Mount Morris
✟125,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When it comes to the transfiguration who was was seen Moses and Elijah? With Jesus in between both of them. This was the fulfillment of the law of Moses and of the prophets of old in which (who was with him when this happened seen). It was a picture of the law of Moses being fulfilled and what was spoken of the coming of the messiah fulfillment and it was now time to looks towards Jesus Christ who became the high priest. Thoughts ?
Elijah did come for less than an hour. Yet John the Baptist was the fulfillment of the one in the spirit of Elijah. Both requirements were fulfilled, one way or the other. Except the dreadful day is still future. So Elijah may still come.

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,926.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Elijah the Prophet:
Ecclesiasticus 48:1-10 There arose Elijah, a prophet like fire, whose Word blazed like a torch. By the Word of the Lord, he shut up the sky and three times he called down fire from heaven. By the Word of the Most High, you raised a corpse from the dead. You sent kings and famous men to destruction, how glorious you were, Elijah, in your miracles! You were taken up to heaven in a chariot by a fiery whirlwind. Scripture records that you are to come at the appointed time, to allay the Divine wrath before it destroys us all, to reconcile father and son and to restore the tribes of Jacob. Reference: REB Apocrypha

1 Kings 18:37-38 Answer me, Lord, and let this people know that You are God in Israel and that is You who have brought them back to their allegiance. Then fire from heaven fell, consuming the whole offering, the wood, the stones, the earth and the water in the trench.

Malachi 4:5-6 Look, I will send you the prophet Elijah before the great and terrible Day of the Lord comes. He will reconcile parents to their children, so as to avoid My curse on the Land.

Luke 1:17 John will go before Him as a forerunner, possessed by the power and spirit of Elijah, to reconcile father to child, to convert the rebellious to the ways of the righteous and to prepare a people that shall be fit for the Lord.
Ref: REB Abridged

Now, as the great and terrible Day of the Lord approaches, we can soon expect that someone, somewhere will rise up in the spirit and power of Elijah. It may be that the man himself will appear, as he never died and it is probable that he is one of the two witnesses who preach in Jerusalem during the time of the Anti Christ.

Elijah was the prophet who called down fire from heaven, maybe he will do so again when the Islamic nations and entities commence their attack on Israel.

It will be Elijah who will reconcile families, this mainly refers to the great reconciliation and rejoining of the House of Judah and the House of Israel. Ezekiel 37:15-28

This will lift the Divine curse off the Land and enable the restored tribes of Jacob, the Israelites and now as we know; every faithful Christian believer. They will go to their heritage and be the people fit to welcome Jesus at His Return.

All the holy Land, promised so long ago to the Patriarchs, will be cleared and cleansed by the forthcoming Day of the Lord’s judgement and punishment by fire from God’s storehouse, Deuteronomy 32:34-35, the sun. Isaiah 30:25-30

• Informative
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I don't accept that the two witnesses are Moses and Elijah, their role isn't restorative anyway.

Jesus said "when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" Luke 18:8

So there is no restoration to come from an Elijah character.

After the lake of fire, the one on the throne says "behold I make all things new"

This is the restoration of all things.

The two witnesses are called candlesticks in Revelation 11:4, which are described as churches in Revelation 1:20. The two churches are Smyrna and Philadelphia... the others need purging John 15:2-7.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Upon the children of disobedience; the children of Israel who rejected the messiah and who’s blood was on their hands thus the wrath would be poured upon them.

The "lost sheep of the house Israel" were in Galilee of the Nations and received the great light, and this is where Jesus taught the multutudes. The kingdom was still divided in those days, with the 10 tribes north of Samaria, and the 2 tribes of Judah south of Samaria. His own rejected Him... Judea tried to kill Him early on, John 7... but the 10 tribes had Galilean Apostles to prove they didn't reject Jesus. In fact, they had been looking for Him when He found them. Judah/Jerusalem had the Kingdom of God taken from them when they killed Him for His inheritance, Matthew 21:43. But the Galilean Apostles took the Gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven to the lost sheep of the house of Israel in Matthew 10:6-7, and will do so until the end, Matthew 24:14. The message remained the same after the Resurrection and Return, Matthew 28:18-20.

Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, ligurain

Matthew 27:24-66
New International Version

24 When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “It is your responsibility!

25 All the people answered, “His blood is on us and on our children!

26 Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.

the children of disobedience of the Jewish peoples, in that day.

Matthew 27:24-29

Youngs Literal Translation

24 And Pilate having seen that it profiteth nothing, but rather a tumult is made, having taken water, he did wash the hands before the multitude, saying, `I am innocent from the blood of this righteous one; ye -- ye shall see;'

25 and all the people answering said, `His blood [is] upon us, and upon our children!'

26 Then did he release to them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, he delivered [him] up that he may be crucified;

27 then the soldiers of the governor having taken Jesus to the Praetorium, did gather to him all the band;

28 and having unclothed him, they put around him a crimson cloak,

29 and having plaited him a crown out of thorns they put [it] on his head, and a reed in his right hand, and having kneeled before him, they were mocking him, saying, `Hail, the king of the Jews.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 11:11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subjected to violence, and violent people have been raiding it. 13 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.

Looks like some of you don't accept that John the Baptist was the Elijah to come even though Jesus said he was. Jesus knew people would have trouble accepting that, which is why He said what He did in Matthew 11:14. You should accept what Jesus said regardless of your doctrine. Change your doctrine to fit what Jesus said instead of trying to change what Jesus said to fit your doctrine.

Malachi 4:6 says regarding the Elijah to come: "He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents". Is that not what John the Baptist did?

Luke 1:13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John....17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

• Winner
Reactions: jeffweedaman
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children
Yes, it is clear that John came in "the spirit and power of Elijah", just as it is evident that He is not
actually Elijah. It was necessary for the Messiah to have a forerunner to fulfill all righteousness.
The question then becomes, do you believe He will come again, and will Elijah come "to restore
ALL things" as spoken by the prophets. Acts 3:21
Malachi states that Elijah would come before "the day of the Lord".
Why does anyone need to change their doctrine to believe that Elijah will come before the
Messiah returns. He was always careful to separate His first coming from the day of vengeance
Isaiah 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,
And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn,
Luke 4:
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord. (He stops in mid verse)
20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down.
And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him.
21 And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.

Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
This is just a mode of speech.

Jesus answered their question directly then corrected their underlying understanding issue stating that he actually already came.

So he came, Jesus said so.

I believe that John wrote under the conditions he tells us about in John 16:13, so that's built into his gospel. I believe the baptist simply didn't know what Jesus knows. Things changed when the Holy Spirit lit upon Jesus and stayed, because John sent from jail to ask Jesus if He was the one they were looking for... when he'd already said the Father sent him to baptize in order to find the one the Spirt lit upon and remained.

The Malachias and Joel verses help fill the millennial gap in Revelation. I believe there are two days of the Lord, one before and one at the end of the Millennium. In Joel, it shows up pretty clearly. The horsemen of Joel are the horsemen of Revelation... and they also seem to be the locusts from the pit.

Joel 2:10 Before them the earth shall be confounded, and the sky shall be shaken: the sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall withdraw their light.LXX

Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions. 29 And on My servants and on my handmaids in those days will I pour out of My Spirit. 30 And I will shew wonders in heaven, and upon the earth, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke. 31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and glorious day of the Lord come. 32 And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved: for in mount Sion and in Jerusalem shall the saved one be as the Lord has said, and they that have glad tidings preached to them, whom the Lord has called.LXX

Revelation 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

I think the seals act like a modern-day table of contents.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Luke 1:17 He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
John the baptist was not Elijah, he was the son of Zacharias, and Elizabeth.
Here is what Jesus said.
Matthew 17:
Jesus answered and said to them, Indeed, Elijah is coming and will restore all things.
(note:John has already been beheaded at this time)
12 But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him
whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands.
13 Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist.
John came in the spirit and power of Elijah to be the forerunner to the Lord, fulfilling
Isaiah 40:3, and Malachi 3:1 See Mark 1:1-3.
When Elijah comes, he will restore all things, as it is stated, and remains unfulfilled.

Acts 3:
Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times
of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,
20 and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before,
21 whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things,
which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.

Matthew 17:9-11 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead. 10 And His Disciples asked Him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come? 11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.KJV

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Hello, ligurain

Matthew 27:24-66
New International Version

24 When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “It is your responsibility!

25 All the people answered, “His blood is on us and on our children!

26 Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.

Matthew 27:24-29

Youngs Literal Translation

24 And Pilate having seen that it profiteth nothing, but rather a tumult is made, having taken water, he did wash the hands before the multitude, saying, `I am innocent from the blood of this righteous one; ye -- ye shall see;'

25 and all the people answering said, `His blood [is] upon us, and upon our children!'

26 Then did he release to them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, he delivered [him] up that he may be crucified;

27 then the soldiers of the governor having taken Jesus to the Praetorium, did gather to him all the band;

28 and having unclothed him, they put around him a crimson cloak,

29 and having plaited him a crown out of thorns they put [it] on his head, and a reed in his right hand, and having kneeled before him, they were mocking him, saying, `Hail, the king of the Jews.'

Jesus was judged not guilty, Matthew 21:42-45.

Matthew 21:37-39 But last of all He sent unto them His Son, saying, They will reverence My Son. But when the husbandmen saw the Son, they said among themselves, This is the Heir; come, let us kill Him, and let us seize on His inheritance. And they caught Him, and cast out of the vineyard, and slew.KJV

Psalms 2:6-9 But I have been made king by Him on Sion His holy mountain, declaring the ordinance of the Lord: the Lord said to Me, Thou art My Son, to-day have I begotten Thee. Ask of Me, and I will give Thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the ends of the earth for Thy possession. Thou shalt rule them with a rod of iron; Thou shalt dash them in pieces as a potter’s vessel.LXX

Revelation 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth My works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: 27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of My Father. 28 And I will give him the morning star. 29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.KJV

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto Me.
helkuo = drag, draw, root: take for oneself

The added word [men] doesn't belong there. The whole Earth literally became His because He was killed. So, this is the other half of the verse where Jesus says the prince of this world has been judged. Had they known what they were doing, they definitely wouldn't have killed Him. Because before that, Jesus says He came only unto the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel with the Kingdom Gospel. After He returned in glory, Matthew 28:18-20 says go unto the nations with the same words I gave to you. Matthew 26:13 makes all of His words the Kingdom Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Ligurian sir, you should know that it is not understood by what you are posting to me.

It was for me to show you where my understanding is who the wrath of God was going to be poured out upon. It was the people who was guilty of the blood shed of the Messiah. Matthew 27:24-29.

Hope that you have a good day, and hope also that you and your family is doing well. Am going to now leave this thread.

Upvote 0

jeffweedaman

Nov 22, 2020
PROSPECT
✟82,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is clear that John came in "the spirit and power of Elijah", just as it is evident that He is not
actually Elijah. It was necessary for the Messiah to have a forerunner to fulfill all righteousness.
The question then becomes, do you believe He will come again, and will Elijah come "to restore
Why does anyone need to change their doctrine to believe that Elijah will come before the
Messiah returns. He was always careful to separate His first coming from the day of vengeance
Isaiah 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,
And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn,
Luke 4:
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord. (He stops in mid verse)
21 And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.

Hi MM

Did not Jesus also proclaim the days of vengeance in Luke 21?

Looks like vengeance began to bear fruit in AD 70.

20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation has come near. 21 Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains. Those who are inside the city must depart. Those who are out in the country must not enter it, 22 because these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Looks like vengeance began to bear fruit in AD 70.
Also Matthew 23:
that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood
of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered
between the temple and the altar.

36 Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
So now, what remains for all the righteous blood that has been shed since 70 A.D.?
Will Israel be restored before the final consummation, to fulfill all the promises of
God made to Israel by all the prophets?

Upvote 0

jeffweedaman

Nov 22, 2020
PROSPECT
✟82,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also Matthew 23:
of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered

So now, what remains for all the righteous blood that has been shed since 70 A.D.?
Will Israel be restored before the final consummation, to fulfill all the promises of

Fulfillment of the promises comes through his shed blood for those that believe. Restoration is all about his blood first and foremost. A literal land promise doesnt seem to be what is in view.

Heb 12
22 But you have come to Mount Zion, the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, to the assembly 23 and congregation of the firstborn, who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous, who have been made perfect, 24 and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks of something better than Abel’s does.

Looks like we are restored and seated in the heavenly realms... as we await the consummation.

25 Take care not to refuse the one who is speaking! For if they did not escape when they refused the one who warned them on earth, how much less shall we, if we reject the one who warns from heaven? 26 Then his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “I will once more shake not only the earth but heaven too.” 27 Now this phrase “once more” indicates the removal of what is shaken, that is, of created things, so that what is unshaken may remain.

This ends the days of vengeance at his second coming.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
actually Elijah.
Clearly, the prophecy is not about the coming of the actual Elijah, but is about the coming of someone like Elijah instead. Jesus said Elijah already came. We should accept that instead of trying to say that Elijah still has to come.

Do I believe Elijah will come again? No. He already came and it was John the Baptist. Jesus said so and that's good enough for me. Acts 3:21 doesn't say anything about Elijah coming again.

That isn't talking about the future day of the Lord when Christ comes again and the heavens and earth are burned up (2 Peter 3:10-12). It's talking about the day of the Lord when Christ came the first time. You're making the mistake of assuming that the phrase "the day of the Lord" has to be speaking of the same thing every time it's used, but that's not the case.

Messiah returns.
Because scripture says he already came and it was John the Baptist. Does your doctrine agree with that? It seems not because you're trying to insist the actual Elijah will come in the future. Despite the fact that Jesus said Elijah already came (just because it was John the Baptist doesn't change that). Where does the prophecy say that Elijah would come twice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also Matthew 23:

Which promises are you referring to exactly?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Clearly, the prophecy is not about the coming of the actual Elijah, but is about the coming of someone like Elijah instead. Jesus said Elijah already came.
How is this clearly not about Elijah? When was this prophecy fulfilled?
4 Remember the Law of Moses, My servant,
Which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel,
With the statutes and judgments.
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet
Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.
6 And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,
And the hearts of the children to their fathers,
Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.
Jesus said Elijah already came. We should accept that instead of trying to say that Elijah still has to come.
Who is we? I do not agree with your understanding.
The statement Jesus made does not mean the Malachi prophecy was fulfilled, nor did He mean
that John the Baptist was literally Elijah. Luke 1:17 states clearly that John was in "the spirit and
power of Elijah.

Acts 3:21 doesn't say anything about Elijah coming again.
Acts 3:21 does say that Christ will remain in heaven until the restoration of all things for Israel
in all the prophets. If you do not believe that, okay, but that is not what "we" have to believe.
The apostles believed.

Acts 1:6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying,
Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?
It's talking about the day of the Lord when Christ came the first time. You're making the mistake of assuming that the phrase "the day of the Lord" has to be speaking of the same thing every time it's used, but that's not the case.
Your mistake is telling me my mistake. Believe what you want, the kingdom of Israel will be restored
prior to 2 Peter 3:10, and all the elements being melted with fervent heat. After that, there will be no
kingdom, just God All, In All. The day of the Lord in this case is in reference to the Malachi prophecy,
which would be on topic. 2 Peter 3:10 is not.

Because scripture says he already came and it was John the Baptist. Does your doctrine agree with that?
Certainly not. John the Baptist coming as a forerunner before Christ in the spirit and power of
Elijah does not fulfill the Malachi prophecy. Where does Jesus say that it does? All He says is that
John was Elijah. So now you want to take that literally? Or are you saying a prophecy was fulfilled
by a statement that was not literal? You know that John was not literally Elijah, right?

It seems not because you're trying to insist the actual Elijah will come in the future. Despite the fact that Jesus said Elijah already came (just because it was John the Baptist doesn't change that). Where does the prophecy say that Elijah would come twice?
Yes it does change that. The scriptures say that Messiah comes twice. The Malachi prophecy is for
the second coming. John was Elijah spiritually for the first coming. This is clearly shown in
Messiah's own interpretation of the Isaiah 61 prophecy:

Isaiah 61:
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn....
When Jesus came, He did not fulfill all prophecy of Isaiah 61,
note where He stopped reading:

Luke 4:
17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah.
And when He had opened the book,
He found the place where it was written:
18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.
Which promises are you referring to exactly?
You can start by going to Isaiah 61 and reading the entire prophecy. Jesus only fulfilled
"the acceptable year of the Lord".

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is this clearly not about Elijah? When was this prophecy fulfilled?
4 Remember the Law of Moses, My servant,
Which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel,
With the statutes and judgments.
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet
Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.
6 And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,
And the hearts of the children to their fathers,
Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.

Who is we? I do not agree with your understanding.
The statement Jesus made does not mean the Malachi prophecy was fulfilled, nor did He mean
that John the Baptist was literally Elijah. Luke 1:17 states clearly that John was in "the spirit and
power of Elijah.

Acts 3:21 does say that Christ will remain in heaven until the restoration of all things for Israel
in all the prophets. If you do not believe that, okay, but that is not what "we" have to believe.
The apostles believed.

Acts 1:6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying,
Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?

Your mistake is telling me my mistake. Believe what you want, the kingdom of Israel will be restored
prior to 2 Peter 3:10, and all the elements being melted with fervent heat. After that, there will be no
kingdom, just God All, In All. The day of the Lord in this case is in reference to the Malachi prophecy,
which would be on topic. 2 Peter 3:10 is not.

Certainly not. John the Baptist coming as a forerunner before Christ in the spirit and power of
Elijah does not fulfill the Malachi prophecy. Where does Jesus say that it does? All He says is that
John was Elijah. So now you want to take that literally? Or are you saying a prophecy was fulfilled
by a statement that was not literal? You know that John was not literally Elijah, right?

Yes it does change that. The scriptures say that Messiah comes twice. The Malachi prophecy is for
the second coming. John was Elijah spiritually for the first coming. This is clearly shown in
Messiah's own interpretation of the Isaiah 61 prophecy:

Isaiah 61:
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn....
When Jesus came, He did not fulfill all prophecy of Isaiah 61,
note where He stopped reading:

Luke 4:
17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah.
And when He had opened the book,
He found the place where it was written:
18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

You can start by going to Isaiah 61 and reading the entire prophecy. Jesus only fulfilled
"the acceptable year of the Lord".
You're just not getting it. This is very simple. Jesus said that John the Baptist was the Elijah to come. Why aren't you accepting what Jesus said? Of course I'm not saying John the Baptist was literally Elijah. Don't be silly. What you're not getting is that the prophecy is not about the literal Elijah. It's about someone who would be like Elijah, which was John the Baptist. Plenty of things in the Old Testament were a mystery until they were revealed in the New Testament. This is another one of those things.

You say Malachi 4 isn't about John the Baptist? Then why is Malachi 4:6 quoted in reference to John the Baptist?

Malachi 4:5 “See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”

Luke 1:13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John....17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

Can you see here how Luke directly quoted Malachi 4:6 in Luke 1:17 and applied it to John the Baptist? With that being the case, how can you say that Malachi 4 doesn't have to do with John the Baptist?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You're just not getting it. This is very simple. Jesus said that John the Baptist was the Elijah to come. Why aren't you accepting what Jesus said? Of course I'm not saying John the Baptist was literally Elijah. Don't be silly. What you're not getting is that the prophecy is not about the literal Elijah. It's about someone who would be like Elijah, which was John the Baptist. Plenty of things in the Old Testament were a mystery until they were revealed in the New Testament. This is another one of those things.
That is fine by me. We don't have to agree, and I don't have to get what you are offering.
That would be silly. Thanks for your post. I was already familiar with that interpretation, but
you have every right to post it. On the other hand, when I take 30 minutes to reply to your post,
and you fire right back that I don't get it, then the discussion is finished. Good night.

Upvote 0

jeffweedaman

Nov 22, 2020
PROSPECT
✟82,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lk 7
26 What did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 27 This is the one about whom it is written, ‘Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you.’ 28 I tell you, among those born of women no one is greater than John. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he is.

John was greater than Elijah even though he went forth in the Spirit of Elijah , so why send him again?

Upvote 0