When The Lord Jesus Christ says to pray for those who persecute you, what exactly / specifically should we pray for them ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When The Lord Jesus Christ says to pray for those who persecute you, what exactly / specifically should we pray for them ?

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."

• Matthew 5:43-45

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."

• Matthew 5:43-45
Pray for their salvation. Pray that God will wake them up before it is too late.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, here's another question :

What exactly / specifically should we pray for enemies who persecute us that have already blasphemed The Holy Spirit and will Never be forgiven ? (Matthew 12:31-32, Luke 12:10, Mark 3:28-29)

What is the point of praying for an enemy that is persecuting us who has already done that and can't / won't be forgiven ever ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stephen was the first to give up his life as a persecuted follower of Jesus.
Stephen is a good example of a persecuted Christian praying for his persecutors.

And they stoned Stephen as he called upon the Lord and said, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!
And kneeling down, he cried out with a loud voice, Lord, do not hold this sin against them.
And when he had said this, he fell asleep. (Acts 7:59,60)

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What exactly / specifically should we pray for enemies who persecute us that have already blasphemed The Holy Spirit and will Never be forgiven ? (Matthew 12:31-32, Luke 12:10, Mark 3:28-29)

What is the point of praying for an enemy that is persecuting us who has already done that and can't / won't be forgiven ever ?
Unbelief until death is the onl unforgivable sin. Ever those wo persecute have a chance to be saved. A good example is the Apostle Paul. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I pray when I am in the car. I ask for 100 feet in front and back, 50 feet on the sides. For God's angels to watch over us and protect us and keep us out of harms way. That gets rid of the crazy people out there that we need protection from. Also it seems to work for traffic. The cars seem to keep moving just fine.

When I was in the Army I was in training to pick up arms and legs to put them in body bags. Years later we took in a foreign exchange student from China. It turns out that his father drove the truck to deliver the weapons of mass destruction to North Vietnam. So he was expecting American to clean up his mess in Vietnam but now he wanted us to take care of his son for him. We did just that. We treated him like a son, my wife worked with him every day on his English and he was able to get into a University and he got his degree in electric engineering.

Now I am sure he was laughing at us. Still we hope that He comes to Christ and a saving knowledge of the truth. People who come to America for their education are highly respected because they do not have education like that in their country. So we pray for our enemy that they come to a saving knowledge of the truth. If we even have an enemy, because I do not perceive of anyone being an enemy.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Unbelief until death is the onl unforgivable sin.
Sometimes I wonder if the only real sin is to refuse to allow God to do a work in us to cleanse and sanctify us from all ungodliness and transgression. Nothing can be more clear than that we can NOT do it on our own, apart from God.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Well, you have no way of knowing whether or not they have blasphemed the Holy Spirit, so you pray for them anyway. it is up to God to judge who has blasphemed the Holy Spirit and not us. Indeed it is up to God to judge, and not us.

We are instructed not only to pray for those who persecute us, but to bless them (see the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans 12:14).

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes I wonder if the only real sin is to refuse to allow God to do a work in us to cleanse and sanctify us from all ungodliness and transgression. Nothing can be more clear than that we can NOT do it on our own, apart from God.

My understanding is that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to consistently and throughout one’s entire life refuse the grace of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to consistently and throughout one’s entire life refuse the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Yes, it is the grace of God that does a work in us to transform us.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This is my understanding too.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe that's apart of it yes, but I'm talking specifically about evil Theistic satanist people who knowingly and willingly with full knowledge blaspheme The Holy Spirit as apart of their evil occult rituals. Then they torment and harass us Christians as apart of their service to Satan and demons / fallen angels.

There is No Hope for someone like that in my opinion.

They literally have a worthless existence and their only expectation for the afterlife is fiery torment in The Lake of Fire Forever and Ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0