Which "BIBLE" is best ? Why it REALLY Matters !

Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On purpose . When you change " God will give you sign virgin will be with child " to " God will give you a sign young woman will be with child " shows clearly support against virgin birth because young woman bearing child is not a sign it's common on daily basics .

Or like changing "they pierce my hands and my feet " to " my hands and my feet like lion " because you don't believe that Christ is Messiah ...

Are there versions that are that say that ?

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The sacrifice of those that gave their life to bring forth the Bible is NOT something that is insignificant,
This is NOT even a counter to anything I argued, but keep up the CAPITALIZATIONS to prove your point.
The minor differences MATTER A GREAT DEAL in some cases.
CAPITALIZATION of your words while completely lacking any support for those words amounts to SHOUTING and SOAP BOX preaching. You are convinced of the GREAT IMPORTANCE to a particular translation, but can you point to a particular translation that is not sufficient to learn of God and the path to heaven? Do you think one would go to hell for reading the "wrong" Bible? This debate is full of even more folly than which church is the correct church. Please defend what you propose, that minor differences "MATTER A GREAT DEAL".
If you omit or completely change the meaning by your "new and improved" version of God's word. We are NOT supposed alter God's words or their meaning.
I used the text you quoted in the OP. What was your point of quoting many different translations of John 3:16 if it is not an example of your OP point of detrimental altering the meaning of God's word in various translations?

I tried to use a truism that there are multiple ways of saying the same thing. You completely ignore this. You should not be so legalistic in translations because even the NT misquotes the OT, used different words. Also the whole point of the synoptic gospels is to present the same message using different words. You miss Jesus' command to preach to all nations, which is an endorsement to translate his word. Understand that there is not always a one to one translation of words between languages so there is by a necessity an "altering" of God's word.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is NOT even a counter to anything I argued, but keep up the CAPITALIZATIONS to prove your point.

CAPITALIZATION of your words while completely lacking any support for those words amounts to SHOUTING and SOAP BOX preaching. You are convinced of the GREAT IMPORTANCE to a particular translation, but can you point to a particular translation that is not sufficient to learn of God and the path to heaven? Do you think one would go to hell for reading the "wrong" Bible? This debate is full of even more folly than which church is the correct church. Please defend what you propose, that minor differences "MATTER A GREAT DEAL".
I used the text you quoted in the OP. What was your point of quoting many different translations of John 3:16 if it is not an example of your OP point of detrimental altering the meaning of God's word in various translations?

I tried to use a truism that there are multiple ways of saying the same thing. You completely ignore this. You should not be so legalistic in translations because even the NT misquotes the OT, used different words. Also the whole point of the synoptic gospels is to present the same message using different words. You miss Jesus' command to preach to all nations, which is an endorsement to translate his word. Understand that there is not always a one to one translation of words between languages so there is by a necessity an "altering" of God's word.

THANKS FOR POINTING OUT THE CAPS THING, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT, WILL MAKE SURE AND LET EVERYONE KNOW.

anyways here are a few examples I found online.

For example, Revelation 2:4-5 is translated in that version as:

But you walked away from your first love—why? What's going on with you, anyway? Do you have any idea how far you've fallen? A Lucifer fall! "Turn back! Recover your dear early love. No time to waste, for I'm well on my way to removing your light from the golden circle.

ESV has:
But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. 5Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place
NKJV:

Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place

And as far as small things mattering a GREAT deal.

ames 3:4 - King James Bible
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.

Matthew 17:20 - King James Bible
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

1 Samuel 17- 50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
errors and omissions most likely not done on purpose but they exist and I think we should use the best possible version.

Given there are no original manuscripts even the Hebrew and Greek texts are copies/translations so we can never know what the best possible version is. I suggest to anyone seriously studying scripture to use these four tools:

1 prayer
2 use various translations ensure you have a couple of formal translations
3 read in context of passage, section, book, Bible as a whole
4 have access to really high quality commentaries and Bible dictionaries

Note! Don’t forget the prayer.

• Agree
Reactions: Chinchilla
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well I understand what your saying and it makes sense on some levels, however what if the version you have is incorrect and because of that causes one to sin ?

Would you like to explain what mean by incorrect causing you to sin.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
https://bible.org/article/why-so-many-versions

Where have all the verses gone? The modern translations seem to have cut out many of the most precious lines of Scripture. They end Mark's gospel at the 8th verse of chapter 16; they omit the reference of the angel of the Lord stirring the waters at the pool of Bethesda (verse 4 of John 5); and, most notably, they excise the story of the woman caught in adultery in John 8.

Besides omissions, these modern versions make significant changes in the text. For example, in I Timothy 3:16, the King James reads, "God was manifest in the flesh," but most modern translations read, "He was manifest in the flesh." In Revelation 22:19 the King James speaks of the "book of life" while virtually all modern versions speak of the "tree of life." Altogether, there are hundreds of textual changes between the King James and modern translations

Uh . . . why judge by the King James instead of the greek text?

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Uh . . . why judge by the King James instead of the greek text?

Are you going to take the time to learn Hebrew/ Greek and 100 % Completely understand the nuances of the culture and then teach me all of that so I can then read it ?

Reactions: Chinchilla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you like to explain what mean by incorrect causing you to sin.

Well HYPOTHETICALLY lets say a crack pot translation said it was ok to do something that is not ok in God's eyes. Perhaps they put in a "THOU SHALT" instead of "THOU SHALL NOT"

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Are you going to take the time to learn Hebrew/ Greek and 100 % Completely understand the nuances of the culture and then teach me all of that so I can then read it ?

I notice you didn't answer the question.

Why prefer the King James version over the greek texts for the New Testament? (Hebrew/aramaic for the old, of course . . . )

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Why prefer the King James version over the greek texts for the New Testament? (Hebrew/aramaic for the old, of course . . . )

Cuz majority text of 10 000+ manuscripts > two manuscripts which don't even agree with each other

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

oh I had answer that about 5 times now, Because of the sacrifice needed to obtain it in the first place and the integrity of the individuals that gave their lives that it might come forward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
oh I had answer that about 5 times now, Because of the sacrifice needed to obtain it in the first place and the integrity of the individuals that gave their lives that it might come forward.

Of course the King James is a worthy translation, and it was light years ahead of having nothing at all . . . but those things do not preclude being able to make a better translation at a later time.

• Winner
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course the King James is a worthy translation, and it was light years ahead of having nothing at all . . . but those things do not preclude being able to make a better translation at a later time.

Those things also don't mean that later translations were not people just out to make a quick buck. Instead of maintaining standards and consistency and accuracy

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Those things also don't mean that later translations were not people just out to make a quick buck. Instead of maintaining standards and consistency and accuracy

The standard, however, is not the KJV but the original languages.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well HYPOTHETICALLY lets say a crack pot translation said it was ok to do something that is not ok in God's eyes. Perhaps they put in a "THOU SHALT" instead of "THOU SHALL NOT"

I would think that one would use the two great commands to determine their actions, not the thou shalts and the thou shalt not's. As Jesus tells us they contain all the Law and Prophets...

Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Footnotes:

[a] Matthew 22:37 Deut. 6:5
Matthew 22:39 Lev. 19:18

And who is your neighbour? - Everyone is your neighbour..... my friend.

Upvote 0