When did the Messianic movement start?

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
Like mother, like daughter... it is hard to rid thyself of family traditions.

Ask anyone who has dropped Christmas, what their families reaction was?

Messsianic have come from many sources... from the Jewish community in the 1800's, from the protestant persecution history, from outreach branches of the protestant faith... each with the own baggage. This movement, the Lord will lead, and man will not be able to control.

Upvote 0
M

Mikeb85

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What does Messianic have to do with Catholic? (Seriously asking)

Unless you accept some form of Judeo-Christianity as the legitimate form of the Early Church for both gentiles and Jews, you essentially end up having to live with a kind of proto-catholic/orthodox church as the Early Church, aka the model upon which to build contemporary faith communities. For those chrstians who find this idea appalling, they have a strong motivation to promote ONLY the church as it existed during the time of the apostles, before its gentilization, as the only legitimate form to emulate, and subsequent types, even second generation churches, as illigitimate and heretical.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nothing in my opinion... but there are some who think otherwise.
There is actually a growing movement of Hebrew Catholics. They range from those who simply have a sentimentality about their Jewish ancestry to those who, like Contra, observe mitzvot. In South America it is much stronger, and there is less hostility from the Jewish community towards observant Hebrew Catholics (because they are actually Jews) than towards Messianics (who are pretty much protestant gentiles, and who they consider a cult). If you visit http://mx.geocities.com/bneitzion/english/english.html you can see how the different communities are coordinated by Richard Gamboa of Columbia. The Chief Rabbi of Columbia allows for Richard Gamboa to continue davening within the Jewish community, and so he has never broken ties. (Not that he does Catholic-talk while in shul).

There are outreach programs for Caholics though.

Ummmm, is it permissable to paste anti-Catholic links in CF? It seems it would be very awkward if CF allows for a forum like OBOB, affirms that Catholics come under the umbrella of its statement of faith, and then allow posting of an inflammatory website?????? Just asking.

Well, vis, you've come a long long long ways. You actually had a link in both directions. I'm really actually very impressed. Too cool, my sis.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So very true.

Here's another. This time an Ethiopian church, and a very interesting story of how it was found. :)

http://www.africanews.com/site/list_messages/12282

Wow! That's like bizarrely fascinating! Kind of like Indiana Jones meets the Virgin Mary in a Bhurka. And even cooler... the mystery is ongoing. What strange thing is it that is making those in the local community phsycially and mentally sick (and prone to visions)? And what is the mysterious language and what does the inscription say?

Stay tuned!

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where may I ask are you getting your information? Sources please.

For example, the very phrase, "Messianic Judaism" did not even exist until the Hebrew Christian Alliance of America, an organization which had hitherto been an association of protestants of Jewish descent, renamed their organization in 1975 to the Messianic Jewish Alliance of America (MJAA). It was part of an awakening to the fact of "Hey, I'm not just a Christian of Jewish descent. I'm actually a Jew. J-E-W Jew. But I also have these Christian beliefs. What am I gonna do?"

THAT was the beginning of the Messianic movement -- an awakening of JEWISH IDENTITY among Jews who were in the churches and a desire to explore what that meant.

The fact that it resembles in some ways what existed among the apostles and first believers is an idea with some merit. However, the Netzarim were effectively obliterated, and there is therefore no continuity between that early community what is today Messianic Judaism.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
as far as the catholic/jewish connection goes - when i was a teenager (and active in the jewish religion) i went to a catholic church with a friend. i found it very similar to a jewish service. they both had parts in a foreign language (hebrew or latin) which i did not understand, they both had lots of similar decoration and costume for the priests, they both had lots of ritual, they both had lots of standing up and sitting down and both were boring.
hide.gif
duck.gif
bag.gif
Bolt.gif

Upvote 0

Kris10leigh

Actively seeking conversion
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,078.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
as far as the catholic/jewish connection goes - when i was a teenager (and active in the jewish religion) i went to a catholic church with a friend. i found it very similar to a jewish service. they both had parts in a foreign language (hebrew or latin) which i did not understand, they both had lots of similar decoration and costume for the priests, they both had lots of ritual, they both had lots of standing up and sitting down and both were boring.
hide.gif
duck.gif
bag.gif
Bolt.gif

Worthy of a hearty ^_^!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
In the mid nineteenth century in Kishineff the capital of Bessarabia, during a time of intense persecution by Russia, Joseph Rabbinovitch, a Jewish lawyer and teacher discovered Yeshua as Messiah. He went to the Holy Land, convinced that salvation for the Jews would only come through a return. On his arrival he began reading a New Testament, which he had been assured would give a reliable description of historic locations. As he read, he became convince that Jesus was/is the Messiah. He went home convinced of the need to share his newly fulfilled faith in its thoroughly Jewish context. All of this was accomplished between Rabinovitch and the Holy Spirit, and not by preaching from a Christian. The truth was available to a man who was open to receive it. This movement was the first to use the term "Messianic Jew"

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the mid nineteenth century in Kishineff the capital of Bessarabia, during a time of intense persecution by Russia, Joseph Rabbinovitch, a Jewish lawyer and teacher discovered Yeshua as Messiah. He went to the Holy Land, convinced that salvation for the Jews would only come through a return. On his arrival he began reading a New Testament, which he had been assured would give a reliable description of historic locations. As he read, he became convince that Jesus was/is the Messiah. He went home convinced of the need to share his newly fulfilled faith in its thoroughly Jewish context. All of this was accomplished between Rabinovitch and the Holy Spirit, and not by preaching from a Christian. The truth was available to a man who was open to receive it. This movement was the first to use the term "Messianic Jew"
Please CITE the original source document from the 19th century that uses the phrase "Messianic Jew." I'm genuinely curious, as I am under the impression that this phrase was coined by MJAA. If you can provide for me that document from the 1800's, it will alter my opinion on this subject. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
When did the Messianic movement start?

Does it draw out Hebrew Catholics?

Long before there were Roman Catholics...

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Some say even sooner...

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

But if you refer to the human movement rather than God's Messianic plan, then I would have to confess ignorance. I agree with Visionary that it began as early Christianity. It was an entirely Jewish born Church in those days. And many of the prophets and apostles taught from synagogue settings before ousted.

It was that ousting and the subsequent absorbtion of The Romanized Church which makes it difficult to trace where (what we call today) the Messianic Movement... even the Baptists claim direct descendants from before the Roman absorbtion but are hard pressed to prove it.

I get the impression that the more modern MM is just that modern.

Here's a link to see what's been written on wikipedia

Regards...

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
Last edited:
Upvote 0