Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"bring up good kids" isn't quite the words I'd use.
I want my kids to become independent, to be able to navigate and thrive throughout society and their lives. It's not my intent to bestow upon them what is good and what is not good. That they can decide for themselves, if they must, I'm giving them tools, not answers.

I understand. "Good" not in the sense of good or acceptable behaviour, but how you'd like to see them. In your case, independent thinkers and successful.

What is my biggest or most important goal?
I don't think I can simplify my life down into just a single goal. Life is complex and often full of conflicts and choices. I do, however value my health and well being and the health and well being of my immediate family very highly. Perhaps that is my foremost goal, to be in a state of health with a positive looking future for myself and immediate family, if these are sufficiently taken care of then I can indulge in other goals.

Another good one. Good health.

I absolutely share same goals as you are, as most people on the planet more or less, I suppose. The only thing, in my case it's piano and not the guitar. :)

Are you active politically or socially? All your goals encompass yourself and your immediate family. How about the greater society? Do you care? Is it important for you at all? Do you try and bring about any change? By action, preaching, example? If answer to any of the questions yes, then what level of society are you aiming at? Local, national, global?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say each atheist is unique; so you might need to talk with each one, in order to find out if the person has morals or not, and how he or she decides what they are.

For some number of atheists, I think it is possible that they have standards which they feel will help them get along with people so they can have the things they want in life. They want to make sure they do not do anything which helps to cause others to make problems with them getting things they want. These would tend to be more social and humanitarian atheists.

But I understand there are ones who could care less about social standards, and they might be rough and tumble drinkers and smokers, and there have been narcissists who have used their power to kill or cause the killing of millions of people.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I absolutely share same goals as you are, as most people on the planet more or less, I suppose. The only thing, in my case it's piano and not the guitar. :)
LOL, yes, atheists/theists, when it comes down to it we have many values and goals in common.
Our explanation how we got to these goals might be different, but essentially we share some goals.

Are you active politically or socially?
Not really. I don't think I can make much of a difference. I'm not passionate enough to put heaps of effort into making change in the world.

Politically I lean center right, I'm all for encouraging business in order to create jobs and money circulation. But I also support public health, public education and support for those down on their luck in order to get them back on their feet. I am for small govt (I want govt to intervene to support a safe and thriving economy and society) but not a moral one. I like and value diversity and inclusion. I like and value autonomy.

I am fortunate enough to live in a free and forward thinking society. I don't feel the need to get politically involved.

How about the greater society? Do you care? Is it important for you at all? Do you try and bring about any change? By action, preaching, example? If answer to any of the questions yes, then what level of society are you aiming at? Local, national, global?
I care for freedom. Things that I feel strongly towards is equal opportunity, and autonomy. I like that NZ was the first country to give women the vote, I like that we accept same sex marriage in NZ (am I allowed to tell you that on this forum?), I like that we are a secular country and I am hoping that one day we allow euthanasia. I also like that prostitution is legal here, even though it isn't something that I will take advantage of.
I don't like "affirmative action" policies. I'm not a fan of unions.

I have a tendency to be anti-theist. I want people to become independent, and make their own choices rather than be dictated to by an authority, I don't like seeing nursery rhymes re-written to include god in it, I don't like seeing young children brought into religion before they have learnt skepticism and critical thinking. But in saying that I support allowing people to bring up their children how they choose fit, I support people creating churches and belonging to churches if they see fit. Just because I don't like something, it doesn't mean I am motivated to make it against the law or to go up to people and tell them that what they are doing is wrong. I respect that people are best to decide for themselves what to do.
But I don't go to the street and preach anti-theism, I don't go to internet forums and preach anti-theism. These things do matter to me, but I am not politically active.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would say each atheist is unique; so you might need to talk with each one, in order to find out if the person has morals or not, and how he or she decides what they are.

For some number of atheists, I think it is possible that they have standards which they feel will help them get along with people so they can have the things they want in life.

It's not always about self interest. There are many atheists whom have ideals. We are brought up into a moralistic world, our stories and movies are often full of "moral ideas and lessons", there are also many atheists who used to be theists and carry with them the "baggage"of the morals that they were taught and loved from their prior belief system.
Most atheists I have discussed this with seem to go along with a form of the golden rule "treat others as you want to be treated" some have a mantra of "maximise happiness, minimise suffering". Some atheists are vegan or vegitarians because of this. Some atheists follow their heart (empathy). We aren't all purely selfish and purely rational.

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Baldwin or Guinness?
f99c72e7e39e8f85348f793e0b763e16.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A lot of the people in the world are good people.

Won't get them anywhere when they die.

Can't be good enough on our own.

M-Bob
It's true. Being good won't help much when I'm a bowl of dust but for now that I'm not one, it tends to go quite a ways in making life a little better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

For some number of atheists, I think it is possible that they have standards which they feel will help them get along with people so they can have the things they want in life. They want to make sure they do not do anything which helps to cause others to make problems with them getting things they want. These would tend to be more social and humanitarian atheists.

But I understand there are ones who could care less about social standards, and they might be rough and tumble drinkers and smokers, and there have been narcissists who have used their power to kill or cause the killing of millions of people.

Atheists are strongly influenced by the Judeo-Christian culture they grow up in, including moral values.

• Agree
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
At one time I had morels. They were at the base of a tree in my own front yard. But it was a big ash tree, which got infested with that pest and had to be taken down.

So now I'm morelly deficient.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Interesting. Sounds very sensible and noble. However, beyond theoretical declarations, what do you think your life is?
I don´t understand the question.
Is there a goal/goals for your living?
You mean a goal determined by some external agency? No.
It seems to me that life is the very frame of reference within which and in regards to which we set our goals.
What is it (are they)?
Buying the best morels at a reasonable price.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
But I understand there are ones who could care less about social standards,
Personally speaking, in my experience it´s rather some Christians that propagate and take great pride in disregarding the standards "of the world".

Upvote 0