Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I belong to a large Contemporary Christian Church, Baptist but the main focus is positive messages that relate to the real world. My issue is the Book of Revelation is never discussed, or anything in regards to Prophecy. It doesn't have to be a weekly thing but I think it's important to cover every book of the Bible.
My question is, which denominations do? I live in south eastern Massachusetts so my options are limited.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I belong to a large Contemporary Christian Church, Baptist but the main focus is positive messages that relate to the real world. My issue is the Book of Revelation is never discussed, or anything in regards to Prophecy. It doesn't have to be a weekly thing but I think it's important to cover every book of the Bible.
My question is, which denominations do? I live in south eastern Massachusetts so my options are limited.
You might have hit on the reason why it is not covered.

If it does not have a real life application, there's nothing to teach.

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You might have hit on the reason why it is not covered.

If it does not have a real life application, there's nothing to teach.
It all seems too much like the self help section of Barnes & Noble, services can focus on the ills of the world and how they affect us, but no one focuses on those parts of the Bible that focuses on the ills of the world. Are they worried about scaring members away with fire and brimstone discussions?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It all seems too much like the self help section of Barnes & Noble, services can focus on the ills of the world and how they affect us, but no one focuses on those parts of the Bible that focuses on the ills of the world. Are they worried about scaring members away with fire and brimstone discussions?
There's plenty of fire and brimstone in the gospels, if that's what you're looking for.

I've just noticed in my time in the faith, whenever eschatology is discussed, this precludes any actual application of scripture. It's disturbing.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I suspect you may find what you are looking for in more fundamentalist oriented bodies, such as those more aligned with the Pentecostal movement(s). As others have said, mainline churches are apt to include passages from Revelation in their worship as mine does but would not be mistaken for prophecy or end-time focused. I think there are reasons for that which may best be saved for a different thread if you care to discuss that.

Reactions: Leaviathan
Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's plenty of fire and brimstone in the gospels, if that's what you're looking for.

I've just noticed in my time in the faith, whenever eschatology is discussed, this precludes any actual application of scripture. It's disturbing.
I'm just looking for some balance, it is the end game, and the last book of the Bible but no one talks about it. I have a stressful job, and I don't need any more services focusing on stress in the workplace from people with cushy desk jobs :) They've never worked construction so they shouldn't pretend there's a one size fits all remedy for everyone.

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think there are reasons for that which may best be saved for a different thread if you care to discuss that.
I'm always open for discussions, are there any active threads on this?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm just looking for some balance, it is the end game, and the last book of the Bible but no one talks about it. I have a stressful job, and I don't need any more services focusing on stress in the workplace from people with cushy desk jobs :) They've never worked construction so they shouldn't pretend there's a one size fits all remedy for everyone.
yeah, the church is probably too big.

When a church discusses end times, it shrinks the market of people who will listen to them - there are so many opinions right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
yeah, the church is probably too big.

When a church discusses end times, it shrinks the market of people who will listen to them - there are so many opinions right?
Yeah, we've all watched the Southern Baptist church lose millions of members, could be because of the lack of forward thinking.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, we've all watched the Southern Baptist church lose millions of members, could be because of the lack of forward thinking.
I've read stuff about worse issues being shoved under the rug and hammered down with coffin nails.

Probably has very little to do with prophecy not being taught.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

That simply means its being done wrong. In my experience, Coptic Orthodox priests do the best job when it comes to eschatological preaching that contains real world advice. Their services are long, and the hymns are sung in a mix of Coptic, Arabic and English, but the sermons, which are normally preached in English, are brilliant. I would propose in response to @seeking.IAM that the Coptic church is an example of a mainline denomination in terms of membership size, but not politics, and the total number of churches which does do a fair amount of eschatological homiletics.

For that matter, the other Orthodox churches also do a respectable amount of eschatological preaching, however, if someone is looking for really engaging sermons, Coptic Orthodox priests tend to be the most engaging among the Orthodox. The Coptic Rite is also the only traditional liturgical rite predating the Book of Common Prayer where the lectionary includes the entire Book of Revelation, and this book is read in its entirety on what the Copts call Bright Saturday (the Saturday immediately prior to Easter Sunday). They also read in every liturgy a lesson from the Pauline epistles, a lesson from the other epistles, a lesson from the Book of Acts, and a Gospel lesson, and before a typical Sunday liturgy starts they will celebrate the First, Third and Sixth hours, which are brief 10-15 minute services which have a fixed Gospel lesson, and the entire Old Testament is read throughout the year during Vespers on Saturday evenings, which also includes a number of astonishingly beautiful hymns.

The main reason I could see @Leviathan not enjoying it is again simply the length of the service, and it is extremely high church, especially compared to Baptist worship. However, I love worshipping with the persecuted Egyptian Christians who comprise the membership of the Coptic church, and so make it a point to go when I can; there is a lovely feeling of Christian fraternity in the experience, and they also tend to serve a tasty meal after the liturgy has finished, in addition to the amazing Antidoron bread which is baked at the same time as the leavened bread used in the Eucharist.

Reactions: Leaviathan
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That simply means its being done wrong. In my experience, Coptic Orthodox priests do the best job when it comes to eschatological preaching that contains real world advice. Their services are long, and the hymns are sung in a mix of Coptic, Arabic and English, but the sermons, which are normally preached in English, are brilliant. I would propose in response to @seeking.IAM that the Coptic church is an example of a mainline denomination in terms of membership size, but not politics, and the total number of churches which does do a fair amount of eschatological homiletics.

For that matter, the other Orthodox churches also do a respectable amount of eschatological preaching, however, if someone is looking for really engaging sermons, Coptic Orthodox priests tend to be the most engaging among the Orthodox. The Coptic Rite is also the only traditional liturgical rite predating the Book of Common Prayer where the lectionary includes the entire Book of Revelation, and this book is read in its entirety on what the Copts call Bright Saturday (the Saturday immediately prior to Easter Sunday). They also read in every liturgy a lesson from the Pauline epistles, a lesson from the other epistles, a lesson from the Book of Acts, and a Gospel lesson, and before a typical Sunday liturgy starts they will celebrate the First, Third and Sixth hours, which are brief 10-15 minute services which have a fixed Gospel lesson, and the entire Old Testament is read throughout the year during Vespers on Saturday evenings, which also includes a number of astonishingly beautiful hymns.

The main reason I could see @Leviathan not enjoying it is again simply the length of the service, and it is extremely high church, especially compared to Baptist worship. However, I love worshipping with the persecuted Egyptian Christians who comprise the membership of the Coptic church, and so make it a point to go when I can; there is a lovely feeling of Christian fraternity in the experience, and they also tend to serve a tasty meal after the liturgy has finished, in addition to the amazing Antidoron bread which is baked at the same time as the leavened bread used in the Eucharist.
I googled it, there are 4 coptic orthodox churches in that general area. (google search coptic Massachusetts)

However, when someone says they are baptist, anything orthodox doesn't come to mind as on the menu. Thanks for suggesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

I take it Boston is out of range? One of my favorite traditional churches is in Boston, Park Street Church. It is the last traditional Congregationalist church in Boston, since the rest either became Unitarian around 1800 or else became part of the extremely postmodern United Church of Christ, and in my experience most parishes in the UCC are more likely to preach left-wing politics than preach about prophecy, sadly.

Recently I saw a livestream of a service at Old South Church in Boston, which is part of the UCC, and words cannot express my disappointment at the incredibly political message that the minister delivered.

By the way @seeking.IAM I believe I have mentioned this to you before, but I am amazed by how excellent the services at the Episcopalian Old North Church are. Its just a classic traditional Protestant church.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Seventh-day Adventists preach end time prophecy pretty much non-stop year-round, and we also have prophecy seminars yearly in many of our churches that cover the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation. You can find numerous recorded seminars on YouTube. For instance, God's Prophetic Chain and Panorama of Prophecy are two recent seminars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I googled it, there are 4 coptic orthodox churches in that general area. (google search coptic Massachusetts)

However, when someone says they are baptist, anything orthodox doesn't come to mind as on the menu. Thanks for suggesting.

He said he goes to a contemporary worship Baptist church, not that he is Baptist. However among Baptist churches I do know of several in Massachusetts which might fit the bill.

I would be remiss however if I did not mention the Coptic option, because they simply do the best job when it comes to eschatological preaching. Frankly, I wish that I could do as good a job with my two mission parishes out here in the Southwest as they do when it comes to homiletics.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF.
End times , Revelation and such, has been , unfortunately, twisted. Many Pastors avoid the subject because certain theological systems have caused problems in the Body. I suggest you study the historical context first so you have a base of understanding. I say this because if you are not equipped with good hermeneutics and exegesis, you will go down a rabbit hole.
Blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Welcome to CF.
End times , Revelation and such, has been , unfortunately, twisted. Many Pastors avoid the subject because certain theological systems have caused problems in the Body. I suggest ypu study the historical context first do you have a base of understanding. I say this because if you are not equipped with good hermeneutics and exegesis, you will go down a rabbit hole.
Blessings.

Indeed. That’s also why I suggested the Coptic church, because their interpretation of Revelation and end times prophecy is that of the early church - nothing has changed in the Coptic Orthodox Church theologically speaking since the Church of Alexandria started preaching the Gospel to the Coptic speakers of Egypt in the late first century.

But I would trust SBC, LCMS, CCCC, PCA, OPC, WELS, ELS, ACNA, other Orthodox, Assyrian, traditional Latin Rite Roman Catholic, Continuing Anglican, and traditional Wesleyan and Episcopalian churches to do a good job at it, although some of these denominations are more likely to preach on this subject than others.

Upvote 0