When will Elijah the prophet appear in the world?

B

Bible2

Jon Anon said in post 699:

What do you think Ezekiel 37 is talking about?

Ezekiel chapters 36-37 could refer to a restoration of the Jews to their land during the future millennium.

On the other hand, the rebudding of the fig tree in Matthew 24:32 could refer to the 1948 reestablishment of Israel, just as Jesus' cursing of the fig tree (Matthew 21:19) was symbolic of his curse on unbelieving, Old Covenant Israel (Matthew 21:43). The Israel that was reestablished in 1948 is the same Old Covenant Israel that Jesus cursed at his first coming. For it still rejects Jesus and still considers itself to be under the Old Covenant. This Israel merely "putting forth leaves" again (Matthew 24:32) in 1948 was nothing more than a restoration to what the fig tree in Matthew 21:19,43 had been before it was cursed forever by Jesus and then destroyed in 70 AD: a tree with leaves, but without any fruit. And the unbelieving, Old Covenant Israel which was reestablished (by men) in 1948 may never bear fruit. For it could be destroyed before Jesus' 2nd coming, during a future war, by a Baathist army, just as it had been destroyed in 70 AD by a Roman-empire army.

But Jesus' kingdom is still called "Israel" (John 1:49, John 12:13-15, John 19:19, Luke 22:30). And at Jesus' 2nd coming, he will sit on the earthly throne of David (Luke 1:32-33, Isaiah 9:7), and restore the kingdom to Israel (Acts 1:6-7, Acts 3:20-21). Jesus is, in his humanity, the son of David (Matthew 1:1, Matthew 21:15-16, Romans 1:3), of the house of David (Luke 1:69). So at Jesus' 2nd coming, he will restore the tabernacle, the house, of David (Isaiah 16:5, Amos 9:11) to its royal glory (2 Samuel 5:12), which it had lost (2 Kings 17:21a). And Jesus will fulfill the prophecy and prayer of 2 Samuel 7:16-29. And he will bring salvation to all the still-living, unbelieving elect Jews of the house of David. For they (along with all other still-living, unbelieving elect Jews) will come into faith in him when they see him at his 2nd coming (Zechariah 12:10-14, Zechariah 13:1,6, Romans 11:26-31). And so they will all become part of the church at that time, for now there are no believers outside of the church (Ephesians 4:4-6).

After Jesus' 2nd coming (Revelation 19:7 to 20:3, Zechariah 14:3-5) will occur the millennium (Revelation 20:4-6, Zechariah 14:8-21), during which time the Gentile nations will come to seek the returned Jesus ruling the whole earth (Zechariah 8:22, Zechariah 14:9, Psalms 72:8-11) on the restored throne of David (Isaiah 9:7) in the earthly Jerusalem (Isaiah 2:1-4, Zechariah 14:8-11,16-19). And the physically resurrected church will reign on the earth with Jesus during the millennium (Revelation 20:4-6, Revelation 5:10, Revelation 2:26-29). For the church is Israel (Romans 11:1,17,24, Ephesians 2:12,19, Galatians 3:29, Revelation 21:9,12; 1 Peter 2:9-10).

Jon Anon said in post 699:

Do you really think God is going to let the northern kingdom just be gone forever without joining it again to make Israel a complete house again? Of course not in the end the lost 10 tribes(joseph/ephraim) join back together with Judah and will be one kingdom again and all of Israel with be whole again . . .

Jews include individuals from all 12 of Israel's tribes, for there are no lost tribes, insofar as the 10 northern tribes weren't entirely lost to history. In 722 BC, the northern kingdom of Israel fell and its individuals were taken into captivity into Assyria (2 Kings 18:11), never to return to the land of Israel. They and their descendants were lost to history. But the 10 northern tribes in themselves weren't lost to history. For some 200 years before the captivity of the northern kingdom, when it first become idolatrous, some individuals from all 10 of the northern tribes left the northern kingdom to become part of the southern kingdom of Judah (2 Chronicles 11:16-17), and so by definition they all became Jews. That's why later the Jews living in the 1st century AD could be referred to as including all 12 tribes (Acts 26:7, James 1:1), and why at that time Anna could be said to be of the northern tribe of Asher (Luke 2:36), one of the so-called "lost" tribes.

So the people alive today who are descended genetically from a 1st century AD Jew would include individuals from all 12 tribes. Some of these descendants could know that they are Jews because their individual ancestors over the last 2,000 years kept their Jewish identity and didn't intermarry with Gentiles. But others of these descendants could know themselves only as Gentiles because their individual ancestors over the last 2,000 years eventually abandoned their Jewish identity and intermarried freely with Gentiles, to the point where their descendants alive today are almost entirely Gentile genetically. Similarly, regarding the individuals of the northern kingdom of Israel who were lost to history at its captivity: over the past 2,700 years, their descendants must have eventually abandoned their Israelite identity and freely intermarried with Gentiles, to the point where their descendants alive today would know themselves only as Gentiles, and would be almost entirely Gentile genetically.

--

Also, while God knows which people alive today are descended from one of the 12 sons of Jacob/Israel from whom the 12 genetic tribes arose (Genesis 49:28), nonelect Israelites/Jews aren't considered by God to be truly Israel (Romans 9:6-11) or truly Jews (Revelation 2:9b, Revelation 3:9), or God's children or Abraham's children, but the children of the devil (John 8:39-47), just as all the nonelect, no matter whether they are Jews or Gentiles, are considered by God to be the children of the devil (Matthew 13:38-39).

Some genetic Israelites are believers, and so are members of the church (Ephesians 4:4-6) and Israel at the same time, just as, for example, the genetic Jew Paul (Acts 22:3) is a member of the church and Israel at the same time (Romans 11:1). And some still-living, non-believing genetic Israelites are still considered by God to be Israel insofar as they are elect (Romans 11:25,28). All the still-living, elect, non-believing genetic Israelites who don't become believers before Jesus' 2nd coming will become believers (and so will become members of the church: cf. Ephesians 4:4-6) at the 2nd coming (Romans 11:26), when they will see the returned Jesus in person (Zechariah 12:10-14). But even though all those still-living, elect, genetic Israelites will eventually become believers and be saved, they will be only a remnant of all genetic Israelites (Romans 9:27), most of whom will never be saved, just as most of humanity in general, both Jews and Gentiles, will never be saved (Matthew 7:14, Matthew 22:14).

--

Also, the 12 tribes of Israel aren't countries or regions (as is sometimes claimed), but consist of individuals who can be living in any country or region. Otherwise, one's tribe would change whenever one moved from one country or region to another. Also, nothing requires that any of the nominally-Christian nations are descended from any of the ancient 12 tribes of Israel, instead of them all simply being Gentile nations. For Christians come from every nation on the earth (Revelation 5:9b), and only a remnant of genetic Israel gets saved (Romans 9:27), just as only a remnant of humanity as a whole gets saved (Matthew 7:14, Matthew 22:14). Also, the entire church throughout the world is the 12 tribes of Israel (Revelation 21:9,12).

(See the 2nd half of the prior post)

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
SAY WHAT!

The angel said he was a prophet! To reverse it, the prophet is an angel. Hmmm! Revelation 22:9 (NKJV) - "...For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book."

Many brothers and sisters skip past that statement made by the angel to John. It is important that we do not do that.

WE MUST LISTEN TO HIM!

Let me explain. Let us start at the beginning to determine the end. Then we can see who this angel is and what this has to do with the Elijah.

The Word is clear. The Lord Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father as a High Priest according to the order of Melchizedek crowned with authority waiting for restoration and for His enemies to be made into His footstool.

Matthew 28:18 (NKJV) - "18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth."

This restoration includes Israel and the covenant. Israel must deal with its sin and failure to be the priestly nation they promised to be. Who does the Lord send to help with this restoration?

Exodus 19:3-6 (NKJV) - "3 And Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 4 ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself. 5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.”

Exodus 20:18-20 (NKJV) - "18 Now all the people witnessed the thunderings, the lightning flashes, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood afar off. 19 Then they said to Moses, “You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.” 20 And Moses said to the people, “Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin.”

However, Israel sinned and failed to keep the covenant. They went after false gods and became a harlot. However, the LORD has not given up on Israel. He will deal with them and their sins in the last days when He visits them for punishment. They must now be purified before meeting the Lord.

Exodus 23:20-22 (NKJV) - "20 “Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. 21 Beware of Him and obey His voice; do not provoke Him, for He will not pardon your transgressions; for My name is in Him. 22 But if you indeed obey His voice and do all that I speak, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries."

Exodus 32:30-34 (NKJV) - "30 Now it came to pass on the next day that Moses said to the people, “You have committed a great sin. So now I will go up to the LORD; perhaps I can make atonement for your sin.” 31 Then Moses returned to the LORD and said, “Oh, these people have committed a great sin, and have made for themselves a god of gold! 32 Yet now, if You will forgive their sin—but if not, I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written.” 33 And the LORD said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book. 34 Now therefore, go, lead the people to the place of which I have spoken to you. Behold, My Angel shall go before you. Nevertheless, in the day when I visit for punishment, I will visit punishment upon them for their sin.””

"...in the day when I visit for punishment, I will visit punishment upon them for their sin.”

The remnant of the children of Israel will be led back to where the covenant began, back to the mountain of God. Who will lead them?

Deuteronomy 18:15-19 (NKJV) - "15 “The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear, 16 according to all you desired of the LORD your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, ‘Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die.’ 17 “And the LORD said to me: ‘What they have spoken is good. 18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. 19 And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him."

Notice how the angel in Exodus 23:20-22 sounds a lot like the prophet in Deuteronomy 18:15-19? Israel must listen to him! What did the angel say to John? "...For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book."

Last book of the OT:
Malachi 4:4-6 (NKJV) - "4 “Remember the Law of Moses, My servant,
Which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel,
With the statutes and judgments.
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet
Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD.
6 And he will turn
The hearts of the fathers to the children,
And the hearts of the children to their fathers,
Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.”

The children are going back to the mountain of God! Who will lead them in this Second Exodus?

Last book of the NT:
Revelation 22:6-11 (NKJV) -
"6 Then he said to me, “These words are faithful and true.” And the Lord God of the holy prophets sent His angel to show His servants the things which must shortly take place.
7 “Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.” 8 Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things. 9 Then he said to me, “See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.” 10 And he said to me, “Do not seal the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is at hand. 11 He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.”

Revelation 22:16-17 (NKJV) - "16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.” 17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely."

So the Lord Jesus sends His angel to bring about restoration.

Who is this angel? Remember what He said: "33 And the LORD said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book. 34 Now therefore, go, lead the people to the place of which I have spoken to you. Behold, My Angel shall go before you. Nevertheless, in the day when I visit for punishment, I will visit punishment upon them for their sin.””

So did anyone else speak of such an angel that will lead the children and mention "the book"? Yes!

Daniel 12:1 (NKJV) -
"“At that time Michael shall stand up,
The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people;
And there shall be a time of trouble,
Such as never was since there was a nation,
Even to that time.
And at that time your people shall be delivered,
Every one who is found written in the book."

Ahhh! The Book of Life!

Revelation 18:18-21 (NKJV) -
"8 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. "20 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.” Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus! 21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

The Lord's angel is a prophet. The prophet is an angel. Not my word, but the Word!

P.S. What will his earthly name be? That is, the name of his flesh? We will find out in due time. But you must listen to him for it will be the last call for repentance!

I know this is very hard for some to digest for it is quite SUPERNATURAL!

John

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jon Anon...you may as well move on...you thought Elijah would come some time ago. WHen that failed..you disappeared.

As for Matthew 17:11...did you just stop there...OR did you include the rest of the passage:?
12 but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.”
13 Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist.

Is that registering?

When you take all the accounts of this...it's crystal clear this was John the Baptist...but when you only want to look at portions...and not look at everything...you end up with your nonsense...stargazing and "what not".

Who said he is not here? He is the "hidden" servant. The Lord will reveal him in His own time. Jon Anon (waterman) prophesied correctly when he said "Elijah the prophet will return July 4 2012 Tennessee (Warning will follow)" on GLP. It happened. That is, if you are willing to receive it. The Lord will point to him with some quite obvious hints. Again, if you are willing to receive it.

HINT: Type in Whirlwind Road 37743 in the Google search engine and see where it takes you. Tennessee!

Why Whirlwind you ask? He shall return the way he left. Whirlwind!

2 Kings 2:11 (NKJV) - "Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."

That is enough for now. More hints later.

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Who said he is not here? He is the "hidden" servant. The Lord will reveal him in His own time. Jon Anon (waterman) prophesied correctly when he said "Elijah the prophet will return July 4 2012 Tennessee (Warning will follow)" on GLP. It happened. That is, if you are willing to receive it. The Lord will point to him with some quite obvious hints. Again, if you are willing to receive it.

HINT: Type in Whirlwind Road 37743 in the Google search engine and see where it takes you. Tennessee!

Why Whirlwind you ask? He shall return the way he left. Whirlwind!

2 Kings 2:11 (NKJV) - "Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."

That is enough for now. More hints later.
Save it. Jesus explained it clearly. John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah.

It's real clear "if you are willing to receive it"...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,053.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ebed, I can see how you have fun with those who post ideas and notions that are fanciful and border on science fiction.
But those fringe theories do not negate the truth of what has happened and is yet to happen. Beware of 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'!
You know very well that Jesus was talking to the Jews; circa 30 CE. That they did not receive John's message or Jesus Himself is factual.
Therefore it follows that there will be another complete and final fulfilment of the prophesies about Elijah.

Your comments about other peoples posts continue to be derogatory and unpleasant. That sort of attitude throws a bad light onto your character and leaves one wondering just why you are here, pushing the 'its all done and dusted bandwagon'; ignore the OT, nothing bad will happen, saying 'peace and safety'.

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm quite sure EbedM does not say 'peace and safety' as he believes the Rev to be for all believers in persecution conditions as well as being about what the early church went through.

I think the key expression you are missing about Elijah is "if you can accept it." If you research that, there is nothing postponed in other circumstances; it is a shift of what was meant compared to what Judaism thought would happen. You will find this a lot in John's gospel.

It is also similar to John's "the time is coming and now is" of ch 4. That is the kind of statement that means the expected thing has come but it is not everywhere known yet.

You are right that put downs are only remembered as put downs; the content is lost to the recipient. So, without making a put down out of it, I cannot comprehend why:
people leap X000 years to the future the moment they see the questions of Mt24's intro,
or Dan 9 between the 69th and 70th,
or why a writer like BW spends 90% of his time on the OT passages that the NT does NOT interpret, and then is in so much denial about the ordinary meaning of the ones that do quote the OT several times, or which do give us a summary about the cumulative meaning of the Bible from the apostle's standpoint. I don't know anywhere where he has put the apostles authority above his own understanding of the OT.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,053.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
IP, I disagree with your post above, The Jews of that time didn't accept John as Elijah and 'the time is coming', when 'all things will be fulfilled'.
In hindsight, after nearly 2000 years, we can see that as logical and the intent of what was written.
Jesus prophesied: Luke 13:32...today and tomorrow, I shall be working and on the third day, I shall achieve My goal.
The next verse proves that is a prophecy as He states: in 3 days I will meet My death.

So it is not a 'leap into the future' for us, we are nearly there! 'Today', started at the commencement of Jesus' ministry, then: 'tomorrow' - 1 day = 1000 years, total 2000 years, 'THEN I reach My goal'The 1000 year Millennial reign. Simple, really.

We who study all the Bible do not consider it necessary that the NT must interpret the OT. Why should it? We do have the authority of the Apostles: Acts 26:6, 1 Cor 10:11, 2 Peter 1:19 They do not denigrate or abrogate the OT in any way.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ebed, I can see how you have fun with those who post ideas and notions that are fanciful and border on science fiction.
But those fringe theories do not negate the truth of what has happened and is yet to happen. Beware of 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'!
You know very well that Jesus was talking to the Jews; circa 30 CE. That they did not receive John's message or Jesus Himself is factual.
Therefore it follows that there will be another complete and final fulfilment of the prophesies about Elijah.

Your comments about other peoples posts continue to be derogatory and unpleasant. That sort of attitude throws a bad light onto your character and leaves one wondering just why you are here, pushing the 'its all done and dusted bandwagon'; ignore the OT, nothing bad will happen, saying 'peace and safety'.

I have a question concerning your statement "...ideas and notions that are fanciful and border on science fiction...". It is a serious and respectful question. It is not my intention to belittle or discount you or anyone else. When I post something, I go to great efforts to reference the Word because if I don't than what I say means nothing. It is the Word that guides us towards the Truth.

QUESTION: When you, or anyone else, read the Bible concerning past events such as the parting of the Red Sea, fire falling from heaven before Elijah, angels appearing to mankind, Lazarus being brought back to life, Jesus walking on the water, or future events spoken of in Revelation, what word would you apply to those events: natural or supernatural?

Close your eyes and imagine standing there with Moses when the Sea parted or sitting in the boat with the disciples when they saw our Lord walk on water. That would baffle any carnal-minded scientist.

Natural or supernatural?

On face value it appears to be a simple question but requires a deep introspection.

You were not there to perceive those aforementioned events with your natural eyes, yet you believe if you indeed believe the Word.

I acknowledge we do live in a world where we seek to apply a natural and scientific answer to everything around us, but what divides us who believe from those who don't believe is faith in things that are unseen and go beyond the limits of our human minds. Nothing is impossible with God.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NKJV) - "8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."

Natural or supernatural?

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not according to scripture. John the Baptist fulfilled the sending of Elijah. Jesus said that...so...did Jesus "throw the baby out with the bath water"..or just tell it like it is? You be the judge. Also note that there is NO mention of Elijah after John the Baptist fulfills his mission. Jesus closed the book on that.
No. YOU READ "derogatory and unpleasant" into what I say. I say it like it is Keras. I don't use "smilies"...so what actually happens is YOU read my words the way you want.

Upvote 0

Jon Anon

Oct 31, 2012
✟15,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not according to scripture. John the Baptist fulfilled the sending of Elijah. Jesus said that...so...did Jesus "throw the baby out with the bath water"..or just tell it like it is? You be the judge. Also note that there is NO mention of Elijah after John the Baptist fulfills his mission. Jesus closed the book on that.

No. YOU READ "derogatory and unpleasant" into what I say. I say it like it is Keras. I don't use "smilies"...so what actually happens is YOU read my words the way you want.

ouch somebody got their feelings hurt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
ouch somebody got their feelings hurt.
Well it has to be you...because I'm not looking for Elijah...and I wasn't the one so embarrassed when Elijah didn't come, that I disappeared from the forum...that was YOU.

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here I am friend....it is friend isn't it?
I'm not sure on that point...however if Christ is your savior, you're certainly my brother in Christ.

It take a little more personal interaction to claim friendship.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,053.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have a question concerning your statement "...ideas and notions that are fanciful and border on science fiction...". It is a serious and respectful question. It is not my intention to belittle or discount you or anyone else. When I post something, I go to great efforts to reference the Word because if I don't than what I say means nothing. It is the Word that guides us towards the Truth.

QUESTION: When you, or anyone else, read the Bible concerning past events such as the parting of the Red Sea, fire falling from heaven before Elijah, angels appearing to mankind, Lazarus being brought back to life, Jesus walking on the water, or future events spoken of in Revelation, what word would you apply to those events: natural or supernatural?

Close your eyes and imagine standing there with Moses when the Sea parted or sitting in the boat with the disciples when they saw our Lord walk on water. That would baffle any carnal-minded scientist.

Natural or supernatural?

On face value it appears to be a simple question but requires a deep introspection.

You were not there to perceive those aforementioned events with your natural eyes, yet you believe if you indeed believe the Word.

I acknowledge we do live in a world where we seek to apply a natural and scientific answer to everything around us, but what divides us who believe from those who don't believe is faith in things that are unseen and go beyond the limits of our human minds. Nothing is impossible with God.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NKJV) - "8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."

Natural or supernatural?

John D. - Although God can do anything He wants to, as a general rule, He stays within His set laws.
You should read again Exodus 14:21-31. It states quite clearly the God sent a strong East wind and turned the sea bed into dry land. Not supernatural.
As a matter of interest, I have been to Nufyiba, [sp?] the Egyptian town on the edge of the Red Sea, where a stone marker was that Solomon placed there and on the Midian side. The sea is quite shallow there.
Jesus walking on water is another matter. But what we expect soon: is the terrible judgement/punishment by fire, prophesied over 100 times, will be a natural event. This is so those who survive will continue to have a choice and will follow the Anti-Christ, but 'many will remain faithful to their God'.

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the final fire of the day of judgement was a "natural" event, could it then happen by accident apart from God's timing, like the CME that shot out far enough into planetary space to have hit the earth, but for the fact that the earth was in the opposite direction in its path?

God will decide the timing of it and that is supernatural. Lewis used to say that there were both natural and supernatural miracles. Natural ones are the amazing but time-taking ones like the height and weight 200 feet in the air of a huge tree. Or that watered grape plants do produce grapes. Supernatural is to walk on a liquid that cannot support human weight and not sink; to have wine in cups that were just filled with water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,053.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Day of the Lord's vengeance and wrath, a Coronal Mass Ejection, Isaiah 30:26, will be instigated by the Lord. We do experience CME's from time to time, they affect radio and cause auroras. The Carrington Event caused disruption in the 1856 telegraph system.
The CME prophesied will be one of unprecedented magnitude, it will change the world.
The timing is told to us in Deut 32:34-35 ...at the moment My enemies foot slips....
Foot slips: makes a mistake. That mistake will be the commencement of a attack in Israel. I see the 'moment' as the very minute the crazy Mullahs of Iran press the button to launch a nuke missile at Israel.

Upvote 0

Jon Anon

Oct 31, 2012
✟15,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
John D. - Although God can do anything He wants to, as a general rule, He stays within His set laws.
You should read again Exodus 14:21-31. It states quite clearly the God sent a strong East wind and turned the sea bed into dry land. Not supernatural.
As a matter of interest, I have been to Nufyiba, [sp?] the Egyptian town on the edge of the Red Sea, where a stone marker was that Solomon placed there and on the Midian side. The sea is quite shallow there.
Jesus walking on water is another matter. But what we expect soon: is the terrible judgement/punishment by fire, prophesied over 100 times, will be a natural event. This is so those who survive will continue to have a choice and will follow the Anti-Christ, but 'many will remain faithful to their God'.

Then the supernatural would have been the egyptians drowning in shallow water as exodus tells us the water covered them and their chariots

solomons pillar:

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, God can use things of nature and the material world to bring about what He wishes, but there are things that He can do that we can't explain with our human intellect.

Here is another example.

The Apostle Paul, who was Saul, is attributed with writing a large portion of the New Testament. Millions, if not billions, of believers read the writings of a man who said it was the Lord Jesus appearing to him on the road to Damascus though no one else saw Him. Not the men with him, not the disciples, not me, not you. Yet we believe. Though I was not there, I believe the Lord Jesus appeared to him in a supernatural meeting.

Acts 9:1-8 (NKJV): 3 As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. 4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?” 5 And he said, “Who are You, Lord?” Then the Lord said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads.” 6 So he, trembling and astonished, said, “Lord, what do You want me to do?” Then the Lord said to him, “Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.” 7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one. 8 Then Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened he saw no one. But they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus."

Let me say, these supernatural occurrences have not ceased. The Lord does what He wants, to whom He wants, whenever He wants. He does not change! Just because it may have not been witnessed by you or me, that does not mean that it did not happen. Nothing is impossible with our God!

What the two witnesses do according to Revelation is supernatural. This makes me wonder if the two witnesses will be recognized by believers in Christ. Will the two have to say or do something specific for believers to recognize them for who they are/will be? Even Moses and Aaron were not fully accepted by some of the children of Israel.

One other thing. You ever noticed that the Lord likes to use the word "arise" a lot when He wants someone to do something? Just an observation.

Upvote 0