• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Which fasting calendar do you use?

Discussion in 'St. Athanasius Chapel and Reference Library' started by Principal Moo, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Principal Moo

Principal Moo St. Alexius, pray for me! Supporter

+160
    Viet Nam
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hello everyone,

I'm still trying to learn about fasting, but it seems like most fasting calendars are different. For example, I looked at two calendars yesterday. One of them said that yesterday (Monday, the 29th) was a fast-free period while the other said that it was a strict fast.

So, I was hoping that some of you could share any fasting calendars that you use.

Thank you in advance for your help.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+12,092
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    follow the fasting that your priest tells you to do.

3. Principal Moo

Principal Moo St. Alexius, pray for me! Supporter

+160
    Viet Nam
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Unfortunately, my priest lives in Russia and I live in Vietnam. He is only able to visit every months. I have emailed questions, but he has not been able to respond (I know that he is extremely busy).

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+12,092
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    then I would follow standard Russian practice until you can contact/talk to him

5. Unlearner

Unlearner Servant of God, Basil

+56
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I asked a similar question to my priest a week or two ago because depending on which source I looked at for the Greek Archdiocese, I got different answers (strict, fish allowed, oil allowed).

He told me what he expects the people of the parish to follow and that was that. I have to say so far I have appreciated the Orthodox approach to discipline that is very pastorally sensitive and avoids legalism.

6. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,701
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Very true. I have to agree with you that I appreciate that also.