Which flavor of operating system does everyone here use?

Your OS?

• Total voters

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The only problem with that is it leaves the data you have in /var intact. If you want complete destruction of a system, you have to take care of /var first.
I'll have to try that.
Just a minute.

Oh, what have I done .......

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Microsoft bought Canonical, the parent of Ubuntu, in 2016. Which doesn't sit well with Linux purists. Imagine if the Southern Baptist Convention reported to a Vatican office. Lots of Linux users are very unecumenical. If we do have to use Windows we like to wash our hands afterwards.

Actually that was an April Fools joke from four years ago. That Microsoft bought it and was going to shut Ubuntu down. Not so. Their real issue is that Ubuntu seems to not play well with the other Linux distros and they invent their own workarounds rather than contributing to finding common Linux solutions all can use. They are a bit schismatic in that regard and the Linux Oecumene doesn't like them.

I suggested Ubuntu as a trial distro on a flash drive. For a real installation I would go with Debian or Fedora. Of course there are hundreds of Distros and Unixes too, so there is something for every taste and preference. Kind of like all the varieties of Protestantism.
I think I might try out Mint. How does Linux differ from Windows in security?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Microsoft bought Canonical, the parent of Ubuntu, in 2016. Which doesn't sit well with Linux purists. Imagine if the Southern Baptist Convention reported to a Vatican office. Lots of Linux users are very unecumenical. If we do have to use Windows we like to wash our hands afterwards.

Actually that was an April Fools joke from four years ago. That Microsoft bought it and was going to shut Ubuntu down. Not so. Their real issue is that Ubuntu seems to not play well with the other Linux distros and they invent their own workarounds rather than contributing to finding common Linux solutions all can use. They are a bit schismatic in that regard and the Linux Oecumene doesn't like them.

I suggested Ubuntu as a trial distro on a flash drive. For a real installation I would go with Debian or Fedora. Of course there are hundreds of Distros and Unixes too, so there is something for every taste and preference. Kind of like all the varieties of Protestantism.
But it's all still Linux. ;)

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
What makes Canonical evil?

Canonical has since rescinded their Amazon "feature," but the fact that they did it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of Linux people, myself included. And don't get me started on the fact that they stole from Debian what they wanted and made a buggy OS that is supposed to be "user-friendly" yet can't even do a simple version upgrade without pooping the bed... (at least last I checked)

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
But it's all still Linux. ;)

The fact that hundreds of Linux distros exist annoys me as much as the fact that thousands of Christian denominations exist. If we are honest with ourselves, about the only things that differ between distros are package managers, eye candy (or lack thereof, as the case may be with "vanilla" distros like Gentoo, Void and Arch), and rarely init. I happen to like pacman and hate systemd, so Artix it is for me. Void is an independent distro that I also like. For the vast majority of people, Debian is fine. Or if you're averse to the CLI, Mint, preferably the Debian version so as to avoid Canonical's nonsense.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Also, I am in school, and the most painless way I can do school work is via Office 365, which I believe I get for free. That makes me somewhat hesitant to hop on a new OS

You can use the browser version if that's enough for you. Otherwise, there are a number of office suites available in Linux that work pretty well with M$ Office, though some of them are not free as in freedom.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's connected to the way software is distributed, which is the biggest difference. Linux -does- let you install software the Windows way - download the program and then run an installer, and be responsible for all the updates yourself - but it is thoroughly inferior from the correct way to install software on Linux.

The correct way is to use a community-approved repository. These come pre-installed with most distros now. It's a searchable library of free software that you can freely install. You search for the software you want to install, put in your password, and the distro's installer will install the software and its dependencies. And the beauty of it is, it will check those repositories every day for updates, and if anything has an update pending, it will tell you what has the update, you put in your password, and then it automatically downloads and installs it. You don't ever have to worry about security breaches from a program you haven't used in six months again.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, I'm willing to bet that CF's servers are running Linux (along with the vast majority of servers on the Internet). You do the math.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can use the browser version if that's enough for you. Otherwise, there are a number of office suites available in Linux that work pretty well with M$ Office, though some of them are not free as in freedom.
Perhaps I could just dual-boot. Windows for school and Linux for misc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The fact that hundreds of Linux distros exist annoys me as much as the fact that thousands of Christian denominations exist. If we are honest with ourselves, about the only things that differ between distros are package managers, eye candy (or lack thereof, as the case may be with "vanilla" distros like Gentoo, Void and Arch), and rarely init. I happen to like pacman and hate systemd, so Artix it is for me. Void is an independent distro that I also like. For the vast majority of people, Debian is fine. Or if you're averse to the CLI, Mint, preferably the Debian version so as to avoid Canonical's nonsense.
So you're a cafeteria Linux user?

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
//
cd /
sudo rm -rf *.*
//
BETTER THAN A HAMMER
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
DO NOT TRY THIS AT WORK
DO NOT TRY THIS AT A FRIEND'S HOUSE
Hopefully you don't know how to set sudo up if you don't know what this command does

I mean...

$ su
# rm -rf /*

Just skip that sissy sudo stuff. :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's how a lot of people do it. Be sure to turn off Fast Boot in Windows 10 first. Not doing that caused snags for me on my Win 10 machine.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
So you're a cafeteria Linux user?

I don't know what that means. I use what I like. Most distros are nothing except a certain package manager shipped with certain desktop environments or window managers and some pretty eye candy. Totally unnecessary. I use what I use because I like pacman and I like OpenRC.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate

Watch out... you may find yourself deleting your Windows partition after a few months!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know what that means. I use what I like. Most distros are nothing except a certain package manager shipped with certain desktop environments or window managers and some pretty eye candy. Totally unnecessary.
Well, since double-entendres were being made between Linux and Christianity, I thought I'd wedge a variation of "cafeteria Catholic" in there. Talking about Linux practices only, of course. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: SeraphimSarov
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I’m probably not going to do any dual-booting on my laptop, and my desktop isn’t available for use until I’ve gotten a new desk
If you have enough CPU cores and RAM on that laptop, you can install VirtualBox and install your distro of choice as a guest OS. Very easy, and comparatively much lower risk.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you have enough CPU cores and RAM on that laptop, you can install VirtualBox and install your distro of choice as a guest OS. Very easy, and comparatively much lower risk.
I don’t think that laptop’s received an upgrade since I got it, which was probably 3-4 yrs ago. It’s also seen a lot of physical damage

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don’t think that laptop’s received an upgrade since I got it, which was probably 3-4 yrs ago. It’s also seen a lot of physical damage
If you have 4+ CPU cores and 8+ GB of RAM, you can still make it happen. You might be able to get away with a little less RAM if the distro you intend to run is very lightweight (which many of the more famous ones that are oriented towards noobs aren't).

Upvote 0