Where and how to start reading the Bible?

chillguy

Feb 24, 2017
United States
✟8,469.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been wanting to get back into Christianity but I'm not entirely sure where I should start reading the Bible? Should I start from the beginning or is the old testament overridden by the new testament? Also, apologies if this a bit vague, but how literal should I take the bible for? Should I take it as face value or no? Thanks in advance!

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been wanting to get back into Christianity but I'm not entirely sure where I should start reading the Bible? Should I start from the beginning or is the old testament overridden by the new testament? Also, apologies if this a bit vague, but how literal should I take the bible for? Should I take it as face value or no? Thanks in advance!
Pray and read
Read and pray

Start in the New Testament
And believe

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would start in both... read a couple of chapters of Genesis, and then Matthew, go back and forth. Also, I would take it literally for now until for form your own paradigm... but take it literally knowing there are abstract phrases and words used in the bible. For example, when it says, "God is a rock," that doesn't mean you can go outside and pick up God. :) It just means He is steadfast like a rock. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone answers this question a little differently. In general, people agree that the New Testament (NT) is what to start with first. I would also include Genesis, because it has some of the narratives people have generally heard of (Adam & Eve, Noah, etc.).

The first 4 books of the NT are called the "gospels" (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). Each of them are accounts of Jesus' time on earth from 4 different authors (whose names are the names of each book). After that is the book of Acts which is an account of some of the events around the expansion of the church after Jesus died and ascended to heaven.

After that are the books of Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, and Galatians. These are dense books that have a lot of theological information in them, especially the book of Romans. However, Galatians and Romans are part of the foundation of understanding some of the basics of Christianity.

The book of Romans through the book of Philemon (13 books) are all written by the Apostle Paul (previously known as Saul), who was converted to Christianity in the book of Acts by Jesus appearing to him. They are all letters that Paul wrote to the various churches he had planted in the past (basically all Northwest and West of Israel). Some of the letters are long and some are short. Paul addresses various problems or misunderstandings that a church was having, although he also expected the letters to be read by some of the other churches in the region. Of special interest might be the book of Ephesians which is a kind of overview of "everything." Btw, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus were letters Paul wrote to other ministers, rather than churches.

After Paul's letters, there is the book of Hebrews (whose authorship is not clear) which is a book written to Jewish people and it explains quite a lot for those that know the ways the Jews worshiped God before Jesus came. This is a book that is difficult to understand until one is familiar with the relationship between God and the Jewish people in the OT.

Then are books from James, the brother of Jesus who was the leader of the Jerusalem church, 1 Peter and 2 Peter, which were written by Peter, one of the Apostles, then 1 John, 2 John, and 3 John which were written by the Apostle John, then Jude (written by "a bond-servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James"), and lastly the book of Revelation which was also written by the Apostle John. Revelation contains a lot of imagery of future events and there is a lot of dispute about what various sections mean. However, the first 3 chapters and last 3 aren't so bad, and I recommend definitely reading the last 2 or 3 chapters.

The Old Testament (OT) is, in general, fairly tough to follow until you have a basic feel for the timeline of the major events that happened to the Jewish people—something worth looking into before getting into the OT. It reveals how the Jews kept rejecting God and God's response (which is why God seems harsh to some people, when it was actually people's sin that was harsh and God acting to prevent its spread as it had before the Flood and Noah's Ark).

In the OT, however, are the book of Psalms and Proverbs which stand by themselves in the sense that you can read bits and pieces of them any time you want often without having much context and understanding of other parts of the Bible. It's worth taking a glance at them to see if you would like reading bits of them every now and then.

Before reading any book, it is well worthwhile to look up an explanation of what the book is about beforehand, because it can give an orientation that helps the book make a lot more sense. An orientation will already be in Study Bibles in front of each book. Also pay attention to the first few verses in each book, because often it helps with the context such as whether the book

For reference, these are the books in the NT in order:
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts,
Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians,
Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians,
1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon,
Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter,
1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, (bold mine, 2 Timothy 3:16, 1984 NIV)

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 1:20-21, 1984 NIV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John is a good starting point. The Bible is not in chronological order. I have read published versions of the Bible that try to put it in chronological order but have found them more confusing since they omit duplication. I like having my ducks in a row so I created my own reading schedule of the Bible in chronological order. Bear in mind there is some disagreement regarding some chronologies. I make no claim to perfection, but I think it is helpful.

I have it available online in the appendix of a book I wrote in pdf format called, That Which Was Lost.
Open the bookmarks inside the pdf and scroll down to the Appendix A: A More Sure Word and go to Reading Schedule of the Bible in Chronological Order. I recently reviewed it and discovered I had left out a NT book. So not 100% reliable, but makes for an interesting read. Especially the Old Testament which is divided by Law Prophets and Writings. In New Testament it is helpful to know the general time of writing epistles and to see their place in the book of Acts.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Read the Gospel of Mark first. It is believed to be the oldest Gospel and the most focused on Jesus actions, so it is simple to read and understand. After that, you can read the Gospel of Luke and Paul's letter to the Romans, and then maybe the Gospel of John.

Mark was actually the Gospel that catechumens (students) were first exposed to.

The Bible can be taken at face value generally though at times Jesus speech is hyperbolic or mystical, and I would not consider the Bible a science textbook necessarily. Some parts can be difficult to understand due to having a largely alien culture. If you really want to understand it beyond a superficial level, you are going to have to delve into scholarship regarding the text, even if it is just aimed at amateurs. Also I would recommend eventually studying some Church history, and perhaps even a bit of historical theology, to understand the history of interpretation of the text. Otherwise you are going to be potentially bewildered by the variety of interpretations.

John is actually one of the harder books, I would not recommend reading it first. It is a very theological and mystical book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Genesis -John-Romans-Galatians-Matthew is a good start.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm not going to say much of anything different than the others here, but you might try to keep it simple in beginning by picking one of the three Synoptic Gospels, then reading the Gospel of John, followed by the Book of Acts........This way, by going through the basic history of Jesus' Advent and of His Church, you'll gain an initial idea as to how all the other letters in the N.T. connect, and see some of the implications of how this, and the O.T., all tie together.

Just my suggestion, but you do as the Holy Spirit leads you to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You're bound to get all sorts of answers. As far as where to start, I always tell people to start with either the Gospel of Luke or Gospel of Mark (I prefer Luke). Both are excellent starting places because all four Gospels tell the same story of Jesus, but in different ways, the reason I recommend Mark or Luke is because they tend to be some of the more straightforward with a broad scope. Matthew is intentionally written for a Jewish audience and so assumes his reader already has a lot of familiarity with the writings of the Prophets in the Old Testament. John is a very theologically dense text, many suggest reading it first but I don't understand why, it's a very dense and theologically complex text that is very good, but certainly isn't for newbies, not without a great deal of commentary or external help in reading through it. So Mark or Luke, Mark is the shortest of the Gospel texts and tends to be "just the facts", "Jesus did this, then He did that, then He said this" it's brief and paced quickly. Luke, on the other hand, is written to a specific individual and is an account of Jesus' life, sayings, His passion, death, resurrection; Luke also has the benefit of being the first part of a two-part work. The book of Acts is the story of how following Jesus' resurrection and ascension Jesus' followers went out and spread His message, as such Luke and Acts make up a two-part work, making Luke even more valuable in my opinion.

So start with Mark or Luke, but obviously I think Luke is preferable here. And if you go with Luke that means you can immediately jump into Acts, where that is helpful is that Acts will introduce you to St. Paul the Apostle, the persecutor-turned-Christian apostle who is the most prolific writer of the books which make up the New Testament (13 of the 27 books total). That can also transition nicely to reading St. Paul's letter to the Romans (his letter written to the Christian community in the city of Rome), it's often regarded as one of the greatest texts in the entire New Testament and is a beloved treasure to Christians of all eras, ancient and modern.

Luke, Acts, Romans will give you perhaps the most solid basic grasp of the most fundamental ideas in the entire New Testament. From here on you can pretty much read whatever you want.

I originally had some summaries of some books of the Old Testament here, but decided I didn't want to overwhelm you (if I haven't already), I would mostly focus on reading Mark or Luke for right now. Then go from there.

The one book I wouldn't recommend reading is the Revelation, it's the last book of the Bible. There's nothing wrong with reading it of course, but it's also the most contentious and confusing book in the entire Christian Bible, there are almost as many interpretations of it as there are Christians. Which means that if you decide to read it, and find yourself completely and utterly confused by it, well that's quite alright, it's a very bizarre book that is part of an ancient genre of literature known as apocalyptic--a kind of literature that involves lots of graphic imagery and symbolism.

As for reading something literally or non-literally. Well there's a great deal of debate in this regard, generally speaking this depends entirely on which book, or even what parts of a book, one is reading. And you'll get very different opinions on this. For example, I don't take the early chapters of Genesis literally, I don't believe they are meant to be taken literally; and I could go into a lot of reasons for that but suffice to say that you will also find people who will insist that they should be taken literally. That seems like a bridge that should be crossed when you get to it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Start with the Romans read through to Philemon. And go back to Romans again.
I agree pretty much with this. Romans will tell you who you are in Christ and it is so full of information that it is often quoted. When you read the New Testament and see all the blessings, love and forgiveness in Christ it will make you appreciate what we have now that the Old Covenant people did not have. I also agree with the person who said find out about each of the books before you read them because this added understanding will help you a lot to put things in perspective.

It is a wonderful journey, the Bible. Believe God's promises are for you because they are.

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am in the same boat. I was told to start at Mathew.

Do you self study to learn a field of knowledge like engineering?
It would be difficult, wouldn't it?
Most of the time you would be lost
And end up, giving up.

When you want to know a particular field of knowledge where should you go?

sk1.jpg

Same is true if you are looking for the knowledge about God where should you go?

My advice go to your neighborhood church where there are bible studies being conducted. Ask questions and your doubts. You will get your answers first hand.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Men won't always tell you the truth. (no surprise, eh?)
(no, I haven't read any other posts in this thread yet - only the OP quoted here).
Here is what is written, concerning the disciples of Y'SHUA(JESUS) :

" Then opened HE their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,"

Go ahead and find it in all the translations on biblegateway . com ....

The scriptures the disciples ALL had, and Y'SHUA trained them ,
was TORAH, PROPHETS, PSALMS. (i.e. basicly OLD TESTAMENT).

FROM the SCRIPTURES Y'SHUA showed them HE IS MESSIAH, and must suffer, and be raised from the dead never to die again.
i.e. FROM the OLD TESTAMENT they all read, listened to every 7th day SABBATH in synagogue...

In other words, trust YHWH (GOD) . Seek YHWH. Follow Y'SHUA (JESUS) ...... with your whole heart and soul and mind, with everything that is within you, serve the MASTER.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums