Where is the Evidence of a Gap in the 70 weeks of Dan 9?

Is there a "gap" in the 70 weeks of Daniel 9"

• Total voters

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Have you done a search for 'covenant' in this thread? It's interesting where that Hebrew word is found in the book of Daniel in particular, then observing the contexts involving that word. My Strong's indicates briyth is found in the following passages in the book of Daniel. Dan 9:4, Dan 9:27, Dan 11:22, Dan 11:28, Dan 11:30, Dan 11:32.
Using a hebrew/greek interlinear, it appears to show the exact word form of H1285 occurs in
Daniel 9:27, 11:22, 28, 30

The last 2 times that exact word occurs is in Malachi 2, and it appears there are a lot of similar words used in these 2 verses that are also used in Daniel.

Here, the covenant of Levi is mentioned:

The word stumble<3782> is used only in Daniel 11 of the book of Daniel

Malachi 2:

8 And ye, ye have turned from the way,
Ye have caused many to stumble<3782> in the law,
Ye have corrupted<7843> the covenant<1285> of Levi, says Yahweh of Hosts.

9 And I also, I have made you despised and low before all the people, Because ye are not keeping My ways, And are accepting persons in the law.
10 Have we not all one father? Hath not 'El created us? Wherefore do we deal treacherously<898>, Each against his brother,

To pollute<2490> the covenant<1285> of our fathers?

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Using a hebrew/greek interlinear, it appears to show the exact word form of H1285 occurs in
Daniel 9:27, 11:22, 28, 30

The last 2 times that exact word occurs is in Malachi 2, and it appears there are a lot of similar words used in these 2 verses that are also used in Daniel.

Here, the covenant of Levi is mentioned:

The word stumble<3782> is used only in Daniel 11 of the book of Daniel

Malachi 2:
8 And ye, ye have turned from the way,
Ye have caused many to stumble<3782> in the law,
Ye have corrupted<7843> the covenant<1285> of Levi, says Yahweh of Hosts.

9 And I also, I have made you despised and low before all the people, Because ye are not keeping My ways, And are accepting persons in the law.
10 Have we not all one father? Hath not our God prepared us? Wherefore do we deal treacherously, Each against his brother,
To pollute the covenant<1285> of our fathers?

The point I was trying to bring out is the connection between Daniel 9:27 with that of those passages in Daniel 11. The covenant is meaning the same covenant in Daniel 9:4, and that it is the holy covenant.

Daniel 11:28 Then shall he return into his land with great riches; and his heart shall be against the holy covenant; and he shall do exploits, and return to his own land.

Notice that his heart is against this same holy covenant that is confirmed to many for one week.

Plus there is this in Daniel 11.

Daniel 11:22 And with the arms of a flood shall they be overflown from before him, and shall be broken; yea, also the prince of the covenant.

It says---also the prince of the covenant.

the prince that shall come shall confirm the covenant with many for one week.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's assume this is meaning the Messiah. How did He fulfill the first half of confirming the covenant with many? Assuming meaning Him, wouldn't He have done that in person, IOW bodily present at the time? So what about the latter half? After His death and resurrection, where we know He showed back up bodily, thus bodily present at the time, did He hang around for another 3.5 years in order to finish confirming the covenant with many for the week? After all, the text says, whoever is being meant here, that that person themself confirms the covenant with many for one week. It doesn't say for part of the week though, it clearly says one week.

Matt 10
5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

As of A.D. 34 with the stoning of Stephen (Acts 7:58, 59), the literal Jewish nation was no longer God's only chosen nation. Because they consistently resisted God's plan for them, the nation of Israel is no longer the central focus of end-time prophecy. Now all who accept Jesus are His chosen people, and the promises God made to literal Israel now also apply to spiritual Israel (Romans 9:6-8).

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Jesus is the word and that is the Gospel (the word) we have.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mat 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Yet He was still bodily present during the time when He said that. After He rose though, He didn't stay around much longer, certainly not another 3.5 years anyway. How then did He bodily confirm the covenant with many for the remainder of the week if He was not bodily present any longer? By bodily confirming I'm meaning as in physically present. The text indicates he, whoever this might be meaning, confirms the covenant with many for a week, and not that someone else does that for him.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt 10
5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

As of A.D. 34 with the stoning of Stephen (Acts 7:58, 59), the literal Jewish nation was no longer God's only chosen nation. Because they consistently resisted God's plan for them, the nation of Israel is no longer the central focus of end-time prophecy. Now all who accept Jesus are His chosen people, and the promises God made to literal Israel now also apply to spiritual Israel (Romans 9:6-8).

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Jesus is the word and that is the Gospel (the word) we have.

None of those are Jesus though. The text indicates the one meant, that this one personally confirms the covenant with many for one week. What I need to know is how did Jesus do this if He wasn't even physically present for the entire week, assuming Daniel 9:27 is meaning Jesus?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The point I was trying to bring out is the connection between Daniel 9:27 with that of those passages in Daniel 11. The covenant is meaning the same covenant in Daniel 9:4, and that it is the holy covenant.
I looked again at those passages where "covenant" is mentioned and noticed only Daniel 9:4 uses the article "the" with covenant.

This appears to be talking a about a specific covenant?
How many different covenants are there in the OT?

Daniel 9:4
And I pray to Yahweh, Elohim of me, and am confessing and saying: ‘O! 'Adonay, the 'El, the great One, and the-One being feared/revered<3372>, keeping the Covenant<1285>
and the kindness to those loving Him, and to those keeping His commands<4687>;

All the rest do not have the article "the".

Daniel 11:
28 And he shall return land of him in great substance, and his heart on a covenant<1285> of holiness
and he makes and returns to his land.
30 “and they-come in-him boats Kittim and he is sore-grieved and returns and on a covenant<1285> of holiness.

I looked up "holy covenant" in a concordance and found 1 place in the NT that mentions it, from my bro Luke:

NKJV)

Luke 1:72
To perform the mercy promised to our fathers
And to remember His holy covenant,

2Ch 5:7
Then the priests brought in the ark of the covenant of the LORD to its place, into the inner sanctuary of the temple,[fn] to the Most Holy Place, under the wings of the cherubim.

Psalms 111:9
He has sent redemption to His people;
He has commanded His covenant forever:
Holy and awesome is His name.

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
https://www.christianforums.com/thr...-the-70-weeks-of-dan-9.8077710/#post-73069437

Dan 9:25
And thou shall know<3045>..........
.......and shall be intelligent<7919>.......
..........from going forth<4161>a word<1697>......
This word has a plethora of meanings but it appears to mainly mean return/turn-back.

to return<7725>

Strong's Number H7725 matches the Hebrew שׁוּב (shuwb),
which occurs 1,117 times in 952 verses
7725 shuwb shoob a primitive root; to turn back (hence, away) transitively or intransitively, literally or figuratively (not necessarily with the idea of return to the starting point); generally to retreat; often adverbial, again..................

This verse mentions 70 years and return:

Jeremiah 29:10
For thus says Yahweh, surely to be fulfilled for Babylon — seventy year — I shall visit<6485> ye,
and I carry out upon ye My good word to return<7725> ye to this place

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet He was still bodily present during the time when He said that. After He rose though, He didn't stay around much longer, certainly not another 3.5 years anyway. How then did He bodily confirm the covenant with many for the remainder of the week if He was not bodily present any longer? By bodily confirming I'm meaning as in physically present. The text indicates he, whoever this might be meaning, confirms the covenant with many for a week, and not that someone else does that for him.

The 70 weeks prophecy is about Daniel's people.

Do you deny that based on Matthew 10:5-7, and Romans 1:16, and Galatians 1:14-18, the Gospel was taken "first" to Daniel's people for about 7 years, before Paul began his ministry to the Gentiles?

Do you deny that Daniel chapter 9 is the timeline of the Messiah who would fulfill the New Covenant promised in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

Do you deny that the text of Daniel 9:24 is found fulfilled in Hebrews 10:16-18, and Acts of the Apostles 10:38?

Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Please provide scripture to support your "expect" reference the 2300 days.

I have studied Prophesy with the SDA 30 odd years back; had I not done so I would not be in a position to disagree. In the beginning I never questioned the SDA treatment of the 2300 days; later when I did question it I realised that nothing empirical happened apart from embarrassment in1844; so I enquired to a SDA with a substantial web cite “why did the 2300 year prophesy start at the same place as the seventieth eek prophesy, and his reply was panel of SDA elders decided that that was when it would start. At that time I consulted the scripture and concluded that the 2300 days was not a prophesy but period mentioned in a prophesy.

There are two things, the sanctuary will be trodden underfoot by strangers and at the end of which the sanctuary will be cleansed; I can allow that the 2300 years began before the messiah arrives but I am not aware of a significant time when the sanctuary was trodden under foot; there was a Greek king who sacrificed a pig in the Temple; but working backwards the sanctuary will be cleansed when Christ returns which could be soon or it could be up to 300 years. The fact that Jesus attended the Temple might suggest that the time had not started then, on the other hand Jesus became angry about how the Temple was being used.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
................. The fact that Jesus attended the Temple might suggest that the time had not started then, on the other hand Jesus became angry about how the Temple was being used.
Note John 2:14, 15
Whip, lashes, repent!

Nahum 3:2
A sound of a whip, and sound of a quaking wheel, and horse galloping, and chariot leaping. A horseman mounting..........

John 2:
and He found in the temple those selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money-changers sitting,
15 and having made a whip of small cords, He put all forth out of the Temple, also the sheep, and the oxen;
and of the money-changers he poured out the coins, and the tables he overthrew,
[Nahum 3:2/Reve 18:11-13]

Revelation 18:
And the merchants of the land are lamenting and are mourning over Her,
that the cargo of them no-one is buying not-still

13 and cinnamon and incenses and attars and frankincense
and wine and oil and flour and grain
and beasts and sheep and of horses

and of chariots and of bodies and souls of men.
[Nahum 3:2/John 2:14]

4127. plege play-gay' from 4141;
a stroke; by implication, a wound; figuratively, a calamity:--plague, stripe, wound(-ed).

Revelation 9:20
And the rest of the men which were not killed by these blows/stripes<4127> repented not of the works of their hands,

that they should not worship the demons,
the and idols of gold, and the silver, and brass,
and stones, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
to return<7725>
..............and to build<1129> of Jerusalem<3389>

1129 banah baw-naw' a primitive root; to build (literally and figuratively):--(begin to) build(-er), obtain children, make, repair, set (up), X surely..

Micah 3:10
Who build up<1129> Zion with bloodshed
And Jerusalem with iniquity:

Last 2 times used in Malachi

Malachi 1:4
Even though Edom has said,
“We have been impoverished, but we will return and build<1129> the desolate places,”
Thus says the LORD of hosts:
“They may build<1129>, but I will throw down;
They shall be called the Territory of Wickedness,
And the people against whom the LORD will have indignation forever.

Malachi 3:15

So now we call the proud blessed,
For those who do wickedness are built-up<1129>;

They even test Elohim and are escaping.’ ”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
None of those are Jesus though. The text indicates the one meant, that this one personally confirms the covenant with many for one week. What I need to know is how did Jesus do this if He wasn't even physically present for the entire week, assuming Daniel 9:27 is meaning Jesus?

And Jesus did that through his WORD to the disciples who went forth.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have studied Prophesy with the SDA 30 odd years back; had I not done so I would not be in a position to disagree. In the beginning I never questioned the SDA treatment of the 2300 days; later when I did question it I realised that nothing empirical happened apart from embarrassment in1844; so I enquired to a SDA with a substantial web cite “why did the 2300 year prophesy start at the same place as the seventieth eek prophesy, and his reply was panel of SDA elders decided that that was when it would start. At that time I consulted the scripture and concluded that the 2300 days was not a prophesy but period mentioned in a prophesy.

There are two things, the sanctuary will be trodden underfoot by strangers and at the end of which the sanctuary will be cleansed; I can allow that the 2300 years began before the messiah arrives but I am not aware of a significant time when the sanctuary was trodden under foot; there was a Greek king who sacrificed a pig in the Temple; but working backwards the sanctuary will be cleansed when Christ returns which could be soon or it could be up to 300 years. The fact that Jesus attended the Temple might suggest that the time had not started then, on the other hand Jesus became angry about how the Temple was being used.

I notice that you did not provide scripture as requedted..

The text states that “unto 2300 days, then shall the sanctuary be cleansed”. Why does this period begin upon the 3rd declaration of rebuilding Jerusalem?

Only the third proclamation by Artaxerxes dealt with four traditional and political autonomy because it involved the total restoration of Jerusalem. The previous decrees by Cyrus and Darius, dealt specifically only with the temple. So the only date that can be used for the commencement of the prophecy is the Artaxerxes decree of 457 BC. This is also substantiated archaeologically and by the fulfillment of the Messianic prophesy (unto the Messiah) which is fulfilled to the letter in Jesus Christ as it points to 27 AD when Jesus was baptised. The prophecy only makes sense in all its components if the starting date is 457 BC.

According to Daniel 9:24 Gabriel explained that 70 weeks (490 years) were to be cut off, measured off, or appointed for God's people. This 490 year period was cut off from a longer time period. That period was the 2300 days or years mentioned in this vision. Therefore the 490 years and the 2300 years have the same beginning. The restoration decree issued by Artaxerxes in 457 B.C marks the beginning of the 2300 years.

(Seeing as how your information is 30 years old you might want to update it at this web site
support.amazingdiscoveries.org/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/260/0/dates-in-the-2300-day-prophecy )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"May the bones of the hands and the bones of the fingers decay and decompose, of him who turns the pages of the book of Daniel, to find out the time of Daniel 9:24-27, and may his memory rot from off the face of the earth forever.i

An ancient Rabbinic curse in the Talmud forbids people to read Daniel 9:24-27. Why? What are they trying to hide?

The 70-week prophecy, the greatest proof of Jesus as the Messiah, is found in these verses. They predict the time of the Messiah's anointing, putting the issue beyond doubt.

Let us unravel the prophecy by allowing Scripture to be its own expositor.

The Day-Year Principle
Prophecies are couched in symbolic language that needs to be unraveled before the meaning of the words can be understood. Prophetic time is used as a symbol to be interpreted in the light of Scripture.

According to the number of the days in which you spied out the land, forty days, for each day you shall bear your guilt one year, namely forty years (Numbers 14:34 NKJV).

I have appointed thee each day for a year (Ezekiel 4:6).

These two texts provide the key—the day-year principle. This principle takes prophetic days and converts them to actual years. Applying this principle to the 70-week prophecy will show that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah.

Six Messianic Tasks
Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy (Daniel 9:24).

“Thy people” were God’s chosen people Israel. Seventy weeks resolves into 490 days. Applying the day-year principle, 490 days become 490 years.

The 490 years were appointed to the Jewish nation for these six reasons found in Daniel 9:24:
1. to finish the transgression
2. to make an end of sins
3. to make reconciliation for iniquity
4. to bring in everlasting righteousness
5. to seal up vision and prophecy
6. to anoint the most Holy

These six issues could only be fulfilled in and through the Messiah. Who else could make reconciliation for iniquity or bring in everlasting righteousness?

Jesus Fulfills the Prophecy
Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate (Daniel 9:25-27).

The angel gives a breakdown of the 70 weeks as follows:

7 weeks of years for rebuilding of Jerusalem (verse 25)

62 weeks of years to the Messiah (verses 25-26)

1 week of years to the close of the period (verse 27)

The calculations are shown in the graph below:

The 2300-day prophecy, of which the 70-week prophecy is a small part, was to begin at the command that effected the restoration of Jerusalem. This command went forth under King Artaxerxes Longimanus in the year 457 BC (Ezra 7:12-13).ii

From this starting point, we can determine all the other time markers of the prophecy. Seven weeks were allotted for the restoration of Jerusalem. True to the prophecy, Jerusalem was rebuilt 49 years after 457 BC, which was 408 BC.

Seven weeks (49 day-years) for the rebuilding of Jerusalem and another threescore and two weeks (62 weeks or 434 day-years) brings us to "the Messiah the Prince." Beginning in 457 BC and applying the day-year principle, we can determine the passing of 483 years from 457 BC which brings us to 27 AD (allowing for the conversion from BC to AD being one extra year).

In 27 AD, Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit on the occasion of His baptism which marked the beginning of His ministry (Luke 3:21-23). This baptism marked the event in Daniel’s prophecy “unto the Messiah the Prince.” When Christ proclaimed, “The time is fulfilled” (Mark 1:15), He was referring to this part of the prophecy.iii

The end of the prophecy is 34 AD, 7 day-years after the baptism:
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease (Daniel 9:27).

Christ would confirm the covenant made with Israel for one prophetic week (7 years), but oblation (offerings) would cease in the middle of the week (3 ½ years after 27 AD). This mid-point brings us to 31 AD—the year Christ was crucified. It was at His death that he put an end to the system of offerings practiced by Israel for so many years.

Chiastic Structure
Some modern interpretations confuse the 70-week prophecy by applying it to the Antichrist, who (according to this interpretation) would arrive at the end of the Christian dispensation some time in the future.

However, the prophecy in Daniel 9:26-27 has a chiastic structure, and if this is taken into account, the apparent confusion in its literary style is eliminated:

And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

The chiastic structure is as follows:
* a. Messiah destroyed
* b. Sanctuary destroyed
* b1. Sacrifice terminated
* a1. Ruler destroyed

Verse 27 has an additional chiasm: “he—week—week—he,” again emphasizing the role of the Messiah. It can thus be said that the destruction of the Messiah caused "the sacrifice and the oblation to cease." The Messiah would also confirm His covenant with God’s people by His sacrificial death “in the midst of the week.”

John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, and Isaac Newton all connect the 70th week with the Messiah. When Christ cried “It is finished,” the priests were officiating in the temple. It was the hour of the evening sacrifice, and as the Passover lamb representing Christ was about to be slain, “the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake and the rocks rent” (Matthew 27:51).

After Christ died, rose again, and ascended to heaven, there were still 3 ½ day-years remaining in the prophecy. These ended in 34 AD with the stoning of Stephen (Acts 7:59-8:4). At that time the Gospel was given to the Gentiles by individual ambassadors from every nation. Paul, the very one who consented to the stoning of Stephen, became the apostle to the Gentile world. Israel ceased to be the recipient and channel of God’s truth.

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception_Jesus_70-week_prophecy_Daniel

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I notice that you did not provide scripture as requedted..

The text states that “unto 2300 days, then shall the sanctuary be cleansed”. Why does this period begin upon the 3rd declaration of rebuilding Jerusalem?

Only the third proclamation by Artaxerxes dealt with four traditional and political autonomy because it involved the total restoration of Jerusalem. The previous decrees by Cyrus and Darius, dealt specifically only with the temple. So the only date that can be used for the commencement of the prophecy is the Artaxerxes decree of 457 BC. This is also substantiated archaeologically and by the fulfillment of the Messianic prophesy (unto the Messiah) which is fulfilled to the letter in Jesus Christ as it points to 27 AD when Jesus was baptised. The prophecy only makes sense in all its components if the starting date is 457 BC.

According to Daniel 9:24 Gabriel explained that 70 weeks (490 years) were to be cut off, measured off, or appointed for God's people. This 490 year period was cut off from a longer time period. That period was the 2300 days or years mentioned in this vision. Therefore the 490 years and the 2300 years have the same beginning. The restoration decree issued by Artaxerxes in 457 B.C marks the beginning of the 2300 years.

(Seeing as how your information is 30 years old you might want to update it at this web site
support.amazingdiscoveries.org/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/260/0/dates-in-the-2300-day-prophecy )

You are not exactly quoting Daniel; Daniel 8:13-14 (NKJV)
13 Then I heard a holy one speaking; and another holy one said to that certain one who was speaking, "How long will the vision be, concerning the daily sacrifices and the transgression of desolation, the giving of both the sanctuary and the host to be trampled under foot?"
14 And he said to me, "For two thousand three hundred days; then the sanctuary shall be cleansed."

The two thousand three hundred days are the period of the vision which does not include the cleansing of the sanctuary. The vision concerns the daily sacrifice and the transgression of desolation, the giving of both the sanctuary and the host to be trampled under foot. And according to this, the trampling of both the sanctuary and the host are the transgression of desolation. After this the sanctuary is cleansed. The question for me is who are the host that are trodden under foot?

Daniel 9:24 (NKJV)
24 "Seventy weeks are determined For your people and for your holy city, To finish the transgression, To make an end of sins, To make reconciliation for iniquity, To bring in everlasting righteousness, To seal up vision and prophecy, And to anoint the Most Holy.

I am unable to see from scripture that the 490 years are cut off from a larger period; but from this verse it seems the Jews are the transgressors treading the sanctuary and host underfoot and are given until the Messiah arrives to make things right, which they failed to do.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"May the bones of the hands and the bones of the fingers decay and decompose, of him who turns the pages of the book of Daniel, to find out the time of Daniel 9:24-27, and may his memory rot from off the face of the earth forever.i

An ancient Rabbinic curse in the Talmud forbids people to read Daniel 9:24-27. Why? What are they trying to hide?

The 70-week prophecy, the greatest proof of Jesus as the Messiah, is found in these verses. They predict the time of the Messiah's anointing, putting the issue beyond doubt.

The Day-Year Principle
Prophecies are couched in symbolic language that needs to be unraveled before the meaning of the words can be understood. Prophetic time is used as a symbol to be interpreted in the light of Scripture.

According to the number of the days in which you spied out the land, forty days, for each day you shall bear your guilt one year, namely forty years (Numbers 14:34 NKJV).

These two texts provide the key—the day-year principle. This principle takes prophetic days and converts them to actual years. Applying this principle to the 70-week prophecy will show that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah.

Six Messianic Tasks
Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy (Daniel 9:24).

“Thy people” were God’s chosen people Israel. Seventy weeks resolves into 490 days. Applying the day-year principle, 490 days become 490 years.

The 490 years were appointed to the Jewish nation for these six reasons found in Daniel 9:24:

These six issues could only be fulfilled in and through the Messiah. Who else could make reconciliation for iniquity or bring in everlasting righteousness?

Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate (Daniel 9:25-27).

The 2300-day prophecy, of which the 70-week prophecy is a small part, was to begin at the command that effected the restoration of Jerusalem. This command went forth under King Artaxerxes Longimanus in the year 457 BC (Ezra 7:12-13).ii

From this starting point, we can determine all the other time markers of the prophecy. Seven weeks were allotted for the restoration of Jerusalem. True to the prophecy, Jerusalem was rebuilt 49 years after 457 BC, which was 408 BC.

Seven weeks (49 day-years) for the rebuilding of Jerusalem and another threescore and two weeks (62 weeks or 434 day-years) brings us to "the Messiah the Prince." Beginning in 457 BC and applying the day-year principle, we can determine the passing of 483 years from 457 BC which brings us to 27 AD (allowing for the conversion from BC to AD being one extra year).

In 27 AD, Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit on the occasion of His baptism which marked the beginning of His ministry (Luke 3:21-23). This baptism marked the event in Daniel’s prophecy “unto the Messiah the Prince.” When Christ proclaimed, “The time is fulfilled” (Mark 1:15), He was referring to this part of the prophecy.iii

And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease (Daniel 9:27).

Christ would confirm the covenant made with Israel for one prophetic week (7 years), but oblation (offerings) would cease in the middle of the week (3 ½ years after 27 AD). This mid-point brings us to 31 AD—the year Christ was crucified. It was at His death that he put an end to the system of offerings practiced by Israel for so many years.

Chiastic Structure
Some modern interpretations confuse the 70-week prophecy by applying it to the Antichrist, who (according to this interpretation) would arrive at the end of the Christian dispensation some time in the future.

However, the prophecy in Daniel 9:26-27 has a chiastic structure, and if this is taken into account, the apparent confusion in its literary style is eliminated:

And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

* a. Messiah destroyed
* b. Sanctuary destroyed
* a1. Ruler destroyed

Verse 27 has an additional chiasm: “he—week—week—he,” again emphasizing the role of the Messiah. It can thus be said that the destruction of the Messiah caused "the sacrifice and the oblation to cease." The Messiah would also confirm His covenant with God’s people by His sacrificial death “in the midst of the week.”

John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, and Isaac Newton all connect the 70th week with the Messiah. When Christ cried “It is finished,” the priests were officiating in the temple. It was the hour of the evening sacrifice, and as the Passover lamb representing Christ was about to be slain, “the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake and the rocks rent” (Matthew 27:51).

After Christ died, rose again, and ascended to heaven, there were still 3 ½ day-years remaining in the prophecy. These ended in 34 AD with the stoning of Stephen (Acts 7:59-8:4). At that time the Gospel was given to the Gentiles by individual ambassadors from every nation. Paul, the very one who consented to the stoning of Stephen, became the apostle to the Gentile world. Israel ceased to be the recipient and channel of God’s truth.

The seventy weeks are not a problem for me nor is Christ in doubt, but the sanctuary has not been cleansed yet; unless those who abrogate the Law are right. Regarding Daniel :)24, I do not believe the Jews were given an impossible task. But the 2300 year prophesy is still in doubt. If the seventy weeks is the small part what is the big part of the 2300 year prophesy?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The two thousand three hundred days are the period of the vision which does not include the cleansing of the sanctuary. The vision concerns the daily sacrifice and the transgression of desolation, the giving of both the sanctuary and the host to be trampled under foot. And according to this, the trampling of both the sanctuary and the host are the transgression of desolation. After this the sanctuary is cleansed. The question for me is who are the host that are trodden under foot?

Joh 10:22 Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter.

• Agree
Reactions: A71
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The Day-Year Principle

Six Messianic Tasks

Chiastic Structure

* a. Messiah destroyed
* b. Sanctuary destroyed
* a1. Ruler destroyed

Hello OHC.

I noticed this passage of yours.
This command went forth under King Artaxerxes Longimanus in the year 457 BC (Ezra 7:12-13).ii
Can you support this claim, how do you know the year was 457 BC?

Upvote 0