Which do you most regular read?

When it comes to reading the OT which do you generally use?

• Translation from Masoretic Text only (or you read the Hebrew)

• Translation from mixed Hebrew only texts.

• Translation from the Aramaic (or you read the Aramaic) (including Samaritan Pentateuch)

• Translation of the Septuagint (or you read the Greek).

• Translation based on multiple linguistic sources.

• I don't have a clue I never thought about it / Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nowadays I don't think that any translations of the OT are done solely using the Masoretic Texts. They tend to use the Masoretic Texts as a base, and then compare them to other texts for clarity. Thus I never use a "Masoretic-only" OT. I also have a translation of the LXX. I typically go between a LXX translation and the NKJV.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

OH! There's a poll. Now I feel silly.

I either read the BHS which is basically the Masoretic Text testified by the Codex Leningradensis, or the NJPS English Translation based on the same, or the ESV and NRSV based on critical reconstructions based on multiple source, the latter of which most likely best represent the original documents.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any critical Hebrew texts out there. You have to know how to operate the critical apparatus in the BHS.

Upvote 0

TheGMan

Follower of Jesus of Nazareth
Aug 25, 2005
London
✟9,761.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
My most referred-to Tanakh is the JPS translation (with the Hebrew). If I'm doing some serious cross-referencing I'll work with the Masoretic and the LXX (usually online with the NRSV in parallel because neither my Hebrew nor Greek are good enough to do without that crutch).

Upvote 0