When is personal criticism not an Ad Hominem Fallacy during debate?

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My OP doesn't have a thesis. It was an OP presented for a somewhat open, exploratory discussion, yet one that because of the nature of the argument of the chosen article in the OP will, by itself, readily present a twist in the usual arguments are resorted to by which the Ad Hominem Fallacy is often defined.
That's good but anyone posting an op does so (or should do so) with the understanding that others bring a great deal of diversity upon any given op.

Mine begins with the premise personal criticism is never okay and neither are ad hominems. They are not acceptable scripturally, nor are they acceptable rationally.... unless the individual being criticized is the topic of discussion and has consented to be that topic. Otherwise it is best to keep the posts about the posts and not the posters.

And for us Christians there is a huge ginormous pile of scripture helping us if we would only practice it.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is "incorrect"? Alright, you apparently would like for me to listen and consider your point of view. Alright. Let's listen to your point of view. In the midst of doing so, may I assume that as we engage further in discussion that you will likewise consider my point of view, and that you'll consider me as a peer to yourself?
I have no problem reading what is posted. What you've just done is avoid doing what you said you'd do. You went from "Alright...." I'll listen to you, Josh, but....... I expect parity.

You've made an incorrect statement.

It is a statement that should be corrected.

It is a statement that should be corrected no matter what I or anyoene else in the forum ever does.

But.... the evidence now shows you not doing so. 2PhiloVoid, if you want your conversations with atheists and apostates to be different then begin with yourself.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might want to consider my 'mental' and educational history in order to better understand me, if indeed you're a MH counselor, brother Josheb.
Why? Do the words in any post not stand or fall by their own merit?

Sure, we can go back to post 23 if that is what you'd like to do.
Hmmmmm.....

Why would the author of an op not want to discuss op-relevant content in his own op? The point of discussing the op-relevant content beginning with post 23 is to get back on topic with this op that has no thesis stated.

Rather than saying, "Sure, we can go back... if that's what you'd like," just do it.

Just do it!

The ball is your court there, 2 PhiloVoid. I'm waiting on a cogent response. Waiting to read something other than the incorrect notion I missed the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think so, mainly because I do not recall any specific interactions of the past. I did not the marking of one of my posts on another op as "friendly."No conflict there.

The problem here is the "if you want to define it that way." Most of us here are quite capable of expressing ourselves articulately. We don't need anyone telling us what we mean or how what we write should be understood, or whether our posts are okay with you. That's a problem to be solved, 2Philo.
Likewise, don't tell me "how" to define either my reading of the Bible nor my applied hermeneutics to the OP article, nor to the mode by which I apply my praxis in the discussion.

How about that.
Yes, how about that? However, it should go without saying by the inferred context of what I wrote in the OP that I'm fully considering the weight of the analysis provided in the article; with my inferred thesis extending OUT FROM the OP being that I think......there are relevant situations when person criticism is fully applicable. And I've already provided a taste of this in my discussions here with other posters. So, keep that in mind.

So.... I purportedly missed the point in an op that doesn't have a thesis. AND I and everyone here was explicitly told to feel free "to discuss this and the ways in which it may apply to rhetorical interactions which take place in Christian Apologetics."
... if you want to 'take it' that way and interpret my structure of discussion in that way, I won't stop you. You are free to express what you want, just as I am free to disagree with you. However, again, one of the rules of this forum IS that Christians don't disagree on things in this forum. So, that kind of places a muffle on you as far as I'm concerned.

Apparently we weren't free.
In which sense of the term are you meaning this, because, you see, the rule existed for this forum BEFORE I ever posted.

Everything I have posted is op-relevant, posted with the freedom given explicitly in the op. And I still don't have a cogent response to my op-reply. In the future I would encourage the inclusion of a thesis statement, or at least some expression of the specific concern to be discussed or the inquiry to be answered and addressed.
Maybe what you've stated is op-relevant and maybe it isn't, but again, this isn't the place for you to 'debate' this point. If you want to do that, we'd have to take it up somewhere else, on a more fitting forum in CF. Do you understand what I'm attempting to communicate here?

AS for my "thesis" in this case, it is inferred and it is intended to allow for multiplicity, depending on which side of the discussion one wants to land. This is an exploratory OP. And why? Because THAT, for me, is the point of it---To allow everyone to argue for some position on the issues presented in the OP article, with the caveat that it ISN'T an opportunity for one Christian to land upon another. I've left the floor 'open,' as I often do, with but a modicum of reference in the OP as to my overall motive for presenting the OP in the first place: my motive being to bring the skeptics into awareness of their over reliance and possible false subscribing to the Ad Hominem Fallacy, which often gets trotted out by them as an excuse to avoid having to deal with Axiological issues that are, despite their contesting, embedded within the logical discourse of interpersonal criticism when arguing about the supposed logic of this or that conceptual entity, usually entities that are promoted as downing the truth of Christianity. Surely, you can understand this, even if you don't agree with it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no problem reading what is posted. What you've just done is avoid doing what you said you'd do. You went from "Alright...." I'll listen to you, Josh, but....... I expect parity.

It is a statement that should be corrected no matter what I or anyoene else in the forum ever does.

But.... the evidence now shows you not doing so. 2PhiloVoid, if you want your conversations with atheists and apostates to be different then begin with yourself.

Ah, the rub. I see. We're not going to see eye to eye on this, Josheb. Let's just agree to disagree, because we obviously have different points of view on this subject. In fact, I think we'll probably find that we disagree on a number of conceptual elements about the structure of human thought, human life, theology, and various other appendages of the field of Philosophy, as well as Hermeneutics. So, if we are diverse on as many points as I surmise we are, we're probably simply coming at each other from incompatible philosophical tangents. But, maybe not. Who knows?

Again, I've asked you if you can start by addressing me as a peer rather than condescending and implying that I am somehow your junior in the realm of "thought."

Thank you for your brotherly consideration on these points.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see how these are incompatible ...

No, I really haven't. I operate in a more Post-modernistic, Existentialist mode of thought, and it seems you don't. And that's ok, but it means we're not going to see eye to eye.

There's no correction needed. I, for one, am more than willing to continue to hear you out. I just don't believe that my doing so also implies I must agree with you, especially if I think this issue is Complex and you (perhaps) think it is Simple.

Yeah...............that's not going to happen, bro!

I don't think you have "the evidence" that you think you do, so maybe stop with this line of thought and be a little more open to a more mutually edifying exchange of ideas before commencing further.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why? Do the words in any post not stand or fall by their own merit?
No, they don't stand or fall on some merit simply because they sit on an electronic page; there's always a messenger behind the message, and I'm not going to assume that I can reach into your skull and figure you out. No, that kind of analysis with take some lengthy exchange between, especially if we both claim Christianity as our Faith ...

Hmmmmm.....

Why would the author of an op not want to discuss op-relevant content in his own op? The point of discussing the op-relevant content beginning with post 23 is to get back on topic with this op that has no thesis stated.
I've been doing so, just not yet with you in any depth.

Rather than saying, "Sure, we can go back... if that's what you'd like," just do it.

Just do it!

The ball is your court there, 2 PhiloVoid. Waiting on you. Waiting on you to post something other than the incorrect notion I missed the point.
If you noticed, I DID go back to post #23 in that I began to address your initial comments extending from our initial assertion of, "It is never not fallacious," and I did this up in post #59.

Now, I'm just waiting on you to begin speaking to me as a peer. When you do, we can have a discussion. And see, I've been addressing you in this the whole time without inferring anything egregiously silly like, "....well, you're not a 'real' Christian" or some other, similar ridiculousness. No, I think you're a fellow Christian, and I know you're highly intelligence, educated and articulate; but I want to you recognize that I'm neither your superior nor your junior (i.e. 'inferior'). Does this make sense? Is this unfair for me to ask?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Likewise, don't tell me "how" to define either my reading of the Bible....
Never happened.
I've asked you if you can start by addressing me as a peer...
Everything I have posted was addressed to you as a peer.
I, for one, am more than willing to continue to hear you out.
The evidence proves otherwise. If there was an interest in hearing me out we'd be discussing the nature of how "the Ad Hominem 'complaint' is dragged out quite often and applied to Christians who make character judgements about their interlocutors during debate," and we are definitely not doing that despite my repeated efforts to make that happen.
No, they don't stand or fall on some merit simply because they sit on an electronic page; there's always a messenger behind the message...
Words have meaning. They do not just sit on an electronic page. They sit on an electronic page with meaning. That is how people are able to and do communicate.

When scripture says don't let any unwholesome words come out of our moths that's what it means. There's no philosophical or hermeneutical gymnastics required. The same is true when scripture directs us to treat outsiders with grace. And if you thought there was some interpretative significance to any of the scriptures post then we could be discussing that but we're not.

Or more accurate;y, you are not doing so.
If you noticed, I DID go back to post #23 in that I began to address your initial comments extending from our initial assertion of, "It is never not fallacious," and I did this up in post #59.
I read post 59 when it was posted. First I was asked to help you understand what you reported you didn't understand. Which begs the question,: how can you now claim to have address the comments if they weren't understood? The fact is I did explain it in that post and you even quoted 23 in 59. Post 59 appeals to "intuition," but that is a red herring because intuition is not relevant.... especially after the matter was explained.

Then there's the matter of "I'm sorry, but this is one of the silliest analogies I think I've ever heard." That's dismissive. It does not demonstrated an open hand of fellowship. It doesn't demonstrate peer-orientation. It doesn't demonstrate a willingness to discuss. The remains I could Adolf Hitler o Barak Obama, or the apostle John or your younger brother and still write post#23.

I wrote it as your peer with full expectation the faculties to understand and discuss it were already possessed. I wrote post 23 with Php. 2:3 in mind, considering you more significant than myself. I wrote all these posts with Romans 12:10 in mind. I wrote these posts with all the scriptures I know in mind, including all those I have posted here under this op. It isn't that they can't or couldn't be seen that way.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now, I'm just waiting on you to begin speaking to me as a peer.
Okay. Here it is:

Off-topical personal criticism of a poster's character is never not ad hominem and ad hominem is always fallacious.

The reason personal criticism is never not ad hominem is because we don't generally discuss posters in internet forum discussion board. We discuss topics, or subjects, or claims, assertions, points of view, or positions. Here in this op we're discussing the nature of personal criticism relevant to the fallacy of ad hominem and that topic or subject can be discussed without having to mention any poster and if a poster is mentioned that mention need not involve personal criticism.

Personal criticism causes digression. See how far afield from the op you are? That is why Personal criticism of strangers' character should be resisted. It doesn't get the genuine poster where he wants to get (unless this the delight is in the digression), unless s/he's a troll and the intent is provocation alone.

Here is peer-oriented content: As a brother in Christ I think you should look at the reality whatever it is the other posters do.... you are vulnerable to it. The frustration is sufficient enough to prompt this op. Not only is the frustration sufficient enough to prompt this op but the investment is so significant there's no room for the truth of.....

Just don't post personal criticisms!

But I want to, Josh!

Yeah, okay. Einstein's definition of insanity. Character criticisms are not necessary. Neither do they work.

Stick to the logic of the atheists and apostate's arguments. Scripture is of limited value because they don't value God's word. We believe God's truth has power so use His word but not as a cudgel. Scripture says kind words soften hearts. Personal criticism does the opposite. Lastly, learn the value of critiquing the logic and not criticizing the poster.

You are a hypocrite.
You made a pair of contradictory statements.
Those statements contradict one another.

Donald Trump is a liar.
Donald Trump lied when he said smuggled women have their mouths taped shut.
Donald Trump was incorrect when he said smuggled women have their mouths taped shut.
It is false to claim smuggled women have their mouths taped shut.
(a lie requires an intent to deceive so a falsehood is not the same thing as a lie)

Words have meaning. The don't just sit there meaninglessly on a page and the difference between a post and a poster is important. Likewise, the difference between a mistake, a falsehood, and a lie is important. It's real simple: If they aren't given a reason to call you on the personal criticisms then their frustrating accusations of ad hominem won't exist. That's not rocket science. Criticizing a stranger's character begets defensiveness, or worse, adversarialness. That's not brain surgery. If the discussion is about abortion, the existence of God, left/right politics, theonomy, evolution, etc. it is not necessary to mention another's character, especially in critically derisive terms. That's not rocket surgery ;).

So peer to peer, arms open in fellowship, with big hugs and kisses....

Off-topical personal criticism of a poster's character is never not ad hominem and ad hominem is always fallacious.

If and when there's a readiness to discuss that single sentence then I am available.. I am going to use scripture and reason to support my position and you are invited to affirm that which bears integrity with rightly-rendered scripture and/or reason just as you are invited to dispute anything I post that does not. Dismissive statements, personal comments, and digressions will be ignored.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For some reason or other, it seems the Ad Hominem "complaint" is dragged out quite often and applied to Christians who make character judgements about their interlocutors during debate.

I've seen it....and even pointed out ad hominem attacks myself.

Because the identification of an ad hominem seems to have become a hobby for various atheists,

I think atheists tend to see them a lot. I know I do. I think it's probably a good topic for another thread..."Why do so many Christians resort to ad hominem attacks in debate/discussion with atheists?"

I know I have my own guesses as to why.

I thought it'd be good to inject a little deeper thought into differentiating and discerning those moments when it is proper to criticize another person's character from those moments where it may not be.

So, here's a little article by Yvonne Raley that briefly elucidates a few additional considerations about when it's proper to complain about ad hominem statements ... and when it's not.

Feel free to discuss this and the ways in which it may apply to rhetorical interactions which take place in Christian Apologetics. :cool:

The article looks like it's going to be more confusing than helpful to most people. Take the New York governor example....

If you and I are discussing his ability to govern....then the only question is "Is character a valid factor in governance?" If we agree that it is, then we can certainly make judgements about the character of the governor....because it's literally a part of the topic of discussion.

If however, I make a point about his ability to govern...and you claim that my point isn't valid because of some bias I hold or morals I've expressed...well then you've committed a fallacy. I can be biased, or hold some hypothetical moral opinions, and they can have literally influenced the point I just made about the governor....but they won't invalidate the point. Claiming they do would be an ad hominem fallacy. Unless the topic is directly related to me in some way....attacking me will always be invalid.

Now, it's possible that during the course of discussion about the governor I could invite an examination of myself into the discussion. For example, if I were to ask you "Do you think there's something about my views that keep me from understanding your point?"....any answer to that question could certainly include examination of my motives and biases, and would be completely valid. That's because the question itself changes the topic from the governor to me.

In general, I've viewed ad hominem attacks as a signal that I've "won" the debate or discussion. The person I was debating with can no longer address or refute the points I've made....so in an act of desperation or frustration, then attempt to invalidate me instead. I used to see a specific type of ad hominem (a kind of special pleading ad hominem) so often that I decided to call it the "esoteric knowledge fallacy" to distinguish it from other ad hominem attacks...especially since it was unique to religious people. It went something like this...

Christian- I do have evidence that my claim is true in the form of some special knowledge acquired by belief.

Me- Oh? What is this special knowledge?

Christian- I can't tell you because you don't believe. You wouldn't understand if you don't believe.

Me- Try me. I can understand a lot of things I don't necessarily believe in.

Christian- Nope, there's no point. You'd have to believe first to understand the evidence. I wouldn't be able to explain it to you.

Me- Are you saying that you have knowledge that you can't even explain? How is that even possible?

Christian- It's possible, but you'd have to believe to understand.

And so on....round and round....with the general argument being that his belief gives him access to some mystical category of evidentiary knowledge that my lack of belief has left me incapable of understanding. Obviously fallacious....but rather unique to discussions between atheists and believers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

... begin with myself? What would that look like being that I've already extended empathy and sympathy to various atheists, skeptics and apostates through the years over their social, psychological and epistemological difficulties (difficulties which we ALL have, really)?
That's good but anyone posting an op does so (or should do so) with the understanding that others bring a great deal of diversity upon any given op.

Mine begins with the premise personal criticism is never okay and neither are ad hominems. They are not acceptable scripturally, nor are they acceptable rationally.... unless the individual being criticized is the topic of discussion and has consented to be that topic. Otherwise it is best to keep the posts about the posts and not the posters.

And for us Christians there is a huge ginormous pile of scripture helping us if we would only practice it.

Well then, IF 'personal criticism' is NEVER, EVER, EVER okay, then by all means, don't criticize others, Josheb! And after you do that (or more properly, 'stop' doing that), also promptly rip various pages out of the Bible through which stream various expressions of...................."criticism" about other people! Start maybe with the letter to the Galatians ... ;) ... then maybe move on to the book of Acts as a follow up act.

We can then move onto Pascal's Pensees and rip pages out of his work since, well, he makes some doozy accusations ... as a Christian, even, one I've even come to call Pascal's A.A.S.S. (or Argument Against Sarcastic Skepticism).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... begin with myself? What would that look like being that I've already extended empathy and sympathy to various atheists, skeptics and apostates through the years over their social, psychological and epistemological difficulties (difficulties which we ALL have, really)?
Well, let's take this op as an example. childeye 2 said the same basic content I posted and that post was received with gratitude. So did public hermit. I'm not sure what jok's post is about but he appears to posting an object lesson: by insinuation the impugning of your character the inquiry of the op has been avoided or ignored. If that's what was intended then he joins the others in saying basically what I posted: post, not poster. Subduction Zone also stated ad hominems are never justified. Posts, not poster.

Keep the posts about the posts, not the posters.

That's what that looks like. Look at my last post and count the number of times I used the word "you."
Well then, IF 'personal criticism' is NEVER, EVER, EVER okay, then by all means, don't criticize others, Josheb!
rotflmbo! 2PhiloVoid, you've just committed a tu quoque fallacy. "You do it too!" is never a rational response to one's own wrongdoing. That goes all the way back to Eden when Adam threw his wife under the bus rather than accept responsibility for his own conduct. Eve, in turn, did the same pointing to the serpent.

If you read what I actually posted you won't find your personal character maligned. What you will find is actual statements posted critiqued. Posts, not poster. But it felt personal, didn't it. That's why we don't post such content. Posts, not posters.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, let's take this op as an example. childeye 2 said the same basic content I posted and that post was received with gratitude. So did public hermit. I'm not sure what jok's post is about but he appears to posting an object lesson: by insinuation the impugning of your character the inquiry of the op has been avoided or ignored. If that's what was intended then he joins the others in saying basically what I posted: post, not poster. Subduction Zone also stated ad hominems are never justified. Posts, not poster.

Keep the posts about the posts, not the posters.

That's what that looks like. Look at my last post and count the number of times I used the word "you."
Ok. So, one conclusion here is that you're all in some level of agreement about cleaving the message apart from the messenger IN ALL CASES, is this what I'm to understand from you're own assertions here?

rotflmbo! 2PhiloVoid, you've just committed a tu quoque fallacy. "You do it too!" is never a rational response to one's own wrongdoing. That goes all the way back to Eden when Adam threw his wife under the bus rather than accept responsibility for his own conduct. Eve, in turn, did the same pointing to the serpent.
:ahah: ... uh, no! It's not a tu quoque fallacy! But I'll leave it to you to rationally figure out why? (I'll give you a hint: ...per my various posts here in this thread, my position is on the other side of yours, or at least it's at a tangential angle to it, I'm not in agreement with you, and I think that, at times, and if it's relevant to some person's 'case' (as in the case of someone like Richard Carrier), personal criticism is justified. I think this just as surely as I think that personal criticism can be lodged on my account if and when I'm morally (or cognitively) at fault and I end up articulating what seem to be supposed truths with and through some exaggeration I've made or through some underlying motivation that remains within my brain and 'colors' my overall aims in communication (e.g. an agenda to persuade for some massive social change, or other similar silly stuff that rarely works).

Now, if I had agreed with you about the nature of Personal Criticism and as to when it is applicable, then I'd say that I have a tu quoque. But, if it is YOU who advanced a certain moral point of view, one that I don't advocate, and then it is YOU who, perhaps, transgresses your own moral assertions..... then it is what it is, in which case, as the commercials used to say, "Have a Tu Quoque and a Smile ...!" ;)

you read what I actually posted you won't find your personal character maligned. What you will find is actual statements posted critiqued. Posts, not poster. But it felt personal, didn't it. That's why we don't post such content. Posts, not posters.
Just as I haven't maligned yours, even if I am critical of your conclusions. But don't take it personally, I know you're trying to 'do' the moral thing and call me down from what you see is a moment of me having my head stuck in my behind (unless saying it this way is, in your estimation, too unwholesome), then you can just say I need to pull my head out of my .... :cool:

But when I'm in the 'end,' I'll just defer to Pascal and Kierkegaard, and to Paul the Apostle, and on up the Chain of Command.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok. So, one conclusion here is that you're all in some level of agreement about cleaving the message apart from the messenger IN ALL CASES, is this what I'm to understand from you're own assertions here?
Yes, but there's more. Not only are we in agreement but you are not. Earlier I read an appeal to the counsel of many but that counsel of many is being resisted. That should be noted and an effort made to understand how and why, especially since the practice of personal criticism does not bear fruit.
:ahah: ... uh, no! It's not a tu quoque fallacy!
Yeah, it is.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but there's more. Not only are we in agreement but you are not. Earlier I read an appeal to the counsel of many but that counsel of many is being resisted. That should be noted and an effort made to understand how and why, especially since the practice of personal criticism does not bear fruit.

Yeah, it is.

Basically, I handle and disambiguate the 'supposed' semantics of a tu quoque in the same way that I do the over appeal and over applied claims to Ad Hominem Fallacies; I see them as the occasional smoke screen that they can be on various social, not to mention spiritual and other philosophical, levels.

Kind of like how the term Psychology can carry with it these days a 'whim' of authority, BUT ...... the term itself denotes no such authority. Same with some of these made up fallacies used to buttress against inherent accountabilities that often, in our Western world, get muddied and displaced by what are claimed to be 'finer distinctions of logic,' which are anything but that. :cool:

And if I find myself 'outnumbered' in this, then such instances and situations as my own will remind me that, historically, I'm in good company, even if that company is in the past and not now present. But regardless whether my supporters are few and far between or so numerous that I can't shake a stick at them, I'm of my own mind about this ... and of my own mind I'll be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Basically, I handle and disambiguate the 'supposed' semantics of a tu quoque in the same way that I do the over appeal and over applied claims to Ad Hominem Fallacies; I see them as the occasional smoke screen that they can be on various social, not to mention spiritual and other philosophical, levels.
Yep. Everyone who read the last three posts gets that. Except you. What is "seen" is seen blindly. This entire op is about the difficulties you have with atheists and based on the evidence contained in the posts it is increasingly clearer that this is an intrapersonal matter, not just an interpersonal matter. In both cases, both ad hominem and tu quoque, discussions are best if the other poster is simply not mentioned at all.

But that won't be had. For some reason there is a want, a desire, a need, and ??? to make mention of others.

I have endeavored to show both in word and method how and why this is fruitless so I'm not going to belabor the matter any more. The exchange has gotten far afield of the op again: the argument is now over tu quoques instead of whether character criticisms are ad hominems and the next post I will read will likely be an attempt to justify that digression.

It's not very brotherly.

Nearly everyone here (at least from the posts I've read) has said the same basic thing: criticism of others' character is something to be avoided. It's off-topic, it doesn't effect the desired goals, and you don't like it when it's done to you (real or perceived). The inquiry of this op was answered and addressed by several, and it was addressed largely along similar lines with some diversity so there are a number of ways to receive the information if and when desired. I feel no impulse to belabor what has already been said and I am not inclined to repeat myself unnecessarily. I encourage and exhort the many op-replies be considered, definitely contemplate the scriptures provided, and maybe hone your skills with the logical fallacies so as to 1) not commit them, 2) recognize them accurately when they appear and most importantly, 3) not to get baited into emotional responses or digressions.

Because, in case it hasn't yet been realized, most atheists found in discussion boards are more accurately anti-theists and they don't possess an authentic interest in learning about our faith or being persuaded to surrender their lives to the God they don't believe exists any successful persuasion is in God's hands. They are trolls. Sadly, many Christians entering those boards are also interested in little more than emotional provocation and the little victories imagined by such conduct. So ad hominems, false dichotomies and equivalencies and causes, tu quoues, strawmen, and shifting onuses are common practice.

Learn to set limits. Here's what Paul told Titus,

Titus 3:9-11 ESV
"But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned."

Three strikes rule!

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And if I find myself 'outnumbered' in this, then such instances and situations as my own will remind me that, historically, I'm in good company, even if that company is in the past and not now present. But regardless whether my supporters are few and far between or so numerous that I can't shake a stick at them, I'm of my own mind about this ... and of my own mind I'll be.
False dichotomy! What I and others have posted is often couched firmly in God's word. I, for one, backed up both my overall position and much of the specifics with scripture, and not single, individual verses ripped from their inherent context. I held out the highest standard. It isn't simply that many posters agreed; it is that many Christian posters agreed. I suspect were this same bunch of contributors discussing baptism, volition's place in salvation, or eschatology we'd have much less consensus. When I said look at the posts I was not asserting an argumentum ad populum; I was showing how well-reasoned this position is with so many presenting the same case in diverse ways. So believe and do what you want, but don't (incorrectly) imagine this is about numbers. Scripture does not direct character criticism; it directs grace and love. I showed this to be the case. It is worth noting all those scriptures were ignored.

1 Corinthians 2:11-16 ESV
11"For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 13And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. 14The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16'For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?' But we have the mind of Christ."

Or we don't. Go ahead and have your own mind but do so remembering the practice of character criticism prompted this op and all of the frustration underneath it, and that frustration is easily avoided.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've seen it....and even pointed out ad hominem attacks myself.

I think atheists tend to see them a lot. I know I do. I think it's probably a good topic for another thread..."Why do so many Christians resort to ad hominem attacks in debate/discussion with atheists?"

I know I have my own guesses as to why.

The article looks like it's going to be more confusing than helpful to most people. Take the New York governor example....

If you and I are discussing his ability to govern....then the only question is "Is character a valid factor in governance?" If we agree that it is, then we can certainly make judgements about the character of the governor....because it's literally a part of the topic of discussion.

If however, I make a point about his ability to govern...and you claim that my point isn't valid because of some bias I hold or morals I've expressed...well then you've committed a fallacy. I can be biased, or hold some hypothetical moral opinions, and they can have literally influenced the point I just made about the governor....but they won't invalidate the point. Claiming they do would be an ad hominem fallacy. Unless the topic is directly related to me in some way....attacking me will always be invalid.

Now, it's possible that during the course of discussion about the governor I could invite an examination of myself into the discussion. For example, if I were to ask you "Do you think there's something about my views that keep me from understanding your point?"....any answer to that question could certainly include examination of my motives and biases, and would be completely valid. That's because the question itself changes the topic from the governor to me.

In general, I've viewed ad hominem attacks as a signal that I've "won" the debate or discussion. The person I was debating with can no longer address or refute the points I've made....so in an act of desperation or frustration, then attempt to invalidate me instead. I used to see a specific type of ad hominem (a kind of special pleading ad hominem) so often that I decided to call it the "esoteric knowledge fallacy" to distinguish it from other ad hominem attacks...especially since it was unique to religious people. It went something like this...

Christian- I do have evidence that my claim is true in the form of some special knowledge acquired by belief.

Me- Oh? What is this special knowledge?

Christian- I can't tell you because you don't believe. You wouldn't understand if you don't believe.

Me- Try me. I can understand a lot of things I don't necessarily believe in.

Christian- Nope, there's no point. You'd have to believe first to understand the evidence. I wouldn't be able to explain it to you.

Me- Are you saying that you have knowledge that you can't even explain? How is that even possible?

Christian- It's possible, but you'd have to believe to understand.

And so on....round and round....with the general argument being that his belief gives him access to some mystical category of evidentiary knowledge that my lack of belief has left me incapable of understanding. Obviously fallacious....but rather unique to discussions between atheists and believers.

Ok. I hear you. Those aren't bad points, but have you ever seen a Christian state to his interlocutor that she---who could be either a skeptic or even another Christian, I suppose--- is being either stubborn and resistant, or just plain ignorant, because she is in fact being stubborn, resistant or just playing out an emotional tantrum and pushing her ignorance on down the lane of discussion/debate?

If I were pushing my own ignorance and apathy on down the lane of discussion, just to be purposely uncooperative and refuse to engage additional considerations, theories, data or just entreaties to be 'more' rational, I personally wouldn't define the accusation another person may lay at my doorstep to be an "ad hominem attack." I'm not sure if I've ever done this in the past, but from this point on, I think I'll be aware of it and consider the personal character critique. And why? Because I think personal Critique of my behavior and character, if it is truly off the charts ethically, can be criticized without a necessary fallacy on the part of the person so accusing me, and the fact of my potential 'misbehavior' or even, let's say, my own lack of engaging a better level of Virtuous Epistemological Inquiry doesn't have to be some agreed upon focal point of the topic of a discussion.

I discern a conceptual difference between a relevant, full-bodied, fully contextualized complaint about my behavior and/or character APART FROM an off the wall, probably even stupid example of Ad Hominem Fallacy [like say, because my eyes are 'brown,' then I must be full of crap, or some bawdy statement about me that obviously would qualify as a kind of grasping at straws in the discussion or debate].

This is all I've been implying this entire time in this thread, but it seems that I'm not being very well understood on this point. Granted, the lack of understanding on this intended point of mine could be due to my lack of clarity, and I'll accept this as a valid personal criticism if that is the case; but it could also simply be that some folks here feel a resistance to my claim and genuinely disagree with my claim about there being a difference (a difference that is more or less implied in the OP article).

In sum: I agree, more or less, with the OP article. So, if others don't agree with the article, then they don't agree with the article. However, in saying this, I'm not ALSO implying, and haven't been, that if by chance they don't agree with the OP article that they're then somehow a bunch of schmucks. No, I'm not implying that at all.

I mean skeptics are people, too, and I personally recognize them as fellow human beings deserving of respect and so on and so forth, etc. I'm also generally aware that they can be moral on some level, sometimes very substantially so, BUT like Aldous Huxley, there are a few for whom an accusation of character or moral shortcoming does fit like Cinderella's magic slipper [and not only from a Christian perspective]. In those latter cases, I don't think it's an Ad Hominem Fallacy to say, "The shoe fits!!!!" Heck, it might even fit on my own foot (sometimes), but I wouldn't cry foul if someone thought it did and and said that I was running around being a moral drag because of it. And God forbid [me] if I were to ever be utterly lacking in Virtuous Epistemological and/or Hermeneutical Praxis. Oh, perish the thought!! :rolleyes:

Is any of this making sense to anyone here? Anyone? Anyone? :dontcare:...or am I just speaking out my Existential orifice to a bunch of Hardline Foundationalists?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok. I hear you. Those aren't bad points, but have you ever seen a Christian state to his interlocutor that she---who could be either a skeptic or even another Christian, I suppose--- is being either stubborn and resistant, or just plain ignorant, because she is in fact being stubborn, resistant or just playing out an emotional tantrum and pushing her ignorance on down the lane of discussion/debate?

Sure? Probably?

It's difficult to discuss this particular issue without any context/example to follow. The question is though....does this person's character flaws alter the validity of their point/argument?

If I were pushing my own ignorance and apathy on down the lane of discussion, just to be purposely uncooperative and refuse to engage additional considerations, theories, data or just entreaties to be 'more' rational, I personally wouldn't define the accusation another person may lay at my doorstep to be an "ad hominem attack."

This seems like a lot to assume about someone's mindset and motivation for posting.

I'm not sure if I've ever done this in the past, but from this point on, I think I'll be aware of it and consider the personal character critique. And why? Because I think personal Critique of my behavior and character, if it is truly off the charts ethically, can be criticized without a necessary fallacy on the part of the person so accusing me, and the fact of my potential 'misbehavior' or even, let's say, my own lack of engaging a better level of Virtuous Epistemological Inquiry doesn't have to be some agreed upon focal point of the topic of a discussion.

....Let's say that you and I are having a discussion. It doesn't really matter what the discussion is about or which positions we take (since this is all hypothetical)...but for the sake of making this an easy to follow example let's say that...

The Topic= The effectiveness/quality of homosexual parents.
My position= Homosexual parents can be just as good/effective as hetero parents.
Your position= Homosexual parents are, on average, significantly worse parents than a hetero couple.

Now, let's assume that we're a few pages into the discussion....and my main point = "These studies show that homosexual parents are just as capable as hetero couples in regards to raising healthy, well adjusted children." Of course, let's also assume that I provided a handful of psychological studies and other expert testimonials.

Finally, let's assume that I've displayed a lack of considerations for other viewpoints, stubbornness, and I'm overly emotional regarding the topic. Let's also assume that I don't really care about your personal opinion of me.

So, with this hypothetical scenario in mind...

What purpose would addressin my character serve? Do you think that it affects the validity of point I'm making? If so....how? If not...why address my character at all?

I discern a conceptual difference between a relevant, full-bodied, fully contextualized complaint about my behavior and/or character APART FROM an off the wall, probably even stupid example of Ad Hominem Fallacy [like say, because my eyes are 'brown,' then I must be full of crap, or some bawdy statement about me that obviously would qualify as a kind of grasping at straws in the discussion or debate].

This is all I've been implying this entire time in this thread, but it seems that I'm not being very well understood on this point. Granted, the lack of understanding on this intended point of mine could be due to my lack of clarity, and I'll accept this as a valid personal criticism if that is the case; but it could also simply be that some folks here feel a resistance to my claim and genuinely disagree with my claim about there being a difference (a difference that is more or less implied in the OP article).

In sum: I agree, more or less, with the OP article. So, if others don't agree with the article, then they don't agree with the article. However, in saying this, I'm not ALSO, and haven't been, implying this entire time that if by chance they don't agree with the OP article that they're then all somehow a bunch of schmucks.

I happen to agree with the author too. I just don't think he's saying what you think he's saying.

I mean skeptics are people, too, and I personally recognize them as fellow human beings deserving of respect and so on and so forth, etc. I'm also generally aware that they can be moral on some level, sometimes very substantially so, BUT like Aldous Huxley, there are a few for whom an accusation of character or moral shortcoming [and not only from a Christian perspective] does fit like Cinderella's magic slipper. In those latter cases, I don't think it's an Ad Hominem Fallacy to say, "The shoe fits!!!!" Heck, it might even fit on my foot (sometimes), but I wouldn't cry foul if someone thought it did and that I was running around being a moral drag. And God forbid [me] if I were to ever be utterly lacking in Virtuous Epistemological or Hermeneutical Praxis. Oh, perish the thought!! :rolleyes:

Is any of this making sense to anyone here? Anyone? Anyone? :dontcare:...or am I just speaking out my Existential orifice to a bunch of Hardline Foundationalists?

It seems like you believe an ad hominem is valid as long as the criticism is accurate in some ways that you deem relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0