Windows, with Linux you can customise just about every part of the system. I am quite happy with my own vanilla GNOME set up, but if I want my computer to look and behave like a Mac, there are plenty of shell extensions, GTK and icon themes to make that possible. With customisation, your imagination is the limit! All it takes is opening up the appropriate CSS or JS file in your text editor and then making and saving the changes. No proprietary system I know offers this level of customisation or flexibility.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am a diehard Fedora fan (Red Hat's community distribution) and have been using it for many years. I use the default Workstation version which has recently been upgraded! Enjoying the benefits of Wayland, Pipewire, BTRFS, good flatpak support and the latest Gnome 40 desktop.
Gnome was my favorite before they messed up the desktop.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Gnome was my favorite before they messed up the desktop.
When Gnome 3 was introduced for the first time, back in 2011, it looked absolutely dreadful and it is no wonder that its lack of features and functionality left many users feeling frustrated and alienated. I remember the advertising campaign "getting things done" - but the reality was that very little could be done because the features to do anything had been removed!
But the Gnome OS has moved on and evolved since then.
The changes back in 2011 were very controversial, but in a way they were inevitable. As mobile computing became increasingly popular, with more people doing work "on the go" - on laptops, tablets and touchscreen devices, the OS had to adapt to new ways of working. Gnome 2 was hugely successful and I often wondered why there was a need to "reinvent the wheel" with Gnome 3.
But now I can see why. At home I have both a desktop PC and a touchscreen laptop. The majority of my daily computing tasks are done on my laptop and I think that is true for most people. Sometimes I use a mouse or the touch pad, but sometimes it is much quicker, easier and feels more natural to touch and swipe the screen using finger gestures. Try doing that with Cinnamon, KDE, Mate, XFCE - and I think you will soon find yourself pulling your hair out!
The traditional "desktop metaphor" of having multiple open windows, endless rows of icons and shortcuts displayed on the screen, crowded panels and complex nested menus - all driven by the use of a mouse. That was great back in the 1990s when our computers were mainly stationary, located in rooms and offices, connected directly to modems and printers. But this is 2021 and how times have changed! These days we do computing "on the go" and how this has revolutionised the way we do things.

Upvote 0