Which "BIBLE" is best ? Why it REALLY Matters !

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where we are at it .
Let's assume Septuagint had non cannonical books before Christ . Why did we get rid of them in first place ?

Because the combined councils of the Early Christian Fathers determined they would not be included in the canon. Maybe?

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you going to take the time to learn Hebrew/ Greek and 100 % Completely understand the nuances of the culture and then teach me all of that so I can then read it ?

If you are truly in search of the 'Grail' of Bible manuscripts you will, but that still doesn't give you the original manuscripts as they are long gone. Like the rest of us you, my friend will always have to rely on those who spend their lives working hard to give us the best that they can offer based on the latest information and methods available. That is why prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit are necessary when reading and studying scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are truly in search of the 'Grail' of Bible manuscripts you will and still, that doesn't give you the original manuscripts as they are long gone. Like the rest of us you, my friend will always have to rely on those who spend their lives working hard to give us the best that they can offer based on the latest information and methods available. That is why prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit are necessary when reading and studying scripture.

Have you ever prayed to find the best version of the bible that is available ?

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever prayed to find the best version of the bible that is available ?

No, because there isn't one that will suit everybody, you will only ever find translations that are best for you.

I pray before I start reading or studying whichever translation of the Bible I have in my hand and I pray for guidance in understanding after I have read it.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,364.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
oh I had answer that about 5 times now, Because of the sacrifice needed to obtain it in the first place and the integrity of the individuals that gave their lives that it might come forward.

Wait a minute, you seem to be saying that because people suffered to produce the KJV, that shows that it is a better translation.
That makes no sense at all.

How do know know about the personal integrity of the various translators? And does "personal integrity" mean "Spirit filled and led"?

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wait a minute, you seem to be saying that because people suffered to produce the KJV, that shows that it is a better translation.
That makes no sense at all.

How do know know about the personal integrity of the various translators? And does "personal integrity" mean "Spirit filled and led"?

You do it your way and I do it mine, good luck to you.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because the combined councils of the Early Christian Fathers determined they would not be included in the canon. Maybe?

Canon was set approx 300 year after Christ . Early Church fathers quote books like Tobi which are not in our canon nowdays , don't know what and who believe anymore .

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,364.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do it your way and I do it mine, good luck to you.

I don't mind what you do or believe. I was asking a question about why making personal sacrifices, or even suffering, to produce a translation of the Bible, means that that translation is the best, or most accurate, that there is.
I was also asking how you know about the integrity of other individual Bible translators.

If the answer to both of these is "I'll do it my way"; fair enough. But that doesn't answer my questions.
Maybe you feel that you don't want, or need, to answer to my questions - again, fair enough. But I don't agree with your position and you have said nothing to convince me otherwise; so I guess I'll just carry on meeting with God through the pages of my NIV.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Canon was set approx 300 year after Christ . Early Church fathers quote books like Tobi which are not in our canon nowdays , don't know what and who believe anymore .

There are a number of Canons including the current Protestant Canon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
already answer about 5 or 6 times now. you do your thing and I'll do mine.
Seems to me you said you prefer the King James because the writers suffered more putting it together. But those translator's didn't have to die for it. William Tyndale was martyred for translating the Bible. Your logic would make Tyndale's translation a better translation. But you go for King James, so something else you haven't declared is driving your opinion. Please declare what makes the King James better, and this time don't cite the amount of suffering the translators had to endure, because that doesn't work.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me you said you prefer the King James because the writers suffered more putting it together. But those translator's didn't have to die for it. William Tyndale was martyred for translating the Bible. Your logic would make Tyndale's translation a better translation. But you go for King James, so something else you haven't declared is driving your opinion. Please declare what makes the King James better, and this time don't cite the amount of suffering the translators had to endure, because that doesn't work.

Your inferring I am lying that is not the case. $ motivates later translations pure and simple. I don't know how many times people are going to ask, If the translation Tyndale did was worthy of his Death then it certainly must have made an impact on SOMEONE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,364.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your inferring I am lying that is not very kind

No he wasn't. He was saying that your logic is wrong.
If someone/a group of people make sacrifices and even suffer to produce a translation of the Bible, their sacrifice, and suffering, does not prove that their translation is correct.
That is exactly what I was saying; and asking you to show otherwise. You clearly can't.

I've no doubt that cult leaders make sacrifices to produce their "holy" books, and some of them certainly have suffered persecution. But that's because they are wrong.
By your logic, their sacrifices and struggles would make their translations correct and acceptable.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No he wasn't. He was saying that your logic is wrong.
If someone/a group of people make sacrifices and even suffer to produce a translation of the Bible, their sacrifice, and suffering, does not prove that their translation is correct.
That is exactly what I was saying; and asking you to show otherwise. You clearly can't.

I've no doubt that cult leaders make sacrifices to produce their "holy" books, and some of them certainly have suffered persecution. But that's because they are wrong.
By your logic, their sacrifices and struggles would make their translations correct and acceptable.

Seriously , your against the bible.

6 and 9 perspective.jpg

Upvote 0