U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My first attempt at cloth diapering was gDiapers. It's basically a cloth pant with snap-in waterproof liner and a flushable insert. You can machine wash and dry the cloth part, machine wash and line-dry the liner, and flush or toss the insert. It's much less messy than the typical cloth diaper experience. I did this for a few months, and once I was used to it, I switched to reusable cloth inserts instead. Personally, I found gDiapers to be the best overall diaper (with the cloth insert). Because it separates into three parts, it's very easy to clean and dry. And it's not much work at all to assemble a 3-piece diaper and have it ready for the next diaper change.

My second-favorite was the pocket diapers. It's basically a regular diaper, except it has a pocket where you slip the absorbent insert. You can machine wash the whole thing, but they get cleaner and dry faster if you separate the diaper and insert when you wash them (obviously). The only disadvantage is that the waterproof outer material is sewn onto the cloth pocket. This means that the water isn't able to go all the way through the material when you wash it, so it doesn't get as clean. I mean, it's better than a true all-in-one diaper where even the insert is sewn in, but I found it's much easier to clean when you can separate the layers.

Unfortunately, I never liked the cloth diapers where the waterproof layer is just plastic pants that fit over the diaper. Those just never achieve a good fit, though I guess they are the easiest to wash. So that's why I like the gDiaper design best; the waterproof liner is removable, but fits snugly into the diaper when worn. I know there are many styles that attempt a similar goal (like Haute Pockets), but it was not in my budget to try out a lot of different brands. You kind of have to stick to one set if you expect to save money over disposable diapers. I can honestly say I don't regret cloth diapering, and I was able to do it with my son from age 2 months till he potty-trained. (Before that, we used disposables we were given at his baby shower.) I recommend having disposables on hand until you're completely comfortable with it; I used them overnight and when I went out. But once I got the hang of it, I used cloth exclusively. Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ETA: Your cloth diapers will last longer if you use disposable liners. It's just a thin piece of material that you lay over the surface, which captures the solids but lets the liquids pass through. Some are flushable (one-time use). The more durable ones can be washed and reused up to 6 times if wet, and just tossed if soiled. They're a few dollars for a roll of 200. Scrubbing the solids from diapers is the fastest way to wear them out, so this really helps. A disposable liner is still 50x cheaper than a disposable diaper.

Upvote 0

mommy2b

Jun 14, 2012
✟7,630.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much, akmom.

The pocket diapers where my favourites so far, but I would like to use them with the pants that fit over the diaper.
One idea I had in mind was using swaddlebees hemp pocket diapers and a wool pants. Which pocket diapers did you use?

Still not sure if I should really do that. I really like natural materials, thinks that will be the most healthful for our son, but I am not sure if wool is not to messy.

Thanks also for your tips to have disposables on hand. I definetly will do this.

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I used a variety of brands, and I don't really remember all the names. I bought whatever I could find online at the time that was cheap. I only bought new items; I know there are sites where you can buy used diapers in good condition, but I was just never comfortable with that. If you have a store that sells them, where you can actually see and feel the diaper, you'd probably be able to make a better choice. I tried ones made of cotton, hemp and bamboo, and I found that hemp was absolutely the most absorbent and therefore least likely to leak. (Just make you sure you actually wash them the full 6 times in hot water before use, to remove the natural oils that repel water.) My son had an allergic reaction to bamboo, so I can't really vouch for it.

I would not recommend wool because it the average courseness is pretty high. (Any fibers with a diameter of 30 microns or more has a "prickle factor," and anything other than Merino wool tends to have a high percentage of these fibers.) A diaper cover doesn't contact the skin much, but it will by the elastic (or else it'll leak), so I can imagine that being pretty uncomfortable. Personally I loved the polyurethane covers; it's completely waterproof, but unlike plastic it's breathable. I know it's not natural, but I can't really think of any natural waterproof material that would be comfortable for a baby. Maybe sealskin? (Just kidding.)

You can google Green Mountain Diapers. They make really nice diaper covers. I sewed a cotton pocket onto mine to turn it into a pocket diaper, but you could probably use it over a quality cloth diaper. (I never had any "quality" ones that didn't have the waterproof layer sewn in.) Don't just get the waterproof pants; get a real diaper cover that velcroes or snaps like ordinary diapers. It's not only easier to get on, but it allows you to adjust it to just the right snugness for a better fit. Plus they often come as "one size" diapers, which can be adjusted to small/medium/large. Those are the best, because they last from birth to potty-training. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

mommy2b

Jun 14, 2012
✟7,630.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your advice. I have heard that hemp diapers were the best before and bought two swaddlebees cotton terry. Totally love them, they are so soft... but the shop were I bought them does not seel them anymore and I don't know where to buy other ones.

Thanks for your tipp that I should wash them before first use. Do you know how hot excactly they are supposed to be washed? Which detergent did you use for your hemp diapers?

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can pre-wash them on the regular hot cycle without detergent. You'll notice they will feel different without the oils in them, but this is a good thing for diapers. I used a powdered detergent called Rockin Green, specifically for cloth diapers. It's important to find one that doesn't contain fabric softeners or brighteners, because they'll build up on the diapers over time. Just look at the labels. I think 7th Generation and Planet have suitable formulations too.

You can find hemp inserts online from Green Mountain Diapers, CottonWood Baby, or gDiapers. They all sell something pretty similar that fits in most diapers. There is a seller on eBay called cottonwoodbaby where I got most of mine. Most of the major cloth diaper brands offer hemp inserts too.

Upvote 0

dessydell

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
✟7,632.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Cloth diaper is good to use instead of others. It is made by using soft and smooth cotton so that it is really very comfort to wearing to your baby. There are many of good brand in the market that provide good quality of clothe diaper and you can also find it from the online shopping site.

Upvote 0