Lompoc
✟16,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to open a debate, but not sure if this is right place as there is a debate section .. But its read only. So if this thread needs to be moved or if there is a better place to start this, let me know.
My debate is on Mathew 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ
Studying this in the Greek, I believe the meaning is Messiah or anointed one. Although I believe some will call themselves the Christ but I think this is referring mostly to people who claim to be the official source from Christ. Much like we see today with most of the Churches.
What do you think?

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe the meaning is Messiah
Just as in His day, people were looking for a world leader, a messiah who would save them from tyranny, hence salvation. We have had a continuous stream of worldly messiahs who however were restricted to 'saving' their nations or empires as they led and expanded claiming they were the ones to make things better. None in their times would classify as a global messiah to rival Jesus as a global Saviour until today and the irony is that the ones claiming that status today as saviours of the world, are not political leaders but business leaders who for the first time in history represent a global government they call Corporatism which has amalgamated nations , religions and businesses alike. This is not God's Kingdom but a kingdom build upon the self serving ways of man, the ultimate representation of the world we have built in our own image.

Whether or not this global entity will be the final false messiah remains to be seen. But not only is it truly a global entity with the power to oppress all in the name of salvation (as mankind always does), but it also has overcome the fact that leaders in the past had their saviour status limited to their personal lifespan. It died with them. God's built in safety feature. This new entity however which has been centuries in the making is not dependant upon any one person at the moment for leadership, but is an entity unto itself. No one within is a messiah/saviour. Take one out and another steps in to replace them as builders of this human conceived behemoth, Corporatism moving forward unharmed. A global scale of previous limited empires such as the Roman or British models. It is easy to dismantle a human from power, but not such a global entity that has been centuries in the making. It may be claiming saviour status but it is definitely not His Kingdom Come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would like to open a debate, but not sure if this is right place as there is a debate section .. But its read only. So if this thread needs to be moved or if there is a better place to start this, let me know.
Studying this in the Greek, I believe the meaning is Messiah or anointed one. Although I believe some will call themselves the Christ but I think this is referring mostly to people who claim to be the official source from Christ. Much like we see today with most of the Churches.
What do you think?

Not really the right place for this topic, no.

But short answer: The word christos (English: Christ) in Greek is simply a translation of the Hebrew word meshiach (English: Messiah), both mean "anointed". You can translate the passage as those who come calling themselves the messiah, it's a simple warning against those who claim to be the messiah.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
1676106512616.png

This thread has been moved to General Theology
for a better fit and more responses.
Mod hat off​

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think?

It's probably talking about people like Simon bar Giora, John of Giscala, Menahem ben Judah, and Simon bar Kochba. It may be even referring directly to one or more of those specific individuals.

A more [relatively] recent figure might be someone like Sabbatai Zevi.

Upvote 0