• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Where have all the Calvinists gone?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by puriteen18, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron S

Ron S VideoKilledTheRadioStar

+0
    Non-Denom
    I once read there was an evangelical interpretation called 'mere ... something' I've forgotten, been looking for the site but can't find it. Sorry.

I thought your explanations were very helpful thank you puriteen

2. sola fide

sola fide neo-Puritan

+6
    Calvinist
    Ah, you sound like me a year ago. I take it you're just not convinced on infant baptism I take it. It took me a year and a half of studying that issue before I was completely convicted about it. I was actually filling the pulpit in the same SBC church I mentioned when I became convicted about infant baptism. It led to a big mess between another member and myself. Because of it I ended up stepping down and going to a PCA church with about 30 members, it's the only PCA church within about 50 miles of here. Anyway, they have been very good to me and I am teaching Sunday school there now.
    Just to share another funny one with you...
    The Baptist church I worked at was confessional, but it also had a church covenant. The church covenant said that we were not allowed to drink alcoholic beverages. That was the starting point of many good jokes. My friends and I had a running gag about how many names we could think of for the "evils" of alchohol. For example, Satan's syrup, beelzebub's brew, lucifer's liquid, the devil's drink, etc. Those were fun days. The church had a discussion about this being taken out of the church covenant. That was a very interesting discussion needless to say. Those, including myself, who didn't think alcohol was inherantly evil ended up losing that one. One of the members even made the argument that if you have one drink of alcohol you automatically become a "drunkard". Boy, I'm glad I don't drink. That's lucifer's liquid for you I guess:) .

Grace.

3. Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior In need of direction

+25
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Ron, are you referring to 'Mere Christianity' by C.S. Lewis?

It's supposed to be very good, though I've not read it myself yet.

4. puriteen18

puriteen18 Member

+19
    Anglican
    You're very welcome.

5. puriteen18

puriteen18 Member

+19
    Anglican
    For a minute there you sounded exactly like this guy I know that left a Baptist Church (that I attend Wednesdays while at college) to go to about a 30 member PCA (that I attend on LORD's Day).

I had to check your personal page to see if you were him, but you're not.
    That is so weird. Your story is basically identical. Maybe its a sign

Yep, the Baptist stance on drinking. I'd have to say I subscribe to all those little Baptists things: no dancing, no drinking, no tobacco, I do go to some movies though.

I'm not a legalist. I abstain from those things because I think they are not profitable. I have no problem with anyone doing them. I don't think that their a sin in themselves. They seem to lead to things that are not so good though, and I just think its best for me to stay away from them all together.

Just a good little Baptist boy. :holy:

Smoking is the one that does seem sinful to me though. It does destoy the temple, but I am not going to concern myself with other's temples. Just keep my convictions on that to myself.

I do drink at Communion though. I don't think I'm suppose to count that though. It's probably not good for me to joke about it either. I just trust that God will forgive me for my silliness toward religion. He knows I'm just a sinner

I never dance (except when all alone and Handel is on my CD player, but now that you know, I'll have to kill you.)

I stay away from movies that are unapropriate, but love the others.

Did you see the Luther Movie? I heard that the Lutherans got together and paid for it.

Us Calvinists, should do the same thing and have 'Calvin: the Man, the Mission, the Movie'

Doubt it would go good in the boxoffice though.

6. sola fide

sola fide neo-Puritan

+6
    Calvinist
    I didn't get to see that movie about Luther. Hopefully I'll catch it one of these days, when it comes out on video. That would be neat to make a movie about Calvin. I could just see the shot of him protecting the Lord's table from the unregenerate.
    Anyway, I think holiness of life is very important of course. I just don't understand why every major baptist confession has had a chapter on liberty of the conscience, then ever since the rise of fundamentalism, liberty of the conscience has totally been ignored.
    I don't drink. I even drink grape juice in communion. But it just aggravates me to no end when a person will not concede that Christ turned water into wine, and not grape juice, and that He served real wine at communion. It's funny the lengths people will go to to try to prove their viewpoints, like totally ignore the plain and simple truth.
    May the Lord bless you.

Grace.

7. sola fide

sola fide neo-Puritan

+6
    Calvinist
    Oh I forgot! My favorite seen from "the Calvin movie" would be when he comes back to Geneva and picks up preaching on the very same verse he left off from when he left a few years prior. You've got to give it up for the man! He was committed to preaching the Bible.

Grace.

8. reformedfan

reformedfan Senior Veteran

+158
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Interestingly, if you read the last few chapters someplace in Loraine Boettner's "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination", every church in the old days was a Calvinistic, Psalm singing one. Not until the United Methodist Church embraced Arminianism in the 1850's did that heretical doctrine become the norm of the land, with it's Catholic-esqu 'man the co-equal partner of God, helping God secure the sinners own salvation.'
    It was the Calvinists' trust in a sovereign God who forordains whatsoever comes to pass that led to all the old great explorations by land & sea, rather than a superstitious, 'stay home & wait till it comes out on a map' attitude of non Calvinists, & superstitious heathens.
    I am so thankful to be a Calvinist, & we are all only that by God's grace alone. But for God's grace we'd be sovereignty denying Arminians, so be humble & thankful all you who knoew the truth.

9. michael servetus

michael servetus Member

+7
    Non-Denom
    In retrospect Calvin was 100% correct.

10. puriteen18

puriteen18 Member

+19
    Anglican
    Yeah, of course we believe in liberty of conscience. Very important to us in fact. I think it is best explained here:

Confession of the Nantucket Assembly
    Approved and signed by the Prebyt'ry of Elders
    in the Year of our LORD

Article MLLLXXXXXXIX (1/2)

Of the Liberty of Conscience

Everyman hath been priveledged from our Creator to certain liberties as to his religious conduct. We do firmly believe that man ought not to be bound by any tyrannt of the civil nor the ecclesiastical governments to worship or conduct his life after any particular creed. All should be given the freedom to be a good Baptist or not. And it is our most ardent prayer that God help those who choose the latter. Especially do we pray for these: social drinkers, theatre goers, and those who make their attendance at dances.

All joking aside I do believe that the member of the local shuch should take heed to the church's covenant, but he should understand that the covenant is man's to man. It is your covenant with your own church. It is not divinely inpsired and is not binding to all people. And we should do well to remember that we must keep our covenant with God before we keep our covenant to our church.​

11. puriteen18

puriteen18 Member

+19
    Anglican
    Glad to hear that Michael. No hard feelings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.