Which church does fundies go to?

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any church sticking out in particular as the most attended one among fundies?
Strange though
Fundies are mostly seen in Pentecostal type churches, yet when it comes to the salvational message followed, the denomination closest to them in thinking is Catholics
Yet, these are the two mainstream denominations that are supposed to be furthest apart doctrinally. If only they knew!

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now see, Pentecostal is a tradition I wouldn't put forth as being Fundie. I would think more like conservative Baptist.
I've always viewed fundies as those most associated with quoting the literal letter, hinging everything on it, and insisting others fully keep it.
That may sound harsh.
I still have scars from the church of my youth though. So I may be a wee bit biased

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've always viewed fundies as those most associated with quoting the literal letter, hinging everything on it, and insisting others fully keep it.
That may sound harsh.
I still have scars from the church of my youth though. So I may be a wee bit biased

Yes, that's why I wouldn't think fundies would be attracted to Pentecostal churches which teach so many extrabiblical things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that's why I wouldn't think fundies would be attracted to Pentecostal churches which teach so many extrabiblical things.
I'm not baised in fundies favour here. My time in their churches was a nightmare.
But I didn't find they preach anything extra biblical if you like. It was straight from the bible. The bible was sacrosanct.
The problem was, it was just preaching the letter that kills.
I love Pauls letters. I was stunned when I finally read them. The church of my youth had preached much of the letter, but, not Paul's core Gospel message of grace.

It is crippling to relentlessly be told how well you must live your life, if, alongside that you are not taught grace

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Strange though
Fundies are mostly seen in Pentecostal type churches, yet when it comes to the salvational message followed, the denomination closest to them in thinking is Catholics
Yet, these are the two mainstream denominations that are supposed to be furthest apart doctrinally. If only they knew!
First, neither Pentecostals nor Catholics typically can be categorized as 'mainstream. That moniker is properly left for Methodists or Episcopalians or Presbyterians and the like. I sometimes refer to them as old-line because most of them are shrinking dramatically.

Catholics and fundamentalists have very different styles of thinking, different temperaments, radically different views of history. And we know almost genetically that we can't get along. But we are allied to a degree anyhow.

That said, to the extent that fundamentalists accept the Nicene Creed, we are on the same page with them theologically. Far more so than with those who can't affirm the whole of the Nicene Creed.

The original fundamentalists were orthodox Protestants like J Gresham Machen, a scholar at Princeton. His positions on the Nicene Creed would have been quite agreeable to Catholic teaching. What we now call fundamentalism is often understood as a closed state of mind. How do you understand fundamentalism?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Trust me.
Fundies and Catholics are the closest of allies in how they strive to attain heaven
Now this is a Fundamentalist forum. Are you actually a fundamentalist or something else?

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now this is a Fundamentalist forum. Are you actually a fundamentalist or something else?
Sorry, I didn't notice it was a particular forum. I dont wish to offend. Am happy not to post here again

To answer your question.
I was raised in a pentecostal church I would call fundamentalist. The only denomination I now recognise is christian.

I would call myself fundamentalist according to the heart of the message, not the letter.
Big difference!

• Friendly
Reactions: joyfullyobey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sorry, I didn't notice it was a particular forum. I dont wish to offend. Am happy not to post here again

To answer your question.
I was raised in a pentecostal church I would call fundamentalist. The only denomination I now recognise is christian.

I would call myself fundamentalist according to the heart of the message, not the letter.
Big difference!
Well, I'm NOT a fundamentalist but I don't intend or want to offend any fundamentalist while in their forum.

Sounds like you may or may not be a fundamentalist now based on who might be defining things.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think some Baptists are fundies but some aren't. I think 7th Day Adventists are as well but I'm not sure. There aren't many fundies where I live AFAIK so I've mainly just learned about them on here.

Perhaps the most liberal/progressive Christian I have ever met was a Southern Baptist. We are blessed here in Canada WRT fundamentalists but I have met a few --- mostly influenced by USAnian based churches.

• Informative
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps the most liberal/progressive Christian I have ever met was a Southern Baptist. We are blessed here in Canada WRT fundamentalists but I have met a few --- mostly influenced by USAnian based churches.

Even within Southern Baptist churches there seems to be a lack of consistency but, if anything, that is consistent with the freedom both afforded and expected of the Baptist denomination in general regarding individuality of churches.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even within Southern Baptist churches there seems to be a lack of consistency but, if anything, that is consistent with the freedom both afforded and expected of the Baptist denomination in general regarding individuality of churches.

Over the years I have come to comprehend that.

Upvote 0