Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
puriteen18 said:
Have you read his Religious Affections? I just bought it, but haven't been able to really get into it.
That was the one I was talking about. I got the two volume "Works of Jonathan Edwards" a few years back and this was included with it (unfortunately in maddeningly small 7 point type...).

Anyways, I would highly suggest reading it when you get the chance. It is very insightful...

ken

Upvote 0

orange

Feb 3, 2004
Armenia
✟737.00
Faith
Protestant
It is your church that agree with homosexuals?? It is big sin. If you talk
you mush have a right on it, Have you a right?? I dont give you so right, if you protect "homuss".And God dont give you so right to speak.
You would say who are you to give me rights?? But this idea/question cant save you from God and from me.

Upvote 0

puriteen18

Oct 25, 2003
Alabama
✟703.00
Faith
Anglican
orange said:
It is your church that agree with homosexuals?? It is big sin. If you talk
you mush have a right on it, Have you a right?? I dont give you so right, if you protect "homuss".And God dont give you so right to speak.
You would say who are you to give me rights?? But this idea/question cant save you from God and from me.
Uhmm,, If you are asking whether Calvinists accept the act of sodomy as okay, I must say that any true Calvinist would most definately oppose it as an abomination.

I can't really understand your English though. Sorry...

Upvote 0

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
puriteen18 said:
I too am a 1689er (don't let the Presbies find out).

My favorite preacher is Mr. Paul Washer of Heart Cry Missions. Definately the Johnathan Edwards of our day.

You can hear his sermons at http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

They're wonderful.
Did someone say Jonathan Edwards? Anyway, I too would be a Calvinist.

Oh how you remind me of my SBC days :) . I was on staff at a founders church at way too young of an age (I would still be too young). The problem was, half of the church members were pure outright John Hagee/Adrien Rogers lovin' dispensationalists, most of whom believed in a mid-trib rapture. You should have seen them all when we went through our series on eschaetology. I got to cover postmillinialism, that received a very "interesting" reaction.
Anyway, it was a founders church, but some of the church members thought the main "founder" of the SBC was R.G. Lee *budum bum*. Thank you, thank you, you're a wonderful audience.
Anyway, my pastor and I would jokingly say to one another at the end of a hard day, paraphrasing Martin Luther, "help us St. John of Geneva and we will become Presbyterians" ;) .
Guess what.....We did :clap: !
We live a time zone away from each other now but we both ended up as Presbyterians nonetheless. I don't think it had anything to do with St. John of Geneva though, I think it was more divine providence ;) .

I'm sorry, I just had to share that.

Grace.

Upvote 0

Ron S

VideoKilledTheRadioStar
Feb 3, 2004
✟186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
pcwilkins said:
Whats a Calvinist? Someone who believes in Free Grace, and Grace alone? That'll be me, then!

PCW
By your definition, we are all Calvinists.
Christianity is based upon one God in three persons, all powerful and ever-living.

I personally appreciate Calvin's work. He was obviously disciplined and intelligent. There is little way in his work which could be considered un-biblical.
He took Christianity and adapted it to his own way of thinking. I don't think he did anything evil, contrary to the opinions of some members posting in the Apologetics threads.

Upvote 0

puriteen18

Oct 25, 2003
Alabama
✟703.00
Faith
Anglican
sola fide said:
Did someone say Jonathan Edwards? Anyway, I too would be a Calvinist.

Oh how you remind me of my SBC days. I was on staff at a founders church at way too young of an age (I would still be too young). The problem was, half of the church members were pure outright John Hagee/Adrien Rogers lovin' dispensationalists, most of whom believed in a mid-trib rapture. You should have seen them all when we went through our series on eschaetology. I got to cover postmillinialism, that received a very "interesting" reaction.
Anyway, it was a founders church, but some of the church members thought the main "founder" of the SBC was R.G. Lee *budum bum*. Thank you, thank you, you're a wonderful audience.
Anyway, my pastor and I would jokingly say to one another at the end of a hard day, paraphrasing Martin Luther, "help us St. John of Geneva and we will become Presbyterians".
Guess what.....We did!
We live a time zone away from each other now but we both ended up as Presbyterians nonetheless. I don't think it had anything to do with St. John of Geneva though, I think it was more divine providence.

I'm sorry, I just had to share that.

Grace.
Where did you get that "St John of Geneva" stuff. That is so funny. Can't wait to share it with my Reformed friends.

I have many times wished that I too could be a Presby. I attend their churches when I am unable to go to a "Calvinist-Friendly" (as opposed to "seeker-friendly") Baptist Church. Your church is so wonderful! I even prefer your Church government system, but just can't get over those certain Baptist convictions that started our little branch of Puritanism in the first place. Oh well, maybe we'll all be Presbies in Heaven (or Reformed Baptist :p )

As long as we stick together down here I think it will all work out though.
(besisdes we need to gang up on those Wesleyans, and can't do it alone);)

Hope none of my Methodist friends find that; I already think there on to me. I'd better keep low for a while.

Anyway I am Amillenial, hold the Reformed veiw of Communion, and, if I may repeat myself, like the Presbyterian for of Government far better than the Congregational (which by the way some RBs are getting together and starting to use)

Hmmm. Maybe we really all will become Presbyterians before it's all over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

puriteen18

Oct 25, 2003
Alabama
✟703.00
Faith
Anglican
pcwilkins said:
Whats a Calvinist? Someone who believes in Free Grace, and Grace alone? That'll be me, then!

PCW
It does go a little deeper than that. You could be a Lutheran or Brethren and believe in those. (By the way when God first revealed to me that election was indeed unconditional, I first though about joining one of the Brethern Churches.)

These links might help:

If you agree with this your a Presbyterian, faithful to his heritage:
http://www.apuritansmind.com/Creeds/WestminsterConfession/WestminsterShorterCatechism.htm

If you agree with this one your a Particular (or Reformed) Baptist:
http://www.apuritansmind.com/Creeds/BenjaminKeach'sCatechism.htm

And if you agree with this your a Jedi (not a Calvinist at all)
http://www.jediism.org/ (scary thing about this is that it is not a joke.)

Upvote 0

puriteen18

Oct 25, 2003
Alabama
✟703.00
Faith
Anglican
Ron S said:
There are several 'reformed views of communion'
Which do you hold if I may ask?
Not that I know of.

There's the Catholic veiw:
Transubstantiation-that the elements actually become the real Body and Blood. Atoning Grace is recieved.

There's the Lutheran veiw:
Consubstantiation-that,while the elements stay bread and wine, Christ's Body and Blood is present with the elements. Confirmation Grace is recieved.

There's the Reformed veiw:
(no other name that I no of)- that Christ is not present in the carnal sense, but is spiritually present in the partaking of the Elements. Grace through the Sacrament bestows on us spiritual nourishment.

And the Zwinglian veiw:
Memorial-That Christ is not present anymore in the Supper than He is anywhere else. The LORD's Supper is not a Sacrament in any sense of the word. It is just done to remember the sacrifice of Jesus. No Grace is recieved.

Please do correct whatever I may have not properly explained.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
puriteen18 said:
There's the Reformed veiw:
(no other name that I no of)- that Christ is not present in the carnal sense, but is spiritually present in the partaking of the Elements. Grace through the Sacrament bestows on us spiritual nourishment.
Another name is "spiritual presence."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.