Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might have hit on the reason why it is not covered.

If it does not have a real life application, there's nothing to teach.

Rev 1:3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

There is something to teach.

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I take it Boston is out of range? One of my favorite traditional churches is in Boston, Park Street Church. It is the last traditional Congregationalist church in Boston, since the rest either became Unitarian around 1800 or else became part of the extremely postmodern United Church of Christ, and in my experience most parishes in the UCC are more likely to preach left-wing politics than preach about prophecy, sadly.

Recently I saw a livestream of a service at Old South Church in Boston, which is part of the UCC, and words cannot express my disappointment at the incredibly political message that the minister delivered.

By the way @seeking.IAM I believe I have mentioned this to you before, but I am amazed by how excellent the services at the Episcopalian Old North Church are. Its just a classic traditional Protestant church.
My direct ancestor was the founding deacon at The Old Ship Church in Hingham in the late 1600's. I'm down here on Cape Cod so anything in Boston would be too far away from me

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My direct ancestor was the founding deacon at The Old Ship Church in Hingham in the late 1600's. I'm down here on Cape Cod so anything in Boston would be too far away from me

One thing I would suggest, as you prayerfully study, is to identify and look up the many, many Old Testament allusions throughout the book, along with New Testament references as well. They help give understanding.

Reactions: Leaviathan
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

The Old Ship Church is beautiful. It is a shame it is in the hands of the Unitarians. However, the thought has occurred to me that just as several Orthodox and other smaller churches such as Continuing Anglican churches, Quaker meetings, and so on, rent out mainline churches (for example, in Las Vegas, the Syriac Orthodox Church meets in an ELCA parish, and the First Christian Church / Disciples of Christ also hosts a UCC congregation, a Quaker meeting, and a Samoan church, and in Ventura, California, there is a small Continuing Anglican church which rents space from the local SDA church, which has no use for it on Sunday) the possibility might exist for traditional Christian churches, particularly ethnic churches, such as Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Assyrian churches, to rent some of the historic Unitarian churches like the Old Ship Church and in that manner restore Christian worship to them.

Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Old Ship Church is beautiful. It is a shame it is in the hands of the Unitarians. However, the thought has occurred to me that just as several Orthodox and other smaller churches such as Continuing Anglican churches, Quaker meetings, and so on, rent out mainline churches (for example, in Las Vegas, the Syriac Orthodox Church meets in an ELCA parish, and the First Christian Church / Disciples of Christ also hosts a UCC congregation, a Quaker meeting, and a Samoan church, and in Ventura, California, there is a small Continuing Anglican church which rents space from the local SDA church, which has no use for it on Sunday) the possibility might exist for traditional Christian churches, particularly ethnic churches, such as Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Assyrian churches, to rent some of the historic Unitarian churches like the Old Ship Church and in that manner restore Christian worship to them.
I like the fact that they are still using it however. I went up to check it out a few years ago

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As others have said, mainline churches are apt to include passages from Revelation in their worship as mine does but would not be mistaken for prophecy or end-time focused. I think there are reasons for that which may best be saved for a different thread if you care to discuss that.

I'm always open for discussions, are there any active threads on this?

I am not aware of current active threads on the topic as it is not one that interests me much. I mentioned that only because I found myself first writing more than you had asked for. I edited that post to try to stay on topic of suggesting churches to you without drifting into the associated issues of pros/cons of prophecy/end times focus. I probably need to edit myself more often.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I belong to a large Contemporary Christian Church, Baptist but the main focus is positive messages that relate to the real world. My issue is the Book of Revelation is never discussed, or anything in regards to Prophecy. It doesn't have to be a weekly thing but I think it's important to cover every book of the Bible.
My question is, which denominations do? I live in south eastern Massachusetts so my options are limited.

I know a few teachers, but they posit an amillennial view. If you understand all the OT references and symbolism in Revelation, you will realize it isn't about prophecy of the future, but events that happen at the time of the writing of the book, and more broadly to every generation until the return of Christ. Finding prophecies of future events is not, nor was ever, the intention of the book (except the last few chapters which points to final end). Revelation is everything discussed in the other epistles. The basic message is: Christ will win.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Revelation is everything discussed in the other epistles. The basic message is: Christ will win.

You should have issued a spoiler alert. There is no use to study now. ^_^

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I like the fact that they are still using it however. I went up to check it out a few years ago

Indeed, its the oldest intact church in the original 13 states. Which makes me even more bitter about the fact the Unitarians appropriated it around 220 years ago. They also have some of the oldest and most beautiful churches in Boston.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I belong to a large Contemporary Christian Church, Baptist but the main focus is positive messages that relate to the real world. My issue is the Book of Revelation is never discussed, or anything in regards to Prophecy. It doesn't have to be a weekly thing but I think it's important to cover every book of the Bible.
My question is, which denominations do? I live in south eastern Massachusetts so my options are limited.
What you're looking for are Pentecostal Baptists. I used to go to one of their churches in the state of Virginia, and I know that they are also in North Carolina, but how widespread the denomination is, I don't know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I am not aware of current active threads on the topic as it is not one that interests me much. I mentioned that only because I found myself first writing more than you had asked for. I edited that post to try to stay on topic of suggesting churches to you without drifting into the associated issues of pros/cons of prophecy/end times focus. I probably need to edit myself more often.

Since we have made recommendations to @Leaviathan and since it is, after all, his thread, I see no reason for us not to talk about why it is that so many churches shy away from preaching about the eschaton.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since we have made recommendations to @Leaviathan and since it is, after all, his thread, I see no reason for us not to talk about why it is that so many churches shy away from preaching about the eschaton.

His thread - I think that is up to him.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
What you're looking for are Pentecostal Baptists. I used to go to one of their churches in the state of Virginia, and I know that they are also in North Carolina, but how widespread the denomination is, I don't know.

Surely that would only be the case if he wanted to prophesize himself? If he merely wants to attend a church where the end times are considered a valid subject for teaching, there are probably better options, which are also likely more convenient to his location.

@Leaviathan I did send you a PM; if you can give me a rough estimate as to the township(s) of Massachusetts and/or any immediately adjoining states (for example, if you are right close to Rhode Island) that are convenient to you, I can provide you information on the different churches in that area. I am somewhat well versed in this respect, as I used to work there.

Also let us know if you want to discuss why some churches do not preach about prophecy or the end times in this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Joel Osteen who preaches on TV, would be another option.

I disagree on that point - Osteen preaches the Prosperity Gospel, in a watered down form, but he still preaches it. I couldn’t recommend his church to anyone.

The Roman Catholic Church preaches on eschatological matters; since other members have plugged their respective denominations I am surprised you haven’t mentioned your own. Archbishop Fulton Sheen in particular, in addition to being one of the three greatest televangelists (along with Dr. James Kennedy of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church and Rev. Robert Schuller of Reformed Church in America, the parish that was formerly the Crystal Cathedral), was one of the great eschatological preachers of the 20th century.

Reactions: Leaviathan
Upvote 0

Leaviathan

Feb 19, 2015
Cape Cod
✟31,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That does interest me, because no one discusses that either. I asked our pastor of spiritual development about this a few years ago and all he said was "if you prepare yourself by living the way Jesus did then all of the other stuff doesn't matter" This is true but that's not really an answer as to why they shy away from it.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That does interest me, because no one discusses that either. I asked our pastor of spiritual development about this a few years ago and all he said was "if you prepare yourself by living the way Jesus did then all of the other stuff doesn't matter" This is true but that's not really an answer as to why they shy away from it.
This might be of interest.

Bible Prophecy truth linked

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The Seventh-day Adventist church is a prophecy based denomination and has as its official mission statement - the proclamation of the 3 Angel's messages found in Revelation 14.

I am not sure that there is another denomination with that specific Rev 14 text included in its "mission statement"

The Adventist denomination can be compared to a combination of
1. Seventh-day Baptists for the continued validity of all TEN commandment and "no change" to the 4th.
2. The Free Will Baptists - for the validity of supernaturally enabled free will allowing the lost to accept or reject the Gospel as Christ supernaturally "draws all mankind unto Him" John 12:32
3. The Full Gospel Baptists - in that we affirm the continuation of spiritual gifts in 1 Cor 12 and Eph 4 (but we do not accept the modern views of "tongues" as being the actual gift of languages spoken of in the Bible that are specifically for evangelizing people of other languages).
4. The United Methodist organization of local churches, in conferences, in Divisions etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Rev 1:3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

There is something to teach.
I glean much to apply from the book of revelation, eschatology is a discipline that tends to lack in application regardless of the book it is examining ... however.

Upvote 0